The Final: Argentina vs France

Predict the winner

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

TheLiverBird

With the French Defence, Messi will have a field day

it’s not even an ewwwww it’s going to be a close on end folks

The French have zero chance…..there’s also no bitterness from me, and Englishman, towards the French for knocking us out

That_Bloke

Supports
Leicester City

The French have zero chance…..there’s also no bitterness from me, and Englishman, towards the French for knocking us out
Is Di maria fit again? France's left flank is their weak link. I suppose that Argentina will concentrate their attacks on Hernandez who's defensively suspect. Morocco ate him alive.

Samid

He's no Bilal Ilyas Jhandir
This is too close to call. At the end of the day I think it will come down to who scores the most in 90 mins or even extra time and pens if it comes to that.

Siorac

Yes, but even the most biased of Ronaldo fans won't be able to argue it if Messi wins the world cup. He can even win it in a Ronaldo Euro 2016 fashion and it'll count IMO. Just needs to get over the line for his career.
Oh but they're still going to argue it.

RoyH1

To close to call for me this one. Really could go either way. I hope that we get a good ref that has a solid game so that it doesn't come down to a questionable penalty or the like.

I'm going to support the Argies for Lisandro. Rafael has won his WC/EC and multiple CL's. He'll be ok.

Messi gets his WC finally and can retire to Miami to live the life.

SerendipityNow

Supports
Barcelona
We saw it against Croatia, their midfield is too average. Paredes? De Paul? They stand absolutely no chance against France.

Paredes out and Martinez in gives them some hope, but in the end, the quality of France shines through.

2-0 France.

jesperjaap

Dembele is very disapointing so far in my opinion. He has a lot of room on his side since most teams focus on Mbappé and he's not using it well, he needs to present an alternative threat consistently.
I thought he was good in the group games bar the finak product, but agree in the knock out stages

Tincanalley

Turns player names into a crappy conversation

:) course not :)

Tincanalley

Turns player names into a crappy conversation
Two good teams, that deserve to be there. I think France will edge it. Agree with poster above about ref; hope he’s invisible but wise. Third place will mean more to Morocco but they are short of players

RobinLFC

Cries when Liverpool doesn't get praised
Supports
Liverpool
I'm not surprised you don't realize what it takes to win a world cup, considering you're from Belgium.

France was ahead most of the time in both of the games you mention, and when they needed to score a second goal against england, they did. They didn't go once into OT. You might not like the way that France manages their games but there's nothing random or lucky about reaching 2 world cup finals in a row when no team did that since 1990.
:lol: re: the first paragraph.

Yeah, I was really impressed how you were managing the game early in the second half yesterday, pressed into your own box and praying that Morocco wouldn't convert any of their chances. I'm guessing Argentina will know what to do in such a scenario.

Bole Top

France casually wins this 3-1. better attack, better midfield, more pace and more height in every area. Argentina can hurt them with Messi if he bring his best form, but France can hurt Argentina with pretty much everything. Giroud, Mbappe, Dembele and then Griezmann and Tchouameni behind. just don't see how Argentina can cope here, it's a terrible match up for them. Messi aside, they're simply a bit worse in pretty much every area.

HypeMerchant

Great Matchup.

I was also wondering, which heavyweight matchups have yet to happen in a WC final?

Brazil vs Argentina
Italy vs Argentina
France vs Germany

Argentina have played half of their six finals against Germany. They’ll add France to the list this week.

izec

France is winning this quietly and boring. I predict a 2-0 victory, with not much happening.

RobinLFC

Supports
Liverpool
We saw it against Croatia, their midfield is too average. Paredes? De Paul? They stand absolutely no chance against France.

Paredes out and Martinez in gives them some hope, but in the end, the quality of France shines through.

2-0 France.
:wenger:

They ran Kovacic-Brozovic-Modric ragged but you think they won't be able to do that against Tchouameni-Rabiot-Griezmann? Sure.

kouroux

45k posts to finally achieve this tagline
Dembele is very disapointing so far in my opinion. He has a lot of room on his side since most teams focus on Mbappé and he's not using it well, he needs to present an alternative threat consistently.
He is like our Matuidi of 2022 but on the right side. Defensively he is good but on the other hand, there is nothing

TheNewEra

Knows Kroos' mentality
If Di Maria plays, we win the World Cup
I didn't realise until yesterday that Di Maria is the 5th highest player in history when it comes to assists.

I think he's usually shit when I watch him but fair play to him.

More assists than KDB.

(ADM has been shite this season though in Serie A) he's a 34 year old that plays as you'd expect for a 34 year old winger.

SerendipityNow

Supports
Barcelona

They ran Kovacic-Brozovic-Modric ragged but you think they won't be able to do that against Tchouameni-Rabiot-Griezmann? Sure.
The Croatian midfielders ran circles around the Argentina midfield, and yes I think the France midfield will do the same.
That said, if France get too offensive and lose possession, it will leave space open for Messi, Enzo and Alvarez.

Revan

Assumptionman
Don't know about that. He's got the habit of popping up with a goal in a big game for Argentina.

