The Guardian

coolredwine

lameredboots
The "lefts" reaction to the ruling is so at odds with reality. I've unfollowed the Guardian and Independent this week as they're trying to push an agenda down my neck.

The only person who's harmed the metoo movement in that case, is Amber Heard. Instead of admitting they chose the wrong side, they are doubling down.
Its pretty normal for a woman to stick out for another woman.

The Corinthian

I will not take Mad Winger's name in vain
Supports
A Free Palestine
https://metro-co-uk.cdn.ampproject....o-will-only-entrench-inequality-17000146/amp/

Why am I expected to cheer for an ethnic minority Prime Minister who will only entrench inequality?

What is the message to these little Black and brown children that we imagine should become all starry-eyed at the selection of potential future leaders?

That if they simply attend a private school, get an Oxbridge degree, marry into multi-million pound dynasties and befriend powerful people in the media, banking and politics industries then – gather round children – you too can peddle division, plunge people into poverty and get your own grandma deported!

Hardly the pinnacle of social mobility and cohesion.
From the Rwanda plan, the cost-of-living crisis and cuts to vital public services, the Tories have presided over a climate in which communities of colour, those living in poverty and those systemically marginalised face further struggle, suffering and structural inequality.

A non-white face will do nothing to change this and it makes me angry and frustrated that people see representation as so fickle, so hollow, that the installation of a Prime Minister Sunak, Badenoch or Braverman in Number 10 was presented as an end goal. Racism conquered.
Communities of colour – decimated by a decade of austerity, institutional racism in schools and the police, as well as the legacies of Windrush and Grenfell – deserve more than to be the opportune and temporary concern of politicians whose policies ensure that people like their own families would never be able to enter Britain, let alone thrive here.

It is almost dystopian. Perhaps if it didn’t have such dire real-life consequences, it would be laughable to think that politicians who have presided over the orchestration of the hostile environment policy, the Rwanda plan and Brexit now want to be viewed positively by those in minority communities, simply in order to score relatability points.
Good rant I thought.

Solius

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Staff
Literally every opinion piece these days is like “Water is bad for you and here’s why”.

Tyrion

At the risk of sounding bad, there's a tendency from progressives in America to idolise people from marginalised groups as heroes, then be shocked when it turns out that those people can have terrible views too (e.g. Caitlin Jenner, Kanye, J.K. Rowling).

I dont think any progressive would be daft enough to say this about Kanye if he was white (though the conservatives would be).

Mr Pigeon

Illiterate Flying Rat
Scout
Literally every opinion piece these days is like “Water is bad for you and here’s why”.
I genuinely miss the days when the articles were "Men are cnuts and here's why." I know some folk didn't like them but as a man I can confirm we are indeed all cnuts.

They used to allow comments as well on their Comment Is Free section, before it became Our Comment Is Free and Feck Yours section.

berbatrick

Renaissance Man
Scout
"Human civilisation is ending, and here's why that's not as bad as you expect", probably from Vox, about 2037.

moses

Can't We Just Be Nice?
Staff

moses

Can't We Just Be Nice?
Staff
Not surprised Ireland got a mention. We are possibly the most vulgar consumerists in Europe. Our middle classes are really fecking annoying for this shit. They'll buy fecking anything The Saturday Irish Times Mag tells them to. And round these traditional surfing parts DryRobes had a small window of being the best invention ever, but almost immediately became a symbol of being an utter twat. My 15 year olds have spent their lives shivering and being semi exposed by the sea front, but they were the ones who informed me that a DryRobe is not an option.

The lockdown staycations was defined by these cnuts invading villages along the west coast with literally hundreds of thousands worth of kit and making camping vulgar.

Pity, because they are a great idea.

Conor

The coastal towns of South Dublin/North Wicklow are infected with dryrobes, nobody has been for a swim that wears one, they just swan around the towns drinking coffee.

BD

technologically challenged barbie doll
Not surprised Ireland got a mention. We are possibly the most vulgar consumerists in Europe. Our middle classes are really fecking annoying for this shit. They'll buy fecking anything The Saturday Irish Times Mag tells them to. And round these traditional surfing parts DryRobes had a small window of being the best invention ever, but almost immediately became a symbol of being an utter twat. My 15 year olds have spent their lives shivering and being semi exposed by the sea front, but they were the ones who informed me that a DryRobe is not an option.

The lockdown staycations was defined by these cnuts invading villages along the west coast with literally hundreds of thousands worth of kit and making camping vulgar.

It is a pity since it's such a good idea and I'd like to get one (and would genuinely use it). I often go swimming in north Germany where it could also be very useful and presumably doesn't have the same reputation, but somehow it wouldn't feel right

moses

Can't We Just Be Nice?
Staff
It is a pity since it's such a good idea and I'd like to get one (and would genuinely use it). I often go swimming in north Germany where it could also be very useful and presumably doesn't have the same reputation, but somehow it wouldn't feel right
Absolutely, it's a blessing in terms of utility here on the NW coast of Ireland. I don't go near the sea in the winter but if I these things would be a no brainer, apart from the hate.

I have seen them sported in shopping centres in the more salubrious suburbs near the coast in North County Dublin. So bizarre.

Pogue Mahone

The caf's Camus.
"like a man in silk pyjamas shooting pigeons

They’re shite at doing what they’re supposed to do though. The lining is kind of nylon-y and non-absorbent. There’s a similar version in Lidl (or IKEA?) that has a lining which is an actual towel. Makes way more sense.

Disclaimer. I don’t own one and I fecking hate swimming in the sea. I also hate any cnut who feels the need to add the word “sea” in front of “swimming”

moses

Can't We Just Be Nice?
Staff
They’re shite at doing what they’re supposed to do though. The lining is kind of nylon-y and non-absorbent. There’s a similar version in Lidl (or IKEA?) that has a lining which is an actual towel. Makes way more sense.

Disclaimer. I don’t own one and I fecking hate swimming in the sea. I also hate any cnut who feels the need to add the word “sea” in front of “swimming”
What are they supposed to do though? I thought they were a portable tent and roomy enough to use a towel inside? The kids have poncho towels with hoods but it's fecking Baltic and these things were to protect you from eyes and the wind as you toweled and dressed?

Last edited:

Pogue Mahone

The caf's Camus.
What are they supposed to do though? I thought they were a portable tent and roomy enough to use a towel inside? The kids have poncho towels with hoods but it's fecking Baltic and these things were to protect you from eyes and the wind as you toweled and dressed?
I think so? Something like that. But they’d be a lot more comfy if the Inside wasn’t like the lining of a 1970s sleeping bag.

moses

Can't We Just Be Nice?
Staff
I think so? Something like that. But they’d be a lot more comfy if the Inside wasn’t like the lining of a 1970s sleeping bag.
I see. It's hard to find the perfect material for cold weather sea interaction. The utility / comfort Venn diagram overlap is slim. I'd just stay away if I could.

People rarely comment on how the sleeping bag has improved in our lifetime. And boy has it!

BD

Absolutely, it's a blessing in terms of utility here on the NW coast of Ireland. I don't go near the sea in the winter but if I these things would be a no brainer, apart from the hate.

I have seen them sported in shopping centres in the more salubrious suburbs near the coast in North County Dublin. So bizarre.
:lol:

Oh I thought it was like a towel-jacket? So it has a towel-like lining and is heavy and thick to keep you warm? And you'd stick it on rightaway and then kinda rub your arms and body to dry off?

moses

Can't We Just Be Nice?
Staff

Oh I thought it was like a towel-jacket? So it has a towel-like lining and is heavy and thick to keep you warm? And you'd stick it on rightaway and then kinda rub your arms and body to dry off?
I think it is but you still need a towel, otherwise it's like putting your coat on without drying yourself? I'll ask a twat when I'm by the sea and get back to you.

Pogue Mahone

The caf's Camus.

I thought it was a towel-jacket too but the lining is weirdly non-absorbent. Kind of like a fleece jumper? Sort of fluffy but doesn’t suck up water.

BD

I think it is but you still need a towel, otherwise it's like putting your coat on without drying yourself? I'll ask a twat when I'm by the sea and get back to you.
Do please.
I thought it was a towel-jacket too but the lining is weirdly non-absorbent. Kind of like a fleece jumper? Sort of fluffy but doesn’t suck up water.
Sounds useless then.