No. 27 — Nico Hulkenberg

SCUDERIA TORO ROSSO
No. 38 — Max Verstappen

TBA Carlos Sainz Junior

SAUBER
No. 9 — Marcus Ericsson
No. 40 — Felipe Nasr

THE REST
For Marussia and Caterham, the big question is if they’ll even make it to the 2015 grid, never mind who will be piloting their cars.

Marussia will get a big chunk of television money by dint of Jules Bianchi’s ninth-place finish at Monaco, the two points ensuring they finished ahead of both Caterham and Sauber in the race to avoid F1’s wooden spoon.

Last edited:

pauldyson1uk

Full line up for Abu Dhabi testing.

Red Bull: Tuesday: Carlos Sainz; Wednesday: Daniel Ricciardo.

Mercedes: Tuesday: Nico Rosberg; Wednesday: Pascal Wehrlein.

Ferrari: Tuesday: Kimi Raikkonen; Wednesday: Raffaele Marciello.

Lotus: Tuesday: Charles Pic; Wednesday: Esteban Ocon.

McLaren: Tuesday and Wednesday: Stoffel Vandoorne.

Force India: Tuesday: Jolyon Palmer; Wednesday: Spike Goddard.

Sauber: Tuesday and Wednesday: Marcus Ericsson.

Toro Rosso: Tuesday and Wednesday: Max Verstappen.

Williams: Tuesday: Valtteri Bottas; Wednesday: Felipe Nasr.

Caterham: Tuesday and Wednesday: Will Stevens.

pauldyson1uk

The McLaren-Honda made its eagerly awaited public debut on the first day of the Abu Dhabi test, but completed minimal running at the Yas Marina Circuit due to unreliability.

Stoffel Vandoorne was forced to abandon the MP4-29H on the side of the track on his second run due to what McLaren-Honda described as 'a fuel/data exchange issue' as the new partnership ran into inevitable teething problems and completed just three laps in total.

Nevertheless, despite the limited running, McLaren reported they made 'lots of progress' as they start to get to grips with the returning Japanese manufacturer's brand-new power unit.

"This test is an opportunity for us to build up that operational strength; to get McLaren and Honda working together under the same roof," Racing Director Eric Boullier said.

Dargonk

Ninja Scout
Scout
Not sounding great from Honda so far. Really hope that they can put together a competative engine. I don't want a situation like this season, where basically only one of the engines were good enough to actually compete properly for the title.

Skills

Snitch
How come vettel has legged it from Red Bull after winning WCs in 4 of his 6 seasons with them? Haven't really.been following in too much detail in the last few years.

kotha

How come vettel has legged it from Red Bull after winning WCs in 4 of his 6 seasons with them? Haven't really.been following in too much detail in the last few years.
He's always admitted to being a big Schumi fan.. So I guess a chance to do what Schumi did to Ferrari was too tempting for him..

MajorTom

new McLean/ Honda MP4-29H/1X1
Really like the look of that, especially from that angle. Hope Button is announced a part of their driver line-up for next year. I know Magnussen is only young but he hasn't show a great deal of race pace throughout the year, had a decent start but tailed off rapidly and Button outscored and out-raced him by a great margin.

Sassy Colin

Death or the gladioli!
Aliens are in control of my tagline & location
I wish they'd go back to the old orange and white for the McLaren Honda.
That would be red & white wouldn't it?

I don't think they can without a lawsuit from Phillip Morris.
Not if it was orange, red maybe, but not orange.

Anyway, how come Lotus gets to use John Player Special livery when tobacco advertising is banned?

Leg-End

They are throwback liveries, Williams did it a while back too.

Marching

Somehow still supports Leeds
Anyone got plans to get to a GP in 2015? I've just realised I have friends in Abu Dhabi & Oman so might make it out there.

Also might be useful to share any info re best tracks/stands/seats, travel etc.

Count Orduck

I've only ever been to one GP (Montreal in the year Hamilton and Button did a 1-2 in the McLarens, 2010 I think) but it was amazing. I've been told though that Canada is one of the better races to attend.

matherto

ask me about our 50% off sale!
Any of the older tracks are probably better.

Monaco is special despite the actual racing.

Ubik

Nothing happens until something moves!
I hope McLaren go orange. I'd like to think they will, given the silver/chrome is thought of as Merc-related. New start and all. Still not heard anything on the new title sponsor...

