The comprehensive Ronaldo thread

the_cliff

The game was done by the time he came on. He gave his congratulations and walked away. People make it all about him, by saying he's doing this for the attention etc etc... he did the right thing at the end of that game. Let the guys who did all the work enjoy it. If he ran around wildly celebrating, it would be the same thing; he did fcuk all, what's he celebrating like that for? All these morons have let their childish hatred for him take over, so he can't do anything right.

He's had a rough time personally, people seem to forget that, his age is showing, it's clearly all catching up with him now, and playing a role in his poor form and he is struggling. Doesn't matter who you are or what you do, the pressure and scrutiny he's constantly under, the cracks are opening up and it's starting to show. Add in losing a child only a few months ago and it's a whole shit storm of crap to deal with. Then you get his behaviour, the walking out, the outbursts, the gestures, that fecking god awful interview with that massive bellend.

It's like he doesn't understand the reasons why he's not playing well and is just lashing out. I said during the summer he was right to take the time off, when his child was sick, imagine losing a child and then having the other ill in hospital only a month or two later?? The mental impact of that cannot be ignored. He should have taken even more time off. But you had plenty of cnuts on here thinking he was taking the piss, mostly the same sad cnuts who take joy in him being dropped and see everything he does as being wrong.

I don't hate him, his actions were wrong and the club were right to let him go and he's been rightfully dropped by Santos. But, I don't see the need people have to see wrong in everything he does and take joy in seeing him humiliated at every turn. Personally I've been in a similar situation and understand how it affects you in your everyday life afterwards, I gave up playing for over 2 years because I wasn't right mentally and couldn't clear my head to go out on the pitch and just play, that was only a few times a week. Thankfully I sorted all that shit out and am back playing probably better than I ever have for my level, which is shit in the grand scheme of things.

So in summary, sad people who have sad lives will take joy in him being humiliated because it will brighten up their sad existence for a moment. Me, I understand where his frustrations are coming from, I think the club were right to boot him out as was Santos to drop him. He's clearly hurting and dealing with a lot of stuff coming to a head at once and being one of the most famous players in the world, with all the scrutiny on him, it doesn't look like he's dealing with it well at all. People including the media really need to have some common sense and empathy and just lay off.
Good post.

I completely agree, I think it's going overboard now and people are just basking in the glory of his downfall. I know he's been a top class cnut but it seems like everyday there's another article shitting on him. I mean how does the media know he threatened to quit on Portugal because he was dropped ? I'm pretty sure Ronaldo and Santos had that talk privately, so unless there was a Record bug in the room recording the conversation, how would they know ?

I have no doubt that Ronaldo doesn't really have 'love' for any club, even Real Madrid, I'm sure if Atletico wanted to sign him, he'll have no quarrels about going to them, he views club football as a way to further his personal records, stats and success but it has always been different for Portugal and for all we know he's accepted the bench role with Portugal and there's nothing wrong. Of course he may not be happy about it, he's on the bench, it's only normal but he's definitely accepted it.

BerryBerryShrew

Instead all the yes men in his camp told him he’s the greatest player in the world at 37 and he has 4 years left at the top level of CL.
I think this is very valid and leads me to wonder how much of this current situation is the fault of Jorge Mendes. For all the stick the late Raiola used to get, there is no way in hell that he'd just stand idly by and watch his most famous client make a tit of himself repeatedly in front of the world. Ibra said in his autobiography that Raiola used to literally tell him that he was playing shit when he was going through rough patches and when Ibra was seeking a transfer from Ajax, Raiola told him that his goalscoring record was shit and that it would need to improve before clubs would be interested.

If Ronaldo had someone be honest with him for the last few years of his decline, he could have been a beloved supersub mentor for a CL chasing side and for this Portuguese national team but Mendes being an utter sycophant has contributed heavily to this embarrassing delusion. He's a much worse friend to Ronaldo than someone like Gary Neville is.

JBD-dane

A fair assessment.

I'm starting to feel a bit bad for him. The negativity surrounding him is out of control, but the media will always share a good story, and this is a self inflicted wound. He had every chance of handling his time with United with more grace, and it'd have helped him going into the world cup with less controversy, but he chose to do the interview, which not only was stupid, but also so selfish.
I feel with him. I do!
But then.. He has made this load by himself as he played the "high-stake-game" with Piers and continue to feed the media with bad attitude.

