The Final: Argentina vs France

Predict the winner

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Sweet Square

I don't know why people are making out France to be invisible. They've looked poor against both England and Morocco. They aren't this unbeatable machine.
France play a rope-a-dope strategy, so it’s difficult to tell how good or shite they are. They let teams have the ball and so they can then hit on the counter.

It’s low risk high reward football for the most part but it means in this game giving Argentina/Messi 60 percent of possession.

fallengt

Messi got this in the bag.
France couldn't even defend against Saka. How can they do it against GOAT

Pink Moon

Supports
Celtic
Romero had one bad game v Saudi Arabia and Otamendi has been unbelievable all tournament. Alongside Gvardiol for best CB, IMO.

I can only assume the people who moan about these two starting before every game do so because Martinez plays for United? It was Martinez's poor defending that sparked the Dutch comeback.

Pink Moon

Supports
Celtic
France play a rope-a-dope strategy, so it’s difficult to tell how good or shite they are. They let teams have the ball and so they can then hit on the counter.

It’s low risk high reward football for the most part but it means in this game giving Argentina/Messi 60 percent of possession.
I think a better team than Morocco would've took advantage of it in the semi. Their full backs got roasted a few times and Morocco just couldn't make anything come of it. Then there was the one where the guy was through on goal and just decided to not shoot for some unknown reason :lol:

kouroux

45k posts to finally achieve this tagline
Romero had one bad game v Saudi Arabia and Otamendi has been unbelievable all tournament. Alongside Gvardiol for best CB, IMO.

I can only assume the people who moan about these two starting before every game do so because Martinez plays for United? It was Martinez's poor defending that sparked the Dutch comeback.
Being shorter than a giant= poor defending?

bosnian_red

Worst scout to ever exist
Questionable to bring Di Maria back in and go attacking in the final.. hope it works out though. France would be a boring winner, Messi is the ultimate story line winner.

TheNewEra

Knows Kroos' mentality
Sheesh, I'm bricking it big time now. All the confidence I felt yesterday and the days before is gone :nervous:
Goals settle nerves.

Honestly I've been telling myself France will win so I won't be disappointed. But the reality is with France, Giroud and Mbappe just seem to pop up and score even if France play like shit for 90 minutes, somehow your players can just convert a chance out of nothing.

France haven't got out of first gear all tournament so you never know they could show up today and just play a blinder.

kouroux

Goals settle nerves.

Honestly I've been telling myself France will win so I won't be disappointed. But the reality is with France, Giroud and Mbappe just seem to pop up and score even if France play like shit for 90 minutes, somehow your players can just convert a chance out of nothing.

France haven't got out of first gear all tournament so you never know they could show up today and just play a blinder.
And I've been telling myself that Messi has to end up with a WC :lol:

IFC 1905

As people who are always struggling in life with our politicians and everything bad we have, I think we deserve to feel a little better for a couple days. I really hope we can get it. But we can't ask for nothing else from the boys, totally proud of them.

We are going o play against a great team. Wish all the french posters here the best of lucks, although you're gonna win more in the future, let us this one please :D

TheNewEra

Knows Kroos' mentality
Questionable to bring Di Maria back in and go attacking in the final.. hope it works out though. France would be a boring winner, Messi is the ultimate story line winner.
Di Maria has the 5th most assists in history.

1. Lionel Messi (319 assists)
2. Cristiano Ronaldo (258 assists)
3. Luis Suarez (256 assists)
4. Mesut Ozil (253 assists)
5. Angel Di Maria (235 assists)
6. Cesc Fabregas (234 assists)
7. Xavi (230 assists)
8. Franck Ribery (228 assists)
9. Thomas Muller (224 assists)

10. Kevin de Bruyne (216 assists)

He also scored in the Copa America 2022 Final

The question mark for me is, does he have match sharpness for the final?

Sweet Square

I think a better team than Morocco would've took advantage of it in the semi. Their full backs got roasted a few times and Morocco just couldn't make anything come of it. Then there was the one where the guy was through on goal and just decided to not shoot for some unknown reason :lol:
Honestly lost my mind at that. Yeah agree with you, a better team(Or a team with decent striker)could have caused France some real problems. Tbh the funniest outcome would be Argentina repeating the semi final result, so the praise we’ve all given France was just pure luck.

kouroux

As people who are always struggling in life with our politicians and everything bad we have, I think we deserve to feel a little better for a couple days. I really hope we can get it. But we can't ask for nothing else from the boys, totally proud of them.

