The Fallback Option - Luka Modric...

Kingcon

Yeah it looks good on paper but like Cesc I feel Modric has no desire to return to English Football. Our best chance to sign him was before he left for Madrid. Just like our best option to our midfield dilemma was to keep hold of a certain young Frenchmen...but that's a argument for another thread.

buckooo1978

Our next target for me

Lets get a cheeky 25 million bid in to test the waters

KiD MoYeS

Good Craig got his c'nuppins
Tomorrow's Times is leading with the story that United are preparing a £25 million bid for Modric having missed out on Fabregas.

Luka Modric ‘did not feature prominently on their shortlist at the start of the summer, but a lack of alternatives has forced them to reconsider‘.

Jaysus, been a bit of a disastrous transfer window.

Woodzy

We have a thing for £25m it seems. I'm sure it'll become a running joke on the cafe for many windows to come if we keep these bids up.

Not that I suspect there's any truth in this story.

Brightonian

Tomorrow's Times is leading with the story that United are preparing a £25 million bid for Modric having missed out on Fabregas.

Luka Modric ‘did not feature prominently on their shortlist at the start of the summer, but a lack of alternatives has forced them to reconsider‘.

According to the press.

Ringo 07

Would absolutely love Modric here but again Real wont sell as they'll need him to help bale settle as they obviously would be good mates already...modric like fabregas has repeatedly insisted that he is not leaving real this summer....more frustration...maybe we can offer them rooney for him!

Fergie's Man

Suffers Snails fetish

1+1=2 it seems. Probably no substance in it. They have no idea whether Modric featured in our shortlist or not.

However, I would take Modric in a heartbeat for that money. It is time that boy had a decent club.

askabob

We have a thing for £25m it seems. I'm sure it'll become a running joke on the cafe for many windows to come if we keep these bids up.

Not that I suspect there's any truth in this story.

Next up: United offer 25p for Ronaldo

Raees

Pythagoras in Boots
I'd be disappointed if we get Modric considering who we've been linked with.

Jesus how fecking spoiled am I?

Very spoilt, he'd be awesome for us... in fact I'd prefer him to Cesc. The only midfielder I'd want above Modric would be Gundogan.

Beachryan

More helpful with spreadsheets than Phurry
Ooo if Luka comes that'll clearly be the last bit of incentive needed to convince Scholes to join the training staff. Doesn't he have a mad man-crush on the lil Croatian?

Ole's_toe_poke

Ole_Aged_Slow_Poke

The press are just making shit up by moving from midfielder to midfielder.

marjen

Desperately wants to be like Noodle
This would be my dream signing, if we don't get Fabregas or Gündogan.

Obviously not going to happen.

bosnian_red

Worst scout to ever exist

Much more realistic than Fabregas, although still about 10 million short from what they'd consider a fair price I'd guess.

Dominos

James Ducker knows his shit. I'd be inclined to believe it.

Our Fabregas attempt has seemed rather meek to be honest, if it is indeed over... I mean, how easy did we think it was going to be? Put in a paltry opening bid, then raise it to a semi-acceptable amount and we expect Barca are just going to say - "alright then, he's yours"... Given how unlikely it seemed we'd be able to get him, I really thought we'd have something planned in regards to a tempting/irresistible offer to Barca or have Fabregas ask to leave if he indeed did want the move.. It's all been a rather pointless waste of time.

Ronaldo's Mum Eh?

Ronaldo is shite
Real would be more inclined to sell Alonso as Illaramendi is a like for like replacement. Also Alonso has previously stated he does not want to renew his contract.

Feed Me

I'm hungry
James Ducker knows his shit. I'd be inclined to believe it.

Our Fabregas attempt has seemed rather meek to be honest, if it is indeed over... I mean, how easy did we think it was going to be? Put in a paltry opening bid, then raise it to a semi-acceptable amount and we expect Barca are just going to say - "alright then, he's yours"... Given how unlikely it seemed we'd be able to get him, I really thought we'd have something planned in regards to a tempting/irresistible offer to Barca or have Fabregas ask to leave if he indeed did want the move.. It's all been a rather pointless waste of time.

