The F1 2004 Season thread.

Keane16

Redcafe Minister for Guinness Therapy
Jeffchin said:
So, how do you guys summarise this season in general? And what do you expect from next season?
I'll tell you Monday for sure, but I've never been so disppointed with so many people.

Jeffchin said:
Poll : Should K16 and Melv become an F1 racer? If yes, who's the better driver? :D
Melv should I reckon.

MelvinYeo

I'm only here for the post count
Jeffchin said:
So, how do you guys summarise this season in general? And what do you expect from next season?

Poll : Should K16 and Melv become an F1 racer? If yes, who's the better driver? :D
So far I would reckon that this season has been utter crap, with a few bright spots here and there, but not enough.

Next season should be more of the same, unless McLaren buck up, they're the only potential challengers to Ferrari bar BAR.

All could change by Monday morning tho if Brazil turns out to be a cracker.

And I am shite at F1 sims, so probably Keane16

Dave_B

Roy Keane's garage looking after his 'manager of t
MelvinYeo said:
So far I would reckon that this season has been utter crap, with a few bright spots here and there, but not enough.
This season ant bin that bad.....shuddup moaning

Next season should be more of the same, unless McLaren buck up, they're the only potential challengers to Ferrari bar BAR
What about Renault? There up there surely

MelvinYeo

Mini Giggs said:
This season ant bin that bad.....shuddup moaning

What about Renault? There up there surely
Not that bad?

Comeon, most races it has beena Ferrari redwash and they were unstoppable, the rest just played catch up than anything else.

Renault gone a step backwards with their change back to the more orthodox engine rather than the wide angled one, which had a lowerplacing or something that allowed Renault to have its advantage in 03, the handling.

And Keane 16, yeah its a brilliant corner to drive throguh, more often than not I drive too fast into the next corner and go off the road and into the run off

Keane16

Go on record for this weekend.

I predict Rubens or Alonso to win.

Mick to retire, Button to come second again and a podium for Webber.

The corner after Ferradura is tough becuase it's braking and turning together - very tricky on a computer.

MelvinYeo

Keane16 said:
Go on record for this weekend.

I predict Rubens or Alonso to win.

Mick to retire, Button to come second again and a podium for Webber.

The corner after Ferradura is tough becuase it's braking and turning together - very tricky on a computer.
Ralf to win, both Ferraris retiring(when did that last happen?) and Button second with Kimi tucked in behind

Yeah it is, the twisty infields tough overall. The corner before the turn which leads onto the main straight is great as well, can take it flat out if you get the turn in angle correctly.

pjaya

well, to reply jeffchin's question earlier, F1 will probably last 2 or 3 years more before more team will pull out from it.

anyway enjoy it while it last.

crappycraperson

"Resident cricket authority"
Scout
I don know about more teams pulling out, surely Mclaren and williams must catch up with ferrari at some point of time

MelvinYeo

Funny, SChumacher crashed at Ferradura:

Ferrari's Michael Schumacher escaped a heavy crash during practice for the Brazilian Grand Prix on Saturday.

The German lost control on bumps on the entry to Interlagos' Ferra Dura turn and slammed backwards into a barrier.

The car caught fire after the impact, while Schumacher remained inside, but he climbed out apparently unhurt after marshals extinguished the flames.

Schumacher set the second fastest time in the session, 0.123 seconds behind Ferrari team-mate Rubens Barrichello.

Practice times in full
Schumacher's crash happened just two minutes before the end of the session and severely damaged the rear of hid car.

If Ferrari has to replace an engine for qualifying, Schumacher will be penalised 10 spots on the starting grid.

Barrichello set a lap of one minute 10.229 seconds, with the McLarens close behind.

Kimi Raikkonen was third, just ahead of team-mate David Coulthard.

Jenson Button was fifth fastest in his BAR-Honda, ahead of Renault's Fernando Alonso and Ralf Schumacher's Williams.

The first four cars were separated by less than 0.2secs, suggesting that the fight for pole position when qualifying gets under way at 1700 BST might be a close one.

And the first 11 cars were covered by less than a second.

BAR's Takuma Sato, the Jaguar of Mark Webber and Felipe Massa's Sauber rounded out the top10, with Juan Pablo Montoya's Williams next.

MelvinYeo

Hes great.

feck, qualfying delayed by 2 hrs here

pjaya

below is the agreed rules for 2005 and 2006, which I absolutely hates it.
ffs, could not understand the reasoning for reducing the speed by making smaller engine capacity.

F1 suppose to be the showcase of automobile technology advancement but now it's more like a farces.

2005 (to come into force on March 1, 2005)

Bodywork
Changes to the bodywork (aerodynamics) to raise the front wing, bring the rear wing forward, reduce the diffuser height and cut back the bodywork in front of the rear wheels.

Reason: it is estimated that these changes will result in the loss of 20% or more downforce with minimal loss of drag.

Tyres
One set of tyres must complete qualifying and the race.

