The definitive list of Caf mistakes

RedSky

Shepherd’s Delight
Scout
Otamendi has been quality for City, been a good signing for them tbh. Vidal has been decent for Barcelona too. Not sure why Dembele is on that list either, he's only 22, same for Rice. None of them would have been dreadful signings. Vidal and Otamendi would have brought leadership too a fairly spineless team.

Speedicut75

Mane was decried as a terrible transfer when his name was mentioned on here during the lvg years.
Yes, I remember this being quite a common opinion on here, while, at the same time, lots of people extolling the virtues of Henrich Mikatarian: we certainly got the shit-end-of-the-stick on that transfer.

Yagami

Good post resistant
Yes, I remember this being quite a common opinion on here, while, at the same time, lots of people extolling the virtues of Henrich Mikatarian: we certainly got the shit-end-of-the-stick on that transfer.
I remember telling people on here he'd be a bad signing and getting stick for it. :D

hasanejaz88

Supports
Germany
Mario Götze was nearly universally seen as the #1 upcoming - can't miss - talent at that time, so you might as well call every football person on the planet clueless.

Even if Haaland ends up a failure he isn't a "CAF mistake" either.
No one could've predicted Gotze's metabolic problems, which are more than simple injuries but something in his body you can't completely erase or fix. Even then, he has a pretty good record for Germany and Bayern.

Deglobalise Football

Supports
Harlepool United
Is this a thread basically stating that football fans know squat? If so, I strongly agree with that message.

lysglimt

Scout
I remember how people slaughtered Darren Fletcher in his first years at United

El Zoido

I remember how people slaughtered Darren Fletcher in his first years at United
Because he was rubbish. I suppose it’s easier for the manager and coaches to see the true potential of a player, before they can realise it on the pitch. He offered absolutely nothing in-game for quite some time. But fair play to him, he developed in to a fantastic footballer.

SadlerMUFC

Thinks for himself
Agree 100%. I've always thought that was Ozils natural progression given his lack of physical strength, similar to Pirlo again. Also, if you look at his last couple of years you will see that he has dropped a lot deeper, also because Arsenal haven't had a good play making midfielder since Carzola started getting injured.

If Ozil gets a couple of workhorses around him, similar to what Pirlo had with Vidal and Marchisio, then he would be a great passing midfielder.
I was thinking more about a "Gatusso" type player, but same difference...

Sandikan

aka sex on the beach
For another thread or private chat, but you can't have it both ways. Whether or not you agree with how rashford came to be in squad the fact is that both he and Martial looked very good with van gaal in charge. If you can blame a manager for stifling a player you have to credit at least a little for when one excels. You don't get to just say he lucked out with him in the team and that's that. Both have massively underperformed with both managers since, though solskjaer seems to be getting it right with them

You have a point with Martial, he put in arguably his best displays early on.

However Rashford had little expectations on him back then, so could barely lose.
He has loads on his shoulders now, so despite performing better than when he emerged, we expect more, so he gets less credit.

McTom in a way is similar. We expected zero of him when he first got in the team. Now he's showing he has plenty more to his game than we thought.
This is the time expectations increase, and he'll have to show more than he did at the start.

amolbhatia50k

Sneaky bum time - Vaccination status: dozed off
Too many names here. This is no definitive list. It's just "players who didn't live up to expectations".

It's more players like Memphis for example who the entire caf collectively wanked about that are genuine gaffs. Or Schneiderlin, most of the place was convinced he was the DM to solve all DM problems.

hasanejaz88

Supports
Germany
Too many names here. This is no definitive list. It's just "players who didn't live up to expectations".

It's more players like Memphis for example who the entire caf collectively wanked about that are genuine gaffs. Or Schneiderlin, most of the place was convinced he was the DM to solve all DM problems.
I think we're too harsh on Memphis, he's doing very well for himself in Lyon, performing in the Ligue 1, UCL and internationally. I think it was more that he wasnt able to adjust in Manchester, especially with a manager like LvG.

Talent wise, he is really good. People compare him to Firmino but I think Memphis would also be doing well in a Klopp side.

amolbhatia50k

Bernardo Silva? Really? When he was in that great Monaco team?
Silva was highly rated by the majority here. In fact most were disappointed that City got him with a few skeptics (as always). Then when he took a hear to adjust the skeptics voices drowned out the others but regardless, the caf rated him. And they were correct.

amolbhatia50k

I think we're too harsh on Memphis, he's doing very well for himself in Lyon, performing in the Ligue 1, UCL and internationally. I think it was more that he wasnt able to adjust in Manchester, especially with a manager like LvG.

Talent wise, he is really good. People compare him to Firmino but I think Memphis would also be doing well in a Klopp side.
Regardless, he was terrible for us despite being hyped up as another Ronaldo whereas Martial was on a weekly basis showing us what a top talent looked like. The difference was stark, as what the hype Vs reality of Memphis at United.

lysglimt

Scout
It was warranted back then.

Darren was a very late bloomer. When he bloomes he got the accolade he deserves. Cant blame the fans for calling it correctly back then
This was back in the 03/04/05 seasons when he was 19-20 years old - so no it was completely unwarranted, especially as Fletcher often was made to play almost as a winger.

