The John Murtough Era

Status
Not open for further replies.

I’m loving my life

He has completely left ETH high and dry with his ineffective stewardship of our club. I would like to think he will be sacked soon if things don’t pick up but the reality is that he will outlast the only guy who actually knows anything about football, aka the manager.

Keefy18

He has completely left ETH high and dry with his ineffective stewardship of our club. I would like to think he will be sacked soon if things don’t pick up but the reality is that he will outlast the only guy who actually knows anything about football, aka the manager.
He's deserving of plenty of blame sure, but I also have to blame ETH a lot too.

ETH has got 3 players he knows very well and been supported in that sense, however he has decided to be a moron and spend the summer chasing FDJ and it has held up our transfer window completely.

He has literally put all his eggs in the one basket and it seems no one else will suffice other than FDJ and now he has been mugged off by him and possibly on his way to a rival after a summer of "assurances".

I've echoed these sentiments time and time again over the summer on the FDJ thread and mocked, but its looking ever more likely I'm right on it.

If we get another CM in it'll be a panic buy or someone simply not good enough either that actually improves us.

gica_7

You see the window Barcelona is having, you see how quickly the other teams concluded complex transfers, no wonder United is in this situation. The people changed but it is still the same. Transfers take weeks, sometimes years and they are never enough.

The Irish Connection

Rangnick speak the truth when he said we need 8 to 10 players to challenge. But he was sacked.

The idiot Murtough is still here continue Ed's legacy
Exactly. This director of football role was clearly just a placeholder pr move by the Glazers, as murtough has done absolutely nothing of note.
A proper dof, like others have said, is supposed to have a list of players with similar attributes who can match the coaches style, and get them in in a timely manner.
Alternatives to de Jong should have been signed weeks ago.

He is obviously not helped by everything having to go through Joel Glazer and the board before decisions are made. But the transfer window this summer has been woeful and Murtough should probably be sacked.

Wont happen though because the Glazers are clueless ditherers.

hobbers

Rangnick speak the truth when he said we need 8 to 10 players to challenge. But he was sacked.
Ironically an appointment championed by Murtough because he was practically in love with Rangnick.

We should have kept Rangnick and jettisoned Murtough by the looks of things. Only thing Murtough has done right in his entire United career is hire ETH, and that was a fecking easy decision.

Someone

Something
It baffles me that Murtough can look at the Manchester United squad and not see it needs 'open heart surgery.'

How does a Football Director assess this Man Utd team and not think: Gotta get a defensive midfielder, need to upgrade at #8, need better options out right, need a new right back?

There are so many obvious gaps. Yet I'm not seeing any proactivity towards rectifying these issues. Instead I read journalists telling us United would ideally want Rice or Bellingham. Why the f-k would these players come to United at present? Its delusional stuff.

We made Murtough Football Director with his zero experience when we could've gone for someone like Luis Campos. Someone with experience building teams. Who can assess a squad and take action to improve it.

I have no confidence that Murtough even understands the problems with the United squad, nevermind knows how to fix them.

The club, ultimately, will pay for these decisions.
He's another company man. In one of our most critical summers in recent history, he had no plan, zero. He just went with what ETH was familiar with, and that's it. Arnold could've done that, but the main reason we have someone like Murtough was to have a long term plan, but here we are, starting the season with a weaker midfield and attack. He's a clown.

mu4c_20le

Exactly. This director of football role was clearly just a placeholder pr move by the Glazers, as murtough has done absolutely nothing of note.
A proper dof, like others have said, is supposed to have a list of players with similar attributes who can match the coaches style, and get them in in a timely manner.
Alternatives to de Jong should have been signed weeks ago.

He is obviously not helped by everything having to go through Joel Glazer and the board before decisions are made. But the transfer window this summer has been woeful and Murtough should probably be sacked.

Wont happen though because the Glazers are clueless ditherers.
You'd think that businessmen and bankers would be more savvy with handling player values and not extending the contracts of unmovable players.

jamesjimmybyrondean

I mean what on earth is he doing. Isn't he supposed to be sort of our DoF but he seems oblivious to the quality of the squad we have. On top of that he has no clue of the quality players we should be after because why the feck are we bidding for Arnautovic

I’m loving my life

Ironically an appointment championed by Murtough because he was practically in love with Rangnick.