Reason: a harder tyre will reduce cornering speeds.:wenger:

Engines
Each engine must last for two complete Events:wenger: (how the feck they'll managed that? - locking the car for whole 2 weeks?)

Reason: a two-race engine will give less power than a one-race engine.

2006 (to come into force 1 January 2006)

Engines
The introduction of a 2.4 litre V8 engine together with a number of restrictions concerning design and permitted materials.

Reason: reducing capacity is a sure way to reduce power , while technical restrictions will limit the rate of power increase. It is estimated that power will drop to about 700 bhp compared to the 1000 bhp that existing engines will reach by 2006.

In order not to prejudice the smaller independent teams the existing 3.0 litre V10 engines may continue to be used in 2006 and 2007, subject to a restriction on revs to be determined by the FIA.

Reason: having reduced engine power, we need an inexpensive but competitive engine for the smaller independent teams, including newcomers. A rev-limited 3 litre can be adjusted to be competitive with factory 2.4 litre units, but will be far less costly

oh well, the end of F1?

Keane16

Looks messy to me. Some good rules, some bad. Reducing downforce is good, the bodywork changes will have the engineers earn their dough for a while, then it'll be back to the same old thing.

No mention there of refuelling. IMO, along with the modern method of qualifying, this is the single biggest problem with modern F1. It needs to be got rid.

Tyres need to be slick - don't see the point in having to make one set last more or less an entire weekend...other than cost, which the tyre companies burden anyway.

They'll probably develop some kind of engine seal, which is the norm in many forms of racing, to stop engine tampering between races....it's still messy though. I think the engine durability rule is good enough at the moment and didn't need to be changed.

Looks like Jordan have bagged a Toyota engine for next year on foot of these regulations though, so at least some good will come from that one.

MelvinYeo

Didn't even bother to watch it.

Seemed like an uninteresting race bar the rain.

Resolver

I slapped my girlfriend, and now I feel kinda bad.
2004 Drivers Championship

1 Michael Schumacher German Ferrari 148
2 Rubens Barrichello Brazilian Ferrari 114
3 Jenson Button British BAR-Honda 85
4 Fernando Alonso Spanish Renault 59
5 Juan Pablo Montoya Colombian Williams-BMW 58
6 Jarno Trulli Italian Renault 46
7 Kimi Räikkönen Finnish McLaren-Mercedes 45
8 Takuma Sato Japanese BAR-Honda 34
9 Ralf Schumacher German Williams-BMW 24
10 David Coulthard British McLaren-Mercedes 24
11 Giancarlo Fisichella Italian Sauber-Petronas 22
12 Felipe Massa Brazilian Sauber-Petronas 12
13 Mark Webber Australian Jaguar-Cosworth 7
14 Olivier Panis French Toyota 6
15 Antonio Pizzonia Brazilian Williams-BMW 6
16 Christian Klien Austrian Jaguar-Cosworth 3
17 Cristiano da Matta Brazilian Toyota 3
18 Nick Heidfeld German Jordan-Ford 3
19 Timo Glock German Jordan-Ford 2
20 Zsolt Baumgartner Hungarian Minardi-Cosworth 1

2004 Constructors Championship
1 Ferrari 262
2 BAR-Honda 119
3 Renault 105
4 Williams-BMW 88
5 McLaren-Mercedes 69
6 Sauber-Petronas 34
7 Jaguar-Cosworth 10
8 Toyota 9
9 Jordan-Ford 5
10 Minardi-Cosworth 1

MelvinYeo

Resolver said:
A McLaren 1-2, and schumi not even on the podium. beats anything if you ask me. ;)
Juankers not McLaren yet.

And Kimi is going to beat him next year as wel

Dave_B

Roy Keane's garage looking after his 'manager of t
Resolver said:
2004 Constructors Championship
1 Ferrari 262
2 BAR-Honda 119
3 Renault 105
4 Williams-BMW 88
5 McLaren-Mercedes 69
6 Sauber-Petronas 34
7 Jaguar-Cosworth 10
8 Toyota 9
9 Jordan-Ford 5
10 Minardi-Cosworth 1
Its gonna be interesting next year....McClaren's garage is gonna be half way down the pit strait which int a good thing from there point of view with Renault and BAR in front.

Jordan they have gone down the shit pan and Minardi have always bin there, just the 1 point again.

MelvinYeo

Keane16 said:
as well as what?
As make him moan as to how crap his car is blahblahblah

And to put things into perspective of how well BAR has done, they would have gotten the championship 10 years ago.

miley_bob

Good for BAR, but that was witht he old points system, so chances are that with their results going on the old point system, that they wouldnt have got it 10 years ago.

MelvinYeo

miley_bob said:
Good for BAR, but that was witht he old points system, so chances are that with their results going on the old point system, that they wouldnt have got it 10 years ago.
Yep, totally forgot about the points system

:o

miley_bob

Then thres all the qualifying differences, and the fact tat thre were 2 more races this saeson, tan 10 years ago.

Its actually become very difficult to make a decent comparison due to all the changes that ave taken place. And next season, its gonna b evn worse.