The Casemiro/Mount/Bruno midfield

Infra-red

But they were right? You're being ignorant here. I think it was Simon Stone who said he was reshaping the midfield to play both Bruno and Mount, which is exactly what is happening. Don't you agree? What we saw tonight is exactly what the journalists said they were told was the plan.

Also, why else would our primary target be a replacement for VDB? Why would we be only interested in budget midfielders like Amrabat? All the evidence is there before us that he's decided to change our midfield. He clearly wants Casemiro sitting alone, with either Shaw or Martinez tucked up next to him in certain phases of play.
With all due respect if you think Mason Mount came here for 250k a week for 55 million to be a deputy/rotation right midfield option then youre out of your mind.
Same kinda thinking as those who think Raya has gone to Arsenal to be number two.
If you are both right and I am wrong and Ten Hag really thinks a midfield of Casemiro sitting deep with Mount and Fernandes playing their usual #8/#10 roles is the way we should play this season, then hopefully tonight has given him pause for thought regarding the wisdom of that decision. That midfield setup has us at a massive disadvantage in any competitive game (outside perhaps of home matches against relegation fodder or lower league opponents in the cups).

Marwood

There's nothing wrong with the idea, its the execution of the idea that's badly lacking.

ETH was right to point out how cheaply we turned the ball over tonight. Until we can keep the ball better and sustain attacks, we will keep getting countered on.

We have to remember this place was dead against the double-pivot under Ole, and now that a manager is trying to move away from that, all I have seen is people posting about buying Caicedo to play next to Casemiro.

We didn't really play ETHs style of football last season, so there's still going to be tonnes to work on. It was very poor tonight but we should be giving it time
Is the problem with the execution the individuals though? Can that three ever execute it properly?

FreakyJim

90% of teams play better football than us
When I dared suggesting in the Mount transfer thread that this midfield will be bad “off the ball”, I was quoted about 100 times in the space of a few minutes, basically called an idiot.

But anyway, Bruno, Casemiro, Rashford and I’d say most of our players aren’t suited for the football ETH wants us to play. We’re a counter attacking team that should just sit back and lump it forward. We should never ever try outplaying good teams.

CM

I predict that this thread will crop up on the top page of Redcafe numerous times this season

ZupZup

I’d like to have seen us hijack Roma’s bid to get Paredes from PSG. He’d offer us something different in midfield being more like a Carrick type who sets the tempo and passes exceptionally well… and he’s going for less money than we got for Fred. Sadly, it’ll never happen.

Infra-red

When I dared suggesting in the Mount transfer thread that this midfield will be bad “off the ball”, I was quoted about 100 times in the space of a few minutes, basically called an idiot.

But anyway, Bruno, Casemiro, Rashford and I’d say most of our players aren’t suited for the football ETH wants us to play. We’re a counter attacking team that should just sit back and lump it forward. We should never ever try outplaying good teams.
We'd need a striker capable of heading the ball to do that - we don't have one at the club. Anyway, we're better than that - I agree we should be looking to play on the break rather than attempt to control possession, but in practical terms that should mean a side that looks more like United 06-09 than Tony Pulis' Stoke City.

Newtonius

Definitely not going to work if the idea of exploiting wide areas has to come from Garnacho/Antony and AWB i know that much.

Cloud7

This isn’t really specific to today’s match, nor is it really specific to this midfield, but I’m not sure where else to put this question.

Why does our midfield and attack always look so lacking in physicality compared to other teams? A good example today is Cunha who seemed able to just run through multiple players at will. Even in games where we’ve won, there always seem to be an opposition player or two who are able to do this, but no one in our team ever seems to be able to. You don’t see anyone with that running power or physical presence. And this has seemed to be the case for the last few managers.

Is this a setup issue or a personnel issue?

AneRu

Is the problem with the execution the individuals though? Can that three ever execute it properly?
They can't because none of them is a possession player so if you can't keep the ball you are always vulnerable to the counter. It gets worse when you have a sluggish Casemiro and maybe Ten Hag doesn't know it but Luke Shaw isn't the smartest bloke around so all these instructions about inverting and underlapping are a bit too much for him. We will get slaughtered by better teams if ETH doesn't wisen up quickly.

pocco

loco
Keep a clean shit tomorrow, United is my final bus
I think the intended set-up is fine(having 2 #8s in front a #6), but I don't like Casemiro as the deepest midfielder during build-up phases and I actually think he's the biggest problem in this set-up.

I'm surprised Ten Hag thinks he's fine for the role.
Well you are right. But it would take somebody like prime Kante to make it work. Though as @glazed mentioned, even he would struggle and functioned best when paired with a deeper midfielder like Jorginho who had some defensive ability too go with his top level passing ability. We have neither.

Even if we had the best DM around that could cover ground amazingly well, Bruno and Mount is just a bad balance ahead of that. We should have found a go between that could supplement Casemiro and Bruno. In my opinion Caicedo was that man.

A key piece of context here (which I don't have the answer to) is why this shift towards that particular set-up is suddenly taking place?

