Gaming The Final Fantasy Thread

What's your favourite single-player FF?

• Total voters

Ainu

But which bits did you enjoy? Which bits push one up your list over another?

It might not be science, but no-one seems to be able to say 'why'. I could write a novel on why I prefer 12 and 13 over the other entries, but there's no discourse because Aerith. Or something.
I can definitely tell you why I didn't like XIII. For pretty much the entire game, it's literally nothing more than corridors with no other option than walking forward and fighting monsters. It's not that it's linear, it's that it fails to make me believe in a wider world out there. It felt like there was nothing out there. It rarely if ever breaks up the pacing, there's no moments for slowing down, doing other stuff, just any sort of variety.

And then there's the writing. It's been too long to remember it exactly, but I spent most of the game rolling my eyes at the cutscenes and hoping no one would enter the room and see me watching that stuff. I didn't like any of the characters and that made me not believe in their stories either. Gameplay was fine, but I remember character progress constantly being gated, which annoyed me. Either way, that alone was not enough to compensate all of its other shortcomings.

I don't mention FFXII in the same breath, though. I love that game, despite its story and several of its characters not doing anything for me. It has such a fantastic world and a lot of flexibility in terms of character builds and combat.

KirkDuyt

Supports
Feyenoord
Final fantasy (and all JRPGs) became substantially worse once voice acting was introduced. You can't flesh stuff out properly if everything has to be spoken or you end up with a gazillion hour voice track. JRPG's are usually also far too preposterous to translate into spoken dialogue. Well that, and catering to children who like yuge anime boobs and rubbish real time combat.

Good thing some Indie developers still make proper SNES looking, written dialogue, turn based RPG's for old people.

Drawfull

I can definitely tell you why I didn't like XIII. For pretty much the entire game, it's literally nothing more than corridors with no other option than walking forward and fighting monsters. It's not that it's linear, it's that it fails to make me believe in a wider world out there. It felt like there was nothing out there. It rarely if ever breaks up the pacing, there's no moments for slowing down, doing other stuff, just any sort of variety.

And then there's the writing. It's been too long to remember it exactly, but I spent most of the game rolling my eyes at the cutscenes and hoping no one would enter the room and see me watching that stuff. I didn't like any of the characters and that made me not believe in their stories either. Gameplay was fine, but I remember character progress constantly being gated, which annoyed me. Either way, that alone was not enough to compensate all of its other shortcomings.

I don't mention FFXII in the same breath, though. I love that game, despite its story and several of its characters not doing anything for me. It has such a fantastic world and a lot of flexibility in terms of character builds and combat.
I kinda agree. But I'll disagree:

There are moments of digression, but they're so late in the tutorial game that loads are put off, I get that. The game's story, which I think for the time was a 'different' way of doing it, is hidden behind the text logs. I'm not saying that From games do this exact same thing, but maybe I am a bit. I've said to myself as some kind of healing thing - and to make myself feel better about other detractors - that they'd have been miles better off not having a minimap that exposed the sheer linearity of Chapters 1-10 (the tutorial, which is ridiculous), 12 and 13.

That said, for me one of the best things about the entire FF franchise is that you can beat them without doing the stuff that they want you to do. And XIII was good at this, as were 9 (epic fun) and 12 (pre remaster).

If you just want a bit of fun play XIII but don't level up at all and it's gonna make a game you hated into something more. You can do most of it without levelling weapons either.

Massive Spanner

Give Mason Mount a chance!
XII is a fecking great game and shouldn't even be mentioned alongside XIII. I've no idea how they managed to go so backwards with XIII when XII so successfully modernised the series and reinvented the battle system. Fine they didn't want it to be turn based anymore, felt like they found a great system in 12 and have failed in every game since to build on it. And at least 12 was really open and exploratory.

Drawfull

XII is a fecking great game and shouldn't even be mentioned alongside XIII. I've no idea how they managed to go so backwards with XIII when XII so successfully modernised the series and reinvented the battle system. Fine they didn't want it to be turn based anymore, felt like they found a great system in 12 and have failed in every game since to build on it. And at least 12 was really open and exploratory.
I've probably 5,000 hours on XII, 2,500 of which is a perfect save file on PS2, and it's what I voted for above. And I, like many was massively-disappointed with XIII immediately at its release, but I'm repeating myself now. It's a very, very good FF.

I don't have nearly as much love for XII TZA though.

XII wasn't really open unless you knew to do the streetear quest, and picked the right answers. Then it was open, I guess.

KirkDuyt

Supports
Feyenoord
I agree, ff12 is brilliant and I have no idea why it's lumped in with 13. I'd argue that FF12 was the last truly great Final Fantasy game. I did immensely enjoy the FF7 remake, but I'm unable to judge that without a massive throbbing nostalgia boner.

