The Double Draft

Deleted member 101472

Thanks lads . So in essence , someone can pick a player I might not have thought of , then I can get into a bidding war with them ? So long as I don't have more than 4 active bids

Ecstatic

Cutie patootie!
Supports
PsG
Thanks lads . So in essence , someone can pick a player I might not have thought of , then I can get into a bidding war with them ? So long as I don't have more than 4 active bids
This is my understanding

Chesterlestreet

Man of the crowd
Yep. Which is why I hate auctions. No room for being all that clever. Only certain way to land a player in the "hidden gem" category is to make sure you have enough dough left to fight off anyone else who might be keen on him.

In a hypothetical and not entirely unrealistic scenario, introducing said gem can even be a downright stupid idea, as you only strengthen someone else by doing so.

Chesterlestreet

Man of the crowd
Last pick made at 1900 BST - right?

So @mazhar13 has 2hrs, 40mins left on the clock.

I'm thinking maybe 10AM is a bit too early, @Edgar Allan Pillow - not much time between T-bola and the auction. If maz doesn't post until close to the deadline - or even worse, if he shows up late, it won't be more than 8hrs or so at best.

12 hrs between T-bola and auction sounds more reasonable, if you ask me. You said it yourself above - meltdowns, yes. But ideally not over technicalities.

Pat_Mustard

I'm so gorgeous they want to put me under arrest!
A never-nude? I thought he just liked cut-offs.
Last pick made at 1900 BST - right?

So @mazhar13 has 2hrs, 40mins left on the clock.

I'm thinking maybe 10AM is a bit too early, @Edgar Allan Pillow - not much time between T-bola and the auction. If maz doesn't post until close to the deadline - or even worse, if he shows up late, it won't be more than 8hrs or so at best.

12 hrs between T-bola and auction sounds more reasonable, if you ask me. You said it yourself above - meltdowns, yes. But ideally not over technicalities.
If Mazhar misses the deadline the difficulty with proceeding with T-Bola is that he effectively gains an advantage with being able to make his last snake pick knowing who has went AWOL on him.

Tuppet

If Mazhar misses the deadline the difficulty with proceeding with T-Bola is that he effectively gains an advantage with being able to make his last snake pick knowing who has went AWOL on him.
Exactly what I was thinking, he has no reason to pick next player on time :) . The only downside for him is that it increase the probability of him losing a DOFI player.

Pat_Mustard

Yep. Which is why I hate auctions. No room for being all that clever. Only certain way to land a player in the "hidden gem" category is to make sure you have enough dough left to fight off anyone else who might be keen on him.

In a hypothetical and not entirely unrealistic scenario, introducing said gem can even be a downright stupid idea, as you only strengthen someone else by doing so.
Indeed. Exhibit A from the British/Irish Draft, courtesy of our draftmaster Edgar :D.

To: @crappycraperson @Gio @Lynk @Skizzo @Pat_Mustard @Raees @Edgar Allan Pillow @MJJ @manikandan nair @Barney @Joga Bonito @Annahnomoss @Stobzilla @Chesterlestreet @SirAF
Cc: @harms @PedroMendez @Balu @sajeev @Jammydodger7 @BigDunc9 @Cutch @VivaJanuzaj @Tompo @rpitroda @Isotope @Thisistheone

BOTD AWARD

The world-famous BOTD Award Ceremony is fast approaching and, as someone who has posted more than once on this thread, you have been invited to vote as part of our panel of experts. The organising committe was tempted to run a poll, but it would be a bit much.

The BOTD Award is an exclusive and prestigious award. It's not for the run-off-the-mill personalities but reserved only to those capable of the unthinkable. The Award was introduced all the way back in 1950 when Neil Franklin's move to Independiente Santa Fé was narrowly defeated by Jules Rimet emerging from the Maracaná changing rooms, cup in hand, looking for the Brazilian captain. The winner though, by a landslide, was the Major of Rio de Janeiro for his pre-WC Final address to the players. In 1954 Sepp Herberger won it after building his team around a player who only played well when it rained. Voting closed before the final. Other award-winners include Kevin "Love It" Keegan, Alan "Kids" Hansen and Steven "Slippy" Gerrard.

In this edition, we will crown one of the most accomplished brainfarters in history, with an unprecedented three out of three nominations a feat that will take tremendous application to supersede.

