Television The Last of Us - TV Series HBO | NO GAME REFERENCES OR SPOILERS | Receives 24 Emmy nominations

RexHamilton

Gumshoe for hire
I did look to be fair. If it is to be taken literally, then all posts would be either: This is great, or this is alright, or this is shit. There'd be no point. Maybe do what the Guardian do and have a TIG, TIA, TIS thread and a discuss with Spoilers thread.
I’m open to correction, but as far as I’m aware the general rule of thumb is, if an episode has aired, you’re free to discuss it in the thread and if someone comes in and reads it before watching, that’s their tough luck.

But it’s a thread for the TV show, where many people won’t have played the game or know the story, so it’s not a thread for discussion on the game or references to the game, so it shouldn’t be discussed even in spoilers.

Solius

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Staff
Yeah it was a good start. Looking forward to it getting properly stuck in.

Eddy_JukeZ

Why would you? The storyline is pretty much made for HBO in terms of how its told and the shock factors.
Because it was a shit characterization of Joel and a much worse story compared to part 1 and panned by most of the fans.

nimic

something nice
Scout
Because it was a shit characterization of Joel and a much worse story compared to part 1 and panned by most of the fans.
It sold 4 million in the first couple of days and has a Metacritic rating of 93, ever so slightly below the original's 95. It was decidedly not panned by most fans. In any case, this is the world's most boring discussion and can we please not have it in this thread too?

Amarsdd

When people use the "other stuff" excuse to defend some of the daft Walking Dead season 7-8 level writing they had in tlou2 its hugely unfair.
No clue about Walking Dead. But are you denying the other stuff had some role in it? There was a feckin hate campaign against the game even before the game came out.

Stack

Leave Women's Football Alone!!!
No clue about Walking Dead. But are you denying the other stuff had some role in it? There was a feckin hate campaign against the game even before the game came out.
The people having a big sook about TLOU2 are the same people who only ever have sex in the missionary position.

padr81

Supports
Man City
Not by the majority of those who had issues with it though, was there a hate campaign? Sure, lead by Geeks and Gamers and other such bigots. But the majority of people who disliked the writing didn't fall anywhere near that group.

Last edited:

Lay

Correctly predicted Italy to win Euro 2020
Thought episode 1 was just okay
Yeah, I mean its shot well and if I ignore its identical to the game then its good. Not convinced by Bella Ramsey either yet. Joel is good though.

afrocentricity

Part of first caf team to complete Destiny raid
Strong start! Makes me want to go back and complete the first game, which I still haven't done. On that note I'm getting the feck out as I've avoided spoilers up until now...

Sylar

Not by the majority of those who had issues with it though, was there a hate campaign? Sure, lead by Geeks and Gamers and other such bigots. But the majority of people who disliked the writing didn't fall anywhere near that group.
Those who had issues weren't the majority of fans though as the original post had stated.

I do think there was a vocal element and it was split. I remember asking about this in the game thread as I didn't follow it at the time and played the game maybe a year or two later, and some hate was before the game was even released?
Some fair criticism was however then jumbled with the OTT stuff

Vialli_92

Supports
Juventus
That was a very strong first episode. It felt like I was playing the game again, just amazing.

Annihilate Now!

...or later, I'm not fussy
Scout
Panned by most fans???
Probably not, lots of noise made by some fans but not panned by most fans
I thought it was brilliant, love it even more than the first one.
I thought the story was great, dont understand the "shit characterisation" of Joel thing.
I loved that they came up with a story i never expected, loved the fact it was so brutal and depressing, loved the fact it wasnt some sweet and light Hallmark or Disney happily ever after story. It was gut wrenching, brutal and completely absorbing for me from beginning to end. I loved the fact that as it evolved it revealed things which then made previous things make sense. I hate stories that a re predictable, cliched and have been done before a thousand times.

The funniest thing about TLOU2 was how many of those who made the most negative noise about the game were those who never played it.
My issue with the TLOU2 is the story is really, really dumb/basic

Well maybe not dumb (though it is in parts) but a theme that's been done to death anyway.... Fun game to play though.

