The comprehensive Ronaldo thread

Gehrman

Phallic connoisseur, unlike shamans
I have seen him live a fair bit and not on tv. Cruijff started as a winger then CF and then became a player maker who drops deep. Even when he moved to Barcelona he dropped deep apart from one season where Weisweiller who wanted him to play as a lone striker. Cruijff wanted to play as a playmaker.
He was a much better player than Laudrup. Heck even Van Basten was better than Laudrup. Not saying Laudrup was not a good player.
Barcelona would have won a lot more if they could have got their 3 foreign players on the pitch at the same time. They couldn't play more than 2 players and Hugo Sotil whom they signed to play as CF was unable to play with Cruijff and Neeskens. The only reason why he went to Barcelona was money. Ajax refused to increase his wages.
Van Basten certainly has a greater legacy but you're comparing a striker with an incredibly unselfish playmaker(Laudrup). Very different game. I havnt seen anyone pick impossible passes as well as Laudrup. But anyway im going even more off topic. But yeah Cryuff was never an out and out forward. He invented(i think) the false 9 role.

Foxbatt

Van Basten certainly has a greater legacy but you're comparing a striker with an incredibly unselfish playmaker(Laudrup). Very different game. I havnt seen anyone pick impossible passes as well as Laudrup. But anyway im going even more off topic. But yeah Cryuff was never an out and out forward. He invented(i think) the false 9 role.
I agree that you know what you are talking about. He is not the nicest guy from what I have heard and is very obstinate but I guess he can afford to be. He fell out with a lot of players he played with and it's about tactics or money. I heard even then one of the reasons why he didn't go to Italy was because the club ( could be AC Milan) had an athletic track around the pitch at that time.
I saw him play against England with Keegan and them lot playing and he ran the bloody show at Wembley and beat England by 0-2. Most people thought Cruijff was over the hill by that time. If Rep had not missed a sitter against Germany in the final The Dutch probably would have won it.

matherto

ask me about our 50% off sale!
Nobody cares if you voted for sleepy joe or are a SJW, this is football stop trying to match the two with zero relevance.
There's quite a lot in common tbf.

Vain to the point of idiocy, narcissistic, does interviews with Piers Morgan, has fans ready to die for him.

NewDawnFades

Can you imagine he had actually spat the dummy and walked? Then off to Saudi Arabia for the money, never to play top level football again. What a glorious end.

glasgow 21

Will someone close to him sit him down and have a serious word. The facts are he will be needed against Morocco and their 10 man defence on the 18 yard line playing for penalties from minute one and they aint going to change. His aerial abilities could be tapped into, if needed, and who knows he might get that important goal. But why be a team player when you can behave like a child and get yourself front an centre on the pages. Ronaldo's problem is he has never had a slap down when he needed it , he is only surrounded by yes men/women.

Andycoleno9

matchday malcontent
Having him as a friend, teammate or life partner must be a nightmare. You must do what he wants all the time and he must be in centre of attention. All the time. Guy has huge issues and it goes above football

Oranges038

Once again the media is a funny thing and you lot eat it up like sheep.

Multiple videos circulating of him being the first player to walk towards the fans and thanking them along with celebrating with his teammates before heading to the dressing room. Just as he also celebrated all of Portugals goals with his teammates. Their is not one media outlet in Portugal saying he “abandoned his team” as you would like.

But I guess that don’t fit your agenda right?
He didn't take much part in the win, applaud, congratulate and walk away and let those who did all the work enjoy it, that is actually the more professional thing to do. If he went wild celebrating like he was the one who did it all, they'd be having a go about that too.

FrankFoot

Supports
Neutral
"We've suffered enough".
Jesus christ. What about all the subs he has been looking at sitting on the bench all down the years? Was he advising them to go home as well?

Him and his family are completely deluded
His family worshipping him is understandable, it's his family and thanks to him they can live like millionaires without having an actual job.

Of course they are gonna defend him, no matter what, even if he is lying.

Judas

Open to offers
It’s an easy story to create, everyone’s going to believe it to be fair. Could easily be true as well, but who didn’t expect this story to come out?

Trex

He didn't take much part in the win, applaud, congratulate and walk away and let those who did all the work enjoy it, that is actually the more professional thing to do. If he went wild celebrating like he was the one who did it all, they'd be having a go about that too.
You mean celebrate like we see substitutes do all the time or try to take attention away from the team by doing something different from the team like he actually did?

SalfordRed18

Netflix and avocado, no chill
Supports
Ashwood City FC
Easily the worse 6 months of his life. Beginning to feel bad for him.

