The genius of Marcus Rashford

TheLittleOne

""
Truth with Rashford is: Yes he was handled wrongly by the club and should have never been made the highest paid star player of the Team. He should have been a squad player who, when in form and on fire, can help the Team a lot but also should be taken out of the firing line when having one of his bad patches. (I'm 100% sure Ferguson would have recognised that and used him differently as we have done).

Buuut: The treatment he gets from this fanbase has been toxic for years. As soon as he has 1-2 not so good games the knives are out. And yes, it was like that from the very beginning where he, after his sensational start, soon had to prove to be "good enough" and not a "three months wonder."

Guy plays football on the highest level and under an enormous amount of pressure to perform since age 18. All of this while being inconsistent in his decision making and technical ability and having average teammates and all sorts of coaches around him. Therefore, he deserves respect for delivering the numbers he has done. Bot a lot of our toxic fans cannot wait for the next wrong decision to shout all sorts of insults at him. And claim that he is "everything wrong at the club" and "we will never win the League with him." True support looks different for me. Rashford is obviously aware of all this and when he then hits back a bit with a celebration gesture the same fans feel offended about it.

It's very sad that the relationship between the fans and a youth product who has scored a buckload of goals for the club has turned toxic like this. Rashford has his fault and played his part in it, but this fanbase is definitely to blame for it as well.
Don't forget that he is Championship Level at best.
Quite astonishing to be involved in that many goals for such a poor player.
Im sorry but this kind of comments are highly disingenuous. There are a lot of Rashford critics and only very few go as overboard as calling him championship level or criticizing him for doing actually good deeds for children. What is wrong about calling him out for making the same stupid mistakes over and over again or not giving his all. Im astonished by the kind of excuse he gets by your lot. All i ask for is giving your all and be ready to sacrifice yourself for the team and he doesnt strike me as that kind of guy and his output is not enough, apart from purple patches, to warrant this behaviour.(he acts as if hes Ronaldo and im sorry he'snot, not even close) This doesnt mean he is the only one who fails to do his job and it also doesnt mean that any of the united supporters wouldnt wish he would actually play good. Those "you want him to fail" comments are stupid and embarrassing.

Last edited:

Redstain

If things were different and he played in light blue across the city under a different bald genius our fan base, especially the online contingent would be creaming their crackers over him.
Marcus has consistently been our best player and carried this team (along with Bruno) since his debut.
He had one bad season a few years ago where he was playing with multiple injury issues, and personal issues were also affecting his game and certain factions in the support have never forgiven him. Its pathetic.
It’s no wonder if he’s had enough, it’s been constant for years and it’s understandable if it’s ground him down.
Agreed, scored 30 goals last season. That's not a number for a mediocre player or one that is the main problem with what's proving to be an average manager.

van Nistelrooy

He's a loser.

Everyone talks about fulfilling his potential and being a great talent. In reality, he plays for Man Utd, where no matter how bad we are, we'll always have favourable fixtures through the season to boost the stats. Martial isn't far off the total goals Rashford has and he's played fewer games and far fewer minutes.

I really pity our fanbase in believing Rashford will one day reach this so-called potential and be the future of our club. Our standards have fallen so low!

Vidooq

Truth with Rashford is: Yes he was handled wrongly by the club and should have never been made the highest paid star player of the Team. He should have been a squad player who, when in form and on fire, can help the Team a lot but also should be taken out of the firing line when having one of his bad patches. (I'm 100% sure Ferguson would have recognised that and used him differently as we have done).

Buuut: The treatment he gets from this fanbase has been toxic for years. As soon as he has 1-2 not so good games the knives are out. And yes, it was like that from the very beginning where he, after his sensational start, soon had to prove to be "good enough" and not a "three months wonder."

Guy plays football on the highest level and under an enormous amount of pressure to perform since age 18. All of this while being inconsistent in his decision making and technical ability and having average teammates and all sorts of coaches around him. Therefore, he deserves respect for delivering the numbers he has done. Bot a lot of our toxic fans cannot wait for the next wrong decision to shout all sorts of insults at him. And claim that he is "everything wrong at the club" and "we will never win the League with him." True support looks different for me. Rashford is obviously aware of all this and when he then hits back a bit with a celebration gesture the same fans feel offended about it.

