The importance of Marouane Fellaini

Amar__

Geriatric lover and empath
Supports
MK Dons
Not necessarily in terms of scoring the winning goal, but he's been beneficial to us when seeing out a game too.
Yeah, except the times when he wasn't and when his subs were pointless more often than not, but you like to forget that. Just like the times when he costed us.

In general, he doesn't deserve bashing because he is decent bloke who gives his best, but he also isn't Manchester United quality and I have no idea why some like to defend him so much because he was never good enough for a team aspiring to win big things.

Amar__

Supports
MK Dons
Would you be surprised if i told you thats only the 3rd time in 5 years he's came off the bench in a game we weren't winning and scored the winner?
I am not even surprised by that. But some people will make you believe he saves us at least once per month.

jimmyb2000

Your first paragraph you say that you can't understand how he's lasted here for 5 years, you go on in your 2nd paragraph to say that he's obviously a good trainer and squad player.

Make up your mind.
I've made up my mind pal. If you can't digest this post then I could spell it out in more simple terms for you.

Adam-Utd

Part of first caf team to complete Destiny raid
I have no issue throwing on him for a final 10 minute hail mary, but he shouldn't be first choice.

How he's been used recently is fairly how I expect his career to go from now on.

stevoc

I am not even surprised by that. But some people will make you believe he saves us at least once per month.
Me either mate, but we still see people trotting out the great plan B line and yet theres nothing to back it up.

Fellaini is a good player who is effective in the right set up. What he isn't effective at is influencing games as a sub when we are drawing or losing, certainly not on a regular basis anyway. He has averaged a goal or assist per season in those scenarios.

bosnian_red

Worst scout to ever exist
Fecks sake. Yeah he's useful off the bench now and then but the sight of him is just annoying these days. Even today he was trash until he scored at the death. There's other ways to make an impact then by being tall and a focal point for long balls.

arthurka

He was rubbish until the goal, people like to think he is a great plan b but In five years there aren’t many occasions when he has come off the bench to equalise or score a winner, today was an exception.

Time is right for him to go and he won’t be missed, good chance he will stay though as he will have to take a pay cut elsewhere and won’t have many good offers.
His header that hit the post was rubbish should have burried that , he got lucky with the deflected header for the goal .. Just dont get him and guess I never will .. Jose playing him despite him not signing a new contract really rubs me the wrong way ..

Zoo

He’s brilliant in the air and the snobbery about using this tactic needs to stop. Real Madrid consistently play the diagonal ball to Ronaldo when chasing a goal and it works.

Walters_19_MuFc

Yeah, except the times when he wasn't and when his subs were
pointless more often than not, but you like to forget that. Just like the times when he costed us.

In general, he doesn't deserve bashing because he is decent bloke who gives his best, but he also isn't Manchester United quality and I have no idea why some like to defend him so much because he was never good enough for a team aspiring to win big things.
We have won 'big things' with him here, though. Played a massive part in us winning the F.A. and Europa Cup. Maybe you like to forget stuff to, eh?

simplyared

A justified thread after todays game!
Never thought I'd be saying this but I think he could be paramount for us next season. We can't let him go!
And yes I was a strong doubter before.

Nate Dogg

Don't Make Me Angry
Feck sake...

I guess Young and Valencia will be signing new contracts too!!!

el3mel

As I said in his thread, if he stays I'll have no problems at all, good option from the bench, but at the same time, if he leaves I'm not going to be sad or lose any sleep over it. Kind of indifferent of both situations tbh. Happy to see him stay and don't care much if he doesn't.

Okey

It's just hard to digest a club looking to move forward and challenge the likes of Citeh and Europe's elite trying to keep a player like Fellaini. Yes we know what he does. But is that really something we need? That should be the preserve of desperate small clubs. I'd love to hear if any of the clubs in the bracket we aspire to use any similarly poor footballer just for such a niche purpose. Get rid and get playing some proper football I say...

