The Fourth RedCafe Sheep Draft

oneniltothearsenal

Caf's Milton Friedman and Arse Aficionado
Scout
Supports
Brazil, Arsenal,LA Aztecs
You would still get a sheep though because the second/third/fourth/etc whose bids failed have to goto the next round. The highest bidder gets the player though which I am assuming keeps the pool more open as this first round is going to block some big countries.

Chesterlestreet

Man of the crowd
You would still get a sheep though because the second/third/fourth/etc whose bids failed have to goto the next round.
Yes, but the money would nevertheless decrease the total number of sheep - or so you'd think. Rather than moving both (or all) managers on to the next round, it leaves one of them with his man.

Normal style:

Manager A: Messadona
Manager B: Messadona

Result: Both lose out and get sheeped.

Bidding style:

Manager A: Messadona 23m
Manager B: Messadona 24m

Result: Manager B gets Messadona and Manager A gets a sheep.

Last edited:

P-Nut

fan of well-known French footballer Fabinho
You would still get a sheep though because the second/third/fourth/etc whose bids failed have to goto the next round. The highest bidder gets the player though which I am assuming keeps the pool more open as this first round is going to block some big countries.
Stain revealed he was only joking about the countries becoming blocked throughout the draft

Cal?

CR7 fan
Fair point. Budget use only applies in Pick 1 @The Stain.
So we only have to submit a bid for the pick 1 of each round? If we fail in that round, we get to go to pick 2 and bid nothing?

Also if 2 players bid for the same player, 1 gets his choice and the other goes to pick 2 or gets a sheep?

antohan

gets aroused by tagline boobs
Yes, but the money would nevertheless decrease the total number of sheep - or so you'd think. Rather than moving both (or all) managers on to the next round, it leaves one of them with his man.

Normal style:

Manager A: Messadona
Manager B: Messadona

Result: Both lose out and get sheeped.

Bidding style:

Manager A: Messadona 23m
Manager B: Messadona 24m

Result: Manager B gets Messadona and Manager A gets a sheep.
He had a point though. It was designed thinking this way about Pick 1. In a Pick 3 it's best not to have anything that avoids a block and two sheep instead of just the 1.

antohan

So we only have to submit a bid for the pick 1 of each round? If we fail in that round, we get to go to pick 2 and bid nothing?

Also if 2 players bid for the same player, 1 gets his choice and the other goes to pick 2 or gets a sheep?
Pick 1 only, for the other two normal rules apply. You move to Pick 2, sheep only after unsuccessful Pick 3.

P-Nut

fan of well-known French footballer Fabinho
Pick 1 only, for the other two normal rules apply. You move to Pick 2, sheep only after unsuccessful Pick 3.
Yeah makes much more sense now. Will still limit the amount of sheep because you'd have 2 players moving to round 2 instead of the 1 you will now get.

The Stain

Soccer Manager's Highwayman
Yeah makes much more sense now. Will still limit the amount of sheep because you'd have 2 players moving to round 2 instead of the 1 you will now get.
Dude, don't worry about not getting sheep :)

antohan

Ffs anto, you pick now of all times to go ahead with that format!
What's the problem? Didn't you sign up?

BTW, anyone can join until 11AM GMT tomorrow (I know @Balu was keen on being messed around with riddles).

Moby

Dick
What's the problem? Didn't you sign up?
I have been begging you for ages to do this, ever since I did the first sheep draft actually, while I was sitting idle in front of a screen and you pick the time when I'm balls deep into work. :annoyed:

I did sign up but won't really be that active.

Enigma_87

You know who
Didn't expect for the first round to happen today. I saw the OP well done guys! Sounds like fun.

I'll read through it and submit in couple of mins, straightforward choice really.

The Stain

Too sleepy to read OP properly. Tomorrow.

Do we need to submit money for Country pick too?
Everyone will have a different country or sheep at the end of it so there'll be no clashes.

When you submit your first pick of each round you can choose to bid to secure your chosen pick in case someone else picks the same player. You can only make a bid with your first pick of each round.

No bids can be made or cards used in R1.

Chesterlestreet

Man of the crowd
With this many managers involved - and the new match system - I wouldn't be surprised if someone drops out sooner or later.

Chesterlestreet

Man of the crowd
Depends how it pans out, though. You could look at it two ways, I guess: Either the added difficulty (it's harder to avoid sheep the more managers there are) makes it more fun - or, well, the opposite. It gets too sheepy, and the sheepiness gets tedious.

Impossible to say for sure until we get going, though.

One thing I'm very unsure about it how wise it is to let the managers nominate sheep. It could be loads of 'em, and it could take forever - with the inevitable arguing about how sheepy the sheep should be.

I'd rather have the Evil Committe just hand out the sheep - I don't really see the upside to letting the managers have a say in it.

PS If it's a work load issue, just invite more neutrals to join the sheep committee.

Moby

Dick
It gets too sheepy, and the sheepiness gets tedious.
Yeah, that's my worry. Plus this isnt a regular sheep draft, it's a format I discussed with anto long ago which is far, far tougher and going by this first round I have a decent on what's about to come, plus I'm sure he has added more components and twists to it. There'll be a few with multiple sheep half way through it, so it could get drab.

16 managers would have kept a good balance of strategy and surprise but whatever, just roll on now.

R1P1

The Stain

R1P1 - Pick a country:

P-Nut - FAIL (Holland)
Moby - FAIL (Holland)
Enigma - FAIL (Holland)
Raees - FAIL (Chile)

Chesterlestreet - PASS
Downcast - FAIL (Uruguay)
Skizzo/Annah - PASS
Joga Bonito - PASS
Bepo - PASS

Invictus - FAIL (Chile)
Gio - FAIL (France)
harms - FAIL (Chile)
EAP - FAIL (Uruguay)

DavidG - PASS
Tuppet - PASS

onenil - FAIL (Chile)
mazhar - FAIL (France)
Boris - FAIL (Missed deadline)
Cal? - FAIL (Portugal)
Pat_Mustard - FAIL (Portugal)
crappy - FAIL (joined R1P2)

MJJ - FAIL (joined R1P2)
RedTiger - FAIL (joined R1P2)

Block list (R1 only): Chile, France, Uruguay, Portugal, Holland.

R1P2 Deadline at 6PM GMT.

Managers with a PASS are welcome to send us their picks.

Last edited:

Cal?

CR7 fan
R1P1 - Pick a country:

P-Nut - FAIL (Holland)
Moby - FAIL (Holland)
Enigma - FAIL (Holland)
Raees - FAIL (Chile)

Chesterlestreet - PASS
Downcast - FAIL (Uruguay)
Skizzo/Annah - PASS
Joga Bonito - PASS