The Football Moral Police

Kag

The rush to feel sympathy for Salah is a little strange, partly fuelled by the mass hate for Ramos and his antics. He's hurt his shoulder and might miss a World Cup. Boo bloody hoo.

The Karius debacle was incredible viewing. Exceptionally funny stuff. The small human part of me feels a bit of sympathy for him, mind you. Only a small part.

exit35

I can’t stand Klopp and I can’t stand Liverpool. That has nothing to do with it. I just tend to feel for people in extreme psychological situations, because I know from my own experience how that can feel and how easily great psychological stress can be triggered.
Then maybe they should not be playing at the level they are? This is par for the course when you are an elite level athlete.

I tend to agree with the OP here, I think I will always save my sympathy and concern for players like Luc Nilis, David Busst, Fabrice Muamba etc, over smaller injuries that might make a player miss a tournament or players who do not have the mental fortitude to play at this high level. At least they can drop to a level which suits them better.

SteveJ

all-round nice guy, aka Uncle Joe Kardashian
Scout
He's been endlessly debating with me which bicycle kick was better: Ronaldo's or Bale's.
Karius's goal was best: automatic ball return in a 'Pool game.

noodlehair

"It's like..."
Are people actually claiming Ramos injured Sarah on purpose? :lol:

Even if you're a Liverpool fan that's a somewhat massive stretch. The guy sprained his shoulder after locking his own arm into an opponent.

BusbyMalone

First Man Falling
Are people actually claiming Ramos injured Sarah on purpose? :lol:

Even if you're a Liverpool fan that's a somewhat massive stretch. The guy sprained his shoulder after locking his own arm into an opponent.
Nah, they think he injured Salah on purpose though.

Theonas

Scout
Is it getting a bit too much for anyone else as well?? Last night people were all over Ramos for supposedly intentionally injuring Salah. Now I dislike Ramos as much as the next guy but why are Utd fans crying foul over Pool's chances of winning the CL being reduced?

Similarly earlier in the season when De Bruyne got injured against Palace, people were up in arms when a few said they hoped he was out for a long time. I don't get this uproar. An opponent's influential player being out is good for us. It's not like our wishing them well or bad has any actual effect. No one is hoping that someone gets any permanent damage or anything, but this sympathy for opponents is really a bit grating.

Call me old fashioned or bitter or whatever but I'd take Utd winning and our rivals not winning any way possible.

I got no problem appreciating an opponent when they have done great ( well except for Pool) but all this display of sportsmanship and sympathy when the competition is going on is a bit weird. We are fans afterall, not diplomats.
I am not sure about that. A lot of people from older generations will tell you how this bitterness and hatred towards rivals is much more intense nowadays. Sir Alex used to talk about a picture from long ago that showed rival fans watching a game like it was a play. The point being how there was a time where the sheer venom we see nowadays among rival fans was so much less relevant. There are also those who will tell you the phenomena of celebrating your rivals' failures is a new generation thing intensified even more in the age of Sky and later on social media.

As for your general point, feeling sorry for Karius is a bit over the top. The man made a mistake in a football game, nothing more there. But to condemn Ramos and feel for Salah is entirely different. Sportsmanship and a sense of justice if above everything, yes even silly footballing tribal matters.

King7Eric

Correctly predicted Italy to win Euro 2020
I am not sure about that. A lot of people from older generations will tell you how this bitterness and hatred towards rivals is much more intense nowadays. Sir Alex used to talk about a picture from long ago that showed rival fans watching a game like it was a play. The point being how there was a time where the sheer venom we see nowadays among rival fans was so much less relevant. There are also those who will tell you the phenomena of celebrating your rivals' failures is a new generation thing intensified even more in the age of Sky and later on social media.

As for your general point, feeling sorry for Karius is a bit over the top. The man made a mistake in a football game, nothing more there. But to condemn Ramos and feel for Salah is entirely different. Sportsmanship and a sense of justice if above everything, yes even silly footballing tribal matters.
The rivalries today are much more intense if you compare from 50-60 years ago, probably even a bit later than that. But in the last couple of years there has come this wave of political correctness that is biting away at the tribalism that makes football fun. I don't know about other football forums because I'm only on this one, but living in Spain currently I can tell you there isn't a chance in hell that any Barca fan would have been even contemplating feeling sorry for Navas if he made a howler or for Ronaldo if he came off injured.[/QUOTE]

noodlehair

"It's like..."
Nah, they think he injured Salah on purpose though.
Autocorrect is a bitch. Not sure how anyone watches that and concludes Ramos is to blame.

Like Ramos doesn't give you enough legitimate reasons to think he's a cnut during the course of a game.

Random Task

WW Lynchpin

I couldn't agree more that social media has played a large part in the heightening of football rivalries worldwide. But...

Did you not feel the slightest bit relieved when Salah left the field? At the stage of the game Liverpool had their tails up and were largely dominating precedings, had he not left the pitch God knows how the game would have turned out.

Random Task

WW Lynchpin
Autocorrect is a bitch. Not sure how anyone watches that and concludes Ramos is to blame.

Like Ramos doesn't give you enough legitimate reasons to think he's a cnut during the course of a game.
The coming together of arms during a tussle for the ball is a common occurence. Although there is little doubt that Ramos fully intended to drag Salah to the ground, there is no way he could have predicted an injury would occur or intended that to be the outcome.

