The F1 Thread 2011 Season

Leg-End

I think its more down to Legard just being pretty terrible at commentating, his pieces to camera before the race were interesting enough but when it came down to live reactions he often missed it, missed overtakes and very rarely struck up a natural sounding conversation with Brundle.

I think half his trouble was he was trying to look at timing screens when he should just let Brundle take care of that.

Rado_N

Yaaas Broncos!
I really hope that we don't end up with two drivers in the commentary box, we need a pro commentator doing the bulk with Brundle carrying on as he is.

Leg-End

If its Coulthard then that possibly going to make me listen to 5 Live coverage at the expense of Brundle.

Rado_N

Yaaas Broncos!
Surprised to read Hamilton saying issues in his personal life affected his performance last season. Reading between the lines somewhat in the BBC article it sounds like the decision for his father to no longer act as his manager may not have been as amicable as first thought, but that might be wide of the mark.

Any thoughts from his fans who probably pay closer attention than me?

Rooney1987

Seems like Lewis has taken some advice from Rio talking like 15 years old chav on twitter its annoying.

Yeah I heard this he did a music special on Radio 1 over New Year. Im surprised aswell I didnt look like it affected him that much I thought was pretty damn good in a car that wasnt good as the Ferrari and RB. It might be a problem not having his dad around who knows I think it might be I mean your dads been there since day 1 and dont forget Ron Denise leaving like 2 father figures leaving within a year.

B Cantona

Desperate
Surprised to read Hamilton saying issues in his personal life affected his performance last season. Reading between the lines somewhat in the BBC article it sounds like the decision for his father to no longer act as his manager may not have been as amicable as first thought, but that might be wide of the mark.

Any thoughts from his fans who probably pay closer attention than me?
I thought it was first though that it was anything but amicable? The fact he didn't attend at all at first all but confirmed that

No excuse anyway, he was leading the championship into the latter end of the season, well after all of that. He just fecked up a couple of races not finishing due to individual error and that was him done

Rado_N

Yaaas Broncos!
I thought it was first though that it was anything but amicable? The fact he didn't attend at all at first all but confirmed that

No excuse anyway, he was leading the championship into the latter end of the season, well after all of that. He just fecked up a couple of races not finishing due to individual error and that was him done
Really? I bow to your knowledge on that one, all I really remember was the announcement that he would no longer be acting as his manager and it seemed that Anthony would be giving more time to his remaining clients and Lewis would take on another manager so as to have a distinction between work and his private life. Like I alluded to in the first post, I took it all at face value and fully expect his fans to know more about it than I do.

Ubik

Nothing happens until something moves!
We'll see. 3 years ago 2010 was suppose to be a "radical" change. Ultimately the teams have their best interests at heart and so will keep negotiating until the new rules become pointless. Also the engineers are incredibly adept at recovering downforce.
Yeah, but this time they're actually giving them a brand new (well, for the last 3 or so decades anyway) area to create downforce with.

vanthaman

Winner
i dont understand this

The grid
From 2011, any driver whose best qualifying lap exceeds 107% of the fastest Q1 qualifying time will not be allowed to take part in the race. Under exceptional circumstances, however, which may include setting a suitable lap time in a free practice session, the stewards may permit the car to start the race. Should there be more than one driver accepted in this manner, the grid order will be determined by the stewards.

Rado_N

Yaaas Broncos!
Which bit don't you get?

If you're too slow in quali you don't race, basically. It's because of the larger numbers involved and the danger of excessively slow cars. Look at the Webber loop-the-loop crash last season for what can happen when a much faster car closes in on a slower one quicker than anticipated.

Leg-End

Last season we had 3 new teams, I doubt they are as slow in their second season.

Leg-End

This is just rumour and at this point very old news but over at the Autosport forums (im a lurker on there) the sacking of Pat Fry seems to have stemmed from racist remarks towards Lewis Hamilton found his phone that was lost. It would certainly explain why he was allowed to join Ferrari mid-season as if he was sacked then gardening leave wouldn't be an option like it usually is for team members that switch teams mid year.

