The Fallback Option - Luka Modric...

humdinger

I think Modric could cope with being our 3rd choice buy but then play every week if he came here vs an alternative of being potentially Real Madrid's 5th choice (6th if they sign Vidal) midfielder and seriously risk not even making the bench.

KingEric7

Stupid Conspiracy Enthusiast Wanker
Would love to see us get Modric. Fabregas would be better, but Modric is certainly not a signing to be sniffed at.

Still, regardless of which one we get, we'd still be pretty shafted if Carrick got injured. That needs to be addressed.

wonnie

Why are some of you lot comparing Modric and Carrick :lol:

They play completely different roles in midfield. Of course Modric is world class and probably just a good an option as Fabregas is.

Carl

has permanently erect nipples
As with Fabregas he's a fantastic player whom I'd love to see at United but I don't think he's a realistic target this Summer.

Unless he's told in no uncertain terms that he's not wanted by Ancelotti (not likely given he was desperate to sign him at Chelsea) then I expect he'll give himself 1 more year to make a sucess of it.

SATA

I'm not sure why he would want to leave Madrid and come back to England after just a year. That said, i don't really rate Modric as many here do, but he's of course better than anyone in our midfield bar Carrick

Amir

They just got him. Doubt he's going anywhere.
I would normally agree with regarding to just about everyone else. Not Real Madrid, though.

I don't think Modric is a great player. But if Fabregas really is impossible, I don't think we can do better this summer. Not in terms of established players, anyway.

sammsky1

Pochettino's #1 fan
Why are some of you lot comparing Modric and Carrick :lol:

They play completely different roles in midfield. Of course Modric is world class and probably just a good an option as Fabregas is.
I'd be beyond delighted with either.

JaffyJoe

Provides RedCafe with shit Twitter news
I'm not sure why he would want to leave Madrid and come back to England after just a year. That said, i don't really rate Modric as many here do, but he's of course better than anyone in our midfield bar Carrick

Depends what we are looking for really. If you want a midfielder to make his mark on a game and take it over Fabregas has been the best we have been linked with, Thiago is unproven in that regard., Modric is a more subtle player but I have seen him take on a greater burden when playing with Croatia.

GlastonSpur

Also disliked on an Aston Villa forum
Supports
Spurs
Did him and Carrick ever play with each other at Tottenham, or did their careers not overlap there?
They never played together. Carrick was sold in summer '06 and Modric arrived 2 years later.

Rozay

Master of Hindsight
Modric is excellent tbf, and would be one of the best 'options'. I don't think current favourite Gundogan is necessarily better than him for example.

Raees

Pythagoras in Boots
How anyone can watch this video and not see Modric as a class player is beyond me.

Watched that earlier today but ran out of hands to post it in this thread. Dare I say it but there are very few midfielders in the world with that level of footwork and panache (Fabregas not being one of them).

Brightonian

His bodywork is just something else. His balance never stays still for even a second, constantly shifting this way and that. Defenders don't have a clue where to put themselves.

vuc

First Team Serb
Watched that earlier today but ran out of hands to post it in this thread. Dare I say it but there are very few midfielders in the world with that level of footwork and panache (Fabregas not being one of them).
Not too mention his passing creativity. There's something very Paul Scholes about his outside right flicks and passes. He's like a Xavi + Iniesta hybrid. Able to dictate like Xavi but has nimble footwork like Iniesta.

antohan

gets aroused by tagline boobs
Fallback option :lol: He needs to be available in the first place and he looks less available than Fabregas TBH.

Walrus

Oppressed White Male
I actually would prefer Modric to Fabregas (although either would be a fantastic signing).

Modric is more of a true, balanced CM whereas Fabregas is more of an AM for me. One of the reasons Modric has been underwhelming at Madrid is that he has been played in an attacking role which I don't think he is as well suited to as CM. Alongside Carrick it would be an excellent combo, but with Modric we also have the option of pushing him forward or playing him on the wing if required.

Siorac

I'd love Modric here but there seem to be zero noises about him leaving Madrid.

edn33

Sack Fergie, sell Giggs, sign Mourinho and help me
A great video on his crazy skills. Looks a little like Scholes in some ways......

Any idea how much he would cost to join Utd? I know we were interested in him before he joined Real.

Varun

Staff
That's a class vid. He's always been a top player. Its just that this is fab & thiago season so people will underrate everyone else.

Castia

He's a top player, I wanted us to get him last year but their was no chance with Levy. I think he's for sale (at the right price), Real have a lot of midfielders and would probably jump at the chance to recoup the money they spent on him.