The F1 2004 Season thread.

MelvinYeo

I'm only here for the post count
Reflectorboy said:
jenson is going to williams,bad move if you ask me
Why?

Good move imo, Williams are the better team with a bigger budget and a better engine and possibly a better car.

Keane16

Redcafe Minister for Guinness Therapy
I think Jenson is right to go to Williams. BAR face an uncertain future. Honda will take it over completely soon enough and Button does not need that kind of upheavel. He is coming into his prime as an F1 driver and needs to be with either Ferrari, Williams or McLaren in order to win the World Championship.

MelvinYeo

Keane16 said:
I think Jenson is right to go to Williams. BAR face an uncertain future. Honda will take it over completely soon enough and Button does not need that kind of upheavel. He is coming into his prime as an F1 driver and needs to be with either Ferrari, Williams or McLaren in order to win the World Championship.

Yep I agree completely.

Jeffchin

Last Man Standing finalist 2022/23
What's happening with the F1 scene now man? I seldom follow the sport nowadays after Mika's retirement....so red is still the dominant colour I see, judging from the posts I glanced through...I guess there's nothhing much I miss then.....Let me know when Schumi retires...meanwhile I'll just stick to the WRC..:D

Keane16

Jeffchin said:
What's happening with the F1 scene now man? I seldom follow the sport nowadays after Mika's retirement....so red is still the dominant colour I see, judging from the posts I glanced through...I guess there's nothhing much I miss then.....Let me know when Schumi retires...meanwhile I'll just stick to the WRC..:D
Eddie Irvine retired - and probably a few other less important things I can't remember.

Richter

Hairy big footed Swede
Come on Schumi!! Hehe gets a bit boring with Schumacher winning every race.

MelvinYeo

It was a bore alright, Ferrari managed to win despite any feckin trouble, kjust how lucky can you get.

cnuts.

Reflectorboy

Future friend of the first team
it isn't a bore...f1 is just as interesting...i love to see the red barren winning every race with ease
come on schumi,..only few more records to beat

Cal?

CR7 fan
It's looking more and more like that feckwit Montoya ruined Schumi's chances of the perfect season. Well, 16 out of 17 will have to do. ;)

Keane16

For the life of me, I cannot understand why the other teams just sit there and let Ferrari win as they please. With qualifying as it is, why not send Klien or Sato or Pizzonia or Coulthard into qualifying with just a splash of fuel? By doing this, the teams will still have their real driver on a more conventional winning strategy. By sending the plebs out light, they will have the upper hand in the opening stages, compressing the field. This has the two fold effect of not letting Ferrari get away in the first stint, as well as allowing the pack to have a bite at the back of Mick's car at every available opportunity. When the race settles down, which would be half distance I reckon, the landscape of the grid will have returned to some semblace of normality, but Ferrari will be fighting with Button, Raikkonen, Montoya etc, over half a race distance, knowing that their strategy is severly compromised. Doing this in Hungary would hgave been easy and Ferrari wouldn't have won. Plus we get to see some action.

Instead, Ferrari won as they pleased, Williams circulated harmlessly, Flavio's team was just happy to be on TV again and BAR kept wondering if their car was as good as it looked.

Reflectorboy

keane,the other teams did not just sit there and let ferrari win,they cannot match ferarri's pace.I was surprise BAR did not do well there,montoya is crap and so is williams as ever,mclaren has 'great realiability'.

Keane16

Reflectorboy said:
keane,the other teams did not just sit there and let ferrari win,they cannot match ferarri's pace.
So why don't they interfere with Ferrari's pace by getting ahead of them in qualifying with one of their cars? Hold Ferrari back in 4th or 5th for the opening stint and let their star driver try and pull a move on Mick. In the end it may not work, but it beats doing nothing, which is what they are doing now.

Apart from Flavio, who is probably looking at himself in the mirror.

MelvinYeo

Keane16 said:
So why don't they interfere with Ferrari's pace by getting ahead of them in qualifying with one of their cars? Hold Ferrari back in 4th or 5th for the opening stint and let their star driver try and pull a move on Mick. In the end it may not work, but it beats doing nothing, which is what they are doing now.

Apart from Flavio, who is probably looking at himself in the mirror.
They KNOW that the Ferrari are too fast for them so they will always play a safety in their number two looking for a couple of points here and there.

Not helping the racing but thats what they have to do, get some points.

Keane16

MelvinYeo said:
They KNOW that the Ferrari are too fast for them so they will always play a safety in their number two looking for a couple of points here and there.

Not helping the racing but thats what they have to do, get some points.
So they are just letting them win then.

If they are not doing all they can to stop them, then they are letting them win.

MelvinYeo

Keane16 said:
So they are just letting them win then.

If they are not doing all they can to stop them, then they are letting them win.
Yes indeed they're letting them win.

I've never said they wer not letting them win.

The teams behind will be happier with a third place 2 laps behind the Ferrari rather than go for the spectatcular and yielding nothing.

Keane16

I would hardly call it spectacular.

It seems like good sense to me. Instead of both cars having no chance to win and Ferari being left alone, you have one car on pole, one car with a chance to win and Ferrari wondering whats hit them.