We are going o play against a great team. Wish all the french posters here the best of lucks, although you're gonna win more in the future, let us this one please :D
I won't wish any Argentinian the best of luck that's for sure :wenger:

TheNewEra

Knows Kroos' mentality
I won't wish any Argentinian the best of luck that's for sure :wenger:
I don't really go for nationalist of them vs us, but France haven't won a WC in 4 years, Argentina 36 years.

So I'm sure the French can cope :lol: but of course its Frances to lose.

Idxomer

Di Maria has the 5th most assists in history.

1. Lionel Messi (319 assists)
2. Cristiano Ronaldo (258 assists)
3. Luis Suarez (256 assists)
4. Mesut Ozil (253 assists)
5. Angel Di Maria (235 assists)
6. Cesc Fabregas (234 assists)
7. Xavi (230 assists)
8. Franck Ribery (228 assists)
9. Thomas Muller (224 assists)

10. Kevin de Bruyne (216 assists)

He also scored in the Copa America 2022 Final

The question mark for me is, does he have match sharpness for the final?
There's no way this is an accurate list.

lex talionis

Completely irrelevant, but I live in a community in California with a huge Mexican population and the overwhelming sentiment against Argentina — not necessarily for France, but against Argentina. My brother hates Argentina. Not for me though. I’m happy to see either team win it, so long as the refereeing is balanced.

Prediction? France 2-1

Oly Francis

Supports
PSG
Acuna replaced at the last minute by Tagliafico. Not a huge gap in quality

Lee565

The is a battle of the greats, messi wins this and it will be a difference maker in many seeing him as the greatest ever but on the other side you have mbappe who will up there with Pele of having a such an influence on helping his country win two world cups at such a young age which will give him a great base going forward in his career of claiming to be the greatest of all time

MadDogg

Manchester Utd never lose, just run out of time
As of April apparently so, other conflicting lists with Pele Cruyff have ADM as 8th top assister
I believe assists weren't really recorded until 2000 or so, so it'd only be since then. To get the stats for anyone before that somebody would have had to go back and watch recordings of every game they ever played (or at least every goal that their team scored).

Andycoleno9

matchday malcontent
Messi is the best player in the world last 10 years. Today Mbappe has a chance to start his era. Come on France.

TheNewEra

Knows Kroos' mentality
I believe assists weren't really recorded until 2000 or so, so it'd only be since then. To get the stats for anyone before that somebody would have had to go back and watch recordings of every game they ever played (or at least every goal that their team scored).
Stats started being collected in 1966 I think, so pre '66 I dont think they were collected

But the point is ADM is under appreciated, obviously because of how he was at United is one point.

Hes a threat its just he might not be match sharp

VorZakone

What would Kenny G do?
Bad decision by Scaloni to start Di Maria. Di Maria is not suddenly going to find a new level, he'll be too predictable and not good enough to impact the game.

JPRouve

can't stop thinking about balls - NOT deflategate
Scout
As of April apparently so, other conflicting lists with Pele Cruyff have ADM as 8th top assister
Giggs is supposed to have around 250, so the list is a bit strange.

TheNewEra

Knows Kroos' mentality
Bad decision by Scaloni to start Di Maria. Di Maria is not suddenly going to find a new level, he'll be too predictable and not good enough to impact the game.
Hes been poor in Serie A for sure

Oly Francis

Supports
PSG
Some French fans: FIFA is rigged they want Messi to win a WC.

Also: In the Final, Infantino sits with Macron and Pogba
I'm not sure I've seen a single french fan allege that the WC was rigged, it was more fans from teams that were defeated by Argentina.

Man-United

Did you know that the winner will have to leave the trophy to FIFA immidietely after the celebration?

bosnian_red

Worst scout to ever exist
Crazy looking back that this was the first Messi game I've ever seen, was just a kid and this was on the tele randomly. Bossed the u20 world cup final

Gio

★★★★★★★★
Supports
Rangers
Aye, it’s a post 2006 list. But worth highlighting that some nerds on Twitter have estimated assist totals of the great players based on analysing the available video footage and particularly match reports then extrapolating to fill in the gaps. Not fully accurate but unlikely to be far off - think they had Puskas, Pele and Cruyff each coming in around 350-420.

gerdm07

Thinks we should have kept Pereira
Di Maria should be fresh and ready and he could be the difference.

Why do we call Martinez "Licha?"

Molina has had a great tournament and I think he'll do a good job vs Mbappe.

Some Messi magic for 1 or 2 goals please!