The curious case of Jon Moss

TwoSheds

More sheds (and tiles) than you, probably
If the ball is too close for Dier to react then it’s too close for him to read Ronaldos intentions.
Why wouldn’t Ronaldo aim to the right where the space is?
I don't know, why would the defender try to read the intentions of the striker with the ball? :rolleyes:

iammemphis

iwillnotaskforanamechangeagain
The amount of stretching here by some posters. Telles made no attempt to keep his arms close to his body. Clear pen, Was lazy defending. Dier he approaches the tackle with his arms tucked behind his back doing everything possible to not get his hands in the way, despite what happened. No pen.

UncleBob

The amount of stretching here by some posters. Telles made no attempt to keep his arms close to his body. Clear pen, Was lazy defending. Dier he approaches the tackle with his arms tucked behind his back doing everything possible to not get his hands in the way, despite what happened. No pen.
:lol:

Cutch

Northern Ireland. Stretty W3102, Row 2, Seat 129
Spoken like someone thats never played football. Try running alongside someone and tryin to stretch to block a cross with your arms tucked in to your side and see if you don't fall in a heap

iammemphis

iwillnotaskforanamechangeagain
Spoken like someone thats never played football. Try running alongside someone and tryin to stretch to block a cross with your arms tucked in to your side and see if you don't fall in a heap
:lol: Then you fall over in a fecking heap and take the L for not stopping a cross. What you don't do is leave your arm sticking out in the path of the ball especially when in the penalty area. And i am not buying it for one second that it isn't possible to just stretch a leg out when running down the wing at speed. He's made no attempt to hide his arms.

Camilo

Plenty of footballers manage to not wave their arms around like a fanny when blocking crosses. Just because your 7 a side league of fat boys can't manage it doesn't mean a pro can't.

Cutch

Northern Ireland. Stretty W3102, Row 2, Seat 129
:lol: Then you fall over in a fecking heap and take the L for not stopping a cross. What you don't do is leave your arm sticking out in the path of the ball especially when in the penalty area. And i am not buying it for one second that it isn't possible to just stretch a leg out when running down the wing at speed. He's made no attempt to hide his arms.
Plenty of footballers manage to not wave their arms around like a fanny when blocking crosses. Just because your 7 a side league of fat boys can't manage it doesn't mean a pro can't.
You need your arms to balance, its as simple as that. He's not tryin to make himself bigger and its drilled from a yard away at him. Lindelof defends everything with his arms behind his back (like Erik Dier) and it makes him ridiculously easy to turn in the box. Telles is unlucky, his arms are there solely for balance and therefore a natural position

El Zoido

Both were penalties. Difference is one was given on-field and one wasn’t.

CoopersDream

Again, this: https://www.premierleague.com/news/2204759

The second clip in the video is literally the situation with Telles, explaining by Riley and kavanagh
There's a bit of difference in the situations though. The ball in that clip hits the arm, without the defender moving the arm. Telles has his arm along his side when the ball is struck only to move it towards the ball as it goes by. Blatant penalty.

As for the Dier one, if my memory serves me right it's hit from a lot closer range, he doesn't move his arm towards the ball and the arm is in a natural position. Would have been harsh to award that penalty.

Last edited:

VidaRed

Unimaginative FC
Both were pens but to be fair the telles one was a bit more blatant.

UncleBob

There's a bit of difference in the situations though. The ball in that clip hits the arm, without the defender moving the arm. Telles has his arm along his side when the ball is struck only to move it towards the ball as it goes by.

As for the Dier one, if my memory serves me right it's hit from a lot closer range, he doesn't move his arm towards the ball and the arm is in a natural position. Would have been harsh to award that penalty.
Christ :lol:

CoopersDream

You need to actually listen to what he says though. He specifically mentions the defender didn't move his arm towards the ball there, whereas Telles absolutely did. Therefore, while they hit the arm in similar ways, Kavanagh's reasoning in that video does not apply to the Telles situation.

UncleBob

You need to actually listen to what he says though. He specifically mentions the defender didn't move his arm towards the ball there, whereas Telles absolutely did. Therefore, while they hit the arm in similar ways, Kavanagh's reasoning in that video does not apply to the Telles situation.
Telles doesnt move his arm towards the ball :lol: He’s rotating his body towards the left. Jesus

CoopersDream

Telles doesnt move his arm towards the ball :lol: He’s rotating his body towards the left. Jesus
Whatever you say. When the ball is struck he has his arm along his side more or less and then when it hits his arm it's almost 90 degrees out from his body. You can spin it with him rotating his body all you want, but the arm has defninitely moved towards the flight of the ball. Not saying it was done intentionally, but it did happen and therefore it's not the same situation as the one in the video even though they are similar.

Red-17

Again, this: https://www.premierleague.com/news/2204759

The second clip in the video is literally the situation with Telles, explaining by Riley and kavanagh
That's honestly remarkable. I'm sure we will receive a public apology from Mike Riley right? Whoever was on VAR needs some sanctioning; If anythings the clip in the first video is not too far away from what Dier did too and he's saying it should be a penalty. Referees stepping on their own feet again.