The nominees are:

1) Edgar Allan Pillow - for "Inelligible team" - while Michael Owen is half Welsh, the rules were clear in that he wasn't a straight swap for Sparky Hughes. He was brought on to play out a won game, on the counter, but resulted in docked points and the loss of first place. The latter favoured a still makeshift Team MJJ, the eventual winners, who avoided certain early elimination at the hands of Team Annah.

2) Edgar Allan Pillow - for "Gift-wrapping Souness" - again, with Team MJJ now qualified for the semis, Edgar bails MJJ out of an unwanted high bid on Best, opening the door for him to get the reinforcements needed: a RW and a striker or midfielder for even less money. Matthews joined on the cheap, Law was still unattainable and, with no nominations left and MJJ/mani up shit creek, Edgar throws them a lifeline by nominating the best remaining midfielder in the draft even when he couldn't buy him and didn't need him.

3) Edgar Allan Pillow - for "Suicidal starting lineup" - after ignoring the need for a top marksman, Pillow decides to add a tiny bit more firepower at the expense of having Paul Scholes in midfield, leaving Nobby Stiles to do all the defending against a midfield of Lisbon Lions and 2002 BOTD winner Roy "Saipan" Keane (his "TCs Garden" nomination will feature in 2015). Baffled travelling fans had been noticing the unorthodox formation in training and had put forward their concerns at the team hotel only to be told:

DISCLAIMER: BOTD does not condone and cannot be held responsible for the actions of others. Mr. Pillock, sorry, Pillow, is under investigation and facing match-fixing allegations. BOTD has at no point promoted such outcomes and were Mr. Pillow to be found guilty he would be dispossessed of his award as it would not be the result of a genuine brainfart but a calculated one. The award would then go to the fourth nominee MJJ for "Picking more support strikers and AMs than can fit in two teams" fka "The Isotope"

PLEASE REPLY POSTING YOUR NAME UNDER THE DESIRED OPTION - ALSO FEEL FREE TO SHARE WITH US YOUR FAVOURITE BOTD WINNERS OF AGES PAST

1) Edgar Allan Pillow - for "Inelligible team"

2) Edgar Allan Pillow - for "Gift-wrapping Souness"
antohan

3) Edgar Allan Pillow - for "Suicidal starting lineup"

Chesterlestreet

Man of the crowd
Well, if EAP wants to, he can always play hardball: mazhar loses one of his seven to T-bola and a) has to buy a minimum of 8 players in the auction or b) gets a sheep before we proceed with the auction.

Harsh - but in the event of him not showing up on time, something has to be done. He can't just get a regular snake pick post T-bola, that would be a mockery of the game (as Pat suggests above).

Chesterlestreet

Man of the crowd
ndeed. Exhibit A from the British/Irish Draft, courtesy of our draftmaster Edgar :D.
:lol: Classic material.

The British draft was even worse than a regular auction in the sense we're talking about here, though, since we had those half-arse "criteria" limiting who you could bid on in separate rounds - and you couldn't nominate more than two players either.

Enigma_87

You know who
Well, if EAP wants to, he can always play hardball: mazhar loses one of his seven to T-bola and a) has to buy a minimum of 8 players in the auction or b) gets a sheep before we proceed with the auction.

Harsh - but in the event of him not showing up on time, something has to be done. He can't just get a regular snake pick post T-bola, that would be a mockery of the game (as Pat suggests above).
Or Edgar can just do the T-bola with mazhar in it without revealing his result(can use player #7 in the randomizer) and post the result after mazhar makes his final pick.

Chesterlestreet

Man of the crowd
Or Edgar can just do the T-bola with mazhar in it without revealing his result(can use player #7 in the randomizer) and post the result after mazhar makes his final pick.
That would work - yes.

The other problem still remains, though - there won't be much of an intermission if we're still cracking on with the 10 AM opening.

It doesn't really matter to me, personally, as I'm off work the whole week - but others may not be so fortunate.

Enigma_87

You know who
That would work - yes.

The other problem still remains, though - there won't be much of an intermission if we're still cracking on with the 10 AM opening.

It doesn't really matter to me, personally, as I'm off work the whole week - but others may not be so fortunate.
Would make more sense to have it as early kick off for the auction instead of late one. IMO it should be either tomorrow at 10 or if not the next day at 10. Kicking off the auction late in the evening won't generate much traction.

Pat_Mustard

That would work - yes.

