Television The Disappearance of Madeleine Mccann Netflix Documentary

Moriarty

So you haven't read it then, and have no answer to what "evidence" he has provided that proves his claims.
Rather than him writing the book for mere financial gain (350,000 euros the quoted figure to date)
Ad hominem attacks won't get you anywhere. If you can't be bothered to do the basic reading, why should I do it for you?

Alex99

Rehab's Pete Doherty
What about the shutters?
My interest in this case has long since waned, so I can only remember something about shutters as a part of some theory. What was their significance again?

Paxi

Dagestani MMA Boiled Egg Expert
There's lots of stuff surrounding this case that makes no sense. The media pressure came to bear pretty much straight away, and accusations of incompetence were levelled at the Portuguese police from day one.
I believe the pressure came when the authorities broke protocol and went public, and to my mind made up a person of interest.

Paxi

There's so much rumour and misinformation surrounding this case out there that this might be bollocks, but I'm fairly sure I read that the apartment was a ground floor apartment, at roadside, and that they left the patio door unlocked, and that when Kate went to check, her immediate reaction was to yell, "they've taken her, the bastards have taken her," which just seems extremely odd.
Which is the documentary's version of events. Minus the Bastards part. I do find it odd how she would think that a child has automatically been kidnapped.

Sandikan

aka sex on the beach
You can find summaries online and even an English translation. If you haven't read it, how can you argue against it based on any summary I can provide?
The truth is his version is just that, and hasn't been proven.
If he was a reputable character he probably wouldn't have been sacked from the force, and most likely wouldn't be profiteering from other's misery with his book.

Sandikan

aka sex on the beach
Which is the documentary's version of events. Minus the Bastards part. I do find it odd how she would think that a child has automatically been kidnapped.
It does seem an odd thing to say, but I guess there is no standard way to act in shock.

Moriarty

My interest in this case has long since waned, so I can only remember something about shutters as a part of some theory. What was their significance again?
In the immediate aftermath of the disappearance. Kate McCann alleged that an intruder came in through the window by jemmying the shutters. This information was relayed to the press by her family members back in England. The Portuguese police examined the shutters and also the door and reported that they were undamaged. Their story began to change which, according to Amaral, first raised his suspicions.

Paxi

It does seem an odd thing to say, but I guess there is no standard way to act in shock.
Yeah there is no definitive way of knowing until it happens to you.

Paxi

Bit off topic but there are young'uns on Fb etc who haven't a fecking clue who Maddie McCann is which makes me feel old as feck.

Drainy

Bit off topic but there are young'uns on Fb etc who haven't a fecking clue who Maddie McCann is which makes me feel old as feck.
Suppose outside of this documentary you only hear about it when the police are given additional funding for further investigation.

arnie_ni

Such an interesting case, but one that can provide nothing but frustration as we'll simply never know.

While it's very easy to say you'd never leave your kids for more than however long, I think people underestimate how close the restaurant was to the room. Plus there were hourly checks. These checks were made on rotation by the group, so this surely rules out any idea that Madeline was dead "days" before the missing date (one theory).

The evidence of "blood" and smell of "death" in the room from the Police dogs is interesting, as is the dna match in the hire car. Unexplained situations.

But I've always thought the most likely version was the abductor story, and now the abductor is dead themselves. There were a number of seedy characters in and around the area, a couple who are now dead.

Talk of "Over dosing" her seems ludicrous. This is doctors we're talking about here. You'd need a tonne too high a dose for that.
And talk of some elaborate cover up, managing to do it, hide it from their friends who were helping carrying out the checks, and then managing to get rid of the body all in a small time frame seem to ask for pretty epic levels of stealth.

The Portuguese investigation seemed a bit of a joke as well, one investigator coming up with outrageous slurs against them, and getting kicked off the case, and sued.

Some of the McCanns comments and soundbites are a bit off, but if they've just had their daughter stolen, how should they act? Most likely you'll be all over the place.
Gerry checked once, a friend checked once but didnt actually go into the room, kate then went and she was gone. It was half hourly checks as well so she went missing after an hour.

Paxi

Suppose outside of this documentary you only hear about it when the police are given additional funding for further investigation.
Yeah it's something my wee brother commented on. He's 17. He'd have been 6...