I wouldn't be that confident if I were you.
Messi vs Wrong Opinion IMO.

Actually, I would put Messi (if he wins this) in a tier of his own, with CR7, Pele and Maradona on the next tier, and Cruyff, Di Stefano and probably Beckenbauer and Platini in the next one.

Hernandez - BFA

The Way to Fly
Just one more win Argentina. France are favourites but they look far from looking completely solid.

I think Scaloni will go back to a back 5 with Martinez in.

kouroux

Don't know about that. He's got the habit of popping up with a goal in a big game for Argentina.

I wouldn't be that confident if I were you.
There is a reason he's been benched and they have been playing better without him in this tournament. I will be more confident if he starts, off the bench is another matter

Baneofthegame

They didn’t run anyone ragged, before the penalty Croatia bossed possession, the second goal was basically shambolic defending on the counter.

RobinLFC

Supports
Liverpool
They didn’t run anyone ragged, before the penalty Croatia bossed possession, the second goal was basically shambolic defending on the counter.
Yeah, not like France scored twice yesterday because of lucky deflections off Moroccan defenders or anything like that.

justsomebloke

France seem to play to the level of their opponents and always look like they have another gear to go up if needed. Probably a good strategy for a knockout tournament.

Messi has been fantastic and I’d love to see him cap his career with a WC win, but I can’t see past France’s overall quality.
I see a lot of people reasoning like this, both here and in the press, and maybe it's true. But then again, how can we really know? You could equally well argue they have won without really dominating games, and that what we've seen is as good as it's likely to get. Morocco had a shot in the post that would have tied the game, England fluffed a penalty that would have done the same. The way they've been playing certainly hasn't denied their opponents a relative plenty of opportunities to nullify their leads, more perhaps than they could reasonably expect to get away with. They don't deserve to be called a team that grabs a lead and then effectively smothers the game - they were that kind of team four years ago, but they haven't been now. So, it all comes down to that idea of the extra gear, that would be there if they needed it. Except we don't really know if it would have been there. And if it wouldn't, then they are really guilty of sloppy game management.

Football. Bloody hell. Makes your head ache.

makes new threads with tweets in the OP
Its funny how similar these two teams are. Neither has had a truly dominant performance from start to finish in this competition. Even in games where they've recorded big scores, they regularly give up possession, territory and chances. What seems to get them through is excellence on transition, coupled with the individual talent of a world beater and a doggedness and resoluteness when defending a lead. I would say both sides are happier being reactive and allowing the opponent to make the running so they can turn the ball over and get in behind. Not obvious to me who wins this one.

IFC 1905

Well folks, after watching multiple Tarot videos, I came to the following conclusion:

France will be the champions of the world once again. But they will have a polemic/scandalous call and everyone will be saying this cup is corrupted.

So let's see if it happens on sunday. I want to already congratulate my french pals from the caf, you did a great job and have amazing players.

kouroux

Well folks, after watching multiple Tarot videos, I came to the following conclusion:

France will be the champions of the world once again. But they will have a polemic/scandalous call and everyone will be saying this cup is corrupted.

So let's see if it happens on sunday. I want to already congratulate my french pals from the caf, you did a great job and have amazing players.
Noo, Messi is the goat of goats. I already bow down to his title, congratulations

antk

Very weak jinx attempt, won't fall for it.

youngrell

I don't think any team reserves a gear or two in a WC. If France looked half-assed then it is because they avoided exposing their defense. For a team that's so conservative, they allow quite a few scoring opportunities for their opponents. And their biggest threat - Mbappe - has been shut down almost entirely for two matches a row now. They don't really get him into dangerous positions enough.
I see a lot of people reasoning like this, both here and in the press, and maybe it's true. But then again, how can we really know? You could equally well argue they have won without really dominating games, and that what we've seen is as good as it's likely to get. Morocco had a shot in the post that would have tied the game, England fluffed a penalty that would have done the same. The way they've been playing certainly hasn't denied their opponents a relative plenty of opportunities to nullify their leads, more perhaps than they could reasonably expect to get away with. They don't deserve to be called a team that grabs a lead and then effectively smothers the game - they were that kind of team four years ago, but they haven't been now. So, it all comes down to that idea of the extra gear, that would be there if they needed it. Except we don't really know if it would have been there. And if it wouldn't, then they are really guilty of sloppy game management.

Football. Bloody hell. Makes your head ache.
You may be right, there just seems to be too much quality in their team AND they seem to be able to eek out an extra goal when it is required, without really exerting themselves too much. They did it pretty decisively against England when it looked more likely England may score next.

I don't think you can call a speculative overhead kick on to the post as giving up much of a reasonable chance against them. They also gifted England 2 braindead penalties, outside of that England weren't able to carve out too many clear opportunities.

They can certainly be gotten at, I have no doubt. But I also think if you do manage to breach their goal, they can get another if they really push for it.

That_Bloke

Supports
Leicester City
There is a reason he's been benched and they have been playing better without him in this tournament. I will be more confident if he starts, off the bench is another matter
As far as I know he's injured. I don't think that he'd been on the bench otherwise and he's one of their best assets going forward.