Revan

Assumptionman
I've probably 5,000 hours on XII, 2,500 of which is a perfect save file on PS2, and it's what I voted for above. And I, like many was massively-disappointed with XIII immediately at its release, but I'm repeating myself now. It's a very, very good FF.

I don't have nearly as much love for XII TZA though.

XII wasn't really open unless you knew to do the streetear quest, and picked the right answers. Then it was open, I guess.
How on Earth do you get 5000 hours in a FF game? Did you play it 50-100 times or what?

Drawfull

How on Earth do you get 5000 hours in a FF game? Did you play it 50-100 times or what?
Half of that at least was on trying to do a perfect save file, 99 of everything (7 Zodiac Spears without RNG as well which took a long time). And then all the versions on top. I gave up close to the end on the Mandragora drops, IIRC it was like 6 loots, with a 1% drop rate each on a run that took 20 minutes. I'd ahve to put a PS2 on to check where I got to cos the gameFaqs thread where there was a few of us going for it doesn't work it seems. Edit: here is the thread , or one of them: https://gamefaqs.gamespot.com/boards/459841-final-fantasy-xii/69437828

Here's a video of a guy that had more time on his hands than me:

This was the one we were following BITD on GameFaqs. There's lots of threads there with tips for specific loots if you want to waste a couple or more years of your life.

Edit to say I'd forgotten some stuff. You can definitely get more than 1 Eskir Berry, you can definitely keep your Sandalwood chops (so 24 I think) and you don't have to give up the Jaya Stick.

Edit edit: and I got three Mythril Swords (which needed a double drop from Omega, which was impossibly rare).

Last edited:

KirkDuyt

Supports
Feyenoord
Not Final Fantasy obviously, but Im playing Legend of heroes: Trails in the Sky and it's fantastic, but also amazingly homophobic :lol:

"Are you one of those guys who likes other boys? Eeeew pervert!!!" :nervous:

Zen86

Final fantasy (and all JRPGs) became substantially worse once voice acting was introduced. You can't flesh stuff out properly if everything has to be spoken or you end up with a gazillion hour voice track. JRPG's are usually also far too preposterous to translate into spoken dialogue. Well that, and catering to children who like yuge anime boobs and rubbish real time combat.

Good thing some Indie developers still make proper SNES looking, written dialogue, turn based RPG's for old people.
Any recommendations? I miss the old text-based pixellated games. It’s never quite been the same since voice acting came in. 10 was ok, I did love 12 though.

KirkDuyt

Supports
Feyenoord
Any recommendations? I miss the old text-based pixellated games. It’s never quite been the same since voice acting came in. 10 was ok, I did love 12 though.
I just finished Chained Echoes which was great. Sort of a love letter to SNES rpgs and quite insane that it was made by just 1 person. Octopath Traveler 2 is coming out in a week which Im looking forward to. The first one is good too.

I'm currently also playing Trails in the Sky (it's only on PC and PSP), which I personally like, but is extremely dialogue heavy.

The one I anticipate the most byfar is Eiyuden Chronicle: hundred heroes which allegedly comes out this year. It's sort of a Suikoden spiritual successor.

Zen86

I just finished Chained Echoes which was great. Sort of a love letter to SNES rpgs and quite insane that it was made by just 1 person. Octopath Traveler 2 is coming out in a week which Im looking forward to. The first one is good too.

I'm currently also playing Trails in the Sky (it's only on PC and PSP), which I personally like, but is extremely dialogue heavy.

The one I anticipate the most byfar is Eiyuden Chronicle: hundred heroes which allegedly comes out this year. It's sort of a Suikoden spiritual successor.
Cheers, will check them out

Massive Spanner

Give Mason Mount a chance!

Loved Chained Echoes.

apart from the Sky Armor battles. Hated them.

SilentWitness

ShoelessWitness
Staff
Supports
Everton
FF 13 is terrible because of absolutely everything. I don't like the linear concept when it comes to FF games but at least with FF10 you had more engagement and enjoyment with the characters and story whereas in 13 I hated the story, the characters and the battle system. It was all absolute wank.

KirkDuyt

Supports
Feyenoord
Loved Chained Echoes.

apart from the Sky Armor battles. Hated them.
Yeah didn't really like them either. Obvious nod to Xenogears though I suppose, which is a nice, but executed rather poorly. The character recruitment was also a bit half arsed.

Irwin99

I'm intrigued and i'm buying it at launch but I don't know, this feels like it will reinvent the series or bury it.

KirkDuyt

Supports
Feyenoord
Afraid it will just be poorly executed Devil May Cry, gameplay wise. Hoped it would be semi real time like FF7R.

Definitely buying it though.

Last edited:

FrankDrebin

Don't call me Shirley
Supports
USA Manchester Red Socks
More DMC than FF to some degree, understandable considering who's involved, and I'm not sure how the fans will take to that but, as a casual gamer in the series, this looks right up my street.
Visually it looks genuinely amazing, sound design sounds imperious and dramatic and I'm absolutely loving the execution of the bombastic icons battles.

