The Casemiro/Mount/Bruno midfield

hobbers

Bottom line is there is no way to accommodate Bruno and Mount on the pitch together, unless one of them is playing right wing.

Best case is Mount turns out to be the next Beckham, but feck me his set pieces are already looking shite.

RedDevilCanuck

Quite dreamy - blue eyes, blond hair, tanned skin
It was so obvious we needed de Jong. So he didn't want to come. Our scouts have to identify a quality player with similar attributes.

I don't buy that there are no players out there like him.

Every team now presses. If you can't deal with it you go nowhere.

We've spent a fortune again and didn't do anything to address our inability to deal with pressure and pass the ball from deep.

El Jefe

I'd argue that none of Casemiro, Mount or Bruno are suitable for that system.

Casemiro needs a player in midfield next to him and Mount/Bruno each need two midfielders behind them.
Very true. The profile of our midfielders makes zero sense for a team that wants to be possession based.

Not one midfielder in our team is press resistant in deeper areas of pitch. Mainoo is probably the best and that says everything.

Fortitude

TV/Monitor Expert
Scout
Fairly, things do take a period of time to work, with the players organically finding their collective feet and growing together. But, if you can't even make an impression against an absolutely awful Wolves side, at home - a Wolves side who look dead certs to be fighting to stay in the division - you are starting so far behind the proverbial line that even the best of what the system with these personnel is supposed to provide, mightn't be worth the batterings it took to get them up to any kind of par. Fitness may also be factored, but the questions around: is the final product worth the grief? Still remain.

And I said this so many times: we're going to run Casemiro into the ground by November if we don't improve emphatically when it comes to controlling games and preventing them from being these wild, back and forth affairs.

The midfield has no connective tissue; a player who wants to link the play and thread the ball time and time and time again to others in red - the plan with all this verticality is getting the ball from A to C as quickly as possible, but if you're not able to control "B" as and when you want, you're creating a rod for your own back and a very chaotic and exhausting style of play.

Mount is getting a lot of stick, like he's the problem, but the reality is Bruno isn't a central midfielder either, so it's not one will thrive whilst the other lacks; instead we have two players who do their best work going forward from the top-end of central midfield, not working deeper into the central areas securing and settling play before then being progressive. I am not convinced you can bridge that because you're working away from the natural instincts of players and when the pressure is on, it's only natural to revert to type. Problem is, that pressure shouldn't be on against a side like Wolves - the top 10 teams in the league? Sure, but it's a bad sign against relegation fodder.

We can talk about what's supposed to happen in terms of support from inversion to flank Casemiro, but if we lose the ball so rapidly as we did today, that midfield adjustment doesn't even have enough time to form, let alone be settled and effective - what we saw today is what many of us have spoken about, and that's: the players high up the pitch using the ball poorly, losing it, and leaving Casemiro in no-mans land with far too much space to cover by himself.

ETH isn't Van Gaal, and he's likely to stick with this for quite some time yet. Ultimately it would be fantastic if he's proven right in doing so, but I think the opposite is going to happen and we're going to face some adversity or hammering(s) that force change. Why? because controlling games is far too difficult for the players we have. Perhaps we get a midfielder or two in with the qualities needed to control games, but if they're then utilised, doesn't it mark the end of this project anyway? I think ultimately, one will assume the AM and the other will go to the flank with whoever comes in taking over those #8 CM/AM duties whilst being the connector this midfield sorely lacks.

Bastian

Supports
Mejbri
It was so obvious we needed de Jong. So he didn't want to come. Our scouts have to identify a quality player with similar attributes.

We've spent a fortune again and didn't do anything to address our inability to deal with pressure and pass the ball from deep.
Step forth Sir Mejbri. I do agree though. But out of all our players, Mejbri is the one closest in ability to that type of player.

glazed

Eats diamonds to beat thermodynamics
The real problem is that we are sacrificing a defensive midfielder to play three up front when we don't actually have a centre forward who makes it worth the effort. Hopefully the new guy will fix that. Meanwhile Martinez will have to step up a lot more as will our fancy new sweeper/keeper.

That's a lot of things to sort out. Gonna be a long season. City, Newcastle and Arsenal will batter us on today's performance.

