The F1 Thread 2011 Season

F-Red

Awful livery, the red spoils it. Petty squabbles over team names is something F1 could do without tbh.

F-Red

Nothing announced today is a major surprised, but very welcome. Overtaking should be very interesting next season, especially given the talk of Vettel as someone who struggles to overtake. I'm pretty sure Lewis Hamilton has a chubby at the thought of overtaking being made easier. Steps in the right direction.

Still with team orders there is a huge grey area:

any fraudulent conduct or any act prejudicial to the interests of any competition, or to the interests of motorsport generally
I can see that causing a lot of discussion/controversy in the season & i'd put an easy bet on it that Ferrari will be the first under the spotlight. Only down to the structure of the team with Massa as the fluffer for Alonso.

Rado_N

Yaaas Broncos!
I may be wrong but isn't that line you quoted from rule 151C, F-Red? The much publicised 'disrepute' rule under which McLaren were hammered for 'spy-gate'* and Lewis in 'lie-gate'*?

*cringe.

it's about time they got rid of that stupid rule, it's a team sport at the end of the day.

F-Red

Yep thats the one, they're keeping 151C intact & just removing a ban on team orders. So i guess its just a case of doing any team decisions in the least obvious way possible.

Rado_N

Yaaas Broncos!
Yep thats the one, they're keeping 151C intact & just removing a ban on team orders. So i guess its just a case of doing any team decisions in the least obvious way possible.
Aye, the team orders rule is gone, rightfully imo, but 151C still allows them to randomly crack down some someone in the true spirit of F1 randomness :lol:

Leg-End

I think that rule is mainly reserved for incidents such as Piquet's phantom crash than simply a team mate letting another by, as long as its not done at a silly time such as 12 rounds into a championship and on the last lap.

F-Red

Aye, the team orders rule is gone, rightfully imo, but 151C still allows them to randomly crack down some someone in the true spirit of F1 randomness :lol:
I think 151C just gives them the flexibility to ensure we don't see a debacle of Austria 2002 all over again, but allows team orders to operate in a race. I'd but huge money on Ferrari fecking that up royally :lol:

B Cantona

Desperate
I don't mind that the team orders rule has gone, but we need to remember why it was brought in in the first place. We were being treated to unnecessary carve ups, and it was ruining racing as a spectacle

Rado_N

Yaaas Broncos!
Ferrari president Luca di Montezemolo fired the opening shots last night in what could become a long and gruelling war to decide the future of Formula 1.

Full story: The Times (requires subscription)

Di Montezemolo used the occasion of a pre-Christmas media lunch to do a spot of muscle-flexing on Thursday. The 63 year-old may have been nursing a temperature of 39C but the old charmer was in his usual charismatic form, likening Formula One to "a prison" and making it abundantly clear that unless teams receive a greater share of the spoils and a greater say in how the sport is run post-2012 they will set up their own series.
taken from the BBC F1 gossip section.

There's been talk of a break away series that many times that you have to think it's just a bargaining position, but it would be interesting.

20solskjaer

taken from the BBC F1 gossip section.

There's been talk of a break away series that many times that you have to think it's just a bargaining position, but it would be interesting.
It would end up like indy car and champ car did in the US, if the vast majority of the big boys (ie mcclaren, ferrari and red bull) supported it and left f1 then the viewers would go too, along with the money, f1 would probably end up folding after 10 years or something, just couldnt see both existing and thriving side by side

B Cantona

Desperate
We've had all this before, when F1 was relatively in the doldrums. It aint at the moment, so they'll be little appetite for this. Especially having recently brought in such radical rule changes. Nothing will become of this, presumably just a bit of bartering for a bigger slice of the pie?

mariachi-19

I may be the devil, but i'm not a monster
If anybody thinks Montezemelo is seriously considering this, you're gravely mistaken. He's a stupid old fool who's just looking to grab some attention. He also doesn't like the fact the man that he sacked is now head of the FIA.