As Portugal is at this stage of the tournament he has to do whatever he can do to pretend he is involved in the games and squad.
Imagine Ronaldo stood happy (but unhappy) as Messi did after Argentina beat Australia and celebrated with the fans. People could buy into the "Ronaldo impact" he has on the squad and what it means to him and bla bla. It will be much easier for him to use an eventually WC-trophy as superior to Messi.
On the other hand if continue behave like a selfish c*nt and Portugal win the WC he might not be able to use this as edge to Messi.

RacingClub

Supports
Racing Club
Just to clarify we are feeling sorry for this guy?

Ronaldo confession from Spiegel:

"I fecked her from the side. She made herself available. She was lying on her side, in bed, and I entered her from behind. It was rough. We didn't change position. 5/7 minutes. She said that she didn't want to, but she made herself available. The whole time it was rough, I turned her onto her side, and it was fast. Maybe she got some bruises when I grabbed her. (...) She didn't want to 'give it to me,' instead she jerked me off. I don't know any more exactly what she said when she was jerking me off. But she kept saying no. 'Don't do it' -- 'I'm not like the others.' I apologized afterwards."

Oranges038

Good post.

I completely agree, I think it's going overboard now and people are just basking in the glory of his downfall. I know he's been a top class cnut but it seems like everyday there's another article shitting on him. I mean how does the media know he threatened to quit on Portugal because he was dropped ? I'm pretty sure Ronaldo and Santos had that talk privately, so unless there was a Record bug in the room recording the conversation, how would they know ?

I have no doubt that Ronaldo doesn't really have 'love' for any club, even Real Madrid, I'm sure if Atletico wanted to sign him, he'll have no quarrels about going to them, he views club football as a way to further his personal records, stats and success but it has always been different for Portugal and for all we know he's accepted the bench role with Portugal and there's nothing wrong. Of course he may not be happy about it, he's on the bench, it's only normal but he's definitely accepted it.
Leaks... probably Henderson or Lingard..

More likley it's just the rag tops making stuff up because they know their readers will lap it up they love reveling in misery and despair.

GreatDane

Think people forget he literally loss one of his children earlier on this year and his other was very ill. This added to the fact that his career is very clearly coming to an end and he can't except that, means he's probably in a very dark place right now mentally. First time in his adult life he might feel he's no longer in control which is potentially huge for a personality like his.

Listen, I will most certainly laugh at him not being picked up by a European club, and Portugal doing better without him. However, the lad is still human at the end of the day.
He's bullet-proof, said so himself while putting down our club, manager and Rooney, talking about his money and followers to fecking Piers Morgan. No pity from me.

You can't judge Cruyff just on goals, because he wasn't only a goalscorer.

The fact that he was rated 4th/5th best player in history despite his goal ratio not being great in Spain says everything you need to know about him.

You are trying to do a CR7, and reduce Cruyff to mere goals
No I’m not, follow the conversation and you’ll see I didn’t bring goals into it, neither am I reducing anyone to mere goals.
I’ve said about 20 times now that Cruyff was clearly one of the greatest players to ever play the game and I don’t consider players who were “merely goals” in that list.

NewDawnFades

Good post.

How can you not enjoy the downfall of the most arrogant man in the history of football?

Are you made of stone?

AndySmith1990

Think people forget he literally loss one of his children earlier on this year and his other was very ill. This added to the fact that his career is very clearly coming to an end and he can't except that, means he's probably in a very dark place right now mentally. First time in his adult life he might feel he's no longer in control which is potentially huge for a personality like his.

Listen, I will most certainly laugh at him not being picked up by a European club, and Portugal doing better without him. However, the lad is still human at the end of the day.
Aye he is still human, just like the rest of us. And just like him the rest of us also have personal troubles to deal with. Most of us however are still professional and deal with it like adults, because we have no other choice.
He has all the money and support that anyone could ever need so he at least never has to worry about the things normal people have to worry about, on top of other personal issues we have to deal with. He's privileged beyond belief. He gets more attention and sympathy for behaving like a narcissistic bellend than perfectly decent ordinary people get when they truly need help and support.

