The F1 Thread 2015 Season

Leg-End

Nobody is stopping them from using those colour schemes, fact is livery design has been on the downslide for a while now, sponsors involvement is at an all time low and there is a lack of colour on the grid.

Leg-End

I think the idea is fine but they've literally just banned everything. A drivers helmet should remain the same base colour throughout the season in my opinion, if they want to change little things throughout dependant on venues, life, whatever then fine.

Fantasy F1 Details

pauldyson1uk

OK I have set up a Fantasy League here, http://www.fantasy-f1-league.com/
The name is Redcafe 2015 Season password is f12015.

Not got my head round it yet , but looks pretty decent.

However I have notice this , so may not last or even start the season.

Warning I have become aware that a few other Fantasy F1 sites have been forced to close due to the FIA threatening legal action. It appears that they will not tolerate "fan sites" unless they pay a licensing fee to use their 'Intellectual Property' such as driver names, images etc. As this site is free to play and and no profit is made I am not in a position to pay the FIA its licensing fee and so in the event that I am threatened with any action I will be forced to close the site. If you want to play and be guaranteed the whole of the 2015 season then I recommend you find a site that you have to pay to play as I suspect they will be paying the FIA's fees. However, the site will run as it has done for several years until (and if) I get threatened.

Last edited:

RedFish

The name is Redcafe 2015 Season password is F12015.

Warning I have become aware that a few other Fantasy F1 sites have been forced to close due to the FIA threatening legal action. It appears that they will not tolerate "fan sites" unless they pay a licensing fee to use their 'Intellectual Property' such as driver names, images etc. As this site is free to play and and no profit is made I am not in a position to pay the FIA its licensing fee and so in the event that I am threatened with any action I will be forced to close the site. If you want to play and be guaranteed the whole of the 2015 season then I recommend you find a site that you have to pay to play as I suspect they will be paying the FIA's fees. However, the site will run as it has done for several years until (and if) I get threatened.
Joined! Looking fwd to this.

btw: password has to be in lowercase ( f12015 ) :)

pauldyson1uk

A full explanation of McLaren's early withdrawal from Yasuhisa Arai, Honda R&D senior managing officer:

"We had to stop running this morning after discovering a faulty seal on the MGU-K. That faulty part then caused an issue that requires full replacement of the power-unit - and the time needed to make those changes effectively ends today's programme.

"We'll need to run a re-designed component to avoid a potential repeat of the problem. Unfortunately, we won't be in possession of that updated part until Saturday, which means that we may face the same problem when we run again tomorrow.

"Such issues are all part of testing, but we'll make the best changes we can overnight, and will plan for a productive day of running - with Fernando behind the wheel - tomorrow.

"Hopefully, with a bespoke solution ready for Saturday, both drivers will have an opportunity to get some useful laps under their belts, with Jenson driving on Saturday, and Fernando concluding the test on Sunday."

pauldyson1uk

Barcelona Day One Timesheet at 12pm (GMT) - lunch break

1. Nasr, Sauber, 1:27.307, 56 laps;
2. Ricciardo, Red Bull, 1:27.363, 18 laps;
3. Maldonado, Lotus, 1:27.510, 48 laps;
4. Verstappen, Toro Rosso, 1:27.951, 35 laps;
5. Raikkonen, Ferrari, 1:28.064, 29 laps;
6. Button, McLaren, 1:28.182, 21 laps;
7. Wehrlein, Force India, 1:28.329, 32 laps;
8. Wehrlein, Mercedes, 1:29.286, 6 laps;
9. Wolff, Williams, 1:29.400, 77 laps;
10. Hamilton, Mercedes, 1:30.429, 11 laps.

An unwell Lewis Hamilton forced to end his running after just 11 laps due to a fever. Reserve driver Pascal Wehrlein takes over despite Nico Rosberg being on site

The Taurean

looks like a chipmunk
Nothing is so common as the wish to be remarkable.

Add a threadmark to this for future reference.

pauldyson1uk

Susie Wolff and Felipe Nasr make contact at Turn Five.
Both stricken cars are now clear of the gravel bed and being taken back to their respective teams.The session is now underway - although I doubt we'll see that crumpled Sauber for quite some time, if even today at all.
Williams have just told us that Susie Wolff was on an outlap and going slowly, thus Nasr has swept around Turn Four and tried to get ahead of her before Turn Five leading to the pair making contact. Wolff is unhurt and doesn't think that it was her fault. Williams will now assess the damage in the hope of getting back out again this afternoon.