Ps. That long haired Daily Mail wanker wants it to be Murat so bad. The British media really ate the poor guy alive. Good job he got substantial pay out and an apology which no one read.

Alex99

Rehab's Pete Doherty
In the immediate aftermath of the disappearance. Kate McCann alleged that an intruder came in through the window by jemmying the shutters. This information was relayed to the press by her family members back in England. The Portuguese police examined the shutters and also the door and reported that they were undamaged. Their story began to change which, according to Amaral, first raised his suspicions.
Ah yeah, I remember that now.

I'm not sure I can bring myself to believe any of the peadophile ring theories, or those that suggest the McCann's either purposely or accidentally caused Madeleine's death, but in my eyes, they're certainly guilty of severe, criminal neglect of their children, regardless of how many other people did the same or similar back then.

I would love to see a proper justification for the continued funding of this case. It appears there have been no leads or new information in the last decade, yet more and more money gets thrown at it.

arnie_ni

There's so much rumour and misinformation surrounding this case out there that this might be bollocks, but I'm fairly sure I read that the apartment was a ground floor apartment, at roadside, and that they left the patio door unlocked, and that when Kate went to check, her immediate reaction was to yell, "they've taken her, the bastards have taken her," which just seems extremely odd.
Exactly right according to the documentary. The apartment wasnt even locked ffs

Moriarty

The truth is his version is just that, and hasn't been proven.
If he was a reputable character he probably wouldn't have been sacked from the force, and most likely wouldn't be profiteering from other's misery with his book.
Well that's always the problem with any account of this nature. Police officers speculate; it is part of their job, and Amaral soon came to suspect the McCanns were lying. As for him being sacked, enormous pressure was brought to bear on the Portuguese authorities by the British government to solve the case, or, as some have suggested, to make it fit the narrative put forward by the McCanns.

I have no doubt Amaral was embittered by what happened, but he wouldn't be the first copper to have felt the hot breath of politicians on his neck in a sensitive case (John Stalker?). As for profiteering, that cuts both ways. The McCanns have received quite a lot of money during the pendency of this inquiry and even now, in 2019, Scotland Yard are seeking more funding to find Madeleine. Maybe Amaral was motivated by money in part but that doesn't explain why Kate McCann's story kept on changing or why she refused to answer police questions.

If you don't want to read his book, and you're interested in the case, watch Richard D. Hall's documentary films or check out 'The McCann Files' where you'll find a lot of interesting stuff.

Sandikan

aka sex on the beach
Well that's always the problem with any account of this nature. Police officers speculate; it is part of their job, and Amaral soon came to suspect the McCanns were lying. As for him being sacked, enormous pressure was brought to bear on the Portuguese authorities by the British government to solve the case, or, as some have suggested, to make it fit the narrative put forward by the McCanns.

I have no doubt Amaral was embittered by what happened, but he wouldn't be the first copper to have felt the hot breath of politicians on his neck in a sensitive case (John Stalker?). As for profiteering, that cuts both ways. The McCanns have received quite a lot of money during the pendency of this inquiry and even now, in 2019, Scotland Yard are seeking more funding to find Madeleine. Maybe Amaral was motivated by money in part but that doesn't explain why Kate McCann's story kept on changing or why she refused to answer police questions.

If you don't want to read his book, and you're interested in the case, watch Richard D. Hall's documentary films or check out 'The McCann Files' where you'll find a lot of interesting stuff.
I'll take a look.

This site below has the other book, and a lot of bits and pieces.

http://goncaloamaraltruthofthelie.blogspot.com/2009/06/chapter-5.html

I still don't think too much into the McCann's behaviour though. Under that pressure with such a situation happening, I can't imagine anyone is going to be too polished.
And I dare say I'd eventually snap if the line of questioning seems to be getting at me, rather than what I felt was looking for the abductor.

arnie_ni

If she was still alive and seen a picture of her 3 year old self, would she recognise herself?

Sandikan

aka sex on the beach
If she was still alive and seen a picture of her 3 year old self, would she recognise herself?
Most likely not, as you'd only recognise yourself from that age if you'd seen the photos before. Which she wouldn't have.

