g = window.googletag || {}; googletag.cmd = googletag.cmd || []; window.googletag = googletag; googletag.cmd.push(function() { var interstitialSlot = googletag.defineOutOfPageSlot('/17085479/redcafe_gam_interstitial', googletag.enums.OutOfPageFormat.INTERSTITIAL); if (interstitialSlot) { interstitialSlot.addService(googletag.pubads()); } });

Television The Lord of the Rings: The Rings of Power

Witchking

Nope. A lot is happening.

Quite enjoyed the first two episodes. Too bad we have to wait a week for each episode. Felt like watching a movie...

ps. much better than House of the Dragon!!
Thank you man, will be catching up this weekend!

lsd

The Oracle

Quite enjoyed the first two episodes. Too bad we have to wait a week for each episode. Felt like watching a movie...

The second episode was a lot better. Is it weird I got more excited to see the Dwarves than I did about a Dragon in House of the Dragon

bosnian_red

Worst scout to ever exist

Definitely agree! The pacing is perfect, explaining everything but very interesting. House of the dragon just feels very secondary in comparison.

Gehrman

Phallic connoisseur, unlike shamans
Not really impressed with ep3. Wanted to see some of Meteor man

Red Shorts

Forrest Gimp
Probably the worst of the 3, but I suppose it is still building up.

Don't like how Galadriel has spent almost half of this season being lost, and will take another episode just to get back to Middle Earth.

GazTheLegend

I'm still vaguely amused that Galadriel just yeeted herself into the middle of whatever sea that was and decided to swim an entire ocean back. Is that true to the lore or just a random writers decision I wonder.

Also the rock-floating analogy is probably the single worst monologue I've seen in a fantasy for a while.

But with all that said it's a gorgeous show and I've enjoyed it a lot more than I expected so far. I'd say it's far superior to the Hobbit movies, for instance, which were unwatchable to me.

Red Shorts

Forrest Gimp
I'm still vaguely amused that Galadriel just yeeted herself into the middle of whatever sea that