Predicting a Hamilton double for this year. Bold.

Marching

Somehow still supports Leeds
Any of the older tracks are probably better.

Monaco is special despite the actual racing.
Did Monaco in 2011 and would recommend going at least once. Being in Abu Dhabi must be a great place to be to see the champion crowned and with a mate working in nearby Oman I might make it out there in 2015.

Leg-End

I go to Silverstone a fair bit, BTCC, F1 Testing etc. I went to quali and the race in 2007 and watching Hamilton take pole at the death was pretty special.........the race was dull.

For the costs though I wouldn't recommend it, not for Formula 1 anyway. The track is too flat so you basically get a couple corners viewing if you are lucky and the rest you see on the screens if you happen to be situated close to one. For the cost of it I bet you could go to an abroad race and have a mini holiday out of it, pot luck if you get decent Silverstone weather anyway. Nice to do it once, I wouldn't do it again.

Dargonk

Ninja Scout
Scout
Good to hear. Double points was just stupid and never should have been given the green light in the first place.

pauldyson1uk

Nico Hulkenberg will compete in the Le Mans 24 Hours for Porsche in 2015 alongside contesting the full Formula One season with Force India.

The 27-year-old German, who will also contest the six-hour World Endurance Championship race at Spa as preparation for his Le Mans bow, said the desire to compete in both disciplines had been too alluring to turn down.

"Porsche and Le Mans - this combination probably attracts every race driver," said Hulkenberg of the twice-round the clock race, which in 2015 takes place on June 13-14, the weekend in between the Canadian and Austrian Grands Prix.

"I've been a Porsche fan for a long time and have been watching their return to the LMP1 class closely. The desire grew to drive that car at Le Mans."

Hulkenberg also thanked Force India for allowing him to race at Le Mans, adding: "I am very pleased the 2015 Formula One calendar allows for it and I'm grateful to my Sahara Force India Formula One Team's generosity to let me go for it.

"Now it's up to me to work hard to satisfy both commitments."

pauldyson1uk

Scuderia Toro Rosso have announced that Carlos Sainz Junior will partner Max Verstappen in an all-new 2015 driver line-up.

The Spaniard, who recently became the youngest ever winner of the World Series by Renault title, replaces Jean-Eric Vergne who announced his departure from the Italian team earlier this week.

Amir

With Alonso and Magnussen expected to get the seats at McLaren I think it leaves just Caterham, if they make it at all.

pauldyson1uk

Rule changes for next season.

The FIA has confirmed it will scrap the controversial double points finale to the F1 season as part of a raft of rule changes approved at the World Motor Sport Council meeting in Doha.

The decision to award double points in Abu Dhabi this year provoked outrage among F1 fans and, while it did not influence the championship outcome, has been dispensed with after just one season.

Following successful trials after practice sessions in 2014, a Virtual Safety Car will be introduced next year. “It will normally be used when double-waved yellow flags are needed on any section of track and competitors or officials may be in danger, but the circumstances are not such as to warrant use of the Safety Car itself,” the FIA confirmed.

In another new procedure, the Safety Car will now pit once the last lapped car has passed, rather than waiting for lapped cars to catch the pack.

Following a Safety Car period the races will resume with a normal rolling start behind the leader after the standing starts proposal was rescinded.

A 10-second stop/go penalty, which can be served before a pitstop is carried out, will be introduced in 2015 after a similar five-second stop/go penalty worked successfully this year.

The replacement of an entire power unit will no longer result in a pitlane start in 2015, instead penalties will be applied cumulatively for individual components of the power unit.

Grid penalties for power unit components will no longer carry over to the following race if the entire penalty cannot be served. Time penalties will be introduced instead, running on a sliding scale depending on the number of penalty places still to be served.

The minimum weight of the 2015 cars will also be increased slightly to 702kg without fuel, up from 701kg in 2014.

The FIA has also made revisions to the requirements to obtain a Super Licence which will take affect from 2016. The changes will mean drivers must be aged 18 or over and have completed at least two years in junior formulae.

Leg-End

All fairly positive changes I think, especially the lapped cars/SC thing, it was a pain waiting for them to catch back up.

kotha

Is the 21 race calender for 2015 confirmed or is still under discussion?