Gaming The Legend of Zelda | Earthquake: "It's actually ridiculously good, and keeps getting better." ★★★★★

Sky1981

Fending off the urge
The think i dont like about zelda is no exp mode.

4 bar of health heart is a downer for me, i want skills and character progression. Too much puzzle too little gear upgrade.

(only played a link to the past mind you, but the concept of time paradox is a good one for its time. Enjoyable but I'd take the ff series over it)

VeevaVee

The worst "V"
Scout
Looks like the cutting tree down mechanics will feature 'proper' (cartoony) physics. Which is good, as I was thinking it would only be certain trees and that they'd lock on to the opposite side.

Don't know where the gif is now.

Olly Gunnar Solskjær

Marxist bacon-hating kebab-dodging Tinder rascal
Scout
Looks like the cutting tree down mechanics will feature 'proper' (cartoony) physics. Which is good, as I was thinking it would only be certain trees and that they'd lock on to the opposite side.

Don't know where the gif is now.
Yeah that's cool. I haven't seen a GIF, but here's a short clip that shows it

VeevaVee

The worst "V"
Scout
Yeah that's cool. I haven't seen a GIF, but here's a short clip that shows it

The gif looks like the same area, but he jumps and runs on the tree and it just rolls off the cliff.

Did that guy call Link Zelda btw? Amateur

Last edited:

Olly Gunnar Solskjær

Scout
The gif look like the same area, but he jumps and runs on the tree and it just rolls off off the cliff.

Did that guy call Link Zelda btw? Amateur
:lol: Yeah he did.

I haven't seen that bit. I saw one where someone fell off the tree, but not where the tree rolled off.

Ugh, if I play this I'm going to end up spending half my time chopping random tress for lols.
I'll probably spend my time seeing if it's possible to do this with a tree

That would be rather amusing.

Earthquake

Pokemon expert
:lol: Yeah he did.

I haven't seen that bit. I saw one where someone fell off the tree, but not where the tree rolled off.

I'll probably spend my time seeing if it's possible to do this with a tree

That would be rather amusing.
Hahahaha, I was thinking something similar, didn't know you could do it with rocks.

VeevaVee

The worst "V"
Scout
It seems like they've really focused on creative ways to be a dick to enemies in the game
That could be what adds the necessary depth to a non-RPG open world like this.

Not gonna lie, the more I see, the better it looks. Not buying a Wii for it though.

Raees

Pythagoras in Boots
Since all these retro threads started this is the one game which I am really upset about that I have never got to play.. might go on a retro console binge to get myself up to scratch on Zelda as it seems right up my alley (very fantasy with good puzzle solving/weapons etc).

On a seperate note, have to say I am suprised to see many of you picking link to the past as your favourite (is that the 2d one? as it doesn't look anywhere near as appealing as the 3d iterations of the game).

Fortitude

TV/Monitor Expert
Scout
Since all these retro threads started this is the one game which I am really upset about that I have never got to play.. might go on a retro console binge to get myself up to scratch on Zelda as it seems right up my alley (very fantasy with good puzzle solving/weapons etc).

On a seperate note, have to say I am suprised to see many of you picking link to the past as your favourite (is that the 2d one? as it doesn't look anywhere near as appealing as the 3d iterations of the game).
I should imagine timing is an intrinsic factor in that choice as 16bit Zelda was astonishing at the time. OoT was, too, but LttP, being a pre-cursor, could easily capture hearts even if it's arguable as to which is the better game.

Funnily enough, unless your eyes adjust and you are able to immerse yourself in the experience of OoT, the original graphics and polygon count might well be an eyesore to you now (if you're playing on an N64 as opposed to ramped up PC emulation) whereas LttP, with it's 2d graphics still looks brilliant in its original form.

It's a stretch, but try and get yourself a CRT to play a retro 3D RGB console as the games look optimised on that and awful on modern panels.

Raees

Pythagoras in Boots
I should imagine timing is an intrinsic factor in that choice as 16bit Zelda was astonishing at the time. OoT was, too, but LttP, being a pre-cursor, could easily capture hearts even if it's arguable as to which is the better game.

Funnily enough, unless your eyes adjust and you are able to immerse yourself in the experience of OoT, the original graphics and polygon count might well be an eyesore to you now (if you're playing on an N64 as opposed to ramped up PC emulation) whereas LttP, with it's 2d graphics still looks brilliant in its original form.

It's a stretch, but try and get yourself a CRT to play a retro 3D RGB console as the games look optimised on that and awful on modern panels.
I try and take the graphics out of the equation because it is unfair to judge old games with modern eyes. More the gameplay dynamics, I don't like the old school top down games so it is purely a personal thing for me.. I find it hard to understand why such an amazing game which for me comes to life even as someone who as never played it as a 3D spectacle.. I find it difficult to get why the same game is just as fun to play as a 2d top down game.

Whereas Sonic is best enjoyed as a 2d game, I fail to see how this concept can be applied to Zelda.. purely from a gameplay perspective, not a graphical one. Obviously so many of you rate it highly so it is obviously got something about it, but then again alot of people rate Final fantasy and I just don't get it as a game.