Mockney

Not the only poster to be named Poster of the Year
The main problem IMO is that we look realy soft. We’re a team of energetic weaklings and you can only get away with that if your midfield has an incredibly high pass accuracy or game reading skills, which at the moment accounts for about 1.5 of our 4 options on a good day. Otherwise you need to be physically robust, and that accounts for about 0.5, and that’s all basically Casemiro.

Redplane

( . Y . ) planned for Christmas

Yep. One need only look at the game against Getafe the other day. It was a battlefield (seriously..watch the highlights...ho-lee-shit) to appreciate what a player like that does. He keeps that midfield together like a battle commander. A beacon of calmth in a violent ocean.

mav_9me

I am so depressed. Genuinely so so down. My worst fears have been realized. If fecking wolves can do this at our home....I realize I'm an armchair idiot fan and ETH is a great manager but this midfield is a disaster as predicted by everyone. Sigh.

Eddy_JukeZ

I am so depressed. Genuinely so so down. My worst fears have been realized. If fecking wolves can do this at our home....I realize I'm an armchair idiot fan and ETH is a great manager but this midfield is a disaster as predicted by everyone. Sigh.
We were terrible, but it's just 1 game. We lost our opening games last season and people thought top 4 was far out of reach.

We won't play this bad consistently. If we do, then we can worry.

Blood Mage

I mean just look at our midfield on paper and compare it to the clubs we're competing with. So poor. We should have signed Amrabat and Lavia (who would have cost less than Mount, sigh).

tenhagsimp

In theory it would work (City and Arse was playing with this setup) but I still think we need more gametime together from them to make it better. Our attacker bar Antony was horrible today. Garnacho keep running into Semedo like a wall and Rashford was invisible. Cant blame the midfielders if the attackers decide to take a day off

We were terrible, but it's just 1 game. We lost our opening games last season and people thought top 4 was far out of reach. I would be worried if by the end of September we still play like this

This. Didnt we hammer swansea or derby or whoever 4-1 during Moyes EPL debut ? Goes downhill from there for sure. Would be worried if by September we still play like this

noodlehair

"It's like..."
It's just a really dumb idea that needs to die a death very quickly, but probably wont because Ten Hag has prioritised signing Mount presumably just to implement it.

I was surprised just how bad Mount was, but then a lot of it was made to look worse because there was no midfield behind him...and Ten Hag seems to think he played well. He offered literally nothing in an attacking or ball winning sense, either lost or pulled out of every single challenge he went for, constantly let Wolves players run off him and kept sacrificing his position to chase the ball around like a kid in the playground. I thought he was a complete disaster, but then he played the same way he does for England and was just put in a role that made it into a massive problem.

Its destroying my faith in Ten Hag tbh because its just such a clearly terrible idea and the performance tonight was so obvious. He's relying on Mount and Fernandes to dictate our play and break up opposition attacks before they start, when both play too advanced to do that and neither are aggressive and/or positionally disciplined enough to do it anyway. Fernandes is also too direct to be used in any sort of controlling role and Mount I've never seen show anything to suggest he has the quality to do it. He can play a nice flick or return ball around the box but he isn't going to get on the turn and start dictating and forcing the opposition to back off him. Casemiro is the only one of the three who can control a game in possession and he can't do it when he's got to cover the midfield ground of 3 players on his own and constantly try to plug gaps.

This is why Eriksen was so important last season, because we needed the extra midfielder who could get on the turn and dictate a game without sacrificing their position. Now we've gone 2 steps backwards. People saying its only one game but these problems aren't going to magically go away or be a one off, because you can't expect players to just change what they are good at to suit a manager's crazy ideas.

Valencia Shin Crosses

Mount might have different expectations but a rotation player is exactly what he'll be.

Most fans know before a ball is kicked this midfield won't work. It isn't balanced.

I'm always baffled when supporters can see basic stuff the decision makers at the club can't.

We should have used the Mount money to buy a proper CM.
Casemiro/Caicedo/Bruno is a fecking rockstar midfield yet we tried the hipster way without the right players to do it. Frustrating decisions

Valencia Shin Crosses

It's just a really dumb idea that needs to die a death very quickly, but probably wont because Ten Hag has prioritised signing Mount presumably just to implement it.

