The Culture Wars

Eriku

so he doesn’t have a problem with a disclaimer reading “this book was written by an antisemite”?
You don’t think there are valid objections to that outside of excusing anti-semitism?

You’re being very disingenuous.

entropy

You don’t think there are valid objections to that outside of excusing anti-semitism?

You’re being very disingenuous.
wtf are valid objections to antisemitism? it definitely ain’t balaks argument that he held objectionable views 50 years ago and it shouldn’t define him.

Eriku

wtf are valid objections to antisemitism? it definitely ain’t balaks argument that he held objectionable views 50 years ago and it shouldn’t define him.
Who said anything about valid objections to anti-semitism?

The point was about being reductive and boiling someone down to their worst stance. You bringing up Hitler at the drop of a hat did nothing to dispel any such concerns.

entropy

Who said anything about valid objections to anti-semitism?

The point was about being reductive and boiling someone down to their worst stance. You bringing up Hitler at the drop of a hat did nothing to dispel any such concerns.
if that’s a stance he took till his dying breath. why the feck should it not define him? isn’t that overlooking something obvious? it’s just willful ignorance imo

Eriku

if that’s a stance he took till his dying breath. why the feck should it not define him? isn’t that overlooking something obvious? it’s just willful ignorance imo
Where does it start? Where does it end? What are the criteria to be labelled as such? And which authority gets to make that determination? Which other labels should we be marking authors with?

Dahl is an uncontroversial case, and deserves to be remembered as such, but I’m not a fan of there being an agency or whatever that gets to brand authors.

entropy

Where does it start? Where does it end? What are the criteria to be labelled as such? And which authority gets to make that determination? Which other labels should we be marking authors with?

Dahl is an uncontroversial case, and deserves to be remembered as such, but I’m not a fan of there being an agency or whatever that gets to brand authors.
if someone spent most of their life being a proud antisemite then it isn’t a stretch to label him as an antisemite. as to your bs questions, that is just you playing the devil’s advocate and i couldn’t care less.

Eriku

if someone spent most of their life being a proud antisemite then it isn’t a stretch to label him as an antisemite. as to your bs questions, that is just you playing the devil’s advocate and i couldn’t care less.
Nobody is claiming it’s a stretch to label him an antisemite.

You are clearly arguing in bad faith, so let’s both stop caring about this exchange.

dumbo

Don't Just Fly…Soar!
Scout
Where have all the free Dahl advocates scurried to now that Dilbert has been crushed by the "censorship" hammer.

Let's be 'avin ya!

RedDevilQuebecois

That fat feck Cheong had it coming. People like him should never talk shit about women serving professionally in the armed forces, especially when the loudmouth is a prime example of the worst in incels.

Wibble

In Gadus Speramus
Staff

“And then, one Thursday, nearly two thousand years after one man had been nailed to a tree for saying how great it would be to be nice to people for a change, a girl sitting on her own in a small café in Rickmansworth suddenly realized what it was that had been going wrong all this time, and she finally knew how the world could be made a good and happy place. This time it was right, it would work, and no one would have to get nailed to anything.” DNA

Right wing press:

VorZakone

What would Kenny G do?
Anyone remember the journalist Lara Logan? It's pretty wild how she has descended into extreme right rhetoric. She's retweeting Mike Flynn, talking about Soros, trans stuff, you name it.

calodo2003

Flaming Full Member
One of the two political parties in my country is aligned with this in 2023…

DOTA

wants Amber Rudd to call him a naughty boy
The voices of reason - 'We need to stop seeing our ideological opponents as beyond the pail and discuss things in a spirit of earnest dialogue'

My ideological opponents...

Pexbo

Winner of the 'I'm not reading that' medal.
Supports
Big Days
The perfect tweet doesn’t exis…