The F1 Thread 2015 Season

Leg-End

It's a shame, I really hope he is OK long term because some of the stuff just doesn't add up. I read a story yesterday that said when he woke up he still thought he drove for Ferrari, short term amnesia but I don't know how true that is.

On the plus side for him the likelyhood of a McLaren even finishing the race is slim anyway so he's not going to lose valuable ground, I don't think McLaren managed to put a race stint together all pre-season.

pauldyson1uk

I think there is way more to this than is being told to everybody, they are blaming a gust of wind FFS.
3 weeks from shunt to 1st race of the season , should be plenty to recover from concussion.

Count Orduck

It's all PR to cover for the fact that he refuses to drive such a shit car and there's been a massive row behind the scenes, I reckon.

Ubik

Nothing happens until something moves!
Alonso's the most respected driver on the grid, he's not going to refuse to race because the car's a bit shit. And Ron certainly wouldn't cover for him if he did. The car being shit and with no hope of winning the title however does give them a little extra leeway for ensuring full recovery.

Giggsy92

I don't think there's anything surprising about him missing a race, that was sort of expected wasn't it? But the accident itself still seems weird to me, might be one of those things where we never know the whole story.

F-Red

Insurance is probably preventing him from driving, concussions aren't as cut and shut as people think. 600 watts of electricity didn't help matters either.

pauldyson1uk

Breaking News on Sky is that Manor-Marussia will be running at the Australian GP.

The former Marussia team, now known as Manor Marussia, have named Englishman Will Stevens as their first race driver for the new season.

Manor, who went out of business as Marussia in October but have now come out of administration, say they intend to take part in the first race.

A statement said that the car they will use is "an advanced state of build".

Their 2014 car, modified to comply with new safety regulations for 2015.

New rules for this season have rendered 2014 cars illegal this year.

Manor initially believed they had permission to use their 2014 car for a limited period at the start of the season before switching to a new car.

But they have been told by governing body the FIA that if they are to be allowed to race they must modify their old car to meet the the new rules, with no exceptions.

This means the front bulkhead - the top of the front of the chassis - must meet the new rules, which demand it is 5cm lower than last year.

And the nose cone must be modified to meet new dimensional rules - including a new impact test - aimed at outlawing the 'anteater' noses that proliferated last year.

Last edited:

pauldyson1uk

Pirelli reveal tyre choices for first four races

Formula One racing's official tyre suppliers Pirelli have confirmed the tyre compounds that will be available for the first four Grands Prix of the 2015 season.

As was the case last year, teams will use the yellow-marked soft and white-marked medium compounds in the Australian season-opener, and again in Bahrain and China. For Malaysia, they will be provided with the medium and orange-marked hard compounds - the hardest selection available.

Pirelli said the allocations reflected likely loads and degradation at each circuit, while also taking into account a new rear construction "designed to distribute forces and temperatures more evenly".

The 2015 season kicks off at Melbourne next weekend, with the opening free practice session commencing at 12.30 local time on Friday, 13 March.

At a glance - tyre compounds for 2015:
Australia - soft, medium
Malaysia - hard, medium
China - soft, medium
Bahrain - soft, medium

pauldyson1uk

F1 driver Fernando Alonso believed it was 1995 after suffering concussion after a crash in testing in Barcelona, it has been reported.

"I'm Fernando, I'm in karts and want to become Formula 1 driver," he told doctors who asked him who he was and what he remembered about the accident, according to Le Pais newspaper.

The Spaniard had apparently forgotten his Formula One debut with Minardi in 2001, becoming the youngest ever F1 Champion in 2005 and his second championship the following year.

He also told doctors he remembered nothing about the crash at the Circuit de Barcelona-Catalunya, which saw him lose control and hit a wall.

WOW now we know why he is not starting the first race of the season.

adexkola

Doesn't understand sportswashing.
The CL is a glorified FA Cup set to music
Supports
orderly disembarking on planes
F1 driver Fernando Alonso believed it was 1995 after suffering concussion after a crash in testing in Barcelona, it has been reported.

"I'm Fernando, I'm in karts and want to become Formula 1 driver," he told doctors who asked him who he was and what he remembered about the accident, according to Le Pais newspaper.

The Spaniard had apparently forgotten his Formula One debut with Minardi in 2001, becoming the youngest ever F1 Champion in 2005 and his second championship the following year.

He also told doctors he remembered nothing about the crash at the Circuit de Barcelona-Catalunya, which saw him lose control and hit a wall.

WOW now we know why he is not starting the first race of the season.
:lol: I'm a cnut for laughing. Is this a confirmed quote?

Leg-End

When he comes back I just hope he is the same Fernando Alonso, be a damn shame if he isn't ever quite the same again on track.

Dante

Average bang
At that age he's still got lots to learn. We need to give him a chance and see how he develops.

Rado_N

Yaaas Broncos!
Call me humourless but I really don't see the funny side of potentially serious head injuries.

Dante

Average bang
The potential WAS there. Now it seems to be completely under control and well-managed.

Tragedy + time = comedy

Dante

Average bang
Those quotes sound exactly like punchlines that have been used hundreds of times in TV shows and movies. The only thing missing is the doctor whacking him with a frying pan to reverse the effects.