90 + 5min

Whatever you say. When the ball is struck he has his arm along his side more or less and then when it hits his arm it's almost 90 degrees out from his body. You can spin it with him rotating his body all you want, but the arm has defninitely moved towards the flight of the ball. Not saying it was done intentionally, but it did happen and therefore it's not the same situation as the one in the video even though they are similar.
Telles situation is penalty in the same way as it is in Dier situation. You can’t have different outcome for pretty much similiar offence. Outstreched arms blocking potential goalscoring opportunity. If you don’t think Dier was penalty the same should apply to Telles. And if you don’t think Dier is penalty then it is just free for all players to flex around with arms like bird and call it natural position.

UncleBob

How many criterias do you want to make up now :lol:

As the interpretation of handball incidents has not always been consistent due to incorrect applications of the Law, the members confirmed that not every touch of a player’s hand/arm with the ball is an offence. In terms of the criterion of the hand/arm making a player’s body “unnaturally bigger”, it was confirmed that referees should continue to use their judgment in determining the validity of the hand/arm’s position in relation to the player’s movement in that specific situation.

Following this clarification, it is a handball offence if a player:

• deliberately touches the ball with their hand/arm, for example moving the hand/arm towards the ball;
  • touches the ball with their hand/arm when it has made their body unnaturally bigger. A player is considered to have made their body unnaturally bigger when the position of their hand/arm is not a consequence of, or justifiable by, the player’s body movement for that specific situation. By having their hand/arm in such a position, the player takes a risk of their hand/arm being hit by the ball and being penalised; or
  • scores in the opponents’ goal:
    • directly from their hand/arm, even if accidental, including by the goalkeeper; or
    • immediately after the ball has touched their hand/arm, even if accidental.
Accidental handball that leads to a team-mate scoring a goal or having a goal-scoring opportunity will no longer be considered an offence.

The replay clearly shows Telles move his right arm towards the left and closer to his body, and his left arm up and towards the left as he rotates his body towards the left. Not sure why it's not considered justifiable by the body movement.

They are fairly fecking identical, the Wolves one even looks worse but according to Kavanagh it shouldn't be given.

CoopersDream

Telles situation is penalty in the same way as it is in Dier situation. You can’t have different outcome for pretty much similiar offence. Outstreched arms blocking potential goalscoring opportunity. If you don’t think Dier was penalty the same should apply to Telles. And if you don’t think Dier is penalty then it is just free for all players to flex around with arms like bird and call it natural position.
Don't agree with that at all, they differ in important ways. As far as the linked video goes, it actually applies to the Dier situation and not the Telles situation.

CoopersDream

The replay clearly shows Telles move his right arm towards the left and closer to his body, and his left arm up and towards the left as he rotates his body towards the left. Not sure why it's not considered justifiable by the body movement.

They are fairly fecking identical, the Wolves one even looks worse but according to Kavanagh it shouldn't be given.
I'm not gonna argue this anymore, because I actually can't do so, but anyway my final say is this: in the upper one the arm is in an almost identical position when the ball is struck and when it hit the hand, whereas it's pretty clear that Telles hand has moved. Whether this is a natural movement or not I won't comment but the fact that it has moved into the trajectory of the ball makes the situations different. You can't say that Kavanag's words "there's no movement towards it it just purely hits the arm" is true when based on the still you have, the arm clearly isn't in the same position when the ball is struck as opposed to when it hits the hand (in the first example between still two and three there's basically no difference in arm position). Again, it might be a natural movement of the arm, but nevertheless it is a movement of the arm.

I would have agreed with you if he only listed situations that should or shouldn't be a penalty, or even if he had omitted the thing I quoted before, but since he said that that makes the situations different in the way they interpret these situations.

Last edited:

Carl

has permanently erect nipples
I don’t agree. If anything there have been inconsistent decisions throughout the season. Somehow more time, lot more, we end up on wrong side of calls.

With all respect to distance, when a ball is going towards goal and player blocks it with outstreched arm it can’t be anything but penalty. He is stopping a good goalscoring chance even if it wasn’t clean hit by Ronaldo.

How long distance do you think it is ok? 34 cm? 3m? 7,45m? Where is that magic number?
It's not "my" magic number. I'm just talking about what we've seen applied by the officials throughout the season.

Red Devil 26

Premature Examination
2 mins added on time but then blows on 46 after spending the best part of a minute sorting out some pushing and shoving. Curious indeed. cnut.

FootballHQ

Supports
Aston Villa
2 mins added on time but then blows on 46 after spending the best part of a minute sorting out some pushing and shoving. Curious indeed. cnut.
Stream I was watching had one minute and he blew just as Gordon was about to cross into the box so weird thing to be offended by being a Man. United fan. :lol:

charlenefan

Far less insightful than the other Charley
Free kick for the ball hitting Matic under the armpit
Free kick for Fred not being anywhere near Iwobi's face

Fat cnut needs to retire

Red Devil 26

Premature Examination
Stream I was watching had one minute and he blew just as Gordon was about to cross into the box so weird thing to be offended by being a Man. United fan. :lol:
Implementation of added on time is one of my biggest gripes. Rather that than talk about the actual footballing stuff right now too...

C'est Moi Cantona

Not sure how a professional ref blows his whistle one minute early, not something I remember seeing very often at all.

Samid

He's no Bilal Ilyas Jhandir
5 minutes is a pisstake the way Everton players, ball boys and stewards have been wasting time all half. feck off you fat wanker

charlenefan

Far less insightful than the other Charley
Thank feck, just read he's retiring at the end of the season