The Culture Wars

VorZakone

What would Kenny G do?
Saw this being retweeted by right wing twitter. The culture war angle here is the right wing's claim that "progressive policies aren't helping to tackle crime".

The Corinthian

I will not take Mad Winger's name in vain
Supports
A Free Palestine
This isn’t as batshit as an opinion as you’d expect. Biden has taken the US beyond the pale vis a vis, genocide enabling in Gaza. Whether Trump would have taken the same action or not, I don’t know but Biden has set the bar on the floor.

Jippy

Sleeps with tramps, bangs jacuzzis, dirty shoes
Staff
It's a fascist account, absolutely no doubt about that. A fascist account which is routinely engagement-boosted by Elon Musk.
Its gentle 'mocking wokeness' tagline does not tally with its vituperative attacks and overt racism.. Musk should stick to peddling bad Uranus jokes.

Salt Bailly

Auburn, not Ginger.
You've got to think that Mario is solely to blame for 99% of plumbers being male. Misogynistic Italian wanker.

VorZakone

What would Kenny G do?
Calling an account with 7-8K followers "prominent" may be stretching it, but the "Hitler stopped too soon" rhetoric is one I've heard rather often lately.

Kinsella

Copy & Paste Merchant
God that twitter account.

The example used there is obviously intended to generate views and clicks, but the central point about the media (and its power to influence opinion) is correct in my view.

Jippy

Sleeps with tramps, bangs jacuzzis, dirty shoes
Staff
The example used there is obviously intended to generate views and clicks, but the central point about the media (and its power to influence opinion) is correct in my view.
Let's not pretend it's some skewering of media's pernicious influence, it's homophobic propaganda and actually an example of it.

Below again twisting facts to push its own agenda.

cafecillos

That's an extremely trite and stale point that's made by absolutely everybody on social media on a daily basis though. No need to have it made for you by End Wokeness of all "people".

decorativeed

The thing is, he's saying that the media should focus on reporting 'normality' like families going to church - something so normal now that he's been forced to use an illustration from the 1950s to represent - rather than things like celebrities and high fashion. Which do you think will be more interesting to the average reader?

Pogue Mahone

The caf's Camus.
"like a man in silk pyjamas shooting pigeons
Let's not pretend it's some skewering of media's pernicious influence, it's homophobic propaganda and actually an example of it.

Below again twisting facts to push its own agenda.

I left Twitter ages ago but have to say this “readers added context” tweak seems to be a great idea. Was it introduced before or after Musk got involved?

Murder on Zidane's Floor

You'd better not kill Giroud
Guessing they were referring to how often far-right people argue that educating kids about anything to do with LGBT issues is "grooming" them.
I think it is more likely that person means it will be used as a pretext to kill transpeople without evidence (or flimsy evidence).
Sexual crimes. If you don't commit them.....then I'm sure you're safe.

Hephaestus

Sexual crimes. If you don't commit them.....then I'm sure you're safe.
I'm not so sure. Multiple states in America have passed or proposed laws in the last few years that make it clear they consider things like educating children about the existence of LGBT people, or drag shows, or allowing a child to identify as a different gender as child abuse - it's easy to see why that tweeter is mindful of the possibility that Florida starts classifying any of that as "sexual crimes" at which point that law would make it legal to execute them. Hopefully it is just paranoia, but when lawmakers are making it very clear where they stand on whether or not LGBT people should exist, it's easy to understand why that paranoia exists.

Kinsella

Copy & Paste Merchant
That's an extremely trite and stale point that's made by absolutely everybody on social media on a daily basis though. No need to have it made for you by End Wokeness of all "people".
The thing is, he's saying that the media should focus on reporting 'normality' like families going to church - something so normal now that he's been forced to use an illustration from the 1950s to represent - rather than things like celebrities and high fashion. Which do you think will be more interesting to the average reader?
I'll clarify my post to avoid confusion.

When I said that the 'central point about the media (and its power to influence opinion) is correct in my view' - that's my claim regardless of whether he/she meant it or not.

NotThatSoph

I thought it was initiated before and then rebranded and expanded under Musk. Pretty sure it was initially something to do with Covid
The project is several years old, originally called Birdwatch or something like that. It was in testing for a long time, and was public for all Americans before Musk took over. The international release happened after.

Murder on Zidane's Floor

You'd better not kill Giroud
I'm not so sure. Multiple states in America have passed or proposed laws in the last few years that make it clear they consider things like educating children about the existence of LGBT people, or drag shows, or allowing a child to identify as a different gender as child abuse - it's easy to see why that tweeter is mindful of the possibility that Florida starts classifying any of that as "sexual crimes" at which point that law would make it legal to execute them. Hopefully it is just paranoia, but when lawmakers are making it very clear where they stand on whether or not LGBT people should exist, it's easy to understand why that paranoia exists.
Have they? Though the legislation was about changing curriculum. I think it's hyperbole to suggest someone telling a kid, "gay people exist" will be treated the same as someone who molests a kid.

berbatrick

Renaissance Man
Scout

Culture wars are so yesterday.
This is cultural revolution! Bring back the boards of shame! Let the enlightened 13 year olds storm the countryside!