Leg-End

Legard has left the building, sources say he is now on a charge up the hill, Extraordinary!

Leg-End

Not sure about that either but atleast we know Brundle and Coulthard will be able to strike up proper discussions in the lulls in action. I have no doubts that Brundle will handle the main role and in fact it might change the way commentary has been since the years Murray left.

Rooney1987

That is true just not a big fan on DC but I will give it a listen cant be any worse then Legard. I do hope they get Davidson more involved other then just 5 mins on the F1 forum.

Leg-End

Well if DC is carrying on with his DTM duties, chances are Davidson might join Brundle now and again.

Marching

Somehow still supports Leeds
My ticket for the Monaco Grand Prix arrived today :D

Rooney1987

Thats gonna be some trip post some pics of it when you go.

Im going to Berlin in July im gonna see if I can get tickets to the Nürburgring I know its far but might try get down there.

Rado_N

Yaaas Broncos!
The news that Leggard has gone is pleasing, although I still don't like the idea of two drivers in the box. It also explains Jake's tweet from earlier:

"So many questions about the changes to our F1 coverage...my blog will soon go online giving you my opinion on what's happened..."

Oh and Marching; sod off! :p

Rado_N

Yaaas Broncos!
I'm going to try and reserve judgement on this, but I'm not holding out a great deal of hope.

Rado_N

Yaaas Broncos!
Ah crap, more Eddie Jordan? They're doing their best to minimise the gain of getting rid of Leggard!

B Cantona

Desperate
Delighted on the HD

Also happy to see Legard gone. I'll reserve judgement on having two formers drivers and no professional commentator in the booth. That said, the two former drivers they have are probably the most interesting and knowledgeable for a TV audience going

Count Duckula

David Coulthard is neither interesting nor knowledgeable. He's an insufferable twat, whose only experience at commentating so far was when they cut to him back in the McLaren studio for that one race and he froze like a rabbit in headlights.

This will be a disaster. A disaster where the only words he utters are things like "I love Red Bull" and "Red Bull are the best team ever".

Leg-End

Well he is knowledgeable, he drove for top teams for 14 years after all. He's not in front of camera in the commentary box either and I think he showed on the gridwalks with Brundle that he can have interesting conversations. It will be great to have a "current" driver join and "old school" driver and their different opinions on issues but I do agree that he needs to cut the Red Bull bullshit if he wants to be a success.

Rado_N

Yaaas Broncos!
David Coulthard is neither interesting nor knowledgeable. He's an insufferable twat, whose only experience at commentating so far was when they cut to him back in the McLaren studio for that one race and he froze like a rabbit in headlights.

This will be a disaster. A disaster where the only words he utters are things like "I love Red Bull" and "Red Bull are the best team ever".
That's clearly nonsense, he's extremely knowledgeable.

I never liked him as a driver but I've actually not minded him in his pundit role. That might be due to the fact that he puts EJ down a lot, but still I've enjoyed the part he plays in the show. My only concern with him in the box is having no pro commentator and two drivers, I'm also not sure how well Brundle will do the main commentary role. Time will tell I guess.

Leg-End

I think Brundle will take a few races to adjust but this is a guy who has won awards for his coverage, he will adapt. One of the things I have always liked about Brundle's commentary is when something important happens he knows how to react to it, exciting without being over the top.

gormless

Brundle's fairly excellent though I think he's best as a co commentator where he can can be the calm one, whilst the main commentator gets excited and yells. Brundle is a brilliant analyst, which he won't be able to do now he's the main commentator. They seem to have two people to do Brundles job in the commentary box now. Glad Coulthard will be a pundit as well as he works well with Eddie Jordan, and even if they are a bit annoying, they're amazing to whoever the hell ITV had. Tony Jardine or some other form of human beige.