We should have kept Rangnick and jettisoned Murtough by the looks of things. Only thing Murtough has done right in his entire United career is hire ETH, and that was a fecking easy decision.
There were quite a few reports saying they preferred Poch at first but the groundswell of support for ETH led to us making that move, but that is literally the only good thing he has done. The rest of his term has been shambolic. I really hope he is sacked soon

hobbers

There were quite a few reports saying they preferred Poch at first but the groundswell of support for ETH led to us making that move, but that is literally the only good thing he has done. The rest of his term has been shambolic. I really hope he is sacked soon
I honestly think if Murtough and the board had been left in a closed environment to make the decision we'd have ended up with Bodgers.

The only reason they discounted Bodgers was because the PR team probably waded in and pointed out the fans would have jeered him out of the stadium by week 3. Similarly they chose ETH based on fan sentiment, so got the right decision by completely the wrong means.

RkkMan

There is no luck in the league, especially when you finish consecutive seasons in the same place.

As for the players we lost: only Greenwood is an actual loss. Pogba was injury prone and inconsistent, so was Cavani. Mata and Matic barrelly played. Lingard should've been sold 2 years ago.

Aside from that our first XI is still here. I will agree that our GK and ST are our biggest issue, but even so Ronaldo is still a goal machine. Questions remain if ETH can integrate him in his system, but looking at every single interview and quote he said about Ronaldo, he seems keen to work with him. And we both know that while Ronaldo is a belend, his professionalism is never in doubt.

The reason for our catastrophic failure last season was a complete loss of form/morale from a lot of our key players: Rashford, Bruno, Harry, etc and the internal conflicts because of Ole's hoarding syndrome. As a result we had too many disgruntled players.

Now we've trimmed the squad a bit, and we're only trully short in 1 area: CFs. Every other are has a good depth, only CM has a quality issue, but we are actively working on De Jong and that Slovenian fella.

As such our first priority is to get the best out of our existing core group of players. There is a reason that in EtH's first press conference he was saying that we have a treasure trove of talent that needs to be tapped. And instead of taking this as good news, everyone lapped it up as EtH being a yes man for the Glazers.

The manager knows what he is doing. And knowing EtH, by Christmas we will be punching above our weight. I expect a lot of people to be surprised once the tactics kick in.
What did I tell you lad?
You're massively overestimating this squad. Anything less than 3 signings in the next month sets us up for another catastrophic season Ten Hag isn't a magician
Not every piece of turd can be polished

el3mel

We replaced Woodward with a worse version. Our transfer business are still a mess, and same mistakes are still happening. Nothing has changed regarding the club.

What pisses me off is how the club briefs to the media every year how good our structural change is and how big our scouts system is just to give the false impression we're a well run club. Remember shit like this :

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/football/2019/10/15/manchester-united-have-method-madness-dont-talk/

They had a list of 804 right backs and from them AWB was on the top ! Ridiculous.

Foxbatt

I honestly think if Murtough and the board had been left in a closed environment to make the decision we'd have ended up with Bodgers.

The only reason they discounted Bodgers was because the PR team probably waded in and pointed out the fans would have jeered him out of the stadium by week 3. Similarly they chose ETH based on fan sentiment, so got the right decision by completely the wrong means.
Hahaha. That made me laugh. I wish they would jeer Murtough out of his job at United.

Matt851

We replaced Woodward with a worse version. Our transfer business are still a mess, and same mistakes are still happening. Nothing has changed regarding the club.

What pisses me off is how the club briefs to the media every year how good our structural change is and how big our scouts system is just to give the false impression we're a well run club. Remember shit like this :

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/football/2019/10/15/manchester-united-have-method-madness-dont-talk/

They had a list of 804 right backs and from them AWB was on the top ! Ridiculous.
I find it incredible so many on here swallow what is obvious pr by the club without question

Escobar

Shameless Musketeer
Other big clubs have a clear strategy, they address weaknesses and potential in the market. They buy expensive players, but they also build up the rest of the squad with good players who's contract expires soon or young talents. They know what's on the market, and how to get it. Just look at how PSG recruited this summer, bloody brilliant it has to be said. And you know? They hired a competent DoF. We still hurry around like a lost bee and don't know what's left or right.

marktan

Here's the sole truth - it comes from the board. They appoint the CEO. He appoints the DoF. Everything else filters down.