It's very sad that the relationship between the fans and a youth product who has scored a buckload of goals for the club has turned toxic like this. Rashford has his fault and played his part in it, but this fanbase is definitely to blame for it as well.
Yeah, lets act like he doesnt duck from headers, pulls out from 50/50 challenges, and does not track his runner at least few times a game. Lets forget the fact that he wasn't arsed to run under Ragnick, and is always shoulders down if he is played on the right wing, instead of his preferred position.

I can partially uderstand bad form, but I have zero sympathy when an academy graduate who should instill United DNA into everyone, can not do the basic, and that is putting the effort, putting a shift.

I would be embarrassed with all these excuses you are throwing around, as we can make a case for everyone in the squad. There is something called constructive criticism, and you seem to have an issue with that as well.

Wilt

Never imagined I’d see the words ‘genius’ and ‘Rashford‘ in the same sentence.

tentan

Poor man's poster.
Never imagined I’d see the words ‘genius’ and ‘Rashford‘ in the same sentence.
Genius in the way he somehow got United to give him a huge contract despite being an average player

United888

His goalscoring record and his status being brought up into youth system is what make any sporting director, the board, CEO, and owner of this club will want the manager to build a team around this guy. I'm certain he won't be sold in the next two years at least unless if he clashes with the manager.

amolbhatia50k

Sneaky bum time - Vaccination status: dozed off
I think he’s fecking mint.

How can you be a united fan and not like him? Are some of you lot okay?
Imagine questioning the sanity of people not rating Marcus Rashford. He’s decent - sometimes good, sometimes shit.

RaddyRed

Supports
Henrik Larsson
I would love to know the real reasons why he has downed tools at certain points in his United career.

Although he does have weak side to his game, he is definitely one of our best players on form, but the lack of effort and sheer lack of interest is very concerning.

If it is just loss of form then fair play, but from the outside looking in (which means we are all guessing) it comes across as a terrible attitude and lack of effort for the club. If it is the latter, I really hope the club move him on.

Physiocrat

Has No Mates
No- I hoped so too, but during the second half he was in with a great chance to set up Hojlund but instead chose to try and score himself, running headlong into trouble as per usual.
Yup. Surely he must have been called out by ETH or at least RR for his terrible, selfish decision making.

SteveCoppellFan

Rashford is a good player but will never be a great player.

Great players are mentally strong and even if they are not fully focused they will still put in a decent performance.

Rashford sulks and lets his performances nose dive, he's been like this since the start of the season, he just does not have that winning mentality that great players have.

His hand gesture to the fans after scoring vrs Spurs just typifies what these type of players are all about, they just do not accept their poor form is down to them, its always someone else's fault.

But the great thing about being a footballer is you have 100% control on how you prepare for games and the effort you can put in every single game.

noodlehair

"It's like..."
We really do have the worst set of fans in the entire world on this forum.

Half of you must refuse to cheer or celebrate when Rashford scores a goal or contributes to a win, which actually would explain why it's been so miserable for you supporting United the last 5 years, since that would leave us with 0 trophies and probably playing in the Championship.

Probably only a few weeks before some of the more impressive muppets go back to pretending Sancho is better than him.

Pronewbie

Peep
We should be expecting far more from a supposed world class talent in this day and age.

I'd take a 25 - 26 year old Nani over Rashford even after considering that it was a different era in football. Nani was also considered frustrating to watch back in the day but Rashford is on a completely different level.

If there's 1 thing about society - the more you're paid, the less the public want to hear or care about your problems. Many struggle with that reality, unfortunately.

