The Fallback Option - Luka Modric...

bosnian_red

Worst scout to ever exist
Why didn't we try to sign either of these two? If they are good enough for Madrid, surely they are good enough for us too?
Illarramendi cost Madrid around 38 million after the tax of paying the release clause or something like that. Not sure if that figures even in euro's, or if it's pounds. Ridiculously overpriced, despite him having a very good season.
Kondogbia I thought we were linked with, and I think he had like an 8 million buy out fee (or around that), not sure why we didn't go after him.

Drifter

American
So we're going to move from one unrealistic target to another , i'm sure Modric will be pleased that he is second choice player.

Fergie's Man

Suffers Snails fetish
So we're going to move from one unrealistic target to another , i'm sure Modric will be pleased that he is second choice player.
Assuming of course we have not already been talking to his agent? I am sure this seedy world of transfers has been busy this summer.

apotheosis

O'Fortuna
He has been mostly a second choice option for Madrid, so hardly a new experience for him. Let's not forget we were his second if not third choice when he was looking to move from Spurs. He wanted Chelsea first, before he moved to Madrid.

Times change, and so do priorities. He did far better in the PL than he has in La Liga. Maybe after a taste of being a bit part player for Madrid, he will now fancy another crack in the PL with us. If it's beneficial for both parties, then why not?

ItsEssexRob

Has a slight gambling problem
Supports
Chelsea
He would be a good signing for you, but not one to instill fear like Fabregas would have.

I know it may have been a change of league but he is not the same player he was for Spurs and only showed glimpses of talent at Madrid, ironically against United.

I see no reason why this target is unattainable for you.

Brightonian

I know it may have been a change of league but he is not the same player he was for Spurs and only showed glimpses of talent at Madrid, ironically against United.
He may have only really got going in the latter half of the season, but he showed far more than glimpses. He's no Fabregas, but he's not that far off, and I certainly don't think there's any evidence that he's 'not the same player he was for Spurs.' Possibly a slight case of sour grapes given that Chelsea were in for him two seasons running and missed out?

Godfather

He would be a good signing for you, but not one to instill fear like Fabregas would have.

I see no reason why this target is unattainable for you.

Acutally he was pretty damn good much more often than just against United. And he certainly is still the same player might just have needed some time to settle in. He would be as perfect a signing as Fabregas for us, but just even more unrealistic at this time imo.

ItsEssexRob

Has a slight gambling problem
Supports
Chelsea
Acutally he was pretty damn good much more often than just against United. And he certainly is still the same player might just have needed some time to settle in. He would be as perfect a signing as Fabregas for us, but just even more unrealistic at this time imo.

Why unrealistic? You dont have the barriers with him like you did with Fab about Arsenal and about being an integral part of the team. Hes not in the same class as Fabregas, but hes more than capable of doing a job.

manusteve

Basically, "give us more money and he's yours."
Agreed. Rarely does a club say a player is available. Anyway, if Real want to sell him to raise money, or be part of the Bale deal, Ancelotti will have no say at all. He's the coach at Real, not the one that pulls the strings.

Red Pavan

shittest username ever manutddabest791
We should just bid £30m on Modric as he would likely become available if and when Bale moves to Madrid, rather than wasting our time on Fabregas.

NotoriousISSY

$10mil and I fecked it up!
Surely they'd want Modric at Madrid to try and increase Bale's chances of instant settling seeing as he spent 4 or 5 seasons with Modric at Spurs.

This is a no-goer. You know sometimes when a club say a player isn't for sale, it is true you know!

BD

technologically challenged barbie doll
This signing always made more sense than the Fabregas one imo. Isco, Ozil, Illaramendi, Khedira and Alonso all play in his position. I'd love him here.

Goooose

That's me aboard the muppet train once again, one way ticket to Modric Town.

He's a class player, always liked him etc. Wouldn't mind seeing him at United, but I'm not sure about his mentality. Hopefully he wouldn't get bored at United as he'd play virtually every game.

RORY65

Carl

has permanently erect nipples
Never understood why he was considered to be a fall back option by some. Just 1 season in Madrid which hasn't gone well but the new manager just so happens to be a huge Modric fan and tried to buy him for a huge sum just 2 years ago.

He's staying.

Sixpence

Erroneously Promoted
A player of Modric's ability should never be a fallback option. He's top class, Prem proven, very likely available and at a decent price. What is Moyes waiting for?

binary bot
Never understood why he was considered to be a fall back option by some. Just 1 season in Madrid which hasn't gone well but the new manager just so happens to be a huge Modric fan and tried to buy him for a huge sum just 2 years ago.

He's staying.
Yeah; they haven't got much depth in that position either, and as we have learned there's few options to replace him so late in the window.

Brophs

The One and Only
He's a class player. He'd be great for us. He and Fellaini would give us a much more competitive midfield.

Scorpy

Absolutely crapping it and loving it!
Two high quality midfielders in one summer seems too good to be true. If Moyes really wants to get Fellaini and Modric, we'd need to start making some progress in the deals while there's still time left in the window. Their clubs will almost certainy demand more money with the end of the window approaching, as they won't have enough time to find suitable replacements. We don't want to overpay like we did with Berbatov 5 years ago.

Come on Woody, get it done!

LR7

Any muppets setting up camp in this thread must love disappointment.

Amir

Oh, enough. Can't we target someone realistic rather than going for an unlikely big name? And do it slowly, of course? This is getting pathetic.

Bojan11

Guardian saying we considering £25m bid for him. I'm tired of this considering nonsense. Just start bidding.

Raees

Pythagoras in Boots
He's started all of Madrid's pre-season games, not going to happen either i'm afraid.

Moriarty

Nate Dogg

Don't Make Me Angry
Guardian saying we considering £25m bid for him. I'm tired of this considering nonsense. Just start bidding.
Agree, there is no time to consider, prepare or even submit a below par offer.

If we want him we should make the call and enquire if he is for sale and then ask how much, simple?

jojojo

JoJoJoJoJoJoJo
Staff
Welcome to Manchester reception committee
If we'd placed a bid at the end of last season, allowed it to stew while Madrid were buying Isco and Illarramedi and sniffing around Bale then I think we'd have had a serious chance.

But now, with a good pre season behind him and a manager who is used to having him around?

I don't see it. Modric has no pressing reason to leave, Madrid have no pressing reason to sell unless we come in very high.

A move for Modric a week before the season starts makes no more sense than waiting for Thiago to be sold before bidding for Fabregas,

Ringo 07

Modric has stated he is going nowhere and Ancelotti has said he has big plans for Modric and modric has featured a good bit in reals preseason fixtures...I guess Moyes realizes that when we sign Cabaye or Fellaini then he can say he at least tried for bigger names