Staying true to your 'only pick whilst intoxicated' rule I hope and trust? :)

Chesterlestreet

Man of the crowd
Staying true to your 'only pick whilst intoxicated' rule I hope and trust? :)
Absolutely. I've not made a single pick whilst sober - and that's the truth. It should be said, though, that I haven't been positively plastered either - more like...mellow. So, it could get far worse - or better, perhaps, you never know.

Chesterlestreet

Man of the crowd
Would make more sense to have it as early kick off for the auction instead of late one. IMO it should be either tomorrow at 10 or if not the next day at 10. Kicking off the auction late in the evening won't generate much traction.
That might be - but I'm mainly worried about people not being properly aware. You don't want people showing up late, kicking up a fuss about not having been informed well (enough) in advance, etc.

On that note, I favour Downcast's suggestion. No need to rush, really - the first proper pick was made sometime after midnight on Saturday, so it's moved along pretty nicely so far.

mazhar13

Kermit Inc. 2022
Scout
Alright, boys, I took a long time to think about this, but ah well, I'll get this player who'll be a guaranteed vote magnet.

Mazhar13 - 1. M Le Tissier 2. Gento 3. Sammer 4. Pirri 5. Cristiano 6. Vierchowod 7. Iniesta 8. Pogba
Joga bonito - 1. Carrick 2. Breitner 3. Facchetti 4. Burgnich 5. Kalle Rummenigge 6. Rivelino 7. Zico 8. Griezmann
Cal? - 1. M Scholl 2. Desailly 3. N Santos 4. Cannavaro 5. Cruyff 6. Neymar 7. P R Falcao 8. D Alves
harms - 1. Éder Assis 2. Luis Suárez Miramontes 3. Cafu 4. J. Masopust 5. Messi 6. Chumpitaz 7. Zidane 8. Seeler
RedTiger/Marty - 1. A di Livio 2. K-H. Schnellinger 3. Lahm 4. F. Hierro 5. van Basten 6. W. Overath 7. Xavi 8. Hidegkuti
Tuppet - 1. B Schneider 2. Gullit 3. Passarella 4. D. Santos 5. Romario 6. H. Stoichkov 7. M Laudrup 8. Robson
P-Nut - 1. Ince 2. Batistuta 3. Baresi 4. Alaba 5. Ronaldo (fenomeno) 6. Gentile 7. Platini 8. Vieira
Chesterlestreet - 1. T. Motta 2. L. Thuram 3. B. Moore 4. J. Santamaría 5. R. Baggio 6. D. De Gea 7. B. Charlton 8. K-H. Förster
DavidG - 1. Petit. 2. Hugo Sanchez 3. Maldini 4. Duncan Edwards 5. Gerd Muller 6. Costacurta 7. Didi 8. Tresor
Sjor - 1. Camoranesi 2. Schweinsteiger 3. Krol 4. Ferdinand 5. Di Stefano 6. Courtois 7. Keane 8. Blokhin
Invictus - 1. O Hargreaves 2. Redondo 3. Nesta 4. Brehme 5. Eusebio 6. Jairzinho 7. Ronaldinho 8. Varela
Enigma - 1. Ze Roberto 2. Rivaldo 3. Figueroa 4. Bergomi 5. Pele 6. Davids 7. Bozsik 8. Tigana
Raees - 1. D Baggio 2. Figo 3. Vogts 4. Charles 5. Best 6. J. Nasazzi 7. Neeskens 8. Blanc
Skizzo/Pat - 1. Solskjaer 2. Van Hanegem 3. Kohler 4. Zanetti 5. Henry 6. Verratti 7. Rijkaard 8. Schuster
ctp - 1. Ginola 2. Netzer 3. Beckenbauer 4. Carlos Alberto 5. Garrincha 6. Kocsis 7. Matthäus 8. S. Busquets
Downcast - 1. Wes Brown 2. Robben 3. Scirea 4. Roberto Carlos 5. Puskas 6. Tardelli 7. Maradona 8. L. Monti

@Edgar Allan Pillow

Deleted member 101472

Bye bye baresi!
Cheerio Cristiano!
Goodbye Garrincha !
Maybe next time Messi !
Piss off pele!

Chesterlestreet

Man of the crowd
86% chance of this turning out fairly well.

Don't care that much about who goes as long as it ain't Dave. But I'd like to keep both my Bobs.

Chesterlestreet

Man of the crowd
With due respect to Baggio, that could've been a lot worse.

Now, to prepare a priority list for the auction.