g = window.googletag || {}; googletag.cmd = googletag.cmd || []; window.googletag = googletag; googletag.cmd.push(function() { var interstitialSlot = googletag.defineOutOfPageSlot('/17085479/redcafe_gam_interstitial', googletag.enums.OutOfPageFormat.INTERSTITIAL); if (interstitialSlot) { interstitialSlot.addService(googletag.pubads()); } });

The importance of Marouane Fellaini

Casanova85

Supports
Cruyff/SAF
It's amazing that he's still here after the Moyes and Van Gaal eras.

Don't know what to say. He's both an awful and great player, sometimes at the same time.

el3mel

Time for him to get respect from fans. I won't even talk about his quality but he's the perfect United player mentality.

Ibi Dreams

He is a very useful and unique player and has a great mentality. I don't love seeing him start most of the time because I wish we played a different style with much more technical play, but you can't deny that he adds value to our squad.

Rightnr

Wants players fined for winning away.
Even when he plays well, him playing means we are not progressing in the way we play football. That's why I'll never support him being part of the first team, outside a last 5 minutes plan C after all else has failed.

His performance today does nothing to change my mind on this.

Wednesday at Stoke

Supports
Time Travel
I wonder how someone like Nzonzi would play the role he's been asked to play the past couple games. He seems the closest thing to a defensive midfielder who could be deployed in that position.

Aloysius's Back 3

Even when he plays well, him playing means we are not progressing in the way we play football. That's why I'll never support him being part of the first team, outside a last 5 minutes plan C after all else has failed.

I would have loved Blind as the third CB playing in to midfield but ultimately - I don't think Fellaini is all that bad.

If we had the intention to actually control the match & it's possession - someone like Fellaini would not be detrimental as someone who adds something different to a team that attempts to dominate the match by playing pretty football.

Having one or 2 of those players is not bad - the fact is though we have too much & it is our core style of football; that's not particularly fellaini's fault though.

cyril C

Fellaini adds steel, stability and simplicity to our play. It was a much needed stability after a very poor start. Going forward, do we expect long ball tactics all the time? It was perfect for Watford as they will punish any fancy passing moves, but not every team play like Watford. So the Fred plan is still on the table, perhaps try it with 1st CL game and see how we can revert back to a more sophisticated game plan, in calmness.

MikeKing

Supports
Bournemouth
Time for him to get respect from fans. I won't even talk about his quality but he's the perfect United player mentality.
Oh I agree. He has come so far since his arrival, which was the worst:lol: Couple of years after wasn't good either but after that i think he has been cool. He is being managed just right tho. He is limited, but if he is deployed right and gets in that pocket he is a beast

Ashley R1+O

This is the point of the thread that has gone way under the radar. United mentality, through and through. Proper weird that he's become a trope of failure.

ForestRGoinUp

No other team in Europe value him at the price we do. Played a role in league and Europa Cup runs, which shouldn’t surprise anyone, as it is his level. Plays well against Burnley and Watford and he’s got United blood coarsing through his veins haha.

Green_Red

Hes good in that DM role. Can break things down and is a good passer. Im not a huge fan of him being brought on as a sub for an attacking player which we sometimes have seen Jose doing to try and chase games playing him further up the pitch, but his displays at DM have been good. I think thats really his best position. Jose has used him as that big target up front though a few times when we've resorted to route one, which is frustrating to watch but if he plays him at DM Im happy to see him start tbh.

PeteManic

I think he is fantastic in the DM role against the lesser sides. He protects the long ball well. I think he would be fcuked however against midfielders with any sort of movement. But for now it works as an option. I do expect United to be grittier and more direct this year, some Fellaini will play a good number of PL matches. Fred and Herrera are more likely defensive options against better teams.

Dec9003

Correctly predicted Portugal to win Euro 2016
No other team in Europe value him at the price we do. Played a role in league and Europa Cup runs, which shouldn’t surprise anyone, as it is his level. Plays well against Burnley and Watford and he’s got United blood coarsing through his veins haha.
At least he doesn't have two teams 'coursing through his veins'

padzilla

Hipster
He is extremely limited but he has a good attitude, one that many players in the squad who are more highly thought of by the majority of the fanbase would do well to adopt.

Nico87

His footballing ability is underrated, he's never going to be Paul Scholes but he's a very useful partner for somebody Pogba who does have that passing range. He's got very good ball control under pressure, brilliant in the air, strong in the tackle and a decent reading of the game. Players who are comfortable on the ball will like playing with him because you know if you ping it into him it's likely to stick and you shift you glee and take the return, I'd take players like Fellani who are proud to play for the club and never hide or have a tantrum over some of the sulking brats we've had in recent years.

Reactions: Carolina Red

Tomuś

Nani is crap, I tell you!
I wonder if there's 1% chance people will understand that playing him does not mean playing bad football and actually he rarely plays as a lump up front which they think he does. Belgium played great football with him in the team vs Japan and Brazil, we proved we can play good fooball with him. He's there to help sweeping things up and having tactical role PLUS being a weapon for set pieces. He can enable good football as he allows more technical players to push forward. We don't play him as the creative force. Waste of time anyway, some made up their mind 4 yrs ago under Moyes and are happy not to change as it would've ruin their dodgy logic.

norm87cro

A Squad player at best but then again didn't we praise Fergie for getting the best out of the likes of Park, Fletcher, O'shea and a few others? I really don't see why Fellaini should have the responsibility for the lack of quality counter football we displayed yesterday

Reactions: Rood

Nikelesh Reddy

I have always viewed him as an integral member of our squad.He just offers us so much in both penalty boxes...I”m glad that he signed a new contract last summer and hopefully he”ll keep getting better with each passing game...

