Gaming The Final Fantasy Thread

What's your favourite single-player FF?

• Total voters

Ixion

On the subject of FF, Anyone looking forward to killing chaos in Stranger of Paradise FF Origin :D:wenger:

:lol:
I was looking forward to that game until I saw this clip wtf.

That's Garland right?

Irwin99

I was looking forward to that game until I saw this clip wtf.

That's Garland right?
I don't know, I think there are multiple Garlands and the main character might 'become' the Garland we see in FF1? but who knows.

Somebody actually approved this writing :lol: You think of all the channels it must go through before approval and not one person says "I think perhaps we might be pushing this whole 'Chaos' thing a bit too much". I'm actually wondering, because of the reaction, if they might just ham it up and make it a campy cult classic on purpose. I'd love that.

Some of the comments on the video are gold btw.

SuperiorXI

I don't know, I think there are multiple Garlands and the main character might 'become' the Garland we see in FF1? but who knows.

Somebody actually approved this writing :lol: You think of all the channels it must go through before approval and not one person says "I think perhaps we might be pushing this whole 'Chaos' thing a bit too much". I'm actually wondering, because of the reaction, if they might just ham it up and make it a campy cult classic on purpose. I'd love that.

Some of the comments on the video are gold btw.
Holy shit that's awful :lol:

That's like they got a bunch of 7 year olds off the playground and asked them to write the dialogue.

Irwin99

Holy shit that's awful :lol:

That's like they got a bunch of 7 year olds off the playground and asked them to write the dialogue.
Apparently the creative team were quite upset about it becoming a meme but then they released the Limp Bizkit music scene which drew a similar reaction and people were laughing all over again :lol: . At this point, they should just own its ridiculousness, camp this game up to the extreme and then just market it as a bit of silly fun. It could become a bit of a cult classic.

tenpoless

No 6-pack, just 2Pac
Supports
4-4-2 classic
FFXIV is fire. The beginning is kinda slow (vanilla version) but the expansions after that are all excellent.
I know it's an MMO but if you don't mind an MMO (that you can play almost like a single player game anyway), give it a try. The lore is better than all of the other ones in my opinion and it's crazy. The bosses/characters from the previous series also make appearance in the game in raids or side quests.

KirkDuyt

Supports
Feyenoord
This is definitely worth a bump.

I just found out in my umpteenthed playthrough of Final Fantasy 6 that emperor Gestahl is not actually a dog. It's just a weird sprite.

That is all.

Woodzy

The quality (and over-abundant quantity) of gear from chests is a real mess (are they random or something?), and coupled with punitive carrying capacity is beginning to piss me off.

I remember in FFXIII (the best FF) getting single potions in late game chests that you had to fight battles to get to, which was equally annoying and this feels like it's designed the same way.
I liked FFXIII and never understood all the hate it got. A lot of people seemed to hate it because of how linear it is. People love FFX and that game is literally a straight line until the Calm Lands.

FFXIII has a good combat system as well. I liked how you could change your loadout (or whatever it was called in the game) to change how you dealt with a fight.
So what do we do about this then?

Irwin99

It never ceases to amaze me how people can get the comparison between FF13 and FF10 so so wrong. FF13's problem is not linearity in itself, linearity is fine, it's HOW that linearity is implemented that's the big problem. In 13 you have a constant cycle of cutscene-battles-corridor on a near infinite loop. In FF10 you have a straight forward march but it's varied with lore building, little pitstops where you can chat to people/shop, blitzball and minigame breaks, and moments to just take a moment and chill before resuming. I don't think there's a single area in FF10 that outstays it's welcome. 13 on the other hand :mad:

CloneMC16

It never ceases to amaze me how people can get the comparison between FF13 and FF10 so so wrong. FF13's problem is not linearity in itself, linearity is fine, it's HOW that linearity is implemented that's the big problem. In 13 you have a constant cycle of cutscene-battles-corridor on a near infinite loop. In FF10 you have a straight forward march but it's varied with lore building, little pitstops where you can chat to people/shop, blitzball and minigame breaks, and moments to just take a moment and chill before resuming. I don't think there's a single area in FF10 that outstays it's welcome. 13 on the other hand :mad:
The story in XIII doesn't allow for that. They're fugitives on the run. Stopping and chatting to random NPC's and playing games would never make sense in the story being told.

Irwin99

The story in XIII doesn't allow for that. They're fugitives on the run. Stopping and chatting to random NPC's and playing games would never make sense in the story being told.
But I feel the game delivers zero urgency behind the feeling that they're on the run or being chased; in fact the traversal through the environments feels very leisurely at times. You actually get more intensity from being chased out of the temple in FFX (when that music plays and the soldiers are running after you) than at any point in FFXIII. And also, it doesn't stop them having long (exceedingly long) conversations about how they're feeling despite them being chased for being 'enemies of Cocoon'.