BusbyMalone

First Man Falling

The outrage is fecking ridiculous. The sort of shit you see week in, week out in football around the world. He was just he unfortunate in how he landed. Nothing more to it.

adexkola

Doesn't understand sportswashing.
The CL is a glorified FA Cup set to music
Supports
orderly disembarking on planes
The rivalries today are much more intense if you compare from 50-60 years ago, probably even a bit later than that. But in the last couple of years there has come this wave of political correctness that is biting away at the tribalism that makes football fun. I don't know about other football forums because I'm only on this one, but living in Spain currently I can tell you there isn't a chance in hell that any Barca fan would have been even contemplating feeling sorry for Navas if he made a howler or for Ronaldo if he came off injured.
And maybe this is the disconnect for me, because I don't see what tribalism has to do with my enjoyment of football as a sport.

King7Eric

Correctly predicted Italy to win Euro 2020
And maybe this is the disconnect for me, because I don't see what tribalism has to do with my enjoyment of football as a sport.
Well fair enough mate. To each his own. As long as you don't preach that everyone should be like that I don't see how anyone can have a problem with that.

Random Task

WW Lynchpin
Don't you have those Liverpool supporting mates who bend over backwards to rub your nose in it when United lose?

adexkola

Doesn't understand sportswashing.
The CL is a glorified FA Cup set to music
Supports
orderly disembarking on planes
Don't you have those Liverpool supporting mates who bend over backwards to rub your nose in it when United lose?
I don't and that's probably the problem :D I've not seen a self-identifying Liverpool fan since I visited the UK 2 years ago.

Well fair enough mate. To each his own. As long as you don't preach that everyone should be like that I don't see how anyone can have a problem with that.
Live and let live is the motto.

Theonas

Scout
The rivalries today are much more intense if you compare from 50-60 years ago, probably even a bit later than that. But in the last couple of years there has come this wave of political correctness that is biting away at the tribalism that makes football fun. I don't know about other football forums because I'm only on this one, but living in Spain currently I can tell you there isn't a chance in hell that any Barca fan would have been even contemplating feeling sorry for Navas if he made a howler or for Ronaldo if he came off injured.
[/QUOTE]
Obviously it depends on perspective but from where I am, honestly, no. My perception is that there is a powerful wave of political incorrectness for the sake of being contrary. It applies to all facets of society. It got to the point where qualifying something as politically incorrect attracts so many just by virtue of it being not political correct. But I accept this might be just one side to it.

Having said that, I don't think it's a matter of political correctness or lackof for me at least. I have always sympathized with injuries and unfair suspensions like Fletcher's against Arsenal if you remember. This is especially the case when it comes to major events that you know represent a one off for the individual. Salah is an Egyptian international and he might never get to play in a WC again. It also helps that he looks like such a likable bloke that on a pure human level, you feel for him as an individual when he might be deprived from something he'd been looking forward to his entire life because of something so random. Now if it is Gerrard's slip or Terry's penalty miss, that's something entirely different.

Theonas

Scout
I couldn't agree more that social media has played a large part in the heightening of football rivalries worldwide. But...

Did you not feel the slightest bit relieved when Salah left the field? At the stage of the game Liverpool had their tails up and were largely dominating precedings, had he not left the pitch God knows how the game would have turned out.
Relief? no. Of course, I did not want Liverpool to win but it was not with the same intensity as their league run in 2014. I am not sure why. Maybe because I was younger back then or it may have something to do with the fact that I was in regular contact with a couple of Liverpool fans who were absolutely insufferable. Another factor was that I felt the whole circus around them ending their long PL drought nauseating, it was like they were entitled to it or something. Or of course it might have to do with the fact that Rogers, Suarez and Gerrard are considerably more distasteful characters than Klopp, Salah and co. I am not sure why but this occasion did not carry the same level of bitterness as their league run.

noodlehair

"It's like..."
The coming together of arms during a tussle for the ball is a common occurence. Although there is little doubt that Ramos fully intended to drag Salah to the ground, there is no way he could have predicted an injury would occur or intended that to be the outcome.
Salah seemed to be the one who locked his arm in, probably intending to draw a foul or at least make the ref think there was one. If there was any blame to place (and I don't think there was) it was with him.

I mean, it's the sort of thing that I'd expect maybe the most ridiculous/angry Liverpool fan to try and make something of, no one else. Our fans pinning blame on Ramos just smacks of this passive aggressive nonsense you get on here these days of people wanting so much to prove how impartial they can be, that they actually swing insanely in the other direction.

Frank Grimes

Relief? no. Of course, I did not want Liverpool to win but it was not with the same intensity as their league run in 2014. I am not sure why. Maybe because I was younger back then or it may have something to do with the fact that I was in regular contact with a couple of Liverpool fans who were absolutely insufferable. Another factor was that I felt the whole circus around them ending their long PL drought nauseating, it was like they were entitled to it or something. Or of course it might have to do with the fact that Rogers, Suarez and Gerrard are considerably more distasteful characters than Klopp, Salah and co. I am not sure why but this occasion did not carry the same level of bitterness as their league run.
That season we had Moyes and were getting pelters all season. Liverpool stuffed us in OT and thought they were going to win the league, so to see them slip up was beautiful.

Theonas

Scout
That season we had Moyes and were getting pelters all season. Liverpool stuffed us in OT and thought they were going to win the league, so to see them slip up was beautiful.
That's a fair point. Maybe the shock of us being so bad was still more difficult to adjust to that celebrating a rival's failure gave a much needed doze of pain relief.

Random Task

WW Lynchpin
I was absolutely convinced they had the title in the bag until this historic moment...

I'd have to agree, their latest excursion in the CL wasn't nearly as nerve-wracking as that title run.