It's clearly not a coincidence that all these managers have decided to move towards these double AM systems at the same time, they're obviously responding to tactical shifts in the game, but without knowing how costly it would/wouldn't be for us not to follow suit it's hard to judge the wisdom of wanting to move us in that direction too.

Because in isolation this isn't what I would have thought the obvious set-up for our team in particular would be, but clearly something is prompting managers to think this is the solution du jour.
It's interesting but I think it's largely trying to copy City. I think City have done it to help beat teams that pack the back line as it allows more options to rotate across the front, different runners in behind and to play between the lines with more option.

The issue is that City have defenders that have more class on the ball than our better players. John Stones played us off the park in the FA Cup final when he stepped into midfield. Their defenders are essentially their deep playmakers. Arsenal might make it work because their team is far better in possession and under pressure. Us however, its just not suitable for our players. I had hoped ETH would have more of an affect on improving us in possession, but that hasn't been the case really, not to a good enough extent.

A midfield of enzo Caicedo & Lavia would destroy this lot. Hopefully we get our shit together somehow.
Unfortunately I think that's inevitable now, we simply aren't going to buy a new midfield anytime soon.

Ludens the Red

If you are both right and I am wrong and Ten Hag really thinks a midfield of Casemiro sitting deep with Mount and Fernandes playing their usual #8/#10 roles is the way we should play this season, then hopefully tonight has given him pause for thought regarding the wisdom of that decision. That midfield setup has us at a massive disadvantage in any competitive game (outside perhaps of home matches against relegation fodder or lower league opponents in the cups).
That’s just the problem. When mount signed I expected either a different style of football or mount to play deeper. The thing about Mason Mount is he’s clearly an adaptable footballer. Many great managers have altered players and put them in different roles to great success so I genuinely thought Ten Hag signed him with this thought process in mind. However the Mount were seeing is the Mount from before. He’s not doing anything to alter his game and so it’s making our set up look like a complete mess.

Marwood

They can't because none of them is a possession player so if you can't keep the ball you are always vulnerable to the counter. It gets worse when you have a sluggish Casemiro and maybe Ten Hag doesn't know it but Luke Shaw isn't the smartest bloke around so all these instructions about inverting and underlapping are a bit too much for him. We will get slaughtered by better teams if ETH doesn't wisen up quickly.
Agree with you. It doesn't work as a three on or off the ball. Amazing the people at the club thought it would.

Abandoning it in the first game says it all.

Drives me nuts stuff like this. Building a cohesive team doesn't need to be this complicated.

ayushreddevil9

Foootball hinders the adrenaline of transfers.

Yeah I'm starting to think this is the case. We just dont have players that are obsessed with the ball and can control any sort of rythm. And we dont even try to buy any of those players.

saivet

Happened to a lot of people. Being excellent at pressing high or being a good defensive attacker does not mean you are good defensively. Positioning is as important as anything. Perhaps its a tactical problem for ETH to solve but this midfield will struggle on the transition..and it will happen a lot as they won't control the game as well as we'd like.

ayushreddevil9

Foootball hinders the adrenaline of transfers.
I don’t understand how this happens after an entire pre-season working together. I hate seeing Bruno this high up the pitch.
This is on the manager. I dont believe that these players are dumb enough to not even offer themselves as a passing option.

Leftback99

Might have a bedwetting fetish.
This isn’t really specific to today’s match, nor is it really specific to this midfield, but I’m not sure where else to put this question.

Why does our midfield and attack always look so lacking in physicality compared to other teams? A good example today is Cunha who seemed able to just run through multiple players at will. Even in games where we’ve won, there always seem to be an opposition player or two who are able to do this, but no one in our team ever seems to be able to. You don’t see anyone with that running power or physical presence. And this has seemed to be the case for the last few managers.

Because they are lacking in physicality. Bruno, Antony, Rashford, Garnacho, Mount can run but they are easily pushed of the ball. Casemiro is strong but can't run. We might be the weakest team physically in the league.

It was one thing (maybe the only thing) Rangnick pointed out that he was right on.

CloneMC16

I think it's a personnel issue. We have very few physical players that can ball carry through the midfield. The only midfielder that can do it is McTominay. It's probably his best asset, but his all around game is nowhere near good enough. I also think Shaw and AWB are quite physical, and can ball carry well. Nobody else in the squad does it/is capable of it.

Our midfield lacks steel. Even though Mount is better than Eriksen defensively, he's still not the most physical player. I expect us to see players running straight through our midfield quite regularly.

Red the Bear

Something less generic
I’d like to have seen us hijack Roma’s bid to get Paredes from PSG. He’d offer us something different in midfield being more like a Carrick type who sets the tempo and passes exceptionally well… and he’s going for less money than we got for Fred. Sadly, it’ll never happen.
I don't think he's good enough, might be worth a shot though if we get desperate.

glazed

Eats diamonds to beat thermodynamics
It was very strange how Wolves were able to mount so many attacks in such a short space of time. Keeping the ball should be basic for players at this level.