Alonso is fine and all the suitable precautions are being taken. There's absolutely nothing there to be sentimental about.

I personally find the Celebrity Death Pool thread to be the most disgusting thing on this forum, but hey, what do I know? I find it funny when someone who's now fine made a surreal statement whilst punchdrunk.

pauldyson1uk

Those quotes sound exactly like punchlines that have been used hundreds of times in TV shows and movies. The only thing missing is the doctor whacking him with a frying pan to reverse the effects.

Alonso is fine and all the suitable precautions are being taken. There's absolutely nothing there to be sentimental about.

I personally find the Celebrity Death Pool thread to be the most disgusting thing on this forum, but hey, what do I know? I find it funny when someone who's now fine made a surreal statement whilst punchdrunk.
I can see you point , the Death Poll thread is in bad taste I agree.
Losing memory after a crash in not uncommon and usually temporary, I still think there is many question about the crash that have not been answered, and for them to blame a stray gust of wind is frankly pathetic.
Maybe there is a big question mark against the car and they dont want to admit it, I doubt we will ever know.

Rado_N

Yaaas Broncos!
An article on the BBC..
So he was doing about 134mph in the corner and decelerated considerably prior to impact.

That's obviously a high speed if you're thinking about a road car but a Formula 1 car? I'd have expected it to have been much higher to cause a concussion that severe.

Him braking at full force is also bizarre.

::sonny::

Alonso clealry won't drive again, if these stories are true

Last edited:

I can see you point , the Death Poll thread is in bad taste I agree.
Losing memory after a crash in not uncommon and usually temporary, I still think there is many question about the crash that have not been answered, and for them to blame a stray gust of wind is frankly pathetic.
Maybe there is a big question mark against the car and they dont want to admit it, I doubt we will ever know.
I think it has been an electric shock of 600 watt.

Ubik

No chance McLaren would have put someone back in the car if one of their drivers had been electrocuted in it, that seems to me an example of the internet rumour vortex at its worst.

No chance McLaren would have put someone back in the car if one of their drivers had been electrocuted in it, that seems to me an example of the internet rumour vortex at its worst.
It's the only realistic explaination

Ubik

It's the only realistic explaination
Given we don't know a great deal of facts about the incident itself, I'm not sure how you can come to that conclusion.

Count Orduck

Lads, you're only "electrocuted" if you die. Otherwise it's electric shock.

I'm hearing whispers on another forum that it's actually something very severe and Alonso might not ever drive again. Would be shocking if true, but it's probably just internet rumour-mongering.

Leg-End

Someone actually took the time to try and re-create the accident and provide a possible explanation. I doubt we will ever know what happened now but I thought it was semi interesting anyway.

carlosp

Lads, you're only "electrocuted" if you die. Otherwise it's electric shock.

I'm hearing whispers on another forum that it's actually something very severe and Alonso might not ever drive again. Would be shocking if true, but it's probably just internet rumour-mongering.
He is already preparing to return in Malaysia. Been running and sorts.

kotha

Isn't the FIA supposed to be investigating Alonso's crash?? Surely they would release their report with the findings,so we might find out what happened soon enough..

He is already preparing to return in Malaysia. Been running and sorts.
That's good to hear..

Ubik

The not injured yet in hospital thing has already been explained - he had no physical signs or injury or trauma in the MRI scans, but showed symptoms of a concussion including memory loss and back pain. When your job is to drive cars around race tracks at 200mph with a decent probability of heavily crashing, they aren't going to take any chances with a head injury. Particularly given the two recent serious injuries to Schumacher and Bianchi.

mu77

engines sounded sh1t last year and aren't any better this. last yr in montreal we were able to yell to a friend in the wrong grandstand during the race. yrs past he would have walked up and down looking for us. still love the race up there but thinking of fuc4ing it off this season. benz should walk it.

Adzzz

Astrophysical Genius - Hard for Grinner
Staff
Rather than an actual mental or physical problem, he may have just faced the startling realisation that it's all deadly, new car - by all acounts not the best car - maybe he pictured a certain other fantastic driver taking a corner back at Imola. Slammed the breaks, anything. The mind can play strange tricks even to the most experienced and fearless people.

Melbourne Coverage Details

Rado_N

Yaaas Broncos!
Melbourne Coverage

BBC

Qualifying - Extended Highlights, Saturday 14 March, 12:50 BBC One

Race - Live Sunday 15 March, 04:30 BBC Radio 5 live (action starts 05:00)
- Extended Highlights, Sunday 15 March, 13:15 BBC One

Sky

Practice 1 - Live Friday 13 March, 01:00, Sky Sports F1HD (action starts 01:30)

Practice 2 - Live Friday 13 March, 05:15, Sky Sports F1HD (action starts 05:30)

Practice 3 - Live Saturday 14 March, 02:45, Sky Sports F1HD (action starts 03:00)

Qualifying - Live Saturday 14 March, 05:00, Sky Sports F1HD (action starts 06:00)

Race - Live Sunday 15 March, 03:30, Sky Sports F1HD (action starts 05:00)