I was surprised just how bad Mount was, but then a lot of it was made to look worse because there was no midfield behind him...and Ten Hag seems to think he played well. He offered literally nothing in an attacking or ball winning sense, either lost or pulled out of every single challenge he went for, constantly let Wolves players run off him and kept sacrificing his position to chase the ball around like a kid in the playground. I thought he was a complete disaster, but then he played the same way he does for England and was just put in a role that made it into a massive problem.

Its destroying my faith in Ten Hag tbh because its just such a clearly terrible idea and the performance tonight was so obvious. He's relying on Mount and Fernandes to dictate our play and break up opposition attacks before they start, when both play too advanced to do that and neither are aggressive and/or positionally disciplined enough to do it anyway. Fernandes is also too direct to be used in any sort of controlling role and Mount I've never seen show anything to suggest he has the quality to do it. He can play a nice flick or return ball around the box but he isn't going to get on the turn and start dictating and forcing the opposition to back off him. Casemiro is the only one of the three who can control a game in possession and he can't do it when he's got to cover the midfield ground of 3 players on his own.

This is why Eriksen was so important last season, because we needed the extra midfielder who could get on the turn and dictate a game. Now we've gone 2 steps backwards.
Pretty much. Bruno is at his best when he's allowed to mainly focus on pressing and creating from behind the forwards. Any other position he falters because he's too chaotic and not good enough on the ball, but stick him in front of a pivot and he'll create chances for days. Case and a more mobile shuttling midfielder besides him and we'd be set in the midfield against an opposition in the world.

al tuna

It's plain as day that we need an enforcer in the midfield. Think the Everton fella can do a job, along with Mainoo. We need reinforcements and hopefully after today's incredibly lucky result EtH will have someone's ear and get at least one midfielder in.

Beachryan

More helpful with spreadsheets than Phurry
Maintain tonight was on two problems, and Mount wasn't them:
1. Casemiro refusing to play as the deepest, most-defensively minded midfielder (at least until his legs went in the 75th minute or so)
2. Bruno having his worst match for us by a country mile

For this type of midfield to work, Casemiro has to basically stay in his own half, and Bruno/Mount have to get closer to him. The coaching is all off imo, with Casemiro running beyond even Mount, Mount not then replacing him and Bruno being the agent of chaos that he is.

EtH needs to sort it out asap. I can see trying this, but it failed against Wolves with a manager who has been there about 1 minute.

Red in STL

Turnover not takeover
Supports
The only team that matters
This is on the manager. I dont believe that these players are dumb enough to not even offer themselves as a passing option.
Yes they re dumb enough, we were ambling around off the ball like they had lead in their boots, movement was virtually non existent

Redstain

Add to that fact the club now has an unbalanced midfield. The issues of last season still exist and all that's happened is United have closed the door to finding a solution because the resources have been exhausted without actually strengthening the team.

Those saying it was a 9/10 window must have more faith in Murtough and co than common sense. How is it that despite completely revamping the scouting infrastructure there's next to no development prior. On paper the squad is provisionally weaker than last season with the exception of the goalkeeper.

The money or lack of is also not an excuse we've seen Newcastle essentially revamp their midfield for under 100M in Tonali and Guimares previously. These departments that have gone through significant changes are firing up blanks.

Cantonagotmehere

The main problem IMO is that we look realy soft. We’re a team of energetic weaklings and you can only get away with that if your midfield has an incredibly high pass accuracy or game reading skills, which at the moment accounts for about 1.5 of our 4 options on a good day. Otherwise you need to be physically robust, and that accounts for about 0.5, and that’s all basically Casemiro.
I am not going to overreact after 1 game, but that was my number one take away after that performance today, it was really bad. Mount actually seemed more physical than most today. We can't sell McTominay unless we bring in 2 middies.

Cantonagotmehere

Hang in there, mate. Let's see how turn up vs Spurs. It was a sad game for sure.

hobbers

If we turn up with this midfield vs Spurs we'll get destroyed by Skipp and Bissouma. That will be fun.

mav_9me

We were terrible, but it's just 1 game. We lost our opening games last season and people thought top 4 was far out of reach.

Hopefully you are right. Because I really think ETH is a brilliant manager. But now I worry he has screwed this up with this midfield. I never worried last season when we lost the first 2 games because he was just getting started and he wasn't given the tools yet.