For example - look at the board of a company like Instagram. It has titans like Michael Moritz on its board. You need expertise to advise. Who do we have on ours? 6 Glazer trust fund babies with no football knowledge and one or two others.

Brighton and Brentford have seasoned footballing / betting men on their board and as such they recruit well both in terms of club staff and player recruitment.

I wrote this season off before it started because until we get a compentant board in, our club will be running at a disadvantage in all the decisions it makes.

Vapor trail

DOF should have been outsourced. The only individual within the planned hierarchy since SAF who had the strongest opinions is the one no longer employed by the club (Ragnick). The signs are all over the wall.

Many posters making a ridiculous point about other clubs promoting DOF from within, but I can't think of many clubs with the level and pressure United operate being dysfunctional competitively for almost ten years and having success. Patience is really starting to wear thin after the recent reports that ETH is indeed the beginning and end of the transfer strategy.

Einstein said that madness is doing the same over and over and over again expecting a different result. Jose, LVG and Ole had total control over transfer and look how it's worked out. United are the only top club in world football with a revolving door rebuilding process it never reaches its optimum peak (the rebuild) because the infrastructure is all messed up.

Ludens the Red

I mean I knew this six weeks ago but us being linked with arnautovic is further proof that this guy is a complete muppet who doesn’t know what he’s doing. The gig was up when he went to the pub but now he’s just consolidating the fact he’s a feckin imbecile.

Foxbatt

I mean I knew this six weeks ago but us being linked with arnautovic is further proof that this guy is a complete muppet who doesn’t know what he’s doing. The gig was up when he went to the pub but now he’s just consolidating the fact he’s a feckin imbecile.
It was Arnold who went to the pub.

makes new threads with tweets in the OP

All of this.

It also really gets me when I read about how 'people at the club' think it's unfair that they're being criticized while the transfer window is still open.

First, these people at the club clearly have their priorities wrong. How have they got the time to feed lines to people like Rob Dawson and James Ducker?

Second, if they believe the BS they are putting out then it just shows they haven't got a clue. It's a registration window, you can do the deals at any time, and the deals we have done don't solve the most obvious weaknesses in the squad.

Only people who have close to zero understanding of football could see what's been done so far this summer as acceptable. Which, again, says a lot about the people who run this club of ours.

Rightnr

Wants players fined for winning away.
We have the budget but are bidding peanuts for a 33-year-old has-been?

Clearly the money's not there. Otherwise, go sign Anthony or someone in the same profile and buy another midfielder if De Jong signs or sign two more.

saivet

Us going for Arnautovic again demonstrates the lack of strategy and is probably a sign of desperation. It also looks like all he's done is go for players ETH has specifically requested, which makes me question what his value add is.

It's been a piss take and I can accept FDJ not coming but everything else just seems a complete mess. Have no confidence in him being able to rectify things this summer either.

Cathy Ferguson

The people in charge think we have a great squad that finished 2nd only 15 months ago and that we should now easily finish top4 with a new and better manager. These players should prepare for a bottom half finish 5 points above Everton.

BluesJr

Owns the moral low ground
I was prepared to give this guy a chance but I’ve now decided he’s a complete dud. No going back.

the chameleon

Lack of ownership from him as a leader. Needs to removed. He has been here since the Moyes era. He has been involved in many of the poor decisions of the club. He screwed up the Rangnick situation, and is now setting up a great coach in ETH for failure. Get rid ASAP.

makes new threads with tweets in the OP
Us going for Arnautovic again demonstrates the lack of strategy and is probably a sign of desperation. It also looks like all he's done is go for players ETH has specifically requested, which makes me question what his value add is.

It's been a piss take and I can accept FDJ not coming but everything else just seems a complete mess. Have no confidence in him being able to rectify things this summer either.
Murtough seems to be a pseudo Football Director.

