The Greatest Footballer of All Time

Fortitude

TV/Monitor Expert
Scout
Just living on Italy.

Facts are that during his time there Lazio, Roma, Milano and Juve won titles, so there were four teams who did that, but not his Inter. Sure, Juve might have 'fixed' a match, but this doesn't change things.

When he went on Madrid, they had just won UCL, but they were never able to reach a final after they got him (and only managed a league title). Same about Barca, Milano, PSV when he finished below Real, Inter and Ajax.

For someone who gets mentioned many times in these debates, it is a really shit record. And also winning a single European Golden Boot on his career, despite the fact that he played No.9 during all the time in Europe and never had to go against Messi/Ronaldo deserves negative points in my book.
What? you're saying fixed games don't change things?

Revan

Assumptionman
What? you're saying fixed games don't change things?
I am saying that fixing one match (if that really happened) doesn't mean that is alright that Ronaldo won a single league title in 10+ years in Europe. And during his years on Italy, not only Juve won titles, but also Roma, Lazio and Milano, so likely Juve wasn't fixing the league (like they did a few years later). Four different teams won the title there, but not Ronaldo.

Stack

Leave Women's Football Alone!!!
Actually, there is something true on his words. While it had the best team of his time in Santos, and a few other good teams, it also had a lot of trash team. It was a regional league after all, so quite unbalanced.

Pele's record for Brazil and his record against European teams (although on friendlies, but still serious matches) compensate about it though.
The Brazilian leagues produced a production line of the worlds best players during his time. If the leagues were this so called hooror show they would not have been capable of producing so much world class players.

Scuttler

Lads I respect all your views.

Will just say we are lucky to have Messi still playing some wonderful football.
Couldn't give a flying one about Messi. He plays for both Barcelona and Argentina and I honestly couldn't be fecked if he was to hang up his boots not tomorrow but rather today.

My vote goes to Best.

Fortitude

TV/Monitor Expert
Scout
I am saying that fixing one match (if that really happened) doesn't mean that is alright that Ronaldo won a single league title in 10+ years in Europe. And during his years on Italy, not only Juve won titles, but also Roma, Lazio and Milano, so likely Juve wasn't fixing the league (like they did a few years later). Four different teams won the title there, but not Ronaldo.
So you don't think fixed matches change perspective? History doesn't care for anything but the winners, but for those that were around at the time, there will be asterisks next to 'winners' of the time.

Aside from that, in your '10+ years' have you factored in injuries and recovery? It's all well and good throwing a blanket number like that out there, but the circumstances should also be brought to light, too.

Murray3007

For me its the Brazilian Ronaldo, never seen Pele or Maradona so hard to compare them, Ronaldinho a close second as well.

harms

Shining Star of Paektu Mountain
Staff
I agree on Ronaldo with @Revan. He really has an underwhelming trophy cabinet for someone who is considered as one of the best players in history. Many project his youth form on his full career and he certainly gets romanticized a lot. But mostly he is in the consideration because he is probably the most complete out-and-out striker - along with Van Basten, probably. Speed, balance, close control, dribbling, finishing, long distance shooting, headers... He is for strikers what Pele is for all footballers - the most balanced elite version of a player.

For me, he is in the tier three, although he and van Basten should've been even higher if not for the injuries :(

1. Pele, Messi, Maradona

2. Cruyff, Di Stefano, Beckenbauer

3. Platini, Puskas, C. Ronaldo, Eusebio, Best, Zico, Garrincha, Ronaldo, van Basten, Baresi, Figueroa, Matthaus

4. Zidane, Charlton, Xavi, Iniesta, Didi, Falcao, Moore, Rijkaard, Maldini, Scirea, Müller, Ronaldinho

Šjor Bepo

Wout is love, Wout is life; all hail Wout!
From the limited games I have seen of him, 2 (outside of world cup) stood out to me -

Santos vs Benfica - Probably Pele's best game, I remember reading somewhere that he even said so.
Santos vs Penarol - Copa Libertados 62 final, was a great 3 legged affair. Penarol was no pushover and were defending champions and had a great team.

Then in world cups pretty much all elimination games were good although his performance in 58 final is the one I like best.
cheers tuppy :)

broccoli

Supports
FCPorto
To take this off a little bit of a tangent, did anyone see the Liverpool lads with their tennis ball juggling competition? Some of the better players weren't what you'd call high ly skilled or comfortable. This is Maradona...

The head to shoulder with the football is quite impressive, he does a shoulder to shoulder in the Life is Life video that is remarkable really, he's not even looking. In this one I think that's a tennis ball he's semi back-heeling 20 feet up in the air & then doing it again. The Rubik's cube is right at the end.

