The chase for 4th place (not top 4)

maniak

Supports
Arsenal
The PL should just donate the 4th spot to Slovakia or something.

charlenefan

Far less insightful than the other Charley
Ive long been convinced we would finish 4th. The turn around has been immense and the quality offered by Saka, Odegaard and Martinelli is really underappreciated. Stable at the back with a keeper to bail is out when the opposition makes a good effort on goal. Xhaka and Partey doing well together, breaking up the play and and playing the roles of statesmen given all 20-23 year olds around them The team has a togetherness and plays for each other. No passengers, no slackers, no dressing room cliques or alliances. Arteta has built a proper environment and has vindicated his treatment of PEA.

I dont care how intimidating your team looks on paper when you mix and match Ronaldo, Rashford, Cavani, Pogba, Bruno, De Gea, Varane. Although Gary Neville seems to think a list of player names is something to marvel at. One of the reasons I think we have such a commanding position, is because of this reverence Man United pay to a players reputation. Contrast to Arteta, who shipped out PEA despite him signing a recent mega deal. Arteta has relegated our record signing (Pepe) behind two academy lads (Saka and ESR) as well as a 6m signing from Brazils 4th division (Martinelli). Backed himself to sign Ramsdale when people were openly mocking the decision, apparently 25m was crazy to pay for a Sheffield United GK. Still opposition fans still say 'its only Arteta'. When the truth is Arteta is turning into a seriously good manager with a no nonsense reputation and a clear direction of how he wants to play. Reputations dont mean anything to Arteta, where at present Man United, reputation seems to be the primary factor in team selection. Big reputations Man United have given by virtue of the massive transfer fees paid for the player, and/or massive wages paid to player.

'Lego Pep', could very well indeed turn into Pep2.0
We've had momentum for 15 months now. PPG the past 15 months:

Man City: 129 Points in 52 games - 2.48

Liverpool: 104 in 52 games - 2
Arsenal: 98 in 50 games - 1.96
Chelsea: 101 in 52 games - 1.94

United: 95 in 53 games 1.79
West Ham: 92 in 53 games - 1.74
Spurs: 82 in 51 games - 1.61

This includes the first 3 games of this season where we barely had a fit squad. Yet, people are just stuck on this mindset that we're always just in a short term run of form.
I said at the time these posts were pure cringe

Cal?

CR7 fan
Imagine our midfield today against Liverpool? Arsenal and Chelsea- no chance we make it in current form
Not saying we'll do it, but Arse just lost to Soton today and have capitulated, Chelsea could be on holiday by then

Irwin99

This is reminding me of the 2018-19 season with no one having any consistency at all for the 4th spot. Still think Spurs will do it but it'd be very Spursy of them to feck it up.

Adamsk7

They should scrap fourth place qualification this year because the three teams fighting (and I use that term very loosely) for it don’t deserve it at all!

Red-17

Imagine our midfield today against Liverpool? Arsenal and Chelsea- no chance we make it in current form
We don't even have to get anything from Liverpool though necessarily. Spurs still have to play them as well as the North London Derby. We also get Chelsea at the end of the season when they may have nothing to play for. But having said all this, we will inevitably beat all those teams and feck it up against Crystal palace or Brentford.

Cal?

CR7 fan
Somehow I’m more convinced we have zero chance of making top 4 after watching that performance than I did yesterday even though we’re 3 points closer :lol:
On the other hand, if you watched Spurs & Arsenal today, and didn't watch our mighty struggle against Norwich, you'd have the opposite opinion. ;)

yumtum

DUX' bumchum
Somehow I’m more convinced we have zero chance of making top 4 after watching that performance than I did yesterday even though we’re 3 points closer :lol:
For the players, the season is over, we actually have players coming out telling us that they're leaving, they've already mentally checked out and are going through the motions.

No point getting our hopes up, these players haven't got it in them to fight for anything.

Cloud7

Arsenal under Arteta seem like they always have a bit of a collapse in them

Mickeza

still gets no respect
Deepthroating information to Howard Nurse.
For the players, the season is over, we actually have players coming out telling us that they're leaving, they've already mentally checked out and are going through the motions.

No point getting our hopes up, these players haven't got it in them to fight for anything.
That’s how I see it too. The team checked out after the Atletico game.

FootballHQ

Supports
Aston Villa
Arsenal under Arteta seem like they always have a bit of a collapse in them
They have no squad really, bit like Liverpool around 2017.

Tierney and Partey injuries massively disrupted them. Lacazette isn't great but Nkeiteh is barely a premier league striker. Losing to three mid table teams is still poor.

Spurs got away with it today. They're still big favourites given their run in although Brentford away will be tricky for them next week.