Reflectorboy

keane,we saw in a few races this year,ferrari qualified and even after the first corner M Schumacher wasn't 1st but eventually they won the race,what does that tell you?ferrari are class apart,maybe part of the reason of ferrari's dominance is due to great strategy....remember the 4 stop race?
anyway teams can't get pole position unless either ferrari let them because of strategy or due to a mistake by the drivers.as we all know ferrari's pace are of different class to the rest,if the rest put in a fast lap,all ferrari has to do is put the same fuel level and the car will be faster

Keane16

Reflectorboy said:
keane,we saw in a few races this year,ferrari qualified and even after the first corner M Schumacher wasn't 1st but eventually they won the race,what does that tell you?ferrari are class apart,maybe part of the reason of ferrari's dominance is due to great strategy....remember the 4 stop race?
It tells me that the other teams are bending over for them. Its not like Mick has a secret tactic. He just has a few more laps of fuel, flies when they pit, and comes out ahead. Every race its the same story. Why don't the others try something unusual to stop him? Williams and McLaren are having their worst seasons for years and Renault/BAR are too small time to try and put one over on Ferrari. They are just happy to be on TV.

How do you negate Mick's extra few laps of fuel? By making sure he is behind someone and hasn't a clear lap, or else, by making sure that when he comes out he is behind someone. Back him into the pack in the early stages, put him in traffic and he won't have the freedom to dictate the race. Never let them have pole. They may pull a four stopper to counteract that, but let them work for a living - its too easy now, even for Rubens. When they are working they can make mistakes.

Reflectorboy said:
anyway teams can't get pole position unless either ferrari let them because of strategy or due to a mistake by the drivers.as we all know ferrari's pace are of different class to the rest,if the rest put in a fast lap,all ferrari has to do is put the same fuel level and the car will be faster
Anyone can have pole anytime they want - within reason. If Williams, BAR, Renault, McLaren, maybe Jaguar, Sauber etc on certain tracks - if they put in a very light fuel load in qualifying they'll beat Ferrari's two stopping car. The trick in converting this grid superiority is to have three or four cars doing this, whilst their main driver goes on the best strategy available according to the computer. Using this, they are not letting Ferrari get away early and dominate the race, they'll be racing Mick from the second stop until the end, rather than from the first, in which case he has less time to humiliate them.

MelvinYeo

Keane16 said:
It tells me that the other teams are bending over for them. Its not like Mick has a secret tactic. He just has a few more laps of fuel, flies when they pit, and comes out ahead. Every race its the same story. Why don't the others try something unusual to stop him? Williams and McLaren are having their worst seasons for years and Renault/BAR are too small time to try and put one over on Ferrari. They are just happy to be on TV.

How do you negate Mick's extra few laps of fuel? By making sure he is behind someone and hasn't a clear lap, or else, by making sure that when he comes out he is behind someone. Back him into the pack in the early stages, put him in traffic and he won't have the freedom to dictate the race. Never let them have pole. They may pull a four stopper to counteract that, but let them work for a living - its too easy now, even for Rubens. When they are working they can make mistakes.

Anyone can have pole anytime they want - within reason. If Williams, BAR, Renault, McLaren, maybe Jaguar, Sauber etc on certain tracks - if they put in a very light fuel load in qualifying they'll beat Ferrari's two stopping car. The trick in converting this grid superiority is to have three or four cars doing this, whilst their main driver goes on the best strategy available according to the computer. Using this, they are not letting Ferrari get away early and dominate the race, they'll be racing Mick from the second stop until the end, rather than from the first, in which case he has less time to humiliate them.
Good post, wonder why you aren't the technical director of the teams

;)

MelvinYeo

kimi Raikkonen!

Wins The Belgian Gp

Thank You For That Best Race Of The Season

Jacqueline_S

Banned Jackie Chan lookalike
good job and well done Kimi, but..
MICHAEL SCHUMACHER IST WELTMEISTER !!!! x7 :devil:

Keane16

It was an OK race, nothing to get too excited about. McLaren have been working hard and Kimi is a class act. If I were him I'd be giving them serious grief about costing him the chance of a run at the title because of their slow cars, ponderous management and his frankly laughable excuse for a team mate.

7 titles for Mick - well done again.

pjaya

one hell of an entertaining race.

ruben wrong tyre choice, shummi spun, kimi car :lol: again, button great race.

MelvinYeo

Good race, I have to praise Ferrari hthis time, great strategy, albeit aided by retirements of a few drivers

Keane16

Michael had Rubens for the taking I reckon. He should have taken him if that was the case - another charity win for Rubens.

Michael was brilliant, the rest look like plebs when he turns it on.

crappycraperson

"Resident cricket authority"
Scout
Keane16 said:
Michael had Rubens for the taking I reckon. He should have taken him if that was the case - another charity win for Rubens.

Michael was brilliant, the rest look like plebs when he turns it on.
Thats not completly true, If there was a chance schumi could have overtaken , he would surelu pulled it off.
Dont discredit Barri

Keane16

crappycraperson said:
Thats not completly true, If there was a chance schumi could have overtaken , he would surelu pulled it off.
Dont discredit Barri
Not completely true? Are you having a laugh?

Ferrari have fixed more races than I can remember....this is the team that tried to stage a friggin' dead heat for God sake.

As for discrediting Barrichello, I don't have to. His insipid, lifeless and mediocre perfomances this year speak louder than I ever could. He's Coulthard in a better car.

crappycraperson

"Resident cricket authority"
Scout
Yeah ferrai has fixed some races but I don think they ever let barri have a charity win or something. If there is a chance schumi could win , they let him take it.

I think the backlash after the race when barri let schumi through shook them a bit.
After that they let barri win in a similar fashion when MS pulled out at finish line for him. But MS id still there no.1.
I am not saying Barri is one of the best, he clearly isnt. But IMO his latest win wasnt coz MS let him.