Lastwolf

I always wanted to actually looking into this, go through a list of the players people got mad when someone else snapped them up or we didn't sign them and then they didn't turn out of be all that great.

Pedro
Serge Aurier
Fábio Coentrão

Are the only ones that spring to mind.

Bebestation

Im a doctor btw, my IQ destroys yours
I always wanted to actually looking into this, go through a list of the players people got mad when someone else snapped them up or we didn't sign them and then they didn't turn out of be all that great.

Pedro
Serge Aurier
Fábio Coentrão

Are the only ones that spring to mind.
I think Pedro has done well for Chelsea. Especially with everyone still talking about how we should have kept Nani for longer, Pedro reminds me of him in England whilst not exactly playing for the most creative team or managers either.

I never wanted him here though.

Lastwolf

I think Pedro has done well for Chelsea. Especially with everyone still talking about how we should have kept Nani for longer, Pedro reminds me of him in England whilst not exactly playing for the most creative team or managers either.

I never wanted him here though.
He's done okay, I just recall people losing their collective shit in orders of magnatitude beyond his performances.

mu4c_20le

Because he was rubbish. I suppose it’s easier for the manager and coaches to see the true potential of a player, before they can realise it on the pitch. He offered absolutely nothing in-game for quite some time. But fair play to him, he developed in to a fantastic footballer.
He wasn't rubbish. He always had a great engine and a decent cross, but people were expecting him to replace Beckham. Eventually Fergie moved him into central midfield permanently, where he performed in big games. There wasn't some sort of meteoric rise over the years in terms of development, people just started to finally appreciate him more because he showed up more often than the rest.

Canagel

Regardless, he was terrible for us despite being hyped up as another Ronaldo whereas Martial was on a weekly basis showing us what a top talent looked like. The difference was stark, as what the hype Vs reality of Memphis at United.
This doesn't really have any relevance on this thread. Regardless of what you believe of his time here, it's basically a proven fact that he turned into a star for club and country, unlike the list of names on the OP that actually have relevance here.

Brightonian

Fess up. I know there are some wilshere enthusiasts here somewhere
Huge fan. Remains one of the most exciting between the ages of 16 and 18 I've ever seen. Ruined by injuries but the hindsighters pretending he never had anything are talking bollocks.

Wumminator

The Qatar Pounder
Huge fan. Remains one of the most exciting between the ages of 16 and 18 I've ever seen. Ruined by injuries but the hindsighters pretending he never had anything are talking bollocks.
No they are not. A lot of football fans pegged him as overhyped and not deserving praise. It was the first “FM” phenomenon I’ve seen in the flesh. People who watched the games questioned where the hype was coming from, people who played video games were sure he’d succeed.

Eckers99

Michael Corleone says hello
Anyone questioning the 4 year De Gea deal was pretty loudly shouted down, and he's been fairly average again this season. Early days but he's been unconvincing, albeit without the major calamities from the business end of last season.

stubie

I was guilty of wanting Ronaldo gone in 2006 and having Aaron Lennon instead.

It was before my time on the cafe :nervous:

Wumminator

The Qatar Pounder
Anyone questioning the 4 year De Gea deal was pretty loudly shouted down, and he's been fairly average again this season. Early days but he's been unconvincing, albeit without the major calamities from the business end of last season.
This post is up there.

MikeKing

Supports
Bournemouth
I was guilty of wanting Ronaldo gone in 2006 and having Aaron Lennon instead.

It was before my time on the cafe :nervous:
3 years later then 10 years later. I can't believe he never scored a goal for the English national team.

amolbhatia50k

This doesn't really have any relevance on this thread. Regardless of what you believe of his time here, it's basically a proven fact that he turned into a star for club and country, unlike the list of names on the OP that actually have relevance here.
Quoting the OP which you should have probably read.

Every now and then we are linked with a player, sometimes on the basis of little and it causes a real frenzy on the caf. Posters talk with righteousness and certainty that the club are absolutely mad or clueless to not be signing a certain player. Latest efforts seem to be Haaland and Bruno fernandes. Countless times these players have been flops
Also, "regardless of what you believe of his time here"? :lol: Do you hold a different belief that is out of touch with reality or something?

SportingCP96

emotional range of a teaspoon
Supports
Sporting Clube de Portugal
What I remember the most about him was a lot of posters identifying his weak basic technique, passing and decision making. I thought he looked promising, but I think a lot of posters should get credit for their negative attitude towards him before he joined Bayern.
I was one of the main ones to say he would not be a top class player as the only good quality about him was his physicality. Bayern got rinsed.

SportingCP96

Supports
I recall my friends being gutted we didn’t sign Sanches despite only seeing that cameo against England. How’s he doing at Lille?
He is absolute dog shit.

SportingCP96

Supports
I enrolled when Conte got the seat at Chelsea and many many posters were rating him pretty badly, even suggesting he should have taken an assistant position under Mourinho... Sure, he can behave like a proper nutter, but he proved again he is a top top coach by winning the PL immediately.
Conte is a great manager I am surprised so many doubted him.