Gaming The Legend of Zelda | Earthquake: "It's actually ridiculously good, and keeps getting better." ★★★★★

Raees

Pythagoras in Boots
I had zero interest in a Nintendo Switch and I've never played a Zelda game in my life, but having watched some of this game and read a few reviews I have to say I'm tempted. This looks like something I would enjoy immensely. Are reviewers usually this glowing about new Zelda games?
Zelda always gets brilliant reviews but this one is era-defining for sure, No two ways about it. The others were usually talked about as great games and must haves but this one is being talked about as the greatest of all time on any console/any genre and it has only been a few days.

That and the fact the gameplay footage pretty much speaks for itself/plus universal acclaim, I think it is fair to say it more than justifies the hype and is definitely going to be game of the year and top 5 contender for greatest game of all time.

I have never played Zelda before but it looks like the perfect game.. sort of game i have always dreamt of. The others also looked special but for me this one has a touch of class which is just on another level completely. Man i am tempted to get the Switch.

amolbhatia50k

Sneaky bum time - Vaccination status: dozed off
Zelda always gets brilliant reviews but this one is era-defining for sure, No two ways about it. The others were usually talked about as great games and must haves but this one is being talked about as the greatest of all time on any console/any genre and it has only been a few days.

That and the fact the gameplay footage pretty much speaks for itself/plus universal acclaim, I think it is fair to say it more than justifies the hype and is definitely going to be game of the year and top 5 contender for greatest game of all time.

I have never played Zelda before but it looks like the perfect game.. sort of game i have always dreamt of. The others also looked special but for me this one has a touch of class which is just on another level completely. Man i am tempted to get the Switch.
You haven't even played it yet you think it's a definite contender to be among the best 5 games of all time?

Having said that it's a bit shitty that I was excited about possibly getting Horizon whereas this appears to be reviewed miles better and is on another console.

Redlambs

Creator of the Caftards comics
Officially the best poker player on RAWK.
You haven't even played it yet you think it's a definite contender to be among the best 5 games of all time?

Having said that it's a bit shitty that I was excited about possibly getting Horizon whereas this appears to be reviewed miles better and is on another console.
This is what annoys me about pre-game hype, at least the reviewers have played it :lol:

At the same time, you've gotta love enthusiasm. I come across a bit grumpy to new games at times (shock horror I know), but it's nice to still get that feeling every once in a while even for an old timer (in video game terms mind!!!) like me. Last time I got really excited pre-launch was for Resi-Evil 7 VR and Witcher 3, and look how those turned out :drool:

WhoDaGOAT

Ocarina of Time is and always will be the greatest video game of all time.

I'm not the gamer I once was, but always maintain an interest in video games franchises I grew up with i.e. FIFA, Zelda, etc.

Looks like a really interesting game.

Raees

Pythagoras in Boots

Based on what is being said by expert reviewers I would say that is the ballpark from which it should operate.

I can't give my opinion as I haven't played it but based on just watching substantial gameplay footage you can tell it's seriously special. I can't stop watching videos of it whereas with Horizon zero dawn I was wowed by the graphics but I don't find myself daydreaming as much watching video after video and this is from a guy that has only ever played PlayStation and never touched Nintendo.

TsuWave

i'm trying so hard not to impulse buy a switch just for BOTW. I keep reminding myself that I have a bunch of games to play and finish on ps4 so its best to wait and see how the Switch plays out.

either way, 2017 is one hell of a year. good to see one of my favorite series back to top form.

Maxii

Paad
I dont think they're likely to be too different. The Switch isnt all that powerful because its mobile, so its not like there's the same compromises you'd make going cross platform from PS3 to PS4.
Just watched this video. I'll be saving my money so :D

Maxii

Paad
Anyone start playing yet? I'll be picking it up on the way home from work later :drool:

Member 39557

I saw a review snippet that echoed my thoughts from the footage I've seen. They likened it to playing a Ghibli film.

Member 39557

feck I wanna play super mario galaxy again.

I also want super mario sunshine too.

I should buy a Wii.
Have you still got your wiiu?

Galaxy will play on that. You can download Galaxy 1 and 2 from the eshop too.

Member 39557

I don't sadly nah, sold it. Need a Nintendo console again though it's the best.
After inheriting a Gamecube and repurchasing some of my old favourite games, I decided not to sell another console.

Member 39557

I have Wind Waker, Majora's Mask and A Link Between Worlds to complete after I finish playing Ocarina on my 3ds. Only started it recently.
I'm tempted to buy Breath Of The Wild for the Wiiu, but it will have to wait until I at least finish Ocarina.

I've sat on these zelda games for years, still wrapped in plastic. I decided I have to play them this year!