Fortitude

TV/Monitor Expert
Scout
I try and take the graphics out of the equation because it is unfair to judge old games with modern eyes. More the gameplay dynamics, I don't like the old school top down games so it is purely a personal thing for me.. I find it hard to understand why such an amazing game which for me comes to life even as someone who as never played it as a 3D spectacle.. I find it difficult to get why the same game is just as fun to play as a 2d top down game.

Whereas Sonic is best enjoyed as a 2d game, I fail to see how this concept can be applied to Zelda.. purely from a gameplay perspective, not a graphical one. Obviously so many of you rate it highly so it is obviously got something about it, but then again alot of people rate Final fantasy and I just don't get it as a game.
Give it a go and see. I'm sure you'll be dragged into the world in not time at all. The SNES has a lot of top-down RPG's that are the best of all-time, and remain so, so you're missing out on a gold mine there.

OoT still has immaculate gameplay and control mechanics - you have to play it on an N64 controller to truly appreciate how fluid and seamless that game and its controls are.

Just talking about these 2 makes me want to pull out the old systems and give them a go, they're that good.

Raees

Pythagoras in Boots
Give it a go and see. I'm sure you'll be dragged into the world in not time at all. The SNES has a lot of top-down RPG's that are the best of all-time, and remain so, so you're missing out on a gold mine there.

OoT still has immaculate gameplay and control mechanics - you have to play it on an N64 controller to truly appreciate how fluid and seamless that game and its controls are.

Just talking about these 2 makes me want to pull out the old systems and give them a go, they're that good.
Will do. Planning to buy a SNES in the next month or so.. and start collecting.

Raees

Pythagoras in Boots
Yay, I shall no longer be the loner on the Caf that I currently am :lol:
I think when you mentioned how much they can potentially fetch.. I saw a potential business opportunity :lol:

Raees

Pythagoras in Boots
Ah right, so that's your plan is it. I must remember that the next time I complain about the prices going up ;)
Twas said in jest. Truth is I feel very bitter about never having had a chance to play nintendo franchises and am rather bored with modern day games which all seemed to be FPS or FP adventure games.. so am looking forward to getting to grips with some all time classics.

Coming from a sega/sony/xbox background, should be good to see just how special these games really are. Also want any kids I have to be able to indulge in some retro gaming, so better stock up now before things get even harder to find.

Olly Gunnar Solskjær

Scout
Twas said in jest. Truth is I feel very bitter about never having had a chance to play nintendo franchises and am rather bored with modern day games which all seemed to be FPS or FP adventure games.. so am looking forward to getting to grips with some all time classics.

Coming from a sega/sony/xbox background, should be good to see just how special these games really are. Also want any kids I have to be able to indulge in some retro gaming, so better stock up now before things get even harder to find.
Well it's good to see you want to go back and play them, rather than just dismiss them as crap because they're old as some people do.

I can't even imagine having that amount of such brilliant, classic games to pick from and play for the first time :drool:

Fortitude

TV/Monitor Expert
Scout

If you want the true experience, don't use the internet when you're stuck. ;)

Jed I. Knight

The Mos Eisley Hillbilly

Good on you! I'll give you three SNES games epitomise what the golden age of Nintendo was all about for me:

The Legend of Zelda: A Link to the Past
Super Mario Bros. 3
Super Mario Kart

I could probably list 50 games you should be playing, without even thinking about it, but for me those games have everything that made the SNES great. All them are best enjoyed in the company of at least two other friends, with all of you taking turns playing! :D

Organic Potatoes

Supports
Colorado Rapids
Good on you! I'll give you three SNES games epitomise what the golden age of Nintendo was all about for me:

The Legend of Zelda: A Link to the Past
Super Mario Bros. 3
Super Mario Kart

I could probably list 50 games you should be playing, without even thinking about it, but for me those games have everything that made the SNES great. All them are best enjoyed in the company of at least two other friends, with all of you taking turns playing! :D
Mario 3 was on the NES. It is the best Mario game though...

Jed I. Knight

The Mos Eisley Hillbilly
Mario 3 was on the NES. It is the best Mario game though...
Oh man, that's a bad one from me. Of course it was on the NES! I just misremembered because we used to play it on the SNES (I got an SNES with one cartridge with all the NES Mario games.

But yeah, it is the Mario game, no doubt about it as far as I'm concerned. Super Mario World, which I know was a SNES game, is not too far behind though! :D

Olly Gunnar Solskjær

Scout
I always think of Mario 3 as a SNES game tbf, since the first time I played it was on Super Mario All-Stars. Great versions of the NES games.

Randall Flagg

Worst of the best
I always think of Mario 3 as a SNES game tbf, since the first time I played it was on Super Mario All-Stars. Great versions of the NES games.
I agree even though Nintendo purists wouldn't

But the very best versions of mario 1-3 are on the all stars pack on snes

Would buy the shit out of that if they re-re release it on switch

Organic Potatoes

Supports
Colorado Rapids
I agree even though Nintendo purists wouldn't

But the very best versions of mario 1-3 are on the all stars pack on snes

Would buy the shit out of that if they re-re release it on switch
Purists? :lol:

Those damned hipsters...they probably think The Last of Us is a PS3 game.