He's not a Ralf Rangnick, a Monchi, a Paratici. A guy who understands the style of football he wants to see and recruits coaches and staff to fit that.

So to expect him to recruit to suit the profile of Ten Hag's football is probably wrong on our part. He doesn't understand the profile of Ten Hag's football well enough to begin doing that. If Ten Hag doesn't spoonfeed him what he wants he would not have a scooby. Do we think Murtough understands Ajax's playing philosophy?

The club's getting what we deserve for, once again, not going for a best in class appointment but just giving a job to someone the hierarchy like. Painful to watch Campos go in and instantly address PSG's midfield woes for basically what we spent on Martinez.

Incredibly having a competent Football Director would save the Glazers money by allowing us to pick up great players before they get big. But that's still not enough for our Board. They just can't handle the idea of bringing in an outside voice.

Greck

Repost but also relevant here.
"In Germany we have a head coach and then there is usually a minimum of two skilled people continuously in the club on a longer-term basis responsible for recruitment, scouting and any daily operation," Rangnick told Sky Sports News.

"I know that for the future, and I think even more so for a big club like Manchester United, you can't put all those jobs and tasks and the whole responsibility only on the shoulder of one person – on the manager. I'm not sure if this can be dealt with by one person, no matter how good he is.
Big reason I will blame the club's hierarchy if things go wrong is they were already warned by the consultant they hired and still didn't listen. Some people need to see their hands burned by fire to know why it's bad. Imagine being warned and still making the exact mistake within months. Removed several key roles, put the burden of scouting and recruiting on one man and expected things to be okay. ETH is currently inexperienced as a teambuilder and would have needed his efforts supplemented by a qualified DoF whether or not he realised it.

Newtonius

Repost but also relevant here.

Big reason I will blame the club's hierarchy if things go wrong is they were already warned by the consultant they hired and still didn't listen. Some people need to see their hands burned by fire to know why it's bad. Imagine being warned and still making the exact mistake within months. Removed several key roles, put the burden of scouting and recruiting on one man and expected things to be okay. ETH is currently inexperienced as a teambuilder and would have needed his efforts supplemented by a qualified DoF whether or not he realised it.
Really sums up the problems in the fanbase and the club at large doesn't it, the club that promote yes men from within and the fans that were happy to swallow the PR because he wasn't a very good coach.

I know Murtough is getting shit on here, deservedly so obviously, but what's the reaction around mainstream social media anyone got a finger on the pulse?

Can't help but expect ETH will receive a lot of the blame for this window, particularly if/when FDJ doesn't materialise. While he does deserve some its very clearly the structure behind him, hopefully the majority are astute enough to see that we are expecting him to fulfill the roles of Dof, chief scout and head coach all at once.

fallengt

Imagine being football director and your ideal striker would be Arnautovic at 33 :lol:
He wasn't good enough when he was 27, certainly he isn't good now.

yumtum

DUX' bumchum
We have the budget but are bidding peanuts for a 33-year-old has-been?

Clearly the money's not there. Otherwise, go sign Anthony or someone in the same profile and buy another midfielder if De Jong signs or sign two more.
Has he ever been a "been"? :lol:

Barca who are on the edge are going for better players than us.

OmarUnited4ever

Indefensible if Murtough and Arnold okay the signing of Arnautovic, I'd rather we play someone from the academy or buy Sesko for 50M.

I get that Ten Hag needs bodies in the team and he tends to like players he already worked with, but he can't be allowed to saddle the club with below average 33 yo players who will bring 0 value, Cavani who is 100 times better than Arnautovic couldn't hack it here for 2 years.

I was optimistic with the new setup under Murtough, and Arnold stepping away from football decisions and leaving it to Murtough/Ten Hag, but this transfer window has been shambolic, there was no planning to upgrade the squad, and all the targets were players Ten Hag knows, and I do not mind such an approach as a starting point, until the Scouts are familiar with the profile of players Ten Hag needs, but Ten Hag should not be allowed to sign any player he wishes too, there has to be a control put in place to ensure only good players are brought in, there are plenty of strikers to choose from that are definitely better than Arnautovic, which is a very low bar.

Status
Not open for further replies.