Unmutual

I have Wind Waker, Majora's Mask and A Link Between Worlds to complete after I finish playing Ocarina on my 3ds. Only started it recently.
I'm tempted to buy Breath Of The Wild for the Wiiu, but it will have to wait until I at least finish Ocarina.

I've sat on these zelda games for years, still wrapped in plastic. I decided I have to play them this year!
Have you played them before?

SirAF

Ageist
Quick Q, I see that OoT is on the Wii U - is that game available to play on the Switch?

Damien

Self-Aware RedCafe Database (and Admin)
Staff
Been watching BOTW stream and it looks incredible. I don't have a Wii U and can't afford the Switch at the minute but for those who have either/can afford it, from what I've seen you won't regret getting it. Reviews and hype look very much warranted thus far.

Pyroblazer

That's a hot jacket, man
I only played Phantom Hourglass and hated it, did I just manage to catch a low point of the series?
Yeah worst game in the series by far. Spirit Tracks is a bit better, but the DS Zeldas aren't that great overall and like you said the low point in the series. Some would throw in Skyward Sword too, but while it is a bit annoying, it is also really really good when it does something interesting.

Super hyped for BotW. This gen reviewers don't throw out 10s like usual. The highest rated game this gen before Zelda was 93, so I think the 98 could really suggest a masterpiece.

RedMist99

Just picked my copy up. Didn't expect it to be £60 on the Wii U but I'm sure it'll be worth it.

Going to be a long three hours in work now...

kps88

Played for an hour or so. Solid start but I'm sure it will pick up. The controls are already confusing me using the Wii U gamepad. I've avoided reading much about the game but I do hope things get more Zelda-y. I'm talking classic Zelda music, heart containers, Epona etc. You can't even roll :(

Damien

Staff
Played for an hour or so. Solid start but I'm sure it will pick up. The controls are already confusing me using the Wii U gamepad. I've avoided reading much about the game but I do hope things get more Zelda-y. I'm talking classic Zelda music, heart containers, Epona etc. You can't even roll :(
Been watching a stream for a few hours and I've got the classic music vibe at times. Something I listened to sounded like the Hyrule field theme from OoT.
Not seen Epona but there are horses which you can name and you can jump over certain stuff like on OoT.

Unmutual

Me and the missus took a half day off to play this. An hour or so in and it's pretty stunning so far tbh. Spent most off that time climbing up tall stuff and gazing at the views.

Agree with @kps88 though, has a very diff feel to the previous games.

Revan

Assumptionman
Geez, the reviews for this are OOT-like, and the hype seems unreal. If it can be Ocarina of Time of this generation (and it is close to impossible) then surely it will be the best game on God's knows how long time.

Redlambs

An hour or so in, first power gained, I'm liking it. Obviously it's too early to tell, and the key will be in the little touches, but so far so good. Already there's lots to do and try, which is pretty sweet.

Oh and I've died loads already trying to take down some slightly powerful bokoblin chief who one shots you. Yeah, it's kind of souls-lite already :lol:

Alock1

Wears XXXL shirts and can't type ellipses
On the solid start, all the reviews all mentioned that one of the best things about the game is that it's still surprising you 30, 40, 60 hours in and is the gift that keeps on giving.

Redlambs

Only a few hours in, but this thing is ridiculous.
Come on, admit it...Did you do what I did the moment you opened Zelda?

It was a bit of a let down to be fair. I don't think small children will instantly spit it out :(

On the solid start, all the reviews all mentioned that one of the best things about the game is that it's still surprising you 30, 40, 60 hours in and is the gift that keeps on giving.
I can really see that being the case. From the first few minutes you are pretty free to mess around with the world and physics, and so far it pretty much teaches you the bare minimum. I'm almost shocked, considering how hand-holding Nintendo have been since the Wii.

Damien

Staff
Come on, admit it...Did you do what I did the moment you opened Zelda?

It was a bit of a let down to be fair. I don't think small children will instantly spit it out :(

I can really see that being the case. From the first few minutes you are pretty free to mess around with the world and physics, and so far it pretty much teaches you the bare minimum. I'm almost shocked, considering how hand-holding Nintendo have been since the Wii.
Think they leave the teaching for the
shrines. I've watched someone deal with 5 or 6 of them and in a couple of them were basic tutorials about dodging etc.

Damien

Staff
Is surprising how complicated/hard it is in places though, and some of the puzzles are very clever. The different abilities are a nice touch.

Randall Flagg

Worst of the best
It's an amazing game. Played it for two hours solid

Very very impressive

But I feel like I should have a little moan. The music hasn't done anything for me yet, and I miss the familiar Zelda sounds.