Luka Mora

Easily the worse 6 months of his life. Beginning to feel bad for him.
Not being selected to kick a ball, because you're no longer good enough is something worthy of being sad about? Come on there are thousands of players who didn't even get selected to be apart of the world cup due to form or injury. And lets be honest, Ronaldo only got selected to go to the world cup based on rep and brand. On form alone he shouldn't even be there let alone his toxic influence he brings to the dressing room.

There are far bigger problems in the world that are worthy of feeling bad over than some narcissistic millionaire overgrown manchild brat, who can't come to terms with aging

Fortitude

TV/Monitor Expert
Scout
Imagine being at a World Cup and having a feelgood factor that actually has you believe you might be in contention for the Cup itself, and you've got the biggest player in your nation's history trying to disrupt that by any means he can.

Does there come a point where the Portuguese turn against him if he keeps that silly shit up?

By now, you'd hope he's having a crisis that extends far beyond football and that this isn't just a narcissistic breakdown but rather something more existential or tangible via such a great loss because he's now reaching levels where his antics are beyond self-absorbed and instead are looking unhinged.

FrankFoot

Supports
Neutral
Weak opposition, abso-fecking-lutely. As I posted earlier…

His best ever goalscoring league season was 33 goals in 30 games. In La Liga he scored 48 in 143.

Then we look at the 33 goals season and it tells a story, here are some of their results:

Home: 5-3, 5-0, 8-0, 5-0, 8-3, 6-0, 5-0, 6-1, 4-1, 4-1, 4-0, 4-1

Away: 0-7, 3-8, 0-4, 0-4, 0-4

That’s 91 goals in 17 games. Safe to say he it was weaker opposition in the Dutch league, especially with such a dominant Ajax side :lol:

As for European Cups back then, they were ace, but you played what? 3 games to reach a final.

From 26 he left Ajax and his career from there was a bit shite really if we’re honest (in context for one of the best players in history).
You can't judge Cruyff just on goals, because he wasn't only a goalscorer.

The fact that he was rated 4th/5th best player in history despite his goal ratio not being great in Spain says everything you need to know about him.

You are trying to do a CR7, and reduce Cruyff to mere goals

KeanoMagicHat

Not being selected to kick a ball, because you're no longer good enough is something worthy of being sad about? Come on there are thousands of players who didn't even get selected to be apart of the world cup due to form or injury. And lets be honest, Ronaldo only got selected to go to the world cup based on rep and brand. On form alone he shouldn't even be there let alone his toxic influence he brings to the dressing room.

There are far bigger problems in the world that are worthy of feeling bad over than some narcissistic millionaire overgrown manchild brat, who can't come to terms with aging
Yeah Ronaldo is an example of where it can go wrong when a player refuses to retire with grace. He’s played 195 times for Portugal, maybe a sign that he should step aside and give the young lads a chance. Should have retired from international football after the last Euros and from football in general after the PL last season. I thought he took away from the team last season but he had a good end to the season with a few hat-tricks and would have been a good way to bow out.

Instead all the yes men in his camp told him he’s the greatest player in the world at 37 and he has 4 years left at the top level of CL.

Shai-Hulud

Pace is gone, link up play is poor now, he does not press and can make the attack predictable.

Off the pitch I think he talks more then he should, Piers interview was pointless for example especially the timing of it.

His mentality which has always been one of his strongest attributes is the same reason why he is having such a tough time dealing with his decline. He could still be a positive impact on many teams if he realized his role has changed. The problem is in his mind he’s still the greatest player on the planet but his body can’t keep up with what his mind wants.

I still think he can offer teams a lot but in a different way now. He is 38 years old and needs to realize that, many people are done at 38.
You're describing someone who's out of touch with reality, unable to accept the hard truths of impermanence. Being unable to adapt to aging is not a strength, it's a weakness.

SalfordRed18

Netflix and avocado, no chill
Supports
Ashwood City FC

Think people forget he literally loss one of his children earlier on this year and his other was very ill. This added to the fact that his career is very clearly coming to an end and he can't except that, means he's probably in a very dark place right now mentally. First time in his adult life he might feel he's no longer in control which is potentially huge for a personality like his.

Listen, I will most certainly laugh at him not being picked up by a European club, and Portugal doing better without him. However, the lad is still human at the end of the day.

