The Final: Argentina vs France

Predict the winner

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

BorisManUtd

It’s one of those games where I look at it and think a South American team is due the World Cup, lighting won’t strike twice with France winning it, it’s written that Messi will win it etc.

But when I look at it as an actual football game that’s about to happen I just can’t see Argentina beating France.
Yeah, that would be nice after 20 years. 36 years after Argentina's last win as well.

awop

Odds winner of 'Odds or Evens 2022/2023'
Supports
Arsenal
It's strange but if it was England vs Argentina I'd still want Argentina to win for Messi.

The best ever player in my eyes, but I still think (again) France are too strong for Argentina.

I'm not really big on nationalism, of course if it was World War 3 I'd support England because of life or death though :lol:
Don't worry, there is plenty of french people hoping Messi wins today for various reasons. I'll never understand their position but to each his own.
Didn't see it posted but L'equipe's cover is really nice :

Fabio Rochemback

It's strange but if it was England vs Argentina I'd still want Argentina to win for Messi.

The best ever player in my eyes, but I still think (again) France are too strong for Argentina.

I'm not really big on nationalism, of course if it was World War 3 I'd support England because of life or death though :lol:
Yeah I'd have loved England to meet Argentina in the final because either outcome would have been great for me. I'd still have favoured Argentina, I'm a proud Englishman but have never really been overly invested in the national team for various reasons.

Ish

Lights on for Luke
Also anecdotally, the vast majority of people on my social media feeds who have been pushing this narrative of FIFA favoring Argentina are all Ronaldo Stans. So I'm sure there's no correlation there at all.
Yeah, it’s absurd that Argentina has somehow been “helped” ffs :lol:

Shai-Hulud

Hmm. I wanted to bet on France DNB but the illness news put me off. I'm still not sure I can trust that they're in 100% shape. Maybe I'll watch the first 5-10 minutes of the match before betting.

(...)

Supports
Arsenal
Come on Argentina. Football needs the iconic photo of Messi holding the WC trophy. The finish to a beautiful story.
But at the same time, if Mbappe wins it by scoring 2+ goals , football would instantly have a new talisman for the next 10 years.

kouroux

45k posts to finally achieve this tagline
Hmm. I wanted to bet on France DNB but the illness news put me off. I'm still not sure I can trust that they're in 100% shape. Maybe I'll watch the first 5-10 minutes of the match before betting.
Everyone should be available but it is what it is. fecking virus.
Edit: everyone is available

Pocho

Di María plays no Lisandro, as much as I love Licha I’m happy that Di María is starting. Sure Licha will come in later.

RedDevilRoshi

Gutted Licha Martinez isn’t starting even though he’s their best defender but it was expected.

antk

Quite the offensive lineup for Argentine? Are we expecting a 4-4-2?

amolbhatia50k

Sneaky bum time - Vaccination status: dozed off
Di María plays no Lisandro, as much as I love Licha I’m happy that Di María is starting. Sure Licha will come in later.
Surprised. Haven't Argentina been better when he hasn't played?

Santoryo

ripping the reward
I don't know why people are making out France to be invisible. They've looked poor against both England and Morocco. They aren't this unbeatable machine.

Oly Francis

Supports
PSG
Yeah but he's a big game player, has experience on the biggest stage and he has a good work rate which will come in handy on that wing v Mbappe.
True but that's also pretty risky considering the game time he had in the past few months.

Berbaclass

Fallen Muppet. Lest we never forget
I don't know why people are making out France to be invisible. They've looked poor against both England and Morocco. They aren't this unbeatable machine.
Upamecano back in the team is certainly not a plus for them based on that England game. Walking mistake

Buchan

has whacked the hammer to Roswell
I feel it’s a shrewd move by Scaloni getting Di Maria back in the side as I believe that Theo Hernandez left-back for France is rather suspect defensively and he won’t get much cover from Mbappe either.

Argentina can definitely do well down their right side, especially with Messi connecting with Di Maria’s and, to a lesser extent, De Paul’s and Molina’s forays forward.

Pink Moon

Supports
Celtic
I feel it’s a shrewd move by Scaloni getting Di Maria back in the side as I believe that Theo Hernandez left-back for France is rather suspect defensively and he won’t get much cover from Mbappe either.

Argentina can definitely do well down their right side, especially with Messi connecting with Di Maria’s and, to a lesser extent, De Paul’s and Molina’s forays forward.
True but that's also pretty risky considering the game time he had in the past few months.
I agree but I also agree with the above quote so I can see the logic behind Scaloni's decision.

diarm

Was thinking to myself there, if FIFA were smart, they would make a condition of awarding World Cup TV rights, that they control the half time advertising slots.

People talk about the Super Bowl halftime gig, but imagine companies could bid on a worldwide slot for this!

Jim Beam

Gets aroused by men in low socks
Hoping for Argentina win, but also absolutely have no idea why this France should be such favorite. The team hit with most injuries by far, possible virus, playing on the counter which means they will allow Argentina and Messi enough control to create chances, not so convincing during this WC..

I mean it is a 50/50 game and would even give slight advantage to Argentina based on their momentum and Messi's form.

SerendipityNow

Supports
Barcelona
Too offensive, this is a huge tactical mistake. Mbappe will wreak havoc down that side now.

antk

Everything is going to be decided on France's left side / Argentina's right. Messi / Di Maria vs Hernandez / Rabiot and Mbappé vs Everybody else there.

Although Tagliafico may suffer against Dembélé / Griezmann too.

TheNewEra

Knows Kroos' mentality
Romero AND Otamendi. Aïe caramba. They are in trouble.
I think anyone is in trouble vs Mbappes pace. Nobody in football can stop him if he gets started, not even Lisandro it'll be very very hard to stop him playing.

TheNewEra

Knows Kroos' mentality
Apparently in practice Deschamps was experimenting with Mbappe down the middle, and Thuram on the left so they are more defensive for Theo

(Just saw Giroud is a starter)