But this is different. He chose to go with Mount for this midfield. None of it makes sense to me. Maybe if we get Amrabat and play him instead of Mount and we steady it for a while.

Wing Attack Plan R

Well yeah but that's my point...we're still in the process of implementing those ideas. Onana and Mount have had one game. We still haven't seen an ETH-signed CF play a game for the club.

This season's football won't be like last, its going to be very, very different...and I think it will take time to bed-in
Rashford’s attempt at #9 hold up play was well short of the required standard. It starts from the front and Rashford was nowhere near to being effective today, and gave up when he lost the ball. Hopefully Hojland is a revelation because Rashford was a ghost.

mav_9me

Its destroying my faith in Ten Hag tbh because its just such a clearly terrible idea and the performance tonight was so obvious. He's relying on Mount and Fernandes to dictate our play and break up opposition attacks before they start, when both play too advanced to do that and neither are aggressive and/or positionally disciplined enough to do it anyway. Fernandes is also too direct to be used in any sort of controlling role and Mount I've never seen show anything to suggest he has the quality to do it. He can play a nice flick or return ball around the box but he isn't going to get on the turn and start dictating and forcing the opposition to back off him. Casemiro is the only one of the three who can control a game in possession and he can't do it when he's got to cover the midfield ground of 3 players on his own and constantly try to plug gaps.

This is why Eriksen was so important last season, because we needed the extra midfielder who could get on the turn and dictate a game without sacrificing their position. Now we've gone 2 steps backwards. People saying its only one game but these problems aren't going to magically go away or be a one off, because you can't expect players to just change what they are good at to suit a manager's crazy ideas.
Agree with most of it. I still think ETH is a great manager but I'm worried for his tenure now.

I am also not surprised how bad Mount was. That's how he's been this preseason. What happened today has been happening all preseason.

All we needed to do was get an Eriksen with legs and here we are without a midfield. Sigh.

nainaisson

We need Amrabat/Onana before Spurs
Onana's an okay destroyer, but he'll just lose the ball immediately after gaining possession b/c he can't pass. And Ambrabat doesn't have the legs or physicality to plug all the holes we left in midfield tonight.

pcaming

United are an embarrassment.
Every other team that does this, brings someone right up alongside the DM, either a fullback or CB. Having Casimero do it solo is suicide.

JPB

Oh no what a surprise, we had a massive gaping hole in the middle of the field playing two number 10's. And some people on here couldn't see this coming. :lol:

mav_9me

Oh no what a surprise, we had a massive gaping hole in the middle of the field playing two number 10's. And some people on here couldn't see this coming. :lol:
What? I thought everybody saw it coming.

Wing Attack Plan R

Bruno will have to play deeper, there's no getting away from it. He looked great there at times last season, and definitely has it in his locker. I imagine we weren't quite expecting Wolves to play like 1970s Brazil, and that's part of the reason why we left Casemiro so exposed but Their manager even said it in his post game interview, all they did was try and create 4 versus 3 through the middle but because we were so advanced and gave the ball away over 80 times, it became 3v1 most of the time in there. It was shocking stuff, and could have been fixed by asking Bruno just to sit, the fact we allowed it to keep happening doesn't bode well. Feel like we just showed up and thought we would win today, expecting a much better performance versus Spurs.
Good post, Clams.

croadyman

Onana's an okay destroyer, but he'll just lose the ball immediately after gaining possession b/c he can't pass. And Ambrabat doesn't have the legs or physicality to plug all the holes we left in midfield tonight.
So who should we bring in then as clearly you aren't happy with either of those two

Eddy_JukeZ

Hopefully you are right. Because I really think ETH is a brilliant manager. But now I worry he has screwed this up with this midfield. I never worried last season when we lost the first 2 games because he was just getting started and he wasn't given the tools yet.

But this is different. He chose to go with Mount for this midfield. None of it makes sense to me. Maybe if we get Amrabat and play him instead of Mount and we steady it for a while.
If he does that, then he should have a kitchen sink of criticism thrown at him.

He planned on going with 2 #8s in front of a 6. Make it work.

I'd rather see Amrabat take Casemiro's place vs him dropping Mount entirely and ditching this template/system that most top teams are playing.

I'm sure we'll play better.