Oranges038

You mean celebrate like we see substitutes do all the time or try to take attention away from the team by doing something different from the team like he actually did?
The game was done by the time he came on. He gave his congratulations and walked away. People make it all about him, by saying he's doing this for the attention etc etc... he did the right thing at the end of that game. Let the guys who did all the work enjoy it. If he ran around wildly celebrating, it would be the same thing; he did fcuk all, what's he celebrating like that for? All these morons have let their childish hatred for him take over, so he can't do anything right.

He's had a rough time personally, people seem to forget that, his age is showing, it's clearly all catching up with him now, and playing a role in his poor form and he is struggling. Doesn't matter who you are or what you do, the pressure and scrutiny he's constantly under, the cracks are opening up and it's starting to show. Add in losing a child only a few months ago and it's a whole shit storm of crap to deal with. Then you get his behaviour, the walking out, the outbursts, the gestures, that fecking god awful interview with that massive bellend.

It's like he doesn't understand the reasons why he's not playing well and is just lashing out. I said during the summer he was right to take the time off, when his child was sick, imagine losing a child and then having the other ill in hospital only a month or two later?? The mental impact of that cannot be ignored. He should have taken even more time off. But you had plenty of cnuts on here thinking he was taking the piss, mostly the same sad cnuts who take joy in him being dropped and see everything he does as being wrong.

I don't hate him, his actions were wrong and the club were right to let him go and he's been rightfully dropped by Santos. But, I don't see the need people have to see wrong in everything he does and take joy in seeing him humiliated at every turn. Personally I've been in a similar situation and understand how it affects you in your everyday life afterwards, I gave up playing for over 2 years because I wasn't right mentally and couldn't clear my head to go out on the pitch and just play, that was only a few times a week. Thankfully I sorted all that shit out and am back playing probably better than I ever have for my level, which is shit in the grand scheme of things.

So in summary, sad people who have sad lives will take joy in him being humiliated because it will brighten up their sad existence for a moment. Me, I understand where his frustrations are coming from, I think the club were right to boot him out as was Santos to drop him. He's clearly hurting and dealing with a lot of stuff coming to a head at once and being one of the most famous players in the world, with all the scrutiny on him, it doesn't look like he's dealing with it well at all. People including the media really need to have some common sense and empathy and just lay off.

altodevil

Odds winner of 'Odds or Evens 2023/2024'
Ronaldo is so in love with himself, even Piers Morgan is jealous.

Mmm-Qatarian

I don't like Ronaldo at all but I don't buy that he's threatened to walk out on the Portugal squad. More than anything I don't see what he has to gain from doing it.

Someone

Something
Pace is gone, link up play is poor now, he does not press and can make the attack predictable.

Off the pitch I think he talks more then he should, Piers interview was pointless for example especially the timing of it.

His mentality which has always been one of his strongest attributes is the same reason why he is having such a tough time dealing with his decline. He could still be a positive impact on many teams if he realized his role has changed. The problem is in his mind he’s still the greatest player on the planet but his body can’t keep up with what his mind wants.

I still think he can offer teams a lot but in a different way now. He is 38 years old and needs to realize that, many people are done at 38.
A fair assessment.

I'm starting to feel a bit bad for him. The negativity surrounding him is out of control, but the media will always share a good story, and this is a self inflicted wound. He had every chance of handling his time with United with more grace, and it'd have helped him going into the world cup with less controversy, but he chose to do the interview, which not only was stupid, but also so selfish.

KeanoMagicHat

A fair assessment.

I'm starting to feel a bit bad for him. The negativity surrounding him is out of control, but the media will always share a good story, and this is a self inflicted wound. He had every chance of handling his time with United with more grace, and it'd have helped him going into the world cup with less controversy, but he chose to do the interview, which not only was stupid, but also so selfish.
Surely that’s his fault, there is nothing stopping him at all putting his head down and accepting the situation at United and Portugal but he did everything but. Tantrums, explosive interviews, walking off the pitch, disrespecting players and managers. He wants to be centre of attention, if he didn’t want negativity with it, just put your head down.

If he could get out of his own head and stop being such a cnut, he still has a chance of a big World Cup moment off the bench, maybe a last minute goal in a World Cup semi final or something.

General_Elegancia

Chillin' with the Dugongs
Supports
Liverpool, AC Milan
I never saw Cruyff play at his peak and never saw him play for Holland and I’m 54 so I would suggest a lot of the cruyff comments are hearsay, nostalgia or they just watched the turn 1000 times. My dad did think he was a great player but was ever convinced he blew the 74 WC final by making it all about him and being a greedy B. Sound familiar
I guarantee if you watch him, you will fall in love with him and 70s Rock star Ajax. What a team

Against a tough Inter side( defensive robust team)

Against Juve 1973

Against Real Madrid