The F1 Thread 2009 Season

vanthaman

Winner
anyone see the BBC F1 advert? i thought it was just gonna be a generic advert, then suddenly The Chain kicks in and it says BBC F1 i thought it was awesome, just hearing the riff

x42bn6

Bringing back 10-6-4-3-2-1 would have made more sense.

10-8-6-5-4-3-2-1 was brought in to break Schumacher's domination. Now he's gone and it's close to a 3-way scrap, a scoring system which rewards winners more heavily but does not penalise podiums (which aren't necessarily bad).

While the last scoring system allowed 2nd placed drivers to drive along nice and easy, it's way better than seeing the season essentially end halfway through, or which is more likely, end around two-thirds the way through.

I mean, the last season was decided on the final turn of the final lap of the final race of the season.

Rooney1987

McLaren shows better pace at Jerez

By Matt Beer Wednesday, March 18th 2009, 16:47 GMT

McLaren's difficult pre-season build-up took an encouraging turn in today's Jerez test, as Heikki Kovalainen got down to a time of 1m18.202s on the team's penultimate day of running before Melbourne.

The Woking squad had lapped in the 1m19s bracket for the previous two days, and had struggled to match the pace set by Brawn and Renault, both of whom finished testing yesterday.

But McLaren's aerodynamic modifications appeared to take effect today, as Kovalainen produced a time within four tenths of a second of Jenson Button's benchmark from Tuesday.

Williams was the only other team still running at Jerez. Kazuki Nakajima completed 103 laps with a best time of 1m20.023s, 1.8 seconds off Kovalainen.

http://www.autosport.com/news/report.php/id/73769

This is good to see from McLaren 1 second improvement in a day

B Cantona

Desperate
Bringing back 10-6-4-3-2-1 would have made more sense.

10-8-6-5-4-3-2-1 was brought in to break Schumacher's domination. Now he's gone and it's close to a 3-way scrap, a scoring system which rewards winners more heavily but does not penalise podiums (which aren't necessarily bad).

While the last scoring system allowed 2nd placed drivers to drive along nice and easy, it's way better than seeing the season essentially end halfway through, or which is more likely, end around two-thirds the way through.

I mean, the last season was decided on the final turn of the final lap of the final race of the season.
The idea of altering the whole system because of one driver was always fatally flawed. I didn't mind the scoring system entirely - 7th and 8th places should score points when there are 20 cars on the grid. Gives the bottom teams something realistic to aim for, making for exciting racing right through. But I didn't like that winning was worth only 2 more points than 2nd. So I'm with them, it needed to be altered

The most frustrating thing? FOTA had come up with the perfect system. Just a little tweak, so the winner took 12 points, 2nd place took 9, and so on as normal. Cracking, and supposedly they'd tested it with the public who were all for it. But they've rejected that, and gone with this ridiculous system instead :nono:

Contravenes the Golden rule of sports tabulation. If I look at a table of standings, the guy with the most points should be the leader, and the guy with the least points should be last. We don't have that anymore. The guy listed 2nd in points, i.e performed less well over the season than another driver, could be leading the Championship. Buffoonery. It won't last long

poisson

broken record, best ignored.
BREAKING NEWS - Teams challenge F1 scoring system

Formula 1's teams claim the new scoring system introduced earlier this week is not valid and cannot be used in 2009.

They argue that the changes, which stipulate that the driver with most wins will become world champion, did not meet the necessary regulations.

F1's governing body, the FIA, announced it was amending the scoring system in order to make racing more exciting.

But the Formula One Teams Association (Fota) said it "unanimously agreed to question the validity" of the decision.

"It is too late for FIA to impose a change for the 2009 season that has not obtained the unanimous agreement of all the competitors properly entered into the 2009 Formula 1 Championship," read a Fota statement, issued on Friday.

More to follow.
http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/motorsport/formula_one/7955790.stm

Interesting to see what the FIA make of this. Will they turn back on their initial decision?

Rooney1987

FIA ready to postpone new points system

By Jonathan Noble Friday, March 20th 2009, 17:44 GMT

The FIA has said it will defer the introduction of a new points system in Formula 1 until 2010 if teams are unhappy about it.

The Formula One Teams' Association (FOTA) issued a statement on Friday questioning the validity of the rule change which will see the world championship handed to the driver with the most wins.

FOTA believes that the rules could not be changed at this late stage without unanimous support of the teams.

The FIA has responded to FOTA's claims, suggesting that its World Motor Sport Council that voted for the changes earlier this week was under the impression that the teams had supported the 'winner takes all' proposal put forward by Bernie Ecclestone.

In light of complaints from leading figures, the FIA has now said that if the teams are unhappy then the introduction of the wins systems will be delayed until 2010.

The statement said: "On 17 March, the FIA World Motor Sport Council unanimously rejected FOTA's proposed amendment to the points system for the Formula One Drivers' Championship. The ‘winner takes all' proposal made by the commercial rights holder (who had been told that the teams were in favour) was then approved.

"If, for any reason, the Formula One teams do not now agree with the new system, its implementation will be deferred until 2010."

http://www.autosport.com/news/report.php/id/73810

B Cantona

Desperate
You know it really wouldn't surprise me if this wasn't just one big stunt to get peoples attention in the first place...

That's almost what I'd like to believe anyway. The idea that the people running the sport could so easily ruin it by bringing in daft and stupid measures doesn't sit too well. Especially given they've done it in the past. Qualifying fuel credits anyone?