KirkDuyt

Supports
Feyenoord
The part where he says it seems very easy is also a bit of a letdown for me. I love action games, but only if they're hard to the point of frustration :nervous:

FrankDrebin

Don't call me Shirley
Supports
USA Manchester Red Socks
The part where he says it seems very easy is also a bit of a letdown for me. I love action games, but only if they're hard to the point of frustration :nervous:
Yep, if you were to go from Elden Ring, different type of game to some extent, to this you'll possibly cruise through the experience ( if it's as easy or comfortable as the commentator said).

Naturally I'll struggle though.:lol:

CloneMC16

I'm intrigued and i'm buying it at launch but I don't know, this feels like it will reinvent the series or bury it.
They're going all in on the action gameplay. Purists are gonna hate this, but I think it looks good.

FFXV was a really easy game as well, so I expect this one to be similar.

Irwin99

They're going all in on the action gameplay. Purists are gonna hate this, but I think it looks good.

FFXV was a really easy game as well, so I expect this one to be similar.
Yeah the action focus and the fact that you only control one character is almost jarring for an FF game although i suppose 15 kind of experimented with this.

Tons of FF games have broken with the past and been somewhat experimental (2, 5, 8, 12 for instance all followed a success with something different) but this does look very different. It'll be a day one purchase for me all the same but i'm both excited and a bit worried.

SilentWitness

ShoelessWitness
Staff
Supports
Everton
Don't like the look of it at all. If they want to be modern they should stick with the combat route from FF7 Remake.

Woodzy

They are always trying to reinvent Final Fantasy but do they even need to? Just give us a good story ffs

CloneMC16

Yeah the action focus and the fact that you only control one character is almost jarring for an FF game although i suppose 15 kind of experimented with this.

Tons of FF games have broken with the past and been somewhat experimental (2, 5, 8, 12 for instance all followed a success with something different) but this does look very different. It'll be a day one purchase for me all the same but i'm both excited and a bit worried.
Yeah, 15 did similar. I know there was DLC that let you control the other characters, but I didn't play any of it.

I'll definitely buy day one. It looks good and I like action games. As said in the video, the devs clearly want to attract new fans from other action games. I'm still surprised that we didn't get the FF7R battle system. It has the ATB gauge for abilities, but normal attacks can be constantly used. Turn based fans still wouldn't be completely happy, but it might be enough for them to enjoy the game.

SilentWitness

ShoelessWitness
Staff
Supports
Everton

You're right. 8 and 12 deterred from the norm, as did the FF7 remake but still withheld the FF authenticity. I haven't felt that from FF13 onwards.

padr81

Supports
Man City
8's still a ball of shite. 16 looks promising.

padr81

Supports
Man City
They are always trying to reinvent Final Fantasy but do they even need to? Just give us a good story ffs
For me its something I admire the FF teams for. Sometimes it lands, often it doesn't but I'd hate to see FF turn into DragonQuest and just throw out a slightly more modern version of the same game every release.
One of the things that seperates FF from other jrpg series (sorry Yoshi P, not trying to be derogatory!) is it constantly trying something new even though it often fails ala 8, 13, 13-3 or just falls flat like 15.

Other jrpg series are happy to reskin essentially the same game with a new story.

FrankDrebin

Don't call me Shirley
Supports
USA Manchester Red Socks
Personally I find it refreshing that they go down different creative avenues for their games.

SilentWitness

ShoelessWitness
Staff
Supports
Everton
For me its something I admire the FF teams for. Sometimes it lands, often it doesn't but I'd hate to see FF turn into DragonQuest and just throw out a slightly more modern version of the same game every release.
One of the things that seperates FF from other jrpg series (sorry Yoshi P, not trying to be derogatory!) is it constantly trying something new even though it often fails ala 8, 13, 13-3 or just falls flat like 15.

Other jrpg series are happy to reskin essentially the same game with a new story.
:nono:

Ødegaard

formerly MrEriksen
Scout
Fear Final Fantasy won't be for me for much longer, have a sneaky suspicion this will be my last. Just another DMC-type game isn't what I loved the series for, despite quite liking DMC 1 & 3.
Will keep an eye on how the next one gets set up as the setting can be good enough to make me accept the changes, but if they do DMC-like play in FF13 like worlds then it won't ever be for me. More Gongaga & Bone Village for location styles and just bits of Midgar & Gold Saucer with airships to add the higher tech late game & story stuff would be acceptable.

Ainu

I don't mind a fully real-time battle system. As long as it's good, I much prefer it over a half-hearted attempt to combine turn-based and real-time like FFXV.

I don't have a lot of faith in SE though, so they'll probably mess this up.

KirkDuyt

Supports
Feyenoord
Have any of you nerds played The Last Remnant? I always assuned it was cack, but the remaster looks awesome. Is it?