The Guardian - Manchester United to sack Erik ten Hag after the FA Cup Final

Status
Not open for further replies.

pcaming

United are an embarrassment.
If ETH had this season at any other major club, he'd be sacked...and probably a while ago. The biggest argument for keeping him is the injuries, but during the injury crisis, he and only he, chose not to set the team up in a more stable manner. He allowed the craziness to continue to the very end, which to me shows poor judgement and coaching.

Tincanalley

Turns player names into a crappy conversation
BBC spinning it differently. ‘Ten Hag doesn’t know’, and club refuse to comment. “It is being stressed they remain committed to an end-of-season review, after which a decision on Ten Hag’s future will be made”… what is going on? Psych ops from Chelsea or other opponent? Or could the Guardian have been sold a pup?
https://www.bbc.com/sport/football/articles/c033gxr2w7lo.amp

red.knight

When your excitement for a cup final is lost because the manager is getting sacked, that's when you know you're way too emotionally invested in the manager and not the club you support
I support every United manager. This leak the day before the cup final is disgraceful. I feel sorry for Ten Hag. Carrying the can for a club that is rotten to the core.

red.knight

It's dejavu all over again, innit?
Rashford and his cronies got their way AGAIN and they will get it with our next manager when performance drops. Club going nowhere for years to come. I’ll be surprised if I see United win another league title in my lifetime.

Tincanalley

Turns player names into a crappy conversation
Rashford and his cronies got their way AGAIN and they will get it with our next manager when performance drops. Club going nowhere for years to come. I’ll be surprised if I see United win another league title in my lifetime.
I agree with you… if this is true…

MadMike

How is this great timing? Our chances of winning a cup final against our rivals tomorrow have probably dipped from 5-10% to less than 2% now.
Why? It makes 0 sense.

Will the manager be less or more determined to win now? I reckon more. A title is a title and you always want to win, but knowing you'll be out of job soon you got to try and woo prospective employers. If we get thrashed out there it won't reflect well on him at all. Who'll want him? He has to salvage his pride now. To show that his sacking was maybe harsh. He wouldn't have that to worry about, if he was staying here for sure.

Would the players be any less determined? Again, no. They will want to win a title and be in Europe next season for their own careers. Those who like ETH might also have extra motivation to win it for him as a send off. And those who rejoice at ETH's sacking will have a burden lifted from their shoulders.

golden_blunder

Site admin. Manchester United fan
Staff
On 24 months the guy had to deal with the
Greenwood saga. Sancho saga. Ronaldo saga. Rashford boozy nights in Belfast. Take over saga. Media abuse. Injuries (60+ different cases). A record of 82 different defensive formations total for a single season. On the verge of getting sacked just before his second final in 2 season.

All whilst having a trophy on the cabinet, and qualifying for CL football. If we are not an embarrassing banter club then I don't know what would quantify as.
Sure we will turn blind eyes to 19 defeats, negative goal difference!, numerous negative records being broken, finishing bottom of the easiest CL group, and wasted millions of pounds on trying to make this magical land of no midfield work. Now that is embarrassing.

by the way do you think Ten Hag is the only person to face media abuse?

surf

Steinberg is a speculation and prediction merchant who mainly writes about Chelsea. He may well be right but he is just as often wrong.

MadDogg

Manchester Utd never lose, just run out of time
It's amazing how people keep saying this while not actually being able to name the bad eggs (other than Rashford). Of course that's because the large majority of this squad are players that ETH signed, players ETH promoted, players that ETH decided to play more than previous managers did, and players that ETH decided to give new contracts. All the players are also obviously trying their best, with the exception of Rashford and maybe Casemiro for a month or two. Yet it's all about the players, rather than the most obvious example of bad managerial decisions over the course of a season that I can personally remember.

golden_blunder

Staff
Oh jog on. The majority of this is on ETH.