For me personally the design choices were never justified in anyway in XIII. Each to their own though.

Ainu

A poor concept is not a justification for a poorly designed game, it just adds to the failure.

Revan

Assumptionman
Haven't played FFXIII but I did not like FFX that much. Found it comfortably the worst FF game I played (FF4, FF6, FF7, FF8, FF9 and FFX). The love relation was nice, but other than that, there wasn't much I liked it from that game.

I think my ranking of FF games have never changed: FF7 = FF6 > FF9 > FF8 = FF4 > FFX, with Chrono Trigger (which is a FF game not called FF) being around the level of FF9.

Twins

"Everybody loves a golden shower"
Haven't played FFXIII but I did not like FFX that much. Found it comfortably the worst FF game I played (FF4, FF6, FF7, FF8, FF9 and FFX). The love relation was nice, but other than that, there wasn't much I liked it from that game.

I think my ranking of FF games have never changed: FF7 = FF6 > FF9 > FF8 = FF4 > FFX, with Chrono Trigger (which is a FF game not called FF) being around the level of FF9.
If we're including FF games not called FF, then I guess we can all agree that Lost Odyssey is the best Final Fantasy game.

Revan

Assumptionman
If we're including FF games not called FF, then I guess we can all agree that Lost Odyssey is the best Final Fantasy game.
Personally I would put it around FF8/FF4. Had fun playing it, but not as much as FF6/7/9 or CT. Better than FFX though

Ainu

Each and every one of them is a masterpiece compared to FFXIII.

Not even close to the best. Compared to those I've played, it wouldn't be bottom, but also not very high.

Vidyoyo

The bad "V"
I still maintain LO is a much better version of FFX. The gameplay is basically the same but the story is much better as there's far less melodrama (which even for JRPGs becomes a bit too much in FFX).

That's my hot take for today

Revan

Assumptionman
I still maintain LO is a much better version of FFX. The gameplay is basically the same but the story is much better as there's far less melodrama (which even for JRPGs becomes a bit too much in FFX).

That's my hot take for today
Been a few years since I played them, but I remember LO having easier mechanics and requiring less grinding. Found it more enjoyable than FFX.

Ainu

I've often felt the story of Lost Odyssey gets a bit overrated. It's nothing special and I didn't think the characters were all that interesting. The most enjoyable story bits were found in those "1000 years" animated short stories or whatever they were called, it's been a while.

A good game, but a game needs to be better than good to stack up to SNES and PS1 era Final Fantasy games. It's better than the likes of FFX-2, XIII (never touch its spin-offs but they can't be great) and XV for sure.

Massive Spanner

Give Mason Mount a chance!
VI is the best
Followed by VII, IX, V, IV in whatever order people want - amazing JPRG's but they're not VI
Then VIII, XII, and X - all great but not quite up there
Then getting shat on by Hitler
Then XIII and XV

Vidyoyo

The bad "V"
VI is the best
Followed by VII, IX, V, IV in whatever order people want - amazing JPRG's but they're not VI
Then VIII, XII, and X - all great but not quite up there
Then getting shat on by Hitler
Then XIII and XV
I don't have an issues with this opinion but knowing that in itself leaves me conflicted and a little worried.

Last edited:

Ainu

I genuinely don't understand which metrics people are using to rate JRPGs here? I was tongue in cheek saying XIII is the best one, but fecks sake.

What makes a good JRPG to people?
I rate them by how enjoyable I found them. It isn't exactly science.

Drawfull

I rate them by how enjoyable I found them. It isn't exactly science.
But which bits did you enjoy? Which bits push one up your list over another?

It might not be science, but no-one seems to be able to say 'why'. I could write a novel on why I prefer 12 and 13 over the other entries, but there's no discourse because Aerith. Or something.

caid

I think i probably would have quite liked XIII if i was 12 when i played it. They're games for emo teenagers really and your favourite is almost certainly the one you played when you were that age. Thats my hot take for the thread

Irwin99

I'm not sure I would have liked XIII even as a teenager. The gameplay loop of long corridor, battles, awful cutscene in XIII is just too unsatisfying. I played it again a few years ago to give it another fair shot (and as part of an FF platinum run) and it really is that bad i'm sorry to say :(

One thing i will give it though is that the myth that you can beat the game on auto-battle is absolute nonsense. You'll get destroyed if you don't figure out the paradigm shift thingy.