The Guardian

dumbo

Don't Just Fly…Soar!
Scout
I picture Viner and Dacre at the same cocktail party discussing politics like we do starting 11s. Clink-clink.

Wibble

In Gadus Speramus
Staff

Sweet Square

Manufacturing Consent
It's was stupid in labeling these people interviewed as working class and not fact checking their insane views but the shit views expressed in the article are shared by millions all over the country.

The small business owners and retired boomer class of Britain are a mass backwards reactionary force.

horsechoker

The Caf's Roy Keane.
Are Zoe Williams articles as bad as the headlines suggest?

I went to my mum's house to make a very important Zoom call. Big mistake

I spotted Joanna Lumley in the local supermarket – her Bolly trolley made my day

I'm using Fitbits to track my kids' sleep – what could possibly go wrong?

Only 7% of British people are heading to the pub. Here's why I'm one of them

What have I learned in lockdown? I have a burning need for small adventures

If I must wear a face mask, I'll do so with a look of ironic detachment

The 10-year-old has returned to school and we live for the stories she brings back

Those are from the last 2 months, some of her articles seem relevant and interesting but about 50-60% seem like dross such as these.

berbatrick

Renaissance Man
Scout
the first two are amazing headlines. im laughing at them, under my mask with a look of ironic detachment.

Mr Pigeon

Illiterate Flying Rat
Scout
Are Zoe Williams articles as bad as the headlines suggest?

I went to my mum's house to make a very important Zoom call. Big mistake

I spotted Joanna Lumley in the local supermarket – her Bolly trolley made my day

I'm using Fitbits to track my kids' sleep – what could possibly go wrong?

Only 7% of British people are heading to the pub. Here's why I'm one of them

What have I learned in lockdown? I have a burning need for small adventures

If I must wear a face mask, I'll do so with a look of ironic detachment

The 10-year-old has returned to school and we live for the stories she brings back

Those are from the last 2 months, some of her articles seem relevant and interesting but about 50-60% seem like dross such as these.
They're actually quite funny. She's mainly taking the piss. There's another Guardian writer who is equally self aware and knows how pompous their employer are, I can't remember her name but I always get a kick out of her work too.

Mr Pigeon

Illiterate Flying Rat
Scout
Alright, every time I go on the guardian I see a headline from her which makes me think why is this even here.
It helps give you a break from their regular "the best guacamole coated velvet curtains to buy when you're working class" or "all men are bastards and if you disagree then you're also a bastard" articles.

SteveJ

all-round nice guy, aka Uncle Joe Kardashian
Scout
Knowing nothing about architecture and urban planning, I have to ask: are there realistic alternatives to living and working spaces that appear somewhat phallic (at least, according to the Guardian's writer)?

dumbo

Don't Just Fly…Soar!
Scout
I reckon there is probably something interesting about what our architecture says about us. Whether that be overtly patriarchal and white hegemonic imagery, or something more subliminal. I wouldn't trust the guardian hot-takests with it though.

dumbo

Don't Just Fly…Soar!
Scout
Knowing nothing about architecture and urban planning, I have to ask: are there realistic alternatives to living and working spaces that appear somewhat phallic (at least, according to the Guardian's writer)?
The Nazi brutalist stuff seems more blocky and squashy. Which might dispute the ergonomics of tall stuff, or it might explain their feelings of inadequacy.

SteveJ

all-round nice guy, aka Uncle Joe Kardashian
Scout
Isn't the ruling work-ethic philosophy bound to result in high-rise housing and offices though? Instead of sexism (for the want of a more suitable word), isn't it merely a case of 'pack them in at the cheapest cost possible'? Plus, it's essentially a mass of panopticons made of stacked concrete crates; very useful to any ruling authority, be it company bosses or other overseers...

Sweet Square

Multi millionaire business owner and UKIP fan Jamie turkey twizzler Oliver is the new vanguard.

Mr Pigeon

Illiterate Flying Rat
Scout
The Guardian started going down the shitter when Katharine Viner became editor.
That was when they started removing comments from their articles, isn't it? Articles such as "All Men Are Bastards And Don't Argue With Me" and "I Slummed It For Two Weeks in Notting Hill With Just £800 A Week And This Is What I Learned About Being Working Class..."?!

fergieisold

I’m still reading the guardian but I’ve still not figured out why. I think it’s that it almost has a good common sense line...and then suddenly it goes nuts and throws a load of hipster bullshit at you. Keeps me on my toes maybe.

Ubik

Nothing happens until something moves!
I’m still reading the guardian but I’ve still not figured out why. I think it’s that it almost has a good common sense line...and then suddenly it goes nuts and throws a load of hipster bullshit at you. Keeps me on my toes maybe.
It's good for news, investigations and live events. Just avoid the comment.

Mr Pigeon

Illiterate Flying Rat
Scout
To be fair, the article on masks is predominantly centred around folk in power like Trump who will receive the best medical care. The second article starts off repeating this from Pence's perspective and then moves on to the reasons why women are less likely to take the vaccine - mainly due to women making up the majority of the anti-max movement and because most vaccine studies don't put a lot of attention into how they affect women.

I know the "Patriarchy" banner and attention grabbing headlines fire up the alarm bells quite quickly but her columns are usually rather good.

berbatrick

Renaissance Man
Scout
To be fair, the article on masks is predominantly centred around folk in power like Trump who will receive the best medical care. The second article starts off repeating this from Pence's perspective and then moves on to the reasons why women are less likely to take the vaccine - mainly due to women making up the majority of the anti-max movement and because most vaccine studies don't put a lot of attention into how they affect women.

I know the "Patriarchy" banner and attention grabbing headlines fire up the alarm bells quite quickly but her columns are usually rather good.
To the best of my knowledge, the aim is to have a 50-50 sample roughly. I think the more common problem is ethnicity, most trial participants (and most papers on genetics) focus on white europeans*, and the results need not necessarily extrapolate to others.

https://assets.publishing.service.g...essionals_on_COVID-19_Vaccine_AstraZeneca.pdf

*if you do get a representative sample of the population, you still may not get enough data on minorities since they are, well, minorities. not the case with women.

Mr Pigeon

Illiterate Flying Rat
Scout
To the best of my knowledge, the aim is to have a 50-50 sample roughly. I think the more common problem is ethnicity, most trial participants (and most papers on genetics) focus on white europeans*, and the results need not necessarily extrapolate to others.

https://assets.publishing.service.g...essionals_on_COVID-19_Vaccine_AstraZeneca.pdf

*if you do get a representative sample of the population, you still may not get enough data on minorities since they are, well, minorities. not the case with women.
True. On another note I still like to point out that since the new Guardian editor came in a couple of years ago more and more articles are removing the ability to comment. And it's mainly the ones that are incendiary.