Arsenal-Man. United next weekend has the sort of two bald men fighting over a comb feel.

yumtum

DUX' bumchum
I think we’re every bit as soft and mentally fragile as Wenger’s latter day Arsenal actually. Good comparison. We’re one of the easiest teams to play against physically in the league.
Yup, just a shame we don't have the watchable football part too, at least that could somewhat dull the pain a little.

padr81

Supports
Man City
Back on. Now we just gotta make sure RR and his red army are on form for the next league game so we get top 4. GoodGameMU lets do this.

AndySmith1990

It's funny to see three terrible teams battling to qualify for a competition none of them have any chance of winning. But it'll give Ten Hag a bigger budget to play with so it's important for us

Kaos

Back on. Now we just gotta make sure RR and his red army are on form for the next league game so we get top 4. GoodGameMU lets do this.

Ugh, I hate the fact I'm cheering you lot on in the league and probably soon the CL.

Feck this season very much.

padr81

Supports
Man City
Ugh, I hate the fact I'm cheering you lot on in the league and probably soon the CL.

Feck this season very much.
I'll know what it feels like in a couple of days.

Zaphod2319

Supports
Chelsea
We don't even have to get anything from Liverpool though necessarily. Spurs still have to play them as well as the North London Derby. We also get Chelsea at the end of the season when they may have nothing to play for. But having said all this, we will inevitably beat all those teams and feck it up against Crystal palace or Brentford.
Even if Chelsea goes to the beach on some teams, Tuchel and the players will get up for both Arsenal and Man Utd.

Devil’s Trident

As shit as it is it’s not over. Arsenal terrible run starts from here. Watch them lose points from now on. Just trust me over this one.

Starting from Leicester, they are facing Liverpool at home , villa and palace away then Brighton home and Southampton away. From these 6 fixtures , I can guarantee you all they are dropping 8-10 points .
After that they are facing us at home and West Ham away, losing 3 more points minimum. After that they still have to face spurs and chelsea.

Quote me if you like but I’m very very sure of that. It’s all about how we deal with it. We need to get on a 4-5 match winning run. But Arsenal are gonna fall, believe me.
They will start dropping points regularly from here on I’m willing to put my neck on the line for it. Whether we take advantage or not it’s another matter. I’m repeating myself from the other thread but I’m convinced they will drop 8-10 points in the next 6 games and then they have to deal with Chelsea, spurs, Man Utd, West Ham. Their inconsistent run starts now. Mark my words.
Let me say it again because I know no one is taking it seriously but Arsenal are gonna drop points from this points onwards quite regularly. I’m not saying that out of hope or optimism or not liking arsenal, I’m saying that because right now they are getting points due to multiple reasons and them punching way above their weight combined with a touch of luck. They are doing fantastically well at the moment but I can still see the flaws in their game many can’t and after looking at the remaining fixtures I’m convinced they gonna drop like flies starting from Leicester and pool.

Its not a shot in the dark it’s fairly calculated to come to this prediction. If I’m wrong quote me and mock me all you want if I’m right just bow down to my superior football knowledge. Fair game ?
Predicted this last month. Got shit from certain posters. Guess what they did even better. Are caf still going to ignore my genius now ? Where are the Arsenal posters here on caf ?

Last edited:

mu4c_20le

Arsenal fans can get extremely bullish when their team goes on a decent run. If you haven't been watching their games and only read the forums, you'd think they are back.

Paul_Scholes18

Bookies give us around 10% to beat Liverpool which is similar odds to us getting top 4. If we can beat Liverpool and Arsenal then I think we will get it.

Demas

Supports
Chelsea
Arsenal fans can get extremely bullish when their team goes on a decent run. If you haven't been watching their games and only read the forums, you'd think they are back.
It is easy to go on an unbeaten run in the middle of the season when the pressure is off. That is why I don't pay attention to stats that span different seasons unless you're consistently at the top.

FootballHQ

Supports
Aston Villa
Mainly down to Spurs & Arse being almost as bad
You've lost two matches since November haven't you? Not like you've lost three straight like Arsenal just have or even four straight like Spurs did six weeks ago.

The odd win amongst avalanche of draws will get you nowhere near the title but can certainly keep teams in with a chance of 4th given it's a much low bar points wise.

West Ham will feel like they've got a decent chance if they get 3 points anyway.

Fortitude

TV/Monitor Expert
Scout

Not sure why you're saying that when Matic was one of our best players today, giving all he can and settling us down. Mata, also. Although I'm not sure he's said anything about leaving.

VivaRonaldo85

We will lose the next two and that’s it. We’ve gift wrapped it to the two north London clubs. Absolute open goal and we’ve right royally fecked it up. Spurs will fall into 4th place as the least worst option over a season.

BorisManUtd

Tottenham are favourites. Easiest run of games left until the end of the season + best GD so far. Arsenal could get it especially if they beat Spurs away. No real chance for us on the other hand, we'd have to beat Arsenal and beat one of Liverpool/Chelsea, or at least not lose to either of those teams while beating others. That won't happen as we're terrible.