He doesn't need your sympathy and he doesn't need a fan club blindly defending him on message boards. He needs to grow up

Rayman96

Supports
Also supports Rangers
Pace is gone, link up play is poor now, he does not press and can make the attack predictable.

Off the pitch I think he talks more then he should, Piers interview was pointless for example especially the timing of it.

His mentality which has always been one of his strongest attributes is the same reason why he is having such a tough time dealing with his decline. He could still be a positive impact on many teams if he realized his role has changed. The problem is in his mind he’s still the greatest player on the planet but his body can’t keep up with what his mind wants.

I still think he can offer teams a lot but in a different way now. He is 38 years old and needs to realize that, many people are done at 38.
So to summarise you are saying he is NOW a crap player with a delusional mindset who destroys morale with his off field activities yet you finish with he can still offer teams a lot.
As what?
Team mascot, organiser of the team quiz, Instagram advisor?
Please please enlighten us.

NewDawnFades

So to summarise you are saying he is NOW a crap player with a delusional mindset who destroys morale with his off field activities yet you finish with he can still offer teams a lot.
As what?
Team mascot, organiser of the team quiz, Instagram advisor?
Please please enlighten us.
Player like him is useful to have on the bench and come on last couple of minutes when chasing a goal.

Delusional mindset and off field nonsense means he doesn’t accept that role/it isn’t worth the hassle.

RacingClub

Supports
Racing Club
Great. England won a World Cup with Bobby Charlton, but I don't think he should still be a first-choice player.
He also played the complete Final instead of directing play from the sideline for the majority of the game.

Judge Red

Don't Call Me Douglas
The sister of this 37 year old saying Santos humiliated him for dropping him and then his missus coming out with some nonsense about fans being robbed of getting to see him is why he won’t get a single offer from a European club. That and being very obviously finished.

But they are making this all the sweeter for us. Despite his lies about betrayal, the club would have stayed loyal to him until the end of his contract and suffered horribly for it.

Good.

fecking.

Riddance.

Idxomer

Also haven't both competitions been expanded in the past 30 years?
Yep and Portugal have been a constant presence in the Euros since its expansion from 8 to 16 teams.

I mean they failed to win a knockout game in the last 3 world cups when he was the main man, this was their first win since 2006. That doesn't mean he was responsible for their exits but stats can be easily manipulated to suit different narratives.

JPRouve

can't stop thinking about balls - NOT deflategate
Scout
I hate these type of stats. It's as if the likes Pepe, Ricardo Carvalho, Moutinho, Deco and a few others didn't play a massive role in Portugal becoming a balanced and savvy team. Ronaldo was great but this need that some have to make everything about is offensive. The same was done with Real Madrid which was even more baffling when you consider the amount of additions required between Ronaldo signing and the peak years of Real Madrid.

KeanoMagicHat

I hate these type of stats. It's as if the likes Pepe, Ricardo Carvalho, Moutinho, Deco and a few others didn't play a massive role in Portugal becoming a balanced and savvy team. Ronaldo was great but this need that some have to make everything about is offensive. The same was done with Real Madrid which was even more baffling when you consider the amount of additions required between Ronaldo signing and the peak years of Real Madrid.
I also hate that ESPN are always posting these cherry-picked stats without context that nobody asked for, just entirely to provoke divisive comments and engagement. Even the photo they use there. How can you compare qualifying for a tournament with 24 teams vs 4 or 8? Or beating Platini or Eusebios goal records playing 20 games vs 5 or 6?

Like the one from last year about not winning a game without Ronaldo, conveniently ignoring at one point we also hadn’t won a game without Maguire. The point was we were complete shite no matter who played - case in point we were outplayed by City when Ronaldo played and when he didn’t.

mu4c_20le

I also hate that ESPN are always posting these cherry-picked stats without context that nobody asked for, just entirely to provoke divisive comments and engagement. Even the photo they use there. How can you compare qualifying for a tournament with 24 teams vs 4 or 8? Or beating Platini or Eusebios goal records playing 20 games vs 5 or 6?