Catt

Ole's at the wheel!
Would you not investigate in and around the apartment to see if an unattended 3 year old could have maybe climbed out of the window or ended venturing out somewhere, because, you know; they're fecking 3 and don't have a clue. Why would you suddenly come to conclusion that Maddie was taken?
It was the way they found the apartment after she was gone. Something about the shutters/windows.

Who are "they" ?

Ducklegs

Part of first caf team to complete Destiny raid
What ever the truth is, the McCanns are...........................................not good people.

Moriarty

This is a good site for the book and other bits and pieces. While I don't believe his conclusion as such, a lot of the info is very interesting.

http://goncaloamaraltruthofthelie.blogspot.com/2009/06/chapter-5.html

As for the McCann's behaviour, I can't get beyond the lack of allowance for such a horrific situation. I dare say most of us would be all over the place. And after relentless grillings we'd probably get petulant, and ask how is this helping getting her back.
Actually, I had very little interest in the case in 2007. Mrs Moriarty got an e-copy of Amaral's book a few years ago and I read it on a wet weekend when I was laid up with a bad cold. That sparked my interest and I watched Hall's films; not that I didn't have enough of my own work to do, but it was a diversion and a bit of a busman's holiday.

If my child had gone missing from my holiday flat, I would move heaven and earth to find them. But, there again, I wouldn't leave the child alone in a flat while I went out for a meal. There's just too much that is unexplained: the blood evidence, the cadaver dogs, the changing stories, the refusal to answer questions, and so on. Will it ever be solved? I don't think so. Not now and we will never know what happened to that child.

Catt

Ole's at the wheel!
I think it was because the windows or shutters had been opened. When they opened the door they noticed as it slammed. A child probably couldn't do that.

Moriarty

Well, one theory poses the idea that the McCann's and their friends essentially pimped out their children as part of a peadophile ring. Make of that what you will.
There was the strange statement given to the Leicester police by a friend of the McCanns Dr. Gasper. It makes for quite disturbing reading:

“One night, when all the adults, that is, from those couples I have mentioned above, were all sitting around on a patio outside the house where we were all staying. We had been eating and drinking ‘Berbers’.
I was sitting between Gerry and Dave and I think both were talking about Madeleine. I can’t remember the conversation in its entirety, but they seemed to be discussing a particular scenario. I remember Dave saying to Gerry something about ‘she’, meaning Madeleine, ‘would do this’.

“While he mentioned the word ‘this’, Dave was doing the action of sucking one of his fingers, pushing it in and out of his mouth, while with his other hand he was doing a circle around his nipple, with a circular movement around his clothes. This was done in a provocative way. There seemed to be an explicit insinuation about what he was saying and doing. I remember being shocked by that. I always felt it was something very weird and that it was not something anyone should say or do. I looked at Gerry, and also at Dave, to gauge their reactions."

You can read the entire thing here: http://thegaspersstatement.blogspot.com/

arnie_ni

There was the strange statement given to the Leicester police by a friend of the McCanns Dr. Gasper. It makes for quite disturbing reading:

“One night, when all the adults, that is, from those couples I have mentioned above, were all sitting around on a patio outside the house where we were all staying. We had been eating and drinking ‘Berbers’.
I was sitting between Gerry and Dave and I think both were talking about Madeleine. I can’t remember the conversation in its entirety, but they seemed to be discussing a particular scenario. I remember Dave saying to Gerry something about ‘she’, meaning Madeleine, ‘would do this’.

“While he mentioned the word ‘this’, Dave was doing the action of sucking one of his fingers, pushing it in and out of his mouth, while with his other hand he was doing a circle around his nipple, with a circular movement around his clothes. This was done in a provocative way. There seemed to be an explicit insinuation about what he was saying and doing. I remember being shocked by that. I always felt it was something very weird and that it was not something anyone should say or do. I looked at Gerry, and also at Dave, to gauge their reactions."

You can read the entire thing here: http://thegaspersstatement.blogspot.com/
Just read that. Who the feck is david payne and was he questioned as a suspect?

