Television The Lord of the Rings: The Rings of Power

oates

No one is a match for his two masters degrees
Scout
Supports
Arsenal
[geek]Because the whole purpose of giving Frodo the ring to take to Mount Doom was to keep it hidden from Sauron. If they'd flown in on a massive bastard eagle then the big flying dragon bastards might have killed it and the ring would be given to Sauron to really up the "I'm a bad bastard" stakes. If Frodo had died and lost the ring on the way, then it would be lost to everyone, including Sauron, until it was found again by some other poor bastard.[/geek]
Oh yeah....you definitely are a geek with that one. :)

oates

Scout
Supports
Arsenal
I surely get some "cool" points by not knowing what the big flying dragon bastards are called
I took that as a bluff tbh, oh okay, 2pts

;)

Sweet Square

All the books and films were 'padded!' Why did none of them use the eagles to get to their destinations in a couple of hours or so?!!
Because the Eagles wouldn't have agreed to it. Their boss had different ideas.
[geek]Because the whole purpose of giving Frodo the ring to take to Mount Doom was to keep it hidden from Sauron. If they'd flown in on a massive bastard eagle then the big flying dragon bastards might have killed it and the ring would be given to Sauron to really up the "I'm a bad bastard" stakes. If Frodo had died and lost the ring on the way, then it would be lost to everyone, including Sauron, until it was found again by some other poor bastard.[/geek]

glazed

Eats diamonds to beat thermodynamics
The actual reason is that the Valar had fated Frodo to do the job (see dream sent to Boromir) and the eagles were their employees. The fix was in. These are of course the same Valar who could have just stomped Sauron themselves without breaking a sweat if they didn't have that other agenda. The same Valar who sent Gandalf but made him take the form of an old man so he couldn't do too much.

oates

Scout
Supports
Arsenal
Lovely bait, great hook, lots of fishes. Well played.
Did I really? Oh, great. But No, I did actually and literally (little hook there, 32 Eye) want to know. I took my chance to get the experts in on it you see?

You'll have me falling in the river next, seeing something, perhaps in the sand?

Revan

Assumptionman
The actual reason is that the Valar had fated Frodo to do the job (see dream sent to Boromir) and the eagles were their employees. The fix was in. These are of course the same Valar who could have just stomped Sauron themselves without breaking a sweat if they didn't have that other agenda. The same Valar who sent Gandalf but made him take the form of an old man so he couldn't do too much.
So essentially the Valar had PTSD cause one of them (Morgoth) kinda did massive damage to them, so instead they just didn't intervene vs Sauron, and left the Middle East to defend themselves with the help of some of their Maiar?

As @Mockney once said, God(s) is a cnut.

AngeloHenriquez

Supports
Stevenage
Haven't seen yet but obviously seen the amount of hate, rather than trawl through 30 pages, is it justified or a bit over the top? Don't want to watch and get invested if it's really poor and I enjoyed the Hobbit (While realising it's far less of a quality piece than the LOTR trilogy)

oates

Scout
Supports
Arsenal
So essentially the Valar had PTSD cause one of them (Morgoth) kinda did massive damage to them, so instead they just didn't intervene vs Sauron, and left the Middle East to defend themselves with the help of some of their Maiar?

As @Mockney once said, God(s) is a cnut.
Sorry, missed that one @Revan

:lol:

RedSky

Shepherd’s Delight
Scout
Haven't seen yet but obviously seen the amount of hate, rather than trawl through 30 pages, is it justified or a bit over the top? Don't want to watch and get invested if it's really poor and I enjoyed the Hobbit (While realising it's far less of a quality piece than the LOTR trilogy)
You'll enjoy it if you liked the Hobbit films as it's probably between the Hobbit and LOTR in terms of quality.

The hate is well over the top by the usual angry nerds that hate women and non white people.

Revan

Assumptionman
I found the story so far a bit boring, but the visuals are stunning, Galadriel seems interesting (and hot), and there is definitely some high potential there. It is better than the Hobbit movies though.

I much prefer House of the Dragon, but then ASOIAF > LotR for me, all the way.

tomaldinho1

Definitely worth watching and forming your own conclusions - it’s much better than the Hobbit already so I’m sure you’ll enjoy. First episode is a bit of a slog, second picks up a bit, hopefully third is a slam dunk.

AngeloHenriquez

Supports
Stevenage
You'll enjoy it if you liked the Hobbit films as it's probably between the Hobbit and LOTR in terms of quality.

The hate is well over the top by the usual angry nerds that hate women and non white people.
I found the story so far a bit boring, but the visuals are stunning, Galadriel seems interesting (and hot), and there is definitely some high potential there. It is better than the Hobbit movies though.