Denis_unwise

Would like him to stay. His only role should be coming on in the last 10 - 20 minutes to create havoc in the box. He's of very little use when being brought on to close a game down. More likely to make a mistake.

It annoys me when we bring him on but continually pass sideways & backwards rather than lumping it into the box for him. In this scenario he regularly get's caught up in 1 of our intricate. but impossible to pull, off plays around our opponents box. He will then proceed to lose the ball.

TMDaines

Fun sponge.
He’s brilliant in the air and the snobbery about using this tactic needs to stop. Real Madrid consistently play the diagonal ball to Ronaldo when chasing a goal and it works.
There’s a lot of snobs at OT. We’re getting worse than the Scousers at nostalgia. Fergie was as much as a pragmatist as Mourinho is. He played a defensive midfielder as his right winger in the final last time we won the CL ffs. The main difference between the two is Mou is willing to portray himself as a cynic, whilst Fergie would pay constant homage to the Busby ethos and blow smoke up the fans’ backsides.

NikSab

Anthony Martial's #1 fan
For someone who doesn't seem to do much has scored/assisted in a few important games for us.

2014/15 Spurs - Opener. Got us back on track for CL qualification
2014/15 Man City - scored the goal which gave us the lead in the 4-2 game. Had Yaya in his pockets. The win basically got us in CL.
2015/16 Liverpool Away - Assisted Rooney
2015/16 Everton FA cup S/F - goal.
2015/16 Crystal Palace FA Cup final - Assist for Mata equaliser.
2016/17 Liverpool - Assist for Zlatan goal and the bonus of Klopp still crying about it.
2016/17 Hull City league cup S/F - Goal which basically got us to the final.
2016/17 - Celta Vigo S/F Europa league - Heroic header which got us to the final and back in the CL.

That's a lot of goals for someone who hasn't done much in a United jersey. For me he has played a crucial part in most of our achievements post Ferguson. Be it qualifying for CL under LVG, the FA cup, the league cup or the Europa league. Won't be surprised if he does something against Chelsea at Wembley. Hope it doesn't come out to that but rest assured, you'd get 110% from him whenever he puts on that jersey.

Ofcourse he shouldn't be starter but he has his uses in a tight game cuz he is a nuisance to play against and as a defender you wouldn't want him anywhere close to the pitch. Superb plan plan C to have who'd be happy with the game time if we pay the salaries required. I am glad that Jose has convinced him to stay despite the lack of minutes he has got this season and I feel has made most of that. 5 goals this season and most of them were crucial goals.

Chiken138

Supports
FC Bayern München
Fellaini is always a big problem in the box for every team. U can put him against barca or Madrid and they will also panic.

Best Plan B in the World, but sadly he is associated with Moyes

Amar__

Supports
MK Dons
We have won 'big things' with him here, though. Played a massive part in us winning the F.A. and Europa Cup. Maybe you like to forget stuff to, eh?
I am not really sure those throphies were our main aim in last few seasons, or in the upcoming seasons.

lsd

The Oracle
Fergie wanted to sign him and the three managers since have used him as much as possible .

Off course the posters here who say he is useless know better than them

deafepl

I'd like to think that if he is signing a contract only because Woodward want to sell him.

M Bison

Supports
York City
Useful for the last 10 minutes when we have absolutely no other option but that’s where it starts and ends.

Problem is he’ll inevitably be used more than that and dare I say it, even start a few games, which will be a few too many.

For me he’s a painful reminder and representative of our post Fergie decline and the sooner he’s gone the better.

Sterling Archer

Happy to have him stay on if that's what Jose wants. Let the manager get what he wants, simple as that.

Josh 76

Fellaini is always a big problem in the box for every team. U can put him against barca or Madrid and they will also panic.

Best Plan B in the World, but sadly he is associated with Moyes
Is it me, or is Fellani very poor in the air for his height. If he was as good as Andy Carroll in the air, then yes that would be the best plan B in the world. Not Fellani as he is now. There is no way he is signing a new contract to be a super sub. All I can say is God help us if he is still here next season.