The Messi fans won't have much trouble finding the Orange juggling, Diego has that covered also.

Not super relevant but the skills & spatial awareness gap between the players the thread is talking about & even very good pros is huge probably. Makes you think doesn't it? Well it does me, anyway.

Just a follow up to what someone said earlier about Pele's dribbling was it? Being light ahead in thought & knowing what was happening.
He treats the ball like you should treat a woman, with tender and delicate touches. I've been watching Pele and Maradona documentaries since last night and it gets me a tear in the eyes because they were so good, larger than life players.

Sparky10Legend

Anyone who has CR7 better than Messi , let alone the goat, really does watch a different game to me.

Messi scores almost as many goals, creates goals for himself as opposed to being a flat track, on a plate, bully.

Seriously, i sincerely, wouldn't have CR7 in my top 10.

These days CR7 is just a better version of RVN, no shame in that but you wouldn't compare him to Messi just like you wouldn't compare RVN to Henry.

GlastonSpur

Also disliked on an Aston Villa forum
Supports
Spurs
I'm surprised that Jimmy Greaves hasn't been mentioned in this thread: the all-time leading goalscorer across Europe’s top five leagues.

Ronaldo may be soon to surpass this, but look at how many decades it will have taken for Greaves's record to have been broken.

Champagne Football

hahaha nice WUM
Yep was the weekend beer talking. It is true that Messi would have been butchered back in the 70's or 80's. Maradonna had plenty of leg breaker challenges in his day. You can understand how a footballer would have been more prone to alcoholism in those days. It was basically a mix of MMA and football in those days. The reality is that there has never been a footballer who for a 5 or 6 year period has been able to beat 4 defenders in every 2 or 3 games to score a wonder goal apart from Messi. Ronaldinho did it for 2 seasons before deciding that the nightclub life was more fun. Fat Ronaldo did it for about 2 seasons before injury. CR7 is definitely up there but he doesn't have that ability to beat 4 players to score a Golazo every couple of games. He's a bit of a Pele in that sense. A different type of goalscoring genius. But I'd have a Messi, Ronaldinho, Maradona ahead of a Pele or a CR7 because there's nothing more exciting in the game than a player who can beat 4 defenders while finishing it off with a Golazo. Those are the kinds of players that inspire the next generation. Ryan Giggs is probably the main reason I became a die-hard at 12 years of age when before I was just a fan who watched the odd game with Strachan/Robson/Stapleton/Whiteside/Chocy/Sparkey/McGrath etc

We need an rvn

You could argue the case for Gazza

couldn't resist
in that case you could argue the case for Ravel as well. Supremely gifted but wasted their talent.

My pick has to be Maldini. A one club man playing 25 years in the first XI, 900+ appearances for club, 126 appearances for country, 26 major club trophies (including 5 CL), a leader, and legend...and those eyes!

harms

Shining Star of Paektu Mountain
Staff
I'm surprised that Jimmy Greaves hasn't been mentioned in this thread: the all-time leading goalscorer across Europe’s top five leagues.

Ronaldo may be soon to surpass this, but look at how many decades it will have taken for Greaves's record to have been broken.
Kane has a fair chance of surpassing them both if we're being objective

Red Dreams

Across the Universe....from Old Trafford.
Some years back we had the same dicussion. I remember some posters from my dad's generation saying the greatest footballer Ever was Duncan Edwards. And a little below him...Best. Then Pele, Maradona and Messi and others.
The funny thing is Edwards has been mentioned as the greatest by so many non United supporters. Similarly with Best. Of course Edwards is little known outside of these shores.

Remember Jopub a Gooner agreeing with me about Best and Maradona being better than Messi.
The thing is these discussions are so subjective. I understand most Brazilians consider Garincha a greater player than Pele.
Many including Best rated DeStefano very highly then.

Think we are lucky to have seen so many great footballers. These are fun discussions.

Messi if not for injuries to a couple of teammates would have got that World Cup medal...no disrespect to Germany.

GlastonSpur

Also disliked on an Aston Villa forum
Supports
Spurs
Kane has a fair chance of surpassing them both if we're being objective
You have a fair chance of making a decent and relevant post if we're being subjective.

AndyJ1985

For me there's very little room for discussion. In my mind Messi stands alone as the greatest of them all. Not just the amount of goals, but the quality of the goals, the quality of the opposition he's scored against, the assists, the quality of the assists, the skills, the dribbling, the vision, the consistency. I don't care that he hasn't won a world cup; for me the champions league is a stronger competition and the pinnacle of football, and I strongly believe Barcelona would beat any international team in history.