This is my take on the Fabregas bid, and it's why I think we have been a bit amateurish. We've gone in and tried to do an already difficult deal without an understanding of the value of the player. Thing is, we appear to be skimping after having told the world and his dog that we've got shit loads of money.

Fergie's Man

Suffers Snails fetish
This is my take on the Fabregas bid, and it's why I think we have been a bit amateurish. We've gone in and tried to do an already difficult deal without an understanding of the value of the player. Thing is, we appear to be skimping after having told the world and his dog that we've got shit loads of money.
Good grief, utter nonsense.

What is wrong with people in here?

I am selling my motorcycle and recently I was given a ridiculously low offer for it by a dealer. Does this mean he had no idea how much my bike was worth or does it mean he was starting off with a cheeky offer? I think we all know the answer.

This feels more like a Storey post on the wind-up, not the post of a fan.

Amir

Or, we were looking for Barcelona's response. A firm 'no', or 'maybe we can talk about this'. People were looking for hints this deal was possible but maybe no meant no.

pauldyson1uk

I dont agree we have been amateurish, we must of been given some sort of signal from them to make the bids, you never go in straight away with you top bid.
If we are guilty of anything, was trying to get him on the cheap, there is no crime in trying that.
Plenty of teams have sold players that they have said are not for sale, nothing wrong with trying.

Member 39557

This was obviously going to be the next rumour, and if there's no news by the end of the week, it'll be back to fellaini and baines again.
I'm glad it's gone relatively quiet. This usually means things are happening :)

wonnie

Modric needs to happen. I honestly believe with him we could challenge for both the PL and CL this coming season. We have depth in just about all areas except CM. Sign Modric and a cheap-ish Carrick stand in and I really couldn't ask for more in terms of squad depth.

Il Prete Rosso

Prete, the Italian Pete
I dont agree we have been amateurish, we must of been given some sort of signal from them to make the bids, you never go in straight away with you top bid.
If we are guilty of anything, was trying to get him on the cheap, there is no crime in trying that.
Plenty of teams have sold players that they have said are not for sale, nothing wrong with trying.
Not a crime but rather naïve to think that Barcelona would actually sell Fabregas for 30 million. It may seem that he's not a 'star' player nor a guaranteed starter for them but he's obviously a huge part of their medium to long term plans. It's not like they can run out to the market and replace that kind of quality easily.

AngeloHenriquez

Supports
Stevenage
Not a crime but rather naïve to think that Barcelona would actually sell Fabregas for 30 million. It may seem that he's not a 'star' player nor a guaranteed starter for them but he's obviously a huge part of their medium to long term plans. It's not like they can run out to the market and replace that kind of quality easily.
Pretty naïve of you to assume you know what Manchester United think... If you have any more tips, do let me know.

Sarni

nice guy, unassuming, objective United fan.
Modric would be a great buy and he's a realistic target IMO, he hasn't performed all that well at Madrid and I always thought he was a surplus to requirement there. With Illarramendi and possibly Kondogbia coming in this transfer window as well as overburden of top class players in attacking midfield his position at the club won't get any stronger in the coming years, I reckon Madrid would sell at the right price.

Cina

I think people are going a little overboard here based on recent events with Fabregas. Modric is an excellent footballer and I'd love him here but Fabregas is most definitely the better footballer of the two and would improve us more than Modric would.

BD

technologically challenged barbie doll
Can't believe people wouldn't want Modric or would be underwhelmed by him. He's quality, and would improve us so much.

sammsky1

Pochettino's #1 fan
Modric would be a great buy and he's a realistic target IMO, he hasn't performed all that well at Madrid and I always thought he was a surplus to requirement there. With Illarramendi and possibly Kondogbia coming in this transfer window as well as overburden of top class players in attacking midfield his position at the club won't get any stronger in the coming years, I reckon Madrid would sell at the right price.
Why didn't we try to sign either of these two? If they are good enough for Madrid, surely they are good enough for us too?

Ringo 07

He will still be very important to Madrid no matter how many young players they buy...Madrid and Ancelotti are not exactly famous for playing young teams....Madrid will use him for a year or two until their younger signings are ready...and might never sell him at all!