Jeppers7

Pogfamily Mafia
He’s a strange case because he goes hot and cold, and seems to stay cold for eternity. When he’s hot he is a brilliant player, I don’t care what anyone says. Last season he was brilliant. I get the feeling that he would have been a better player if not for his fight against the government. I could be way off, but it just seems to have gone to his head in some way. But on the flip side it was a remarkable thing that he did and we should be proud of him for that.

Watching him currently regularly makes my blood boil once again, it’s how he is shite rather than just that he is at times, that is infuriating.

astracrazy

We should be expecting far more from a supposed world class talent in this day and age.

I'd take a 25 - 26 year old Nani over Rashford even after considering that it was a different era in football. Nani was also considered frustrating to watch back in the day but Rashford is on a completely different level.

If there's 1 thing about society - the more you're paid, the less the public want to hear or care about your problems. Many struggle with that reality, unfortunately.
He has never been at that level, and never will be. Not even close.

Annihilate Now!

...or later, I'm not fussy
Scout
Lads starting to find a bit of form (4 g/a in his last 4 games) - still a lot of work to go but he's showing something at least, and this is whilst playing in a side with no structure or cohesion of any sort.

Whats funny is, he seeingly has no confidence lost in his finishing - its just the dribbling where he seems to second guess himself.

Bright_Eyes

I would love to know the real reasons why he has downed tools at certain points in his United career.

Although he does have weak side to his game, he is definitely one of our best players on form, but the lack of effort and sheer lack of interest is very concerning.

If it is just loss of form then fair play, but from the outside looking in (which means we are all guessing) it comes across as a terrible attitude and lack of effort for the club. If it is the latter, I really hope the club move him on.
I don't know if he's downed tools a bunch. I feel he just isn't a great player. He plays a lot of kick and run to get past defenders into a shooting or passing position but it rarely works. He's not great at interplay either and just relies on his pace a lot. Better on the counter. He's got a good shot ..sometimes. He goes through hot patches, rarely, and other than that he more often than not frustrates. When he gets the ball, I don't expect much to happen other than losing possession or recycling of the ball. Sadly though, he's our best winger (if Garnacho keeps improving though he'll soon overtake him).

norm87cro

If he was part of that era he wouldnt get a kick and be shipped off to QPR.
And what excactly made the Neville brothers so great except being Mancs? Or Valdes at Barca? Or Fletcher ffs? Rashford is a much more talented player than any of the mentioned. SAF would have probably used him around 20-25 games in a 38 game season we would win trophies and everybody would be happy

Last edited:

Lee565

There Is definitely a class player there, the fact that he can have a poor game overall but then walk away with a goal or assist still Is what you usually see from top players, I could imagine him thriving in side that has good attacking set up, something missing from united for a long time with ten hag being the worst attacking wise since van gaal which says a lot when the other managers were out of depth ole who relied on counter attack and past it pragmatic mourinho.

Lentwood

Show me all these other mediocre players that average a goal or assist almost every second league game for 260 games?
Marcus Rashford 259 / 119 / 2.17
Callum Wilson - 215 / 103 / 1.97
Ollie Watkins - 130 / 70 / 1.85
Ivan Toney - 68 / 41 / 1.65
Anthony Martial - 209 / 91 / 2.29

Then...

Harry Kane - 320 / 259 / 1.23
Mo Salah - 251 / 220 / 1.14
Erling Haaland - 50 / 62 / 0.8
KdB - 244 / 168 / 1.45
Son - 288 / 172 / 1.67

I just want to make my point really, really clear here and it's this...

I really did not want to dive headfirst into the stats route here because as @amolbhatia50k replied to you in another post, stats are literally all Rashford has - by which I mean his all round game is so awful its literally only his pure output that is of any value to the team. If he's not scoring or assisting he's absolutely useless.

So in that respect, by going down the stats route, we play into the hands of people who will tie us up in knots by saying "ah but this player did X, or that player did Y" because we all know football is about much more than stats alone.

What I aim to show ONLY with the above is that even his stats, which are his one and only possible defence angle (because watching him tells you he's not an elite player) do not present an elite footballer. They present an OK one, who has been over-hyped, arguably failed by the club who should have protected him, and who in-turn has become jaded and arrogant.