Rashford I will give you. Pretty much everyone else has bust a gut trying to make this work

red.knight

Because his second season was a disgrace. Stop with the excuses
Another sacking and it starts all over again. And the underperforming players will stay on again. Because no other team will touch them with such huge contracts. And these very players will get the next manager the sack in 2 years time. Maybe we squeaking a 4th place next season, then 7th/8th the season after that. Rinse and repeat. Absolute joke of a club.

mu4c_20le

Steinberg is a speculation and prediction merchant who mainly writes about Chelsea. He may well be right but he is just as often wrong.
He works for a credible institution. He would be sacked for guessing something like this and getting it wrong.

Tom Van Persie

No relation
BBC spinning it differently. ‘Ten Hag doesn’t know’, and club refuse to comment. “It is being stressed they remain committed to an end-of-season review, after which a decision on Ten Hag’s future will be made”… what is going on? Psych ops from Chelsea or other opponent? Or could the Guardian have been sold a pup?
Negative Simon Stone strikes again. Every man and their dog knows he's sacked after tomorrow.

stevoc

What age are you?

colombianmancunian

Gives me dejavu of LVG. It was also leaked that he would be sacked after FA Cup final. Hopefully ETH says good bye with a cup win.

GreatDane

I feel we will regret this decision. Ten Hag has done a lot to sieve out the dead weight and bring in lots of fresh young players. He just needs more time to refresh what is for the most part a dead squad. He has cut the wage bill by quite a bit and even now has plans to trim it further. Why can’t we just weather the storm a little longer and at least give him his full three years? WHY? Do some fans actually think two years is enough time to fix the rot in our club? We all know lots of the players we have are not good enough and yet here we are. Again. And leaking a day before a cup final is beyond embarrassing.
2 years, 400m spend, 8th place and -1GD.
Yeah, I've seen enough.

Skills

Snitch
Times he might have been sacked at a more normal club:

7-0 A
Gala 2-3 H
Copenhagen 3-4 H
Man City 0-3 H
Gala 3-3 A
Newcastle 0-1 H
Bournemouth 0-3 H
Nottingham Forest 1-2 H
Man City 1-3 A
Brentford 1-1 A
Crystal Palace 0-4 A

Tom Van Persie

No relation
If the Glazers hadn't dragged out the sale and INEOS had taken over earlier than they did he would've been sacked a while ago.

Skills

Snitch
I support every United manager. This leak the day before the cup final is disgraceful. I feel sorry for Ten Hag. Carrying the can for a club that is rotten to the core.
Here's an idea - start supporting the club instead then.

stevoc

Sure we will turn blind eyes to 19 defeats, negative goal difference!, numerous negative records being broken, finishing bottom of the easiest CL group, and wasted millions of pounds on trying to make this magical land of no midfield work. Now that is embarrassing.

by the way do you think Ten Hag is the only person to face media abuse?
There's more, taken from Twitter.

Records broken by Erik ten Hag:

- Manchester United hadn't lost 13 games by Christmas since 1930, until Erik Ten Hag
- Manchester United hadn't gone 4 games in a row without scoring since 1992, until Erik Ten Hag
- Manchester United hadn't lost back to back games to West Ham since 2007, until Erik Ten Hag
- No Manchester United manager has conceded 20 goals to Liverpool/City in their first 7 games against them since Alfred Albut in the 1800s, until Erik Ten Hag.
- Manchester United had never finished with as few as 5 points in the CL group stages in the competitions history, until Erik Ten Hag
- No English club had ever conceded 15 goals in the CL group stages in the competitions history until Erik Ten Hag
- Manchester United had never lost 4 of 6 CL group games in the competitions history, until Erik Ten Hag
- Manchester United had never failed to keep a clean sheet in 5 of 6 CL group games in the competitions history, until Erik Ten Hag
- Manchester United had never lost 12 of the opening 23 games of the season, until Erik Ten Hag
- Manchester United hadn't finished bottom of their CL group since 2006. Until Erik Ten Hag.
- Bournemouth had never won at Old Trafford, Until Erik Ten Hag - Bournemouth had never scored 3 goals at Old Trafford, until Erik Ten Hag
- Bournemouth had never kept a clean sheet at Old Trafford, until Erik Ten Hag
- Manchester United had never lost 7 of the opening 16 PL games, until Erik Ten Hag
- Manchester United hadn't lost back to back league games against Newcastle since 1972, until Erik Ten Hag.
- Manchester United hadn't lost 3 games in a row to Newcastle United since 1922, until Erik Ten Hag
- Newcastle hadn't kept 3 clean sheets in a row against Manchester United since 1897, until Erik Ten Hag
- Manchester United had never lost 6 of the opening 14 games of a PL season, until Erik Ten Hag
- No English team in CL history had ever conceded 14 goals in the first 5 CL group games, until Erik Ten Hag
- Manchester United had never conceded 3+ goals in 4 different CL games in a season, until Erik Ten Hag
- Manchester United had never lost a CL game they were leading by 2 goals, until Erik Ten Hag, twice since.
- Manchester United hadn't lost a game they were leading by 2+ goals since 2014, until Erik Ten Hag
- Manchester United had never dropped this many points from a winning position in CL history, until Erik Ten Hag
- Manchester United had never conceded 4+ in two CL group games, until Erik Ten Hag
- Manchester United hadn't lost 9 of the opening 17 games since 1974, until Erik Ten Hag
- No team had ever give away 4 penalties in their first 4 CL group games in the competitions history, until Erik Ten Hag
- No player as young as Roony Bardghji had scored against Manchester United in the CL, until Erik Ten Hag
- Manchester United hadn't lost 8 of the opening 15 games in a season since 1962, until Erik Ten Hag
- Manchester United hadn't lost 5 of their first 10 games at Old Trafford since 1931, until Erik Ten Hag
- Newcastle hadn't won at Old Trafford since 2013, until Erik Ten Hag.
- Newcastle hadn't won a cup game against Manchester Uniteds since 1994, until Erik Ten Hag.
- Manchester United hadn't lost twice in a row to Newcastle since 1972, until Erik Ten Hag
- No post war Manchester United manager had conceded 20 goals to City and Liverpool in their first 6 games against them, until Erik Ten Hag
- Manchester United hadn't lost 5 of the opening 10 league games in 36 years, until Erik Ten Hag
- Galatasaray hadn't won a game on English soil in 117 years of existing, until Erik Ten Hag.
- Manchester United had never lost the opening 2 CL group games, until Erik Ten Hag.
- Manchester United had never conceded 7 goals in the opening 2 CL group games, until Erik Ten Hag.
- Manchester United had never lost an home and away match to Crystal Palace in the Premier League, until Erik Ten Hag.
- Manchester United just had their lowest ever finish in the Premier League era, 8th
- Manchester United have conceded 83 goals this season, which is the highest ever in their history

But yeah give him another year for some reason.

red.knight

Oh jog on. The majority of this is on ETH.

Rashford I will give you. Pretty much everyone else has bust a gut trying to make this work
Our woes started way before Ten Hag. I remember Sir Ratcliffe saying during his interview that it was good how Arteta was given time despite finishing 8th in his first 2 seasons. They say that it is the definition of insanity, to keep doing the same things over again, whilst expecting a different result each time...

golden_blunder

Staff
There's more, taken from Twitter.

Records broken by Erik ten Hag:

- Manchester United hadn't lost 13 games by Christmas since 1930, until Erik Ten Hag
- Manchester United hadn't gone 4 games in a row without scoring since 1992, until Erik Ten Hag
- Manchester United hadn't lost back to back games to West Ham since 2007, until Erik Ten Hag
- No Manchester United manager has conceded 20 goals to Liverpool/City in their first 7 games against them since Alfred Albut in the 1800s, until Erik Ten Hag.
- Manchester United had never finished with as few as 5 points in the CL group stages in the competitions history, until Erik Ten Hag
- No English club had ever conceded 15 goals in the CL group stages in the competitions history until Erik Ten Hag
- Manchester United had never lost 4 of 6 CL group games in the competitions history, until Erik Ten Hag
- Manchester United had never failed to keep a clean sheet in 5 of 6 CL group games in the competitions history, until Erik Ten Hag
- Manchester United had never lost 12 of the opening 23 games of the season, until Erik Ten Hag
- Manchester United hadn't finished bottom of their CL group since 2006. Until Erik Ten Hag.
- Bournemouth had never won at Old Trafford, Until Erik Ten Hag - Bournemouth had never scored 3 goals at Old Trafford, until Erik Ten Hag
- Bournemouth had never kept a clean sheet at Old Trafford, until Erik Ten Hag
- Manchester United had never lost 7 of the opening 16 PL games, until Erik Ten Hag
- Manchester United hadn't lost back to back league games against Newcastle since 1972, until Erik Ten Hag.
- Manchester United hadn't lost 3 games in a row to Newcastle United since 1922, until Erik Ten Hag
- Newcastle hadn't kept 3 clean sheets in a row against Manchester United since 1897, until Erik Ten Hag
- Manchester United had never lost 6 of the opening 14 games of a PL season, until Erik Ten Hag
- No English team in CL history had ever conceded 14 goals in the first 5 CL group games, until Erik Ten Hag
- Manchester United had never conceded 3+ goals in 4 different CL games in a season, until Erik Ten Hag
- Manchester United had never lost a CL game they were leading by 2 goals, until Erik Ten Hag, twice since.
- Manchester United hadn't lost a game they were leading by 2+ goals since 2014, until Erik Ten Hag
- Manchester United had never dropped this many points from a winning position in CL history, until Erik Ten Hag
- Manchester United had never conceded 4+ in two CL group games, until Erik Ten Hag
- Manchester United hadn't lost 9 of the opening 17 games since 1974, until Erik Ten Hag
- No team had ever give away 4 penalties in their first 4 CL group games in the competitions history, until Erik Ten Hag
- No player as young as Roony Bardghji had scored against Manchester United in the CL, until Erik Ten Hag
- Manchester United hadn't lost 8 of the opening 15 games in a season since 1962, until Erik Ten Hag
- Manchester United hadn't lost 5 of their first 10 games at Old Trafford since 1931, until Erik Ten Hag
- Newcastle hadn't won at Old Trafford since 2013, until Erik Ten Hag.
- Newcastle hadn't won a cup game against Manchester Uniteds since 1994, until Erik Ten Hag.
- Manchester United hadn't lost twice in a row to Newcastle since 1972, until Erik Ten Hag
- No post war Manchester United manager had conceded 20 goals to City and Liverpool in their first 6 games against them, until Erik Ten Hag
- Manchester United hadn't lost 5 of the opening 10 league games in 36 years, until Erik Ten Hag
- Galatasaray hadn't won a game on English soil in 117 years of existing, until Erik Ten Hag.
- Manchester United had never lost the opening 2 CL group games, until Erik Ten Hag.
- Manchester United had never conceded 7 goals in the opening 2 CL group games, until Erik Ten Hag.
- Manchester United had never lost an home and away match to Crystal Palace in the Premier League, until Erik Ten Hag.
- Manchester United just had their lowest ever finish in the Premier League era, 8th
- Manchester United have conceded 83 goals this season, which is the highest ever in their history

But yeah give him another year for some reason.
Bloody hell. Absolutely deserves to be pushed out based on nothing more than results. Football is a results business after all.

Laurencio

That right there tells you all you need to know.

stevoc

It's amazing how people keep saying this while not actually being able to name the bad eggs (other than Rashford). Of course that's because the large majority of this squad are players that ETH signed, players ETH promoted, players that ETH decided to play more than previous managers did, and players that ETH decided to give new contracts. All the players are also obviously trying their best, with the exception of Rashford and maybe Casemiro for a month or two. Yet it's all about the players, rather than the most obvious example of bad managerial decisions over the course of a season that I can personally remember.
It must be some sort of coping mechanism or they genuinely just don't pay attention to the squad.

moses

Can't We Just Be Nice?
Staff
When the manager is blatantly failing at the job, yes they are. Continuing to support the manager at that point is actively hurting the club.
They're not. You support him while is still in the job, which he is. If you support him over the club afterwards then maybe.

Sarni

nice guy, unassuming, objective United fan.
They threw him under the bus just like they did with Ole, Mourinho, van Gaal, Moyes and Atkinson before.

Status
Not open for further replies.