GloryHunter07

So the new scoring system (now deferred) how do they decide who is 2nd, 3rd etc in the championship? Points still? Or the person to come 2nd the most times?

lynchie

Places 2-20 would be decided on points scored.
So essentially it's possible that on the result of the last race someone could end the championship first or 10th. Stupid system, hope it's properly scrapped in time for next year.

ZIDANE

Supports
The Philosophy.
Nothing. They tried to implement the new rule changes and did so. However, to implement a change so late, it needs the full backing of the teams. It didn't. The teams appealed and it has now been deferred until next season (or another system is made).

I don't see what's wrong with the other suggestion of 3 points between 1st and 2nd but they rejected that straight away.

GloryHunter07

Nothing. They tried to implement the new rule changes and did so. However, to implement a change so late, it needs the full backing of the teams. It didn't. The teams appealed and it has now been deferred until next season (or another system is made).

I don't see what's wrong with the other suggestion of 3 points between 1st and 2nd but they rejected that straight away.
Yeah seems like a decent idea, or even 4 pts?

Anderson Searl

Reserve Team Player
It's funny... in an equal season, someone could win the first 3 or 4 races and sit the rest of the year, and probably win the title.

Silly silly sily rule, cannot believe it's even considered... basically slaps consistancy in the face.

B Cantona

Desperate
Watching first Thursday practice now. Blimey these cars look odd! Not particularly beautiful either... still if it makes for more exicting racing - and they're saying it takes half the performance advantage it did last season to overtake another car - I'm all for that

Brawn GP cars have been cleared to race incidently

Trigg

aka Trippin_Stoned
What's the UK time of Sunday's race?
Race: 0600-0900, BBC One/BBC Red Button/Radio 5 Live/online
Interactive Forum: 0900-1000, BBC Red Button/online
Race re-run: 1300-1500, BBC One/BBC Red Button/online
Highlights: 1900-2000, BBC Three/BBC Red Button/online

JezChan

What's the opinion of the F1 in Melbourne? Personally, I think it's going down the shitter, with hardly any Melburnians caring about it and this year, the F1 is pretty much relying on The Who for people to actually turn up.

Won't be surprised of Melbourne loses the F1 in a few years.

Dave89

Race: 0600-0900, BBC One/BBC Red Button/Radio 5 Live/online
Interactive Forum: 0900-1000, BBC Red Button/online
Race re-run: 1300-1500, BBC One/BBC Red Button/online
Highlights: 1900-2000, BBC Three/BBC Red Button/online
Thanks. That sounds perfect, given that I'm in work at 9.30!

Skelter

Internet GYPO
Button was out of a job a few months back, now he's favourite, crazy!

horselesspaul

Man Utd fan
It's Manchester United, United or Man United.
Watching the practice on iPlayer.
I don't want to be watching drivers struggling to control cars due to half-baked rule changes thanks Bernie. I want to watch motor racing, not your personal cock-out fiefdom.
As for the BBC coverage, I miss Brundle, and Fleetwood Mac can fuq off.

Skelter

Internet GYPO
Jake Humphrey is hosting it, how does he get all these gigs?!

RedSky

Shepherd’s Delight
Scout
Aye Brundle will commentate Qually and Race as normal. It's just practice sessions that he won't be on.

Can't wait personally, very excited to see how this season pans out. Sure is going to be exciting. Also 3 more teams have signed up for next year, as long as no one drops out thats 26 cars!

bazalini

The Baz Man - He made us laugh 2000 - 2012
As I expected Brawn will be bringing a major sponsor on Board in Australia - Virgin.

Fair play to them. No way were FOCA going to refuse their rear wing. Expect the likes of Williams, Brawn & Toyota to move backwards in a fortnight.

My Tip for weekend is Kimi.

BTW anyone who liked James Allen - He has a good blog going here. http://www.jamesallenonf1.com/ He was always a good journalist before his ITV career and in fairness anyone who was going to step into the Shows of Murray Walker was going to have it tough.

Rooney1987

I just saw preview of the opening titles video with The Chain music I really can't wait for this.

I agree I think Kimi will win race I also think he will win the title.

Leg-End

The Eurosport guys on the MotoGP are great, gutted that I don't have that channel this year.

The BBC have done a good job so far, I like the fact we have the radio commentary for free practice this season, last season we had just an unrealiable stream with no commentary at all, plus the fact Brundle likes to watch the cars out on the track at various points in Friday practice which only adds to his insight come Saturday and Sunday.

Im getting up for the quali.

FreakyJim

90% of teams play better football than us
there's something fishy about all of it, how come Brawn are fastest having done next to feck all work on their new car which looks like something made out of pieces of wood?

I'm guessing the interpretation of the new rules will give them a couple of wins before the big teams catch up
or FIA will just let them use their old car for a while until they find a sponsor

Leg-End

Get in there Jenson!

You have to realise FreakJim that this Brawn car was designed in January 2008, they basically wrote off 2008 to develop this car, there is nothing fishy about except they got the new FIA regs spot on. I think reliability permitting Brawn will walk the race tomorrow, their car with fuel is simply faster than everyone else by quite a margin.

Branson swearing, what and oppurtunist fecker :lol:

Leg-End

Yeah the coverage was great. I like Legard, he got off to a good start pronouncing it Formula lun, and then himself and Brundle kept talking over each other BUT thats expected first time out, its already a million times better than ITV.

Q2 was amazing, I have never seen anything like it, Alonso went P1 only to be about P11 in about 30 seconds, super competitive. I think the Brawn car is too good for the rest with fuel for now but over 1 lap they all look like they could go top.