Speak of Todt, I thought he's done a really good job. He's stayed out of most of the political bullshit unlike Max. People don't realize that the FIA is much bigger then F1 and he's done a really good job not only keeping order in F1, but WRC as well.

Rado_N

Yaaas Broncos!
I've been looking over at the P-F1 forum to see if there's any interesting off-season gossip, and it seems there's been a lot of speculation over recent weeks that Legard will be gone for the new season, not least because Brundle cant stand to work with him any longer. I've not liked Legard at all since he first took over in the role, in fact he managed to do the unthinkable and make me miss James Allen, so I'll be delighted if this is true.

In the last day or so, though, the rumour mill has been peddling Coulthard as his replacement, which I don't think would work to be honest. I was never a fan of DC as a driver but I've really like his punditry role, he often shoots Jordan down too which is always good. I'm also not sure two ex drivers would work. It originated at crash.net though so hopefully that one won't be true.

Many at P-F1 are calling for Croft to be given the main commentators role, or even Edwards or Cox. I'd be happy for Croft to get it, he does a good job for 5 Live, as long as he can adapt to TV from radio which is something Legard hasn't managed.

So, who would you guys like to see get the job?

Rado_N

Yaaas Broncos!
He does and I like him too, but as with DC I don't think two ex-drivers would work. Ant seems to play the same role as Brundle in that he's the 'expert voice' that the main commentator refers to periodically. If Ant moved to the TV then either he or Brundle would have to take the role of the main commentary, which I think is better left to an actual commentator, like Crofty.

Ubik

Nothing happens until something moves!
Should be Croft. Really hope Legard is being replaced.

mariachi-19

I may be the devil, but i'm not a monster
DC will never get it because he's not the alpha commentator so to speak. Walker, Allen and now Legard are there because they dominate the box. Martin Brundle is only there to offer a technical analysis from a drivers standpoint. You can't put another drone like DC in who would bore the shit out of most fans. You need a voice that grabs the attention of the viewer. At the moment I wouldn't even mind Allen back in, simply because he actually has a clue about the sport unlike Legard who seems to learn it on the fly. That doesn't mean Allen is not biased of course but he gets the little things right.

Leg-End

DC will just keeping going on about Red Bull and never actually saying anything meaningful about them as long as he is still paid by them. Anyway like you said all sports need a main commentator with an expert opinion, the expert provides insight that the main commentator that has media background can't.

We all saw how bad Brundle was when he was made to anchor the ITV show once, its not his natural position and when I'm watching F1 I want Brundle to be free to say what he likes. Get rid of Legard and bring in someone that knows how to commentate on TV, Crofty would be a gamble but one worth taking because after all he has done commentary for TV in other series. Ben Edwards is alright but nothing special, Charlie Cox if you want a more relaxed jokey vibe but who can also provide exciting commentary (MotoGP Catalunya 2009 for example).

Ideally it's Brundle and someone else, I think its likely we might see DC join as a third commentator but not actually be any good at it.

F-Red

Crofty is the easiest choice out of the lot, much better than James Allen as a commentary character. Does plenty of other TV commentary as well for the BBC.

Leg-End

I wonder about Ted Kravitz. He was sort of being lined up for the job, much like James Allen was with the pit lane reporting.
You have to think he would be in the frame, I don't mind him but who knows if he would be any good.

Rado_N

Yaaas Broncos!
It's just rumour, but there seems to be a lot of talk about it. Not that that means anything of course. Although there were plenty of times during the season where it sounded clear as day that Brundle was frustrated with him during commentary.

gormless

I wouldn't even mind James Allen back. I didn't mind the bias, and he obviously knows about the sport and is passionate. Anything to get rid of Legard. Though the most important thing is that Brundle is still there, he's excellent.

Ole's_toe_poke

Ole_Aged_Slow_Poke
I wouldn't even mind James Allen back. I didn't mind the bias, and he obviously knows about the sport and is passionate.
feck that. James Allen is a tool. I never want the guy coming anywhere near commentating again.

Legard is many things. He's not THAT!