Leg-End

Different temps, different tyres, better engines and presumably better aero/mechanical grip so you would expect them to be quicker this year. Being quicker than a pole time doesn't really prove much, Pirelli's tyre have such a strange window of performance they can go 1 second fast or slower based on a miniscule temperature change. It probably does prove that the Ferrari is probably not a complete dog, other than that its way too early to care about times.

MajorTom

I'll join up tomorrow. Top man for sorting one out again!

pauldyson1uk

Fernando Alonso has been taken to hospital after crashing out in testing at Barcelona.

The Spaniard was completing his 21st lap of the day in the MP4-30 when the accident happened at Turn Four on the fourth and final day of the test at the Circuit de Catalunya.

The two-time world champion has been airlifted to hospital after being taken from the crash site to the circuit’s medical centre in an ambulance.

Authorities at the circuit have described Alonso as ‘ok and conscious’.

Although McLaren are yet to formally comment on the crash, team boss Eric Boullier has told Sky Sports that the decision to airlift their driver to hospital was 'precuationary'.

Leg-End

Very strange incident it seems, he didn't exactly "crash", he just turned off the circuit to the inside and then hit the wall. Great news that he's ok and conscious but until we hear the actual cause then I'm a tad worried, it doesn't seem normal for a man of Alonso's experience to just do that.

carlosp

The week's fastest laps:

Romain Grosjean, Lotus, 1:24.067, Supersofts, Day Four
Nico Rosberg, Mercedes, 1:24.321, Mercedes, Mediums, Day Four
Pastor Maldonado, Lotus, 1:24.348, Supersofts, Day Three
Daniel Ricciardo, Red Bull, 1:24.574, Softs, Day Two
Kimi Raikkonen, Ferrari, 1:24.584, Softs, Day Two
Felipe Massa, Williams, 1:24.672, Softs, Day Two
Sergio Perez, Force India, 1:24.702, Supersofts, Day Two, 2014 car
Max Verstappen, Toro Rosso, 1:24.739, Supersofts, Day Three
Lewis Hamilton, Mercedes, 1:24.923, Mediums, Day Two
Daniil Kvyat, Red Bull, 1:24.941, Softs, Day Four

pauldyson1uk

Fernando Alonso will stay in hospital overnight following a heavy crash in testing at Barcelona.

Although Alonso has been given the all-clear after scans, McLaren have confirmed their driver will stay in hospital overnight for 'observation' after being concussed during the impact.

The Spaniard was completing his 21st lap of the day in the MP4-30 when the accident happened at Turn Four on the fourth and final day of the test at the Circuit de Catalunya.

The two-time world champion was airlifted to hospital after being taken from the crash site to the circuit’s medical centre in an ambulance.

Ubik

Nothing happens until something moves!
McLaren (Honda) having a preseason to forget. Minor miracle if the cars finish the first few races at this stage. Don't know why Merc were the only competent engine developers this time round.

Alonso thing sounds very strange, pulled 30g on impact to get the concussion so lets hope he gets the all clear later, but baffled as to how it happened in the first place. Steering failure? Other theories about electric shocks and toxic fumes going around but they seem far fetched to say the least.

Leg-End

I'm guessing we have to wait until Alonso is well again before we really know what happened, McLaren clearly don't want to tell the fans anything.

Ole's_toe_poke

Ole_Aged_Slow_Poke
McLaren are having a terrible preseason. Yet their team and drivers talk as if they have the best car ever made.

A bit of bluffing? Or maybe they know something we don't?

The talk from the two tests seems to be that Merc will be comfortably ahead come Melbourne with possibly Ferrari now taking up the "best of the rest" role.

Leg-End

McLaren always say they have a good car, they love to talk about "unlocking potential" and "ability to develop", they were towing that line in 2009 when they had an absolute dog of a car in pre-season (and they did make it a race winner eventially). Until they actually get that Honda PU working correctly and reliably they can't truly know where they stand but I'd imagine the drivers have a fair idea of where they stand on basic pace, Button can compare it to last years dissapointing car and Alonso against Ferrari's dissapointment. Button said they could be in the hunt for wins later in the season and he's usually not one to talk like that, he's quite open when the car is shit. (but it should be said they have a new hookup with Honda, its in their interests to big it up)

pauldyson1uk

Force India have finally released an image of their 2015 car, with the team expecting the VJM08 to run for the first time at Barcelona on Friday.

