Gaming The Last of Us Part II (PS4)

AaronRedDevil

Delaying "because fans deserve a better launch" is absolute nonsense.

Delayed because they don't think a digital launch would be as profitable is more like it.
Which is stupid because this would be the perfect time. People cant go out, gamers need a new game. How would this not sell like crazy

Oldyella

Delaying "because fans deserve a better launch" is absolute nonsense.

Delayed because they don't think a digital launch would be as profitable is more like it.
Surely that doesn't make sense? A top game released now would sell like crazy even if digital only.

Massive Spanner

The Football Grinch
Imagine going through all that crunch only for the game to be delayed for potentially half a year.

Ghost of Tushima will surely be delayed too.

ha_rooney

Correctly predicted France to win World Cup 2018
They should be releasing this Digitally. It’s the one game that requires next to zero marketing to be successful. Delaying it makes no sense. Very disappointing.

Morpheus 7

I think Sony underestimated the fans on this one. I don't think there is a last of us fan that wouldn't download this online. I always buy physical copies but would pay double money to play this at the minute.

Organic Potatoes

Supports
Colorado Rapids
There’s probably more to the logistical problems blocking the physical release that prevents a digital one, right?

Like contracts for physical distribution to or through stores that would had to be cancelled or renegotiated, I don’t know...

Paxi

Dagestani MMA Boiled Egg Expert
Really disappointing seeing as the game is basically finished.

Bojan11

Doesn’t really bode well for the PS5 even if China is ready. Because the software most importantly probably won’t be ready at all.

Also Sony apparently did the numbers and they didn’t think releasing it digital would be enough.

macheda14

Doesn’t really bode well for the PS5 even if China is ready. Because the software most importantly probably won’t be ready at all.

Also Sony apparently did the numbers and they didn’t think releasing it digital would be enough.
They might just keep this as a launch title then.

Massive Spanner

The Football Grinch
Probably worth remembering that in places where the internet isn't as good, digital isn't really a favorable option for a lot of people. Sony aren't going to do anything to risk lower sales on their biggest game of the generation.

Coxy

They should be releasing this Digitally. It’s the one game that requires next to zero marketing to be successful. Delaying it makes no sense. Very disappointing.
Of course it makes sense. If they think this will harm how many copies they sell (physical) and affects marketing etc (people not seeing it out and about) then they will delay. This is the biggest game of the generation probably - they want to do it right.

I’m desperate to play it too - but can fully see why they want to delay it to give it a proper launch

laughtersassassin

Pissed me off to no end this but it makes sense cause they would sell less by a minimum 20% imo.

Also seems Sony forced the decision on Naughty Dog reading things. Hopefully they push GOT and release TLOU then if the virus has subsided.

laughtersassassin

It'll probably be a PS5 launch title at this rate.
They said the game is all but done. Why sit on it till November. No point. Will ship when the world starts trending back towards normality and in a month another Sony property isn't released. So GOT and TLOU will remain separate months. Hopefully TLOU is out first still.

laughtersassassin

A delay doesn’t bother me much, if anything it shows that their primary concern is putting out a product they’re happy with.
They said game is all but done. Delay isn't to improve it really. Probably will be a product of the delay though so that's positive

I hope they don't keep working on the single player longer than needed. TLOU Fractions game needs to come out within 6 months of release imo.

Last edited:

RedDevilRoshi

Precisely. Was looking forward to playing it, especially during this time when we need to stay indoors. Oh well, it is what it is.

I guess the PS5 will be delayed as well now?

afrocentricity

Part of first caf team to complete Destiny raid
Dunno about you lot but I've got feck loads in my backlog to keep me occupied. So be it...
Of course it makes sense. If they think this will harm how many copies they sell (physical) and affects marketing etc (people not seeing it out and about) then they will delay. This is the biggest game of the generation probably - they want to do it right.

I’m desperate to play it too - but can fully see why they want to delay it to give it a proper launch
Makes sense.

Eriku

Would a two-tiered release be that detrimental? I get that it sucks for those who won’t have the bandwith and data to get it digitally, but would it really hurt their sales? As has been pointed out, this would do a world of good for a decent portion of folks.

Massive Spanner

The Football Grinch
Would a two-tiered release be that detrimental? I get that it sucks for those who won’t have the bandwith and data to get it digitally, but would it really hurt their sales? As has been pointed out, this would do a world of good for a decent portion of folks.
I would say so, yes. Think of all the spoilers online etc.