Ole's_toe_poke

Ole_Aged_Slow_Poke
Ground effect's coming back, awesome!

If overtaking was to improve, there needed to be something radical done to the tech regs, hopefully this is it. 2013 could be fun.
We'll see. 3 years ago 2010 was suppose to be a "radical" change. Ultimately the teams have their best interests at heart and so will keep negotiating until the new rules become pointless. Also the engineers are incredibly adept at recovering downforce.

Rado_N

Yaaas Broncos!
Seems Ferrari haven't taken defeat in the Championship well. Chris Dyer looks to be being scapegoated with Pat Fry taking over his job and Chris' role being 'redefined'. Shame, I always liked Dyer, he seemed a decent bloke and I have fond memories of his radio transmission telling Raikkonen he was WDC.

Neil Martin has joined also joined Ferrari and will head up the Operations Research department. Formerly of Red Bull and before that McLaren. He will report directly to Aldo Costa, as will Pat Fry.

Domenicali has also said he considered resigning from his position after the tactical error which screwed Alonso in Abu Dhabi, but after reflection decided it would be a mistake to leave the team.

Also, sad to read that Raikkonen's father passed away a few days before Christmas, horrible time of year to lose somebody. He was only 56 too. Kimi is said to be considering his career, with all plans on hold.

phelans shorts

I was really baffled for a minute, before I realised it said Pat Fry and not Barry Fry, now that would be an interesting signing!

Trust Ferrari to be bad losers eh, I mean it's not like they are still going on about a legitamate title win 3 years ago is it? Oh wait...

Sad to hear about Kimi's dad, although that said considering his career is a weird thing to do, unless he deems motor racing too dangerous and doesn't want to risk another loss to the family? Taking a sabbatical is understandable, he surely can't stop racing, it's what he's born to do!

Rado_N

Yaaas Broncos!
Whats the bet Dyer is Schumachers race engineer by season start.
Will likely depend on what they mean by 'redefine', they could just 'promote' him within Ferrari and out of the race team, in which case he may stay with them. If they do properly screw him over though I certainly wouldn't bet against him teaming up with Schumacher, any team would surely want him on board.

I was really baffled for a minute, before I realised it said Pat Fry and not Barry Fry, now that would be an interesting signing!

Trust Ferrari to be bad losers eh, I mean it's not like they are still going on about a legitamate title win 3 years ago is it? Oh wait...
I assume you're talking about 08? What are they still going on about?

Sad to hear about Kimi's dad, although that said considering his career is a weird thing to do, unless he deems motor racing too dangerous and doesn't want to risk another loss to the family? Taking a sabbatical is understandable, he surely can't stop racing, it's what he's born to do!
All it said it what I read was that he was considering his career and all plans were on hold, I hope he carries on, even though he's never coming back to F1 :(

Rooney1987

More on the commentator story I was looking on the Mceachran story scroll down in this Liam Brady-esque Josh McEachran possesses a left foot to die for | Richard Williams | Football | The Guardian

BBC veers off-balance as Brundle ousts Legard
The news that Martin Brundle will be replacing Jonathan Legard as the BBC's Formula One commentator this season, with David Coulthard apparently poised to slip into Brundle's former role of summariser, is a victory for chatroom agitators and a blow to those who would like to see the corporation maintaining a proper balance between former sportsmen and professional journalists in the commentary box.

Brundle is an excellent analyst, if sometimes a little too inclined to impose a monopoly of wisdom at the expense of genuine dialogue, but it is questionable whether he should ever have been employed by the BBC, given his long-standing commercial relationship with Coulthard and other drivers. And it will be interesting to see whether Reithian values now require the Scot to cut his links with Red Bull, lucratively maintained since he retired from the Formula One cockpit. Conflicts of interest may be a way of life in Bernie Ecclestone's little fiefdom, but that does not mean the BBC has to join in.

For me, the much-discussed issue of a lack of "chemistry" between Legard and Brundle was largely down to a lack of tonal contrast between their respective voices. Not something that was ever a problem with Murray Walker and James Hunt.