Like the one from last year about not winning a game without Ronaldo, conveniently ignoring at one point we also hadn’t won a game without Maguire. The point was we were complete shite no matter who played - case in point we were outplayed by City when Ronaldo played and when he didn’t.
I too find stats annoying when they don't tell the story I want

pogbasformerbarber

The major problem for Ronaldo is this seemingly made up story doesn't seem implausible at this point. Most fans wouldn't be overly surprised if this story was true...and thats where the damage is here.

Thats why he won't get an offer from a top club in January. He's gone completely off the rails, and its clear to everyone but the Ronaldo superfans....

FrankFoot

Supports
Neutral
Stats without context are useless.

Before the 90s, european qualifiers for the WC were more difficult due to not having Latvia, Lithuania, Georgia,Macedonia,Estonia,Armenia,etc, and UEFA had less spots for the WC than today, so only the winner of the group qualified.

And the Euro used to have only 4 and 8 teams, before they expanded it to 16, and then to 24 in 2016.

Plus they are counting the 2004 Euro, where Portugal was already qualified for being the host...i know CR37 is obsessed with numbers and stats, but that's ridiculous.

Last edited:

Red in STL

Turnover not takeover
Supports
The only team that matters
I saw Maradona couple of times and he was on the losing side both times. One time I was very happy because United beat Barcelona. The other time was an Italian Cup Final.
I also saw him a couple of times and he was on the losing side both times as well, the United-Barca game was one but I also saw him play for Argentina against England at Wembley in 1980, a certain Ray Wilkins played in both matches and definitely had something to do with the fact that he didn't do a whole lot in both games

lex talionis

The problem many of us have with Ronaldo now is the absence of self-awareness and humility. His achievements will stand forever, but his recent behavior has been shocking and brings disgrace to himself.

No one begrudges his right to seek a £200m annual wage from a Saudi club, given his circumstances of his physical decline but still immense popularity with a certain type of football fan, but the manner in which he engineered the move after his petulance with the manager whose management of United has been universally applauded, will forever tarnish to some extent a brilliant legacy among serious football fans.

LawCharltonBest

Enjoys watching fox porn
Every levelheaded and impartial observer can tell that Ronaldo has declined quite rapidly, even from how good he was 12 months ago for Manchester Utd nevermind how good he was at Madrid.

Imagine your biggest strength always being your self-belief and then suddenly your body can't match its expectations any more. I can imagine he's really struggling to come to terms with that.

Then imagine that every game you're benched or having regular stinkers like never before in your career, with all cameras on you and the story always being about you.

As much as the bloke has infuriated me, that must be taking its toll.

Shane88

Actually Nostradamus
As much as the bloke has infuriated me, that must be taking its toll.
No sympathy. Football's ultimate narcissist finally crashes and burns.

All the mental health professionals in the world available to him to help him come to terms with his limitations, he could learn to eat humble pie. Instead, he goes scorched Earth on everyone.

cyberman

The major problem for Ronaldo is this seemingly made up story doesn't seem implausible at this point. Most fans wouldn't be overly surprised if this story was true...and thats where the damage is here.

Thats why he won't get an offer from a top club in January. He's gone completely off the rails, and its clear to everyone but the Ronaldo superfans....
I’m struggling to think of many rumours that were dismissed by everybody involved and not end up being true in the long run

alexthelion

It’s just a Manor of speaking, point being is trying to change narratives due to recent events is crazy.

The whole entire footballing world rightfully has him in the Mount Rushmore of the 4 greatest players ever (Ronaldo Messi Maradona and pele) those 4 are beyond anything ever seen in the sport and breaking that mold will be extremely hard.
Top would be
Pele / Maradonna / Cruyff

followed by
Messi / Ronaldo

That's just the players I've seen.

That_Bloke

Supports
Leicester City
I saw Maradona couple of times and he was on the losing side both times. One time I was very happy because United beat Barcelona. The other time was an Italian Cup Final.
When you take into account his once in a hundred years talent, his trophy cabinet is ridiculously low. When you put things in perspective and actually watched the guy play however, you understand why he's rightfully up there with the top 5 footballers of all time. You could make the same case with R9 and he got two career ending injuries on top of that. That's why I'll never understand people who only swear by stats.

For all his incredible numbers and achievements which I fully acknowledge, Cristiano Ronaldo never made me dream like the former two did. He's the most accomplished athlete in the game and the best header of the ball I've ever seen though.