With those stats, I'd be expecting a huge contribution in at least one other area. Excellent work rate. Excellent pass and move in tight space. Excellent at holding the ball-up/link-up play etc...but he does/offers nothing else.

Any decent United team of years gone by would have had him coming off the bench for 20 mins at the end and playing in cup games/squad rotation games. He's not 'rubbish', he's just not that good.

Pogue Mahone

The caf's Camus.
"like a man in silk pyjamas shooting pigeons

Then...

Harry Kane - 320 / 259 / 1.23
Mo Salah - 251 / 220 / 1.14
Erling Haaland - 50 / 62 / 0.8
KdB - 244 / 168 / 1.45
Son - 288 / 172 / 1.67

I just want to make my point really, really clear here and it's this...

I really did not want to dive headfirst into the stats route here because as @amolbhatia50k replied to you in another post, stats are literally all Rashford has - by which I mean his all round game is so awful its literally only his pure output that is of any value to the team. If he's not scoring or assisting he's absolutely useless.

So in that respect, by going down the stats route, we play into the hands of people who will tie us up in knots by saying "ah but this player did X, or that player did Y" because we all know football is about much more than stats alone.

What aim to show ONLY with the above is that even his stats, which are his one and only possible defence angle (because watching him tells you he's not an elite player) do not present an elite footballer. They present an OK one, who has been over-hyped, arguably failed by the club who should have protected him, and who in-turn has become jaded and arrogant.
Intersting but I need to understand those stats better. Is it goal or assist combined? Divided by the number of games?

How does he compare to those players purely as a goalscorer?

Be also good to see how he holds up against a player everyone agrees didn't cut it as a top PL striker, Lukaku. And maybe some United strikers of the past? Rooney, Ruud, RvP?

Apologies for giving you homework!

Jeysus, so you’ve just compared our wide attacker to centre forwards. Good one. Only one of which is averaging that rate over anything like the amount of games Rashford has since he was 18.

Wilt

Scoring against crap teams in cup games counts for nothing.

Premier League goals should always be the benchmark ….259 appearances / 80 goals / 3.23 average

iHicksy

He's a loser.

Everyone talks about fulfilling his potential and being a great talent. In reality, he plays for Man Utd, where no matter how bad we are, we'll always have favourable fixtures through the season to boost the stats. Martial isn't far off the total goals Rashford has and he's played fewer games and far fewer minutes.

I really pity our fanbase in believing Rashford will one day reach this so-called potential and be the future of our club. Our standards have fallen so low!
I keep reminding people he's been at the club as a starter for 8 YEARS. 8 Years and we're still saying "ohhh but one day he'll come good, remember that 1 good season last year?".

Must be a club with fans of Martial, Lingard etc that loves mediocrity

Intersting but I need to understand those stats better. Is it goal or assist combined? Divided by the number of games?

How does he compare to those players purely as a goalscorer?

Be also good to see how he holds up against a player everyone agrees didn't cut it as a top PL striker, Lukaku. And maybe some United strikers of the past? Rooney, Ruud, RvP?

Apologies for giving you homework!
It’s combined goals & assists.

Lukaku’s PL record is:
278 / 156 / 1.78

Rooney
491 / 311 / 1.58

RVP
280 / 197 / 1.42

Nani (wouldn’t be hated according to @amolbhatia50k)
147 / 69 / 2.13

amolbhatia50k

Sneaky bum time - Vaccination status: dozed off
It’s combined goals & assists.

Lukaku’s PL record is:
278 / 156 / 1.78

Rooney
491 / 311 / 1.58

RVP
280 / 197 / 1.42

Nani (wouldn’t be hated according to @amolbhatia50k)
147 / 69 / 2.13
I didn’t realise Nani was a striker.

Being a Manchester United player these days seems to make being hated normal now. However having someone with twice the technical ability of your other wingers makes their case for being revered pretty strong. It’s like Mainoo walking in and reminding everyone what a highly technical CM can be like.