RedPed

Whatabouter.
Nobody will ever beat Diego Maradona. The way he tore it up in World Cup Mexico was just something else. Why Messi has not been able to put in a shift like that is a bit bewildering but Maradona is the best for me, closely followed by Pele (probably on par).

Stack

Yep was the weekend beer talking. It is true that Messi would have been butchered back in the 70's or 80's. Maradonna had plenty of leg breaker challenges in his day. You can understand how a footballer would have been more prone to alcoholism in those days. It was basically a mix of MMA and football in those days. The reality is that there has never been a footballer who for a 5 or 6 year period has been able to beat 4 defenders in every 2 or 3 games to score a wonder goal apart from Messi. Ronaldinho did it for 2 seasons before deciding that the nightclub life was more fun. Fat Ronaldo did it for about 2 seasons before injury. CR7 is definitely up there but he doesn't have that ability to beat 4 players to score a Golazo every couple of games. He's a bit of a Pele in that sense. A different type of goalscoring genius. But I'd have a Messi, Ronaldinho, Maradona ahead of a Pele or a CR7 because there's nothing more exciting in the game than a player who can beat 4 defenders while finishing it off with a Golazo. Those are the kinds of players that inspire the next generation. Ryan Giggs is probably the main reason I became a die-hard at 12 years of age when before I was just a fan who watched the odd game with Strachan/Robson/Stapleton/Whiteside/Chocy/Sparkey/McGrath etc
Messi amazes me. I completely get what you are saying about players who can do something special week in week out. I love football because of the special players, not because the team I follow wins things.

Moby

Dick
Messi amazes me. I completely get what you are saying about players who can do something special week in week out. I love football because of the special players, not because the team I follow wins things.
Same here. However the statement that Pelé wasn't good at constantly scoring amazing goals is ignorant at best, in fact of all the players I've watched he's the one who has scored the fewest amount of 'regular' goals. Almost all his goals have a moment of magic with either beating a plethora of defenders or an insane skill move. The guy you quoted basically doesn't look for much beyond dribbling which obviously isn't everything for an attacking player. And even in that, the fact that he equated Pelé to current day CR7 basically says everything he knows about these players.

Doing this at the age of 17 in a World Cup Knockout Game is pretty special, for anyone.

I repeat. That is a 17 year old there.

Stack

Same here. However the statement that Pelé wasn't good at constantly scoring amazing goals is ignorant at best, in fact of all the players I've watched he's the one who has scored the fewest amount of 'regular' goals. Almost all his goals have a moment of magic with either beating a plethora of defenders or an insane skill move. The guy you quoted basically doesn't look for much beyond dribbling which obviously isn't everything for an attacking player. And even in that, the fact that he equated Pelé to current day CR7 basically says everything he knows about these players.

Doing this at the age of 17 in a World Cup Knockout Game is pretty special, for anyone.

I repeat. That is a 17 year old there.
Your preaching to the converted.

RoyH1

No one I've seen is Maradona's equal. The skills of Messi but could make everyone about him play better. He took a meh Argentina side to 2 World Cup finals and won one of them. And he made Napoli double Italian champion back when the Serie A was the best league in the world.

Pele, Best and di Stefano were before my time.

Ekkie Thump

Supports
Leeds United
Possibly the most overrated goal of all time. Up there in the overrated stakes with Banks' save, Moore's tackle and Bergkamp v Argentina.
The one that's rated highly is this one from the final:

17 years old, world cup final.

Last edited:

Zlaatan

Parody Account
This is not a dig at Pele but the more highlights I see of him the more amazed I am by the claims that it was more difficult to score back then. He might have been a god among men at the time but just have a look at the defense.. and not just from the guys who are busy being embarrassed by Pele. A pub league team today is more organized than that lot.

oneniltothearsenal

Caf's Milton Friedman and Arse Aficionado
Scout
Supports
Brazil, Arsenal,LA Aztecs
No one I've seen is Maradona's equal. The skills of Messi but could make everyone about him play better. He took a meh Argentina side to 2 World Cup finals and won one of them. And he made Napoli double Italian champion back when the Serie A was the best league in the world.
While I definitely rate Maradona, I am not sure I would call a side that has Argentina's consensus two greatest defenders of all time in Passarella and Ruggeri and midfield/attackers that include Bochini, Burruchaga and Valdano as a "meh" side. Maradona didn't even score in the 3-2 final over Germany. Also don't underrate the other two of Ma-Gi-Ca and Carnevale made some big contributions as well.

Reactions: Duafc