Of the nine teams confirmed as competing in the new season, Force India are the only one yet to test their all-new challenger with a combination of issues with suppliers and a switch to a new wind tunnel resulting in a delayed launch of the car.

The team opted to miss the first test at Jerez entirely and then ran with their 2014 car in last week's Barcelona sessions, completing 304 laps of the Circuit de Catalunya as they evaluated Pirelli's 2015 tyres.

Ahead of the final pre-season test which begins at Barcelona on Thursday, Force India have now released the first image of the VJM08 and confirmed the car will arrive in Spain on the second day of running.The VJM08 will arrive in Barcelona on Friday morning and the final set up will take place in the garage at the track," Force India's chief operating officer Otmar Szafnauer said.

"We are aiming to get out on Friday and the new car will run as much as possible over the weekend."

Forced to deny speculation in recent weeks that their participation in next month’s season-opening Australian GP could be in doubt, Szafnauer adds that team’s engineers have been flat-out working on the VJM08 at their Silverstone base.

"It has progressed well over the last few days and the car has now been fired up at the factory. That’s always the key moment when the car truly comes to life," he said.

"We have seen a tremendous effort from every department over the last few months to get us to this stage and we’re looking forward to seeing the car take to the track later this week."

Although the team unveiled their newly "aggressive" livery for 2015 back in January, the first rendered image of the VJM08 reveals a shorter nose design than seen before. Force India are once again powered by Mercedes engines in 2015 and will field drivers Nico Hulkenberg and Sergio Perez.

pauldyson1uk

McLaren’s Fernando Alonso will miss this week's final pre-season test at Barcelona as he rests at home after his accident at the circuit on Sunday.
McLaren have confirmed that Fernando Alonso will miss the final pre-season test at Barcelona, with Kevin Magnussen set to replace the Spaniard

The Spaniard was airlifted to General Hospital de Catalunya after suffering concussion when his MP4-30 left the circuit at Turn Three and made side-on impact with the wall on the inside of the corner. Although scans confirmed the 33-year-old had been uninjured in the accident, Alonso spent the following three nights convalescing in hospital before being released on Wednesday afternoon
With the third and final pre-season test following hot on the heels of the last one, McLaren confirmed in a statement that Alonso would return to his family home in Spain to continue his recovery, with reserve driver Kevin Magnussen to take his place in the MP4-30 at Barcelona. Jenson Button will drive on the first day, with the full four-day running order to be confirmed in due course.

"Following his testing accident at the Circuit de Barcelona-Catalunya last Sunday, we are pleased to confirm that Fernando Alonso has now left hospital. He has returned to his family’s home in Spain for further rest and recuperation," McLaren said.

"As a result, he will sit out this week’s final winter test, at which he was due to share driving duties with Jenson Button. Kevin Magnussen, McLaren-Honda’s test and reserve driver, will replace him."

Speaking on his departure from the hospital, Alonso's manager Luis Garcia Abad told Sky Sports News HQ: "He wants to drive – even today – but we have to take care of him because he needs to rest. The doctors said he needs to recover and this is the most important thing for us."

Although Magnussen, as the man who made way for the returning Alonso in the team's race line-up, has up-to-date F1 experience, the loss of the two-time world champion for the critical final test undoubtedly represents another setback for a McLaren team who have already endured a difficult first winter back in partnership with Honda. The new MP4-30 has completed less than half the mileage of every other 2015 car, with the team’s cumulative 927km over 3,000km less than world champions Mercedes.

Alonso, who has returned to McLaren for this season after five years at Ferrari, will now head into next month's Australian GP with just 117 laps under his belt this winter, although that is still 30 more than team-mate Button as things stand.

Rado_N

Yaaas Broncos!
I agree it is very odd, not seen the crash, but was it really that bad? In hospital for 3 days and out for the last pre season test, sounds a lot more than what is being made out.
I've not seen it either but from what I've heard even the incident was bizarre, he apparently just kind of turned off the circuit.