I much prefer House of the Dragon, but then ASOIAF > LotR for me, all the way.
Definitely worth watching and forming your own conclusions - it’s much better than the Hobbit already so I’m sure you’ll enjoy. First episode is a bit of a slog, second picks up a bit, hopefully third is a slam dunk.
Thanks guys, sometimes difficult to produce things held in such high standards and with such a following as naturally that will be the standard but appreciate the replies.

oates

Scout
Supports
Arsenal
To be totally fair, the Valar are somewhere between archangels and God.
Not up to your usually high self-imposed standards I'd have thought. :)

glazed

Eats diamonds to beat thermodynamics
It was more the massive amount of damage they themselves did the last two times they intervened to defeat Morgoth. But in this case it was a political agenda - they wanted to end the age of elves in middle earth and usher in the age of men - which required men and hobbits to win the day on their own.

The thing is they weren't on dragons at the beginning of the story. they only took to dragons when their horses were killed at the Ford at Bruinen.
Fellbeasts, not Dragons. The riders were Nazgul.

The Cat

Will drink milk from your hands
All the books and films were 'padded!' Why did none of them use the eagles to get to their destinations in a couple of hours or so?!!
Sorry but the Hobbit films were ridiculously so. The book does not have enough content to justify 3 movies - it's not even close.

The eagles question has been asked and answered a long time ago.

oates

Scout
Supports
Arsenal
Sorry but the Hobbit films were ridiculously so. The book does not have enough content to justify 3 movies - it's not even close.

The eagles question has been asked and answered a long time ago.
Thanks, but long ago I think it's possible that the question, the answer and I may not have met within the Tardis thing, Same time continuum, but ta all't same!

Fully Fledged

It was more the massive amount of damage they themselves did the last two times they intervened to defeat Morgoth. But in this case it was a political agenda - they wanted to end the age of elves in middle earth and usher in the age of men - which required men and hobbits to win the day on their own.

I wasn't the one who called them dragons. I was just going along with it. I know the riders were Nazgul.

oates

Scout
Supports
Arsenal
I'd always thought Nazgul was the beast/dragon.

edit, but no, the Nazgul was one of the nine riders, ring wraiths.

The Cat

Thanks, but long ago I think it's possible that the question, the answer and I may not have met within the Tardis thing, Same time continuum, but ta all't same!
It's all cool there isn't anything definitive in the books but I've read different reasons from secrecy to the eagles not being prepared to do it.

Re. The Hobbit I just remember loving the book it was one of the first I can remember reading so at my age these days I don't want the story changed :)

oates

Scout
Supports
Arsenal
It's all cool there isn't anything definitive in the books but I've read different reasons from secrecy to the eagles not being prepared to do it.

Re. The Hobbit I just remember loving the book it was one of the first I can remember reading so at my age these days I don't want the story changed :)
Yeah, I was just saying, I've seen the question asked before, I just never saw the answer. Not in the same room at the same time etc. :)

I read the LOR in one thick paper back when I was nine, we were all trying to race each other as kids which was absolutely childish and I didn't take any of it in really. Then I read The Hobbit which was so much better as a young kid, then maybe a couple of years later re-read The LOR, happily all in the order intended. The Hobbit was such a comparatively small/short book, it would have been so much better as one film, or a couple of minutes long, with eagles.

oates

Scout
Supports
Arsenal
Tolkien was born in the 19th century, he'd have gotten himself banned participating in culture war threads in no time at all.
Pfhffhf, he'd have stood no chance coming up against your average Northern European or Scandi (if available)

carnage.

Donaldo

Caf Vigilante
Supports
Arsenal
Dragons were useless. Just ate a horse one. And didn't even breathe fire at the big kites.

Member 125398

Which is the best lord, the Lord of the Rings or the Lord of the Dance?

Bobski

Amazon banning reviews to ward off the onslaught of the angry, racist, sexist, homophobic, incel trolls also has an added bonus of banning more reasoned critique of this. A billion spent and they have to protect their investment.

Am I being too cynical?

Either way, I am looking forward to the next episode, plenty of shows have started rough for a few episodes(or seasons, looking at you my beloved DS9) but picked up as it progressed. Is it another 2 this weekend?

caid

Amazon banning reviews to ward off the onslaught of the angry, racist, sexist, homophobic, incel trolls also has an added bonus of banning more reasoned critique of this. A billion spent and they have to protect their investment.

Am I being too cynical?

Either way, I am looking forward to the next episode, plenty of shows have started rough for a few episodes(or seasons, looking at you my beloved DS9) but picked up as it progressed. Is it another 2 this weekend?
I'm sure they're banning the silly 10 star reviews too

Bebe

I basically treat the internet as a whole as a seperate reality detached from normal, relevant existence. Its the only context it makes sense in.
Fully agreed. The internet is basically already what the "Metaverse" purports to be.

The Cat

Watching it now and on the 2nd episode. I think it's fine so far certainly better than it not existing.

A tower and a forge Celebrimbor seriously? Mad Sauron vibes.

Edit - I have read further and know now.

Last edited:

sullydnl

Ross Kemp's caf ID
Don't think there's been that much hate outside of the usual racist/incel/loser contingent of the internet who manage to yell the loudest. Most actual reviews have averaged out as generally positive. It's certainly better than The Hobbit films imo, which I thought were legitimately poor and ugly looking. So if you liked those then I'd give this a shot.