Fully Fledged

I’m open to correction, but as far as I’m aware the general rule of thumb is, if an episode has aired, you’re free to discuss it in the thread and if someone comes in and reads it before watching, that’s their tough luck.

But it’s a thread for the TV show, where many people won’t have played the game or know the story, so it’s not a thread for discussion on the game or references to the game, so it shouldn’t be discussed even in spoilers.
It's really not a hard concept I don't understand how people seem to be unable to wrap their heads around it.

padr81

Supports
Man City
Those who had issues weren't the majority of fans though as the original post had stated.

I do think there was a vocal element and it was split. I remember asking about this in the game thread as I didn't follow it at the time and played the game maybe a year or two later, and some hate was before the game was even released?
Some fair criticism was however then jumbled with the OTT stuff
Oh for sure the majority liked the game and thats cool. Its just a pet peeve of mine when peope say most the criticism came from the leaks and bigots.

KirkDuyt

Supports
Feyenoord
I love that they made fecking Batiatus warn the world about it in the opening.

great first episode and I loved Pascal. He can pull of gruff motherfecker very well. Bella Ramsey is great too.

AlPistacho

I feel like we need a separate thread for a discussion involving everyone who played the game. It would be nice if a television series could be discussed on its own merits as a television series?
Agreed. If I see spoiler I assume it’s about the episode I’ve just watched so will click, but already I’ve clicked on one that gives away the ending of the second not yet aired episode based on the game. I know those that played it are probably excited and want to talk about it etc but don’t ruin it for others who are experiencing this story for the first time.

Wibble

In Gadus Speramus
Staff
It would be nice if a television series could be discussed on its own merits as a television series?
I don't think anyone has actually read the spoiler policy. I've just deleted or edited a huge number of posts - sigh.

https://www.redcafe.net/threads/spoiler-policy-updated-02-11-2021.350710/

So this thread is about the TV series only.

You can only discuss what has actually happened in episodes that have been already broadcast.

• No game talk whatsoever. None at all. Especially no comparisons between the game and TV show. It might seem harmless to you but even something like discussing a character in part 2 of the game means they lived and that spoils the tv series for non-gamers.
  • No reviews or trailers should be posted as they often contain spoilers except in labelled spoiler tags (not at all is better).
  • And no discussion of the TV show in the game thread either as the TV show may push people to the game - spoilers again.

Importantly:
  • Any and all comment related to future developments must be placed in spoiler tags.
  • Trailers for future series can only be posted if in spoiler tags AND that the spoiler tag is labelled so people know what to expect inside the spoiler tags.
  • Only speculation that is both your own guess work AND only based on episodes that have already aired can be posted with or without spolier tags.
From now on warning points will be handed out.

SuperiorXI

One thing I found hilarious was when Joel, his kid and Tommy were getting the feck outta Dodge, Joel's neighbour asks what's going on and he tells her to get back in doors. While they escape.

The neighbour definitely dead.

Solius

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Staff
One thing I found hilarious was when Joel, his kid and Tommy were getting the feck outta Dodge, Joel's neighbour asks what's going on and he tells her to get back in doors. While they escape.

You see her run out of the house to tend to someone they hit as they drive off, then she gets attacked.

Sylar

Oh shit you're right. Missed that detail.
She also says something when Joel runs over the zombie, something like 'what are you doing?' or 'how could you'. Something that was unintentionally funny

AlPistacho

Hahaha, I chuckled too

Seveneric

This might be the first adaptation where I hope the show diverges from the source material.

The game was already like a playable movie. If they continue with a one-for-one adaptation (as with the first episode), then I'm not sure it'll be enjoyable (for me) other than the technical aspects. This isn't a book adaptation where I'm getting to see the characters visualized for the first time, I've already known and seen these characters and their stories on screen, I'd like something new.

Drawfull

This might be the first adaptation where I hope the show diverges from the source material.

The game was already like a playable movie. If they continue with a one-for-one adaptation (as with the first episode), then I'm not sure it'll be enjoyable (for me) other than the technical aspects. This isn't a book adaptation where I'm getting to see the characters visualized for the first time, I've already known and seen these characters and their stories on screen, I'd like something new.
There's loads of new.