LuisNaniencia

Sky Sports called my bluff
From what I've read this documentary appears to be bringing no new evidence, no new ideas, no new point of view and no access to those most intimately involved. It's not like this is some obscure case that people don't know about either. So what's the actual point of it?
I doubt most people know the investigation, setting, suspects etc well unless they've closely followed the case. And it's a huge matter of public interest.

Paxi

No one actually believes that the McCanns were part of some paedophile ring, do they?

RedTillI'mDead

A Key Tool
People really unaware of what happened?! This story has been retold year after year in the press etc so unless you're 9 or 10 anyone with minimal interest would know most of details and theories.

Amazed they've got enough speculative stuff to string out 8 hours of material.

Have to say that's one of my pet hates with modern documentaries/series, how they're strung out over 3/4 episodes when 1 or 2 can wrap things up.
I have to agree with this. Even a one hour documentary called Draining Alcatraz that I watched the other day was basically a 15 minute documentary stretched out with multiple repeats of the same thing that they were going to "show for the first time". Truly horrendous watching.

The the equivalent of TV click bait.

squiggle

Supports
Ligue 1, Arsenal
Yeah that makes me wanna throw up every time I see it, can't comprehend how someone would be thinking that about their child after they've gone missing but to then put it in your fecking book ffs.

Yep.

Odd,certainly, but much in that situation would be odd. I’ve read about people talking about their sons’ or grandsons’ penises like that.

sullydnl

Ross Kemp's caf ID
No one actually believes that the McCanns were part of some paedophile ring, do they?
Nah, most normal people don't. It's the sort of lurid conspiracy theory that people untroubled by either critical thinking skills or common sense can play around with online though.

Wal2Fra

Most likely not, as you'd only recognise yourself from that age if you'd seen the photos before. Which she wouldn't have.
But she had a very distinct marking in her eye, which wouldn't have disappeared. If she is still alive and seeing the photos, you would think it would be something that she would look into.

Sandikan

aka sex on the beach
But she had a very distinct marking in her eye, which wouldn't have disappeared. If she is still alive and seeing the photos, you would think it would be something that she would look into.
If she was trafficked to some random country or by whatever gang of travellers as some suggested, chances are she wouldn't even come across the photo or case

SirAF

Ageist
If she was trafficked to some random country or by whatever gang of travellers as some suggested, chances are she wouldn't even come across the photo or case
My thought as well, but you beat me to it.

Wal2Fra

Good point.

I was thinking to simple on that one.

There are just so many different theories, I don't believe it will ever be solved.

My biggest grind with the whole story, is that those 2 have been making money off it the whole way. Guilty or not, I don't understand how that can happen. The news stories, books, interviews etc. It is wrong on so many levels.

Sandikan

aka sex on the beach
Good point.

I was thinking to simple on that one.

There are just so many different theories, I don't believe it will ever be solved.

My biggest grind with the whole story, is that those 2 have been making money off it the whole way. Guilty or not, I don't understand how that can happen. The news stories, books, interviews etc. It is wrong on so many levels.
They're funding the search. They're not making money.

They were already rich doctors.

FootballHQ

Supports
Aston Villa
Well, the documentary is on Netflix in all the non-UK places...

I’ve never heard of Madeleine McCann in my life.
Genuinely surprised by that, you live in the States I assume? People forget some of the stuff the McCanns pulled in the months after she went missing, there was a worldwide concert (Gerry McCann wanted Elton John to lead things but can't remember if he turned up) and they got their own audience with the Pope ffs. :houllier: All that was making worldwide headlines in 2007.

Have to say watching the first two episodes of that Sunderland doc and I was rolling my eyes at all the dumbed down info "THREE teams get relegated from the premier league" etc. Probably a bug bearer of mine with how Netflix do documentaries.

FootballHQ

Supports
Aston Villa
Probably me putting two seperate theories together but apparently years later Gerry McCann claimed they saw distant people taking photos of small kids on the beach so maybe they'd talked about that just before the incident occured and first irrational thought was they were being watched from the road and someone had broken it.

The child smuggling ring was one of the theories anyway in the early days of the investigation and still lingers.

Have to say though if they felt that could be an issue I wouldn't let any young child in a foreign land out of sight, would be in their prams while having dinner if needs be.