There's also a fact that Sony have commercial relationships with a lot of the big, physical retailers who will likely lose a lot of money on pre-orders if Sony go digital first.

It makes all sorts of sense for them to wait til they can release it everywhere at the same time. In a game that will likely sell 10-15m copies, they won't want to leave anything up in the air. I'm really not sure what's so hard for people to comprehend.

BusbyMalone

First Man Falling
Precisely. Was looking forward to playing it, especially during this time when we need to stay indoors. Oh well, it is what it is.

I guess the PS5 will be delayed as well now?
Sony are still adamant that it won't be delayed, but they say more games could.

Eriku

I would say so, yes. Think of all the spoilers online etc.

There's also a fact that Sony have commercial relationships with a lot of the big, physical retailers who will likely lose a lot of money on pre-orders if Sony go digital first.

It makes all sorts of sense for them to wait til they can release it everywhere at the same time. In a game that will likely sell 10-15m copies, they won't want to leave anything up in the air. I'm really not sure what's so hard for people to comprehend.
No need for that last snipe, we don’t all know how to consider all the angles in all fields of inquiry. Thanks for highlighting issues that make sense of the delay.

Massive Spanner

The Football Grinch
No need for that last snipe, we don’t all know how to consider all the angles in all fields of inquiry. Thanks for highlighting issues that make sense of the delay.
I wasn't talking about you! Just others in here and online who seem to be raging at Sony over the decision.

Eriku

I wasn't talking about you! Just others in here and online who seem to be raging at Sony over the decision.
Ah. Yeah, I get that people are eager for something to fill the time with, but you’d think a video game wouldn’t rank too high as far as things to get worked-up about right now. People gonna people, I guess.

Bojan11

Well the spoilers and gameplay have leaked online. Sony need to make a decision soon.

diarm

Well the spoilers and gameplay have leaked online. Sony need to make a decision soon.
Avoiding anything that looks like it might resemble TLOU from now until it releases. This would be a terrible game to spoil.

Raw

Yep, just been fully spoiled. So that's fun. Good tip for you all, don't look at any social media replies (especially Twitter) for anything to do with PlayStation.

Wonder what's going to happen to that employee who leaked everything? Can't simply just get away with a simple sacking, right?

Shane88

Actually Nostradamus
Yep, just been fully spoiled. So that's fun. Good tip for you all, don't look at any social media replies (especially Twitter) for anything to do with PlayStation.

Wonder what's going to happen to that employee who leaked everything? Can't simply just get away with a simple sacking, right?
Hanged, drawn and quartered.

Apparently they weren't getting paid for overtime but this response is way over the top. It's pure spite to millions who did nothing to them.

I read the spoilers because I can't be arsed playing hide and seek around the internet for 2 months.

Bojan11

Naughty Dog have responded to the spoilers. I would post their tweets but it’s followed by spoilers underneath.

As for the employee, if that story is true then if they found out who they are then it’s the end of the line for them. Nobody would trust anybody who breaks NDA in the industry and it will be hard for them to get another job.

Mr Pigeon

Illiterate Flying Rat
Scout
I unfortunately saw spoilers but a lot of people have said that there's multiple choice actions in the game, building on what they did with Uncharted 4, so who knows. If it was someone who's pissed off they may have been quite selective with what they leaked.

Bojan11

I unfortunately saw spoilers but a lot of people have said that there's multiple choice actions in the game so who knows. If it was someone who's pissed off they may have intentionally chosen "bad" things to leak that they knew would piss folk off....? I hope.
According to Jason Schreier some employees at Naughty Dog want the game to fail.

Bojan11

Why? I'm not up to date on any of this so apologies if it's obvious or if i'm missing something.
Working conditions, crunch and not being paid overtime.
https://kotaku.com/as-naughty-dog-crunches-on-the-last-of-us-ii-developer-1842289962

Rockstar had the same issues with RDR. But they seemed to have improved that now after criticism.

https://kotaku.com/18-months-after-red-dead-redemption-2-rockstar-has-mad-1842880524/amp

Crunch is always going to be in every line of work. But not being paid the overtime for it is not acceptable. But what’s worse is ruining the game for millions. You ruined any sympathy you would have got with those actions.

Leg-End

Got spoiled by the original release date tweet. Can’t enjoy anything these days.

Woodzy

Just read spoilers on Reddit in a completely unrelated gaming discussion. People can be bell ends.