AndyMUFC

Yeah the jury is already out after one game, especially when our press is so half arsed. Eriksen may be playing more games than we thought.

AneRu

Agree with you. It doesn't work as a three on or off the ball. Amazing the people at the club thought it would.

Abandoning it in the first game says it all.

Drives me nuts stuff like this. Building a cohesive team doesn't need to be this complicated.
But it helps no one when you have pissed £60m down the drain buying a player for that tactic with little to no research on how it would work in a competitive game. What scares me is that this is a potential bottom three team this season, what if our season opener was Liverpool and we came in with such a weak midfield?

TMDaines

Fun sponge.
This is on the manager. I dont believe that these players are dumb enough to not even offer themselves as a passing option.
You saw it immediately in the first 10 minutes. Onana was on the ball. Wolves went man-to-man and not a soul moved to the find the ball to begin progressing it. It went to the centre backs and they couldn’t find anyone else.

I’m sure the manager will think tonight was atrocious. He won’t have been happy with that. We’ve generally been very good at home under him. That was worse than anything we served up at home last season.

Cloud7

I think it's a personnel issue. We have very few physical players that can ball carry through the midfield. The only midfielder that can do it is McTominay. It's probably his best asset, but his all around game is nowhere near good enough. I also think Shaw and AWB are quite physical, and can ball carry well. Nobody else in the squad does it/is capable of it.

Our midfield lacks steel. Even though Mount is better than Eriksen defensively, he's still not the most physical player. I expect us to see players running straight through our midfield quite regularly.
Oh I agree with you on the defence, which is why I specified the midfield and the forward line. All of Shaw, Dalot and AWB are powerful runners, Shaw especially.

Because they are lacking in physicality. Bruno, Antony, Rashford, Garnacho, Mount can run but they are easily pushed of the ball. Casemiro is strong but can't run. We might be the weakest team physically in the league.

It was one thing (maybe the only thing) Rangnick pointed out that he was right on.
Solid points. Don’t remember Ralf saying that but then he said everything was bad so I started filtering him out after a while :lol:

CloneMC16

I don’t understand how this happens after an entire pre-season working together. I hate seeing Bruno this high up the pitch.
Bruno pretty consistently plays like this. It must be tactical. He plays deeper in midfield for Portugal. There are very few games I remember him playing deeper in midfielder for us. When he has, he's usually played extremely well.

FriedClams

Bruno will have to play deeper, there's no getting away from it. He looked great there at times last season, and definitely has it in his locker. I imagine we weren't quite expecting Wolves to play like 1970s Brazil, and that's part of the reason why we left Casemiro so exposed but Their manager even said it in his post game interview, all they did was try and create 4 versus 3 through the middle but because we were so advanced and gave the ball away over 80 times, it became 3v1 most of the time in there. It was shocking stuff, and could have been fixed by asking Bruno just to sit, the fact we allowed it to keep happening doesn't bode well. Feel like we just showed up and thought we would win today, expecting a much better performance versus Spurs.

TMDaines

Fun sponge.
Bruno pretty consistently plays like this. It must be tactical. He plays deeper in midfield for Portugal. There are very few games I remember him playing deeper in midfielder for us. When he has, he's usually played extremely well.
Yep. He’s a midfielder for me and not a 10. At his best receiving the ball deeper with the game in front of him and options to pass to.

Big Ray

Such an overrated player. Yes, he can pull off some amazing assists and passes but most of the time he cant even do the simple 5-10 yard passes right. So frustrating and I would take odegaard over him in a heartbeat. A possession based team like ten hag needs more players like odegaard and less players like Bruno.

Big Ray

I'd love to see Mount as the 10. Play Bruno deeper where he has a bit more time to think and potentially make more measured passing.
It won’t work. He cannot defend to save his life. We need an amrabat in there beside the fading Casemiro. Someone who can
Control and keep possession like scholes or Carrick used to, but has the bite, positional know how and 6th sense to cut things out.

CloneMC16

Yep. He’s a midfielder for me and not a 10. At his best receiving the ball deeper with the game in front of him and options to pass to.
I really do like seeing him play deeper in midfield. He helps us to progress with his long range passing.

This game worries me, because it reminds me of what kept happening during the early portion of 21/22. We pushed the midfield up high. We lose the ball and teams ran straight through us every game. ETH has to change the setup.

theatreofdreams777

Why do we have an obsession with signing players & playing them out of position? Is there any other team that does it?

Abraxas

It's clear in this setup that Shaw, Martinez, and to some extent the right back are supposed to do most of the deeper buildup (which is a worry in itself when your RB is AWB, as reasonable as he was tonight). He wants Bruno and Mount receiving it between the lines and turning with the pace and power of Rashford and Hojlund to be opening up space.

Whether that actually works in reality...I'm not sure. I think you need more consistency of build up. Even teams that play very attacking setups tend to have a midfielder that will knit things together (see Rodri for an elite example). Casemiro isn't the best at that. Maybe we put the cart before the horse with this idea.

However it does need a bit more time. Preseason and this game are not promising but it's quite an extreme way of playing that may take some knitting together.