The Guardian - Manchester United to sack Erik ten Hag after the FA Cup Final

Status
Not open for further replies.

DomesticTadpole

Doom-monger obsessed with Herrera & the M.E.N.
Should have been done ages ago, instead they have dithered and dithered and are now letting him be hung out to dry in front of the watching world. The club is partly to blame for the situation we are in.

V.O.

Last Man Standing finalist 2019/20
It's a shame it hasn't worked out, and he's had plenty go against him, but he hasn't helped himself for a second.

Just carried on with the same, suicidal midfield shape all season, no matter how obvious it was that literally any team we played from League Two on up could walk through us at will. Even if that system was somehow magically brilliant with the first XI all available, you have to be more adaptable than that.

Stobzilla

Official Team Perv
Hard to say where it all went wrong for the manager of the worst coached team of the last 14 months with seemingly no personal skills or Talent ID.

He even hired Steve McClaren ffs!

Adamsk7

This is all awful timing. Hope it’s Tuchel or Poch - we can’t go with McKenna.

YikesSchmeics

It's a shame it hasn't worked out, and he's had plenty go against him, but he hasn't helped himself for a second.

Just carried on with the same, suicidal midfield shape all season, no matter how obvious it was that literally any team we played from League Two on up could walk through us at will. Even if that system was somehow magically brilliant with the first XI all available, you have to be more adaptable than that.
This was his undoing for me. The injuries, the ridiculously long drawn out takeover saga, the general state of the club, the lack of money for cover in certain positions etc etc, all of those things went against him, but he had a huge role in making us ridiculously easy to play against. It's a pet peeve of mine when managers insist on a system that they don't have the players for, and that is the case here.

And all of that said, it's just so typical of this club, that on the eve of the cup final is when this breaks. Ridiculous.

Blood Mage

It's 100% the correct decision but what a fecking joke briefing this before a final. Basically handing the cup to City.

YouOnlyLiveTwice

So the next manager will freshen things up a bit until it at falls apart again…rinse and repeat.
I feel that, evidence backs up that this is likely how it will go. But with all the changes to the backroom staff i would say we have reasons to believe we can get out of this cycle and actually progress as a club.

That is at least how i look at it :)

OleGunnar20

Shame, I had high hopes when he first came in based on his work at Ajax, but it just has not worked out.

I do hope we move him on though as big changes are needed. First in the boardroom, next in the coaching team and squad.

I'd like Mckenna or Iraola personally, though Tuchel would certainly be an improvement on ETH. Big no to Poch.

hobbers

Remember when certain posters were mocking those with the foresight to say he should have been sacked before the end of the season, if the decision had already been made?

Now this is coming out on the eve of a cup final. Genius management by Ineos.

The Bloody-Nine

Remember when certain posters were mocking those with the foresight to say he should have been sacked before the end of the season, if the decision had already been made?

Now this is coming out on the eve of a cup final. Genius management by Ineos.
Have you considered that this is just a journalist making an educated guess on a fairly predictable outcome?

Moriarty

Nothing official from the club, just a short piece in the Guardian cited a "well-placed source." United declined to comment.

dinostar77

Not a suprise, regardless of how bad things have been, new owners tend to want to bring in their own appointments.

Any of poch, McKenna or tuchel would be good.

hobbers

Have you considered that this is just journalist making an educated guess on a fairly predictable outcome?
Not really because "United declined to comment"

If this wasnt true, why wouldnt they say so?

And even if it has zero basis in reality, it's still disrupting us hours before a cup final. Which is why Erik had to go weeks or months ago. It was obvious this would happen.

DomesticTadpole

Doom-monger obsessed with Herrera & the M.E.N.

Think he has had top deal with lots of stuff that has not helped. Which idiot thought it was a great idea bring Ronaldo back when Ole was here, that it would become Ronaldo FC. The Greenwood and Sancho situations. The club need to make sure this sort of thing does not happen again, especially if an inexperienced manager like McKenna is coming in. The have to lay the law down with the players from the start.

DJ_21

Evens winner of 'Odds or Evens 2022/2023'
Should have been done ages ago, instead they have dithered and dithered and are now letting him be hung out to dry in front of the watching world. The club is partly to blame for the situation we are in.
Ye this is stupid. Same thing happened with LVG. reports a week before the final was coming out and he even brought them up in one of his press conferences. If we was gonna let him go at the end of the season or after the final we should have at least let him know and let everyone know like West Ham did with Moyes. There’s always the case where if he wins the final do they give him another year.

Solius

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Staff
Can't blame INEOS for looking elsewhere but it still shouldn't have leaked out.

It makes sense to not wait to plan this because one game shouldn't really change anything. Anything can happen in one match but you judge them on their body of work.

Foolsgold21

More unsurprising news ever - absolutely the correct call.

Shame it is leaked the day before the final - INEOS right to be looking to move quickly next week.

A new manager will probably be in place this time next week.

Spark

Only United could manufacture the exact opposite of a new manager bounce before the most important game of the season.

The Bloody-Nine

Not really because "United declined to comment"

If this wasnt true, why wouldnt they say so?

And even if it has zero basis in reality, it's still disrupting us hours before a cup final. Which is why Erik had to go weeks or months ago. It was obvious this would happen.
Why would they comment? As I said it's fairly obvious they're going to sack him. That doesn't mean this is any kind of leak from the club.

SirAF

Ageist
The only decision they could make, I would assume they have a deal in place with a new coach.

Rustyspider13

I'll wait for official confirmation before giving my complete thoughts, but at first glance the timing seems extremely poor. The pre-match interviews are going to be about this and EtH won't be able to confirm or deny it. And I can't imagine what he is going to say to the players-"Run one last time for me lads?" The club could've easily done the "gone by mutual consent at the end of the season" at the beginning of the month.

I hope EtH goes out with 2 trophies in 2 years. That's not a bad legacy to leave behind.

hobbers

Why would they comment? As I said it's fairly obvious they're going to sack him. That doesn't mean this is any kind of leak from the club.
Doesn't matter whether it's a brief or a leak and where it comes from. He's going to get sacked and this is ruining the build up to a cup final. It should never have happened.

Either sack him when the decision is made (probably months ago) or announce he'll leave in the summer like Bayern did with Tuchel.

Woodward looked like an idiot when he did it to LVG and now Ineos will look just as stupid.

Status
Not open for further replies.