Sing you a song

As long as we don’t have the CB pairing that Jose is confident with there will always be a place for Fellaini as he knows he can add some bite in midfield and height to protect the CB’s.
Interesting to see that Fred seems to have fallen out of favour so quickly

Web of Bissaka

Lindelof still not ready means Fella is needed defensively. Especially against teams that kept on pumping long balls into the box.

Our attacks also tend to have problems in being stable (keeping the ball and initiate direct attacks consistently and meaningfully as close to the post) in the final third so Fella target man role can somehow works better.

Set-piece threat.

WolfInSharp'sClothing

Supports
Wolves
MOTD were waxing lyrical about how he dropped into the back line to help his defence.

This sort of thing came so naturally to a player like Carrick and he could play some serious football going the other way too.

United shouldn't be in the position where they have to sit Fellaini and Matic in front of the defence away to Watford!

doomy20

Don´t like him as a player as he stands for everything i not want us to play. But within his possibilities and unlike our so called superstars like Alexis or Pog, he acutally talks on the pitch, does what he is told to and keeps his mouth shut once off the field. I like that and i think he deserves more respect than he gets.

TMDaines

Fun sponge.
People need to to view Fellaini through the spectre of Park Ji-sung amongst others. Never going to be world class and unlikely to ever be the first name on the teamsheet, but will excel in specific roles and scenarios. He’ll never get the respect and credit he is due, as that would require a degree of nuance that most gammon does not possess. Our squad would be far poorer without him. I’m happy to say that I have always supported him and always will.

Ish

Lights on for Luke
People need to to view Fellaini through the spectre of Park Ji-sung amongst others. Never going to be world class and unlikely to ever be the first name on the teamsheet, but will excel in specific roles and scenarios. He’ll never get the respect and credit he is due, as that would require a degree of nuance that most gammon does not possess. Our squad would be far poorer without him. I’m happy to say that I have always supported him and always will.
Yeah, he's gained a lot of respect from me. As much as it's not my preference to like his "skillset" - his mentality is beyond question. Brave and fearless.

The big difference between someone like Park (I'm a big fan of Park) and Fellaini (aside from their skillset) was that our team were serial winners back then, and we had the individual ability (Scholes/Ronaldo/Rooney/Ferdinand...the list goes on and on!) to win matches and titles back then.

These days our so-called "superstars" are too inconsistent (not to mention the piss poor managers we've appointed since), and unfairly, guys like Fellaini have almost become synonymous (spacegoats!) with our "failures" since SAF's retirement.

Noc-Z

ffs
MOTD were waxing lyrical about how he dropped into the back line to help his defence.

This sort of thing came so naturally to a player like Carrick and he could play some serious football going the other way too.

United shouldn't be in the position where they have to sit Fellaini and Matic in front of the defence away to Watford!
This is the crux of the matter! Tragically it seems we do have to set up like this! And also our entire approach seems to be to set-up to deal with the opponent. We should be imposing our game on them! But really we don't have a game. Teams (especially the likes of Watford) should fear us, and be setting up to handle us. But it's just not the case and now we need Fellaini dropping into defence!!!

Kapardin

Nailed it. Same here. Even if we had a world class midfield, there would always be a place for him as a squad player.

We don't always use him for the long ball option either, that's just a lazy narrative.

sergiosigurvinson

Does anyone think that we would win all our games with 10 Keane's or 10 Giggs or 10 Scholes' or... on the pitch?
Marouane is a teamplayer, he is respected by his teammates because they know what he can do for them (at least in the Belgian team and I am pretty sure it will be the same in our team).
He has some characterisitcs and skills that other players miss and as he is a human being he will lack other characterisitcs and skills.
He is one of us and he does what he can within his possibilities.

keener

Fellaini is world class in the air. He is a perfect sub to have in cases where we know the other team will be sending the ball long. We can pressure and force the long balls of which we will win 80%. When I see Jose place Fellaini deep by our central defenders, I know that he's done his homework on our opponent.

Additionally, when we push him forward and play him just behind Lukaku, this is usually far too much size and strength for any center back pairing to handle. If the service is decent, these 2 are usually going to win the ball.

I see Fellaini as a useful tool to be used selectively throughout the season which will surely give us a massive tactical advantage in certain situations. I love having him as an option.

Grande

That’s such a limited gauge on tactics. United created six good chances in the first half away to the team shipping the fewest chances against this year. That is a success in attacking display. Do you assume we would have created nine if we’d started Pereira or Fred instead of Fellaini?

Point is that having a box of

Smailling Lindelöf
Fellaini Matic

In front of De Gea allows Shaw, Valencia and Pogba to attack more freely. And Fellaini as well contributed greatly to our win at Watford.

Sterling Archer

Really great comparison

ash_86

He makes Pogba to play further up the pitch and that's the only things that matters to me. Casemiro for Real is not the most pleasing either but he enables other players to go do the job while protecting the back 4. You cant have all super stars on the team.

Lj82

He makes Pogba to play further up the pitch and that's the only things that matters to me. Casemiro for Real is not the most pleasing either but he enables other players to go do the job while protecting the back 4. You cant have all super stars on the team.
As mentioned by @Grande above, he playing Fellaini alongside Matic also allows the two full backs to attack with more freedom, which gives us more width, and more space for Pogba to work in.

Although Valencia did not play today, I thought the last two matches he played in he played further up the pitch than the last two seasons.

SER19

The most underrated player weve ever had. Playing him deeper sometimes might turn out really well as matic has a great range and can move it quickly. Fellainis been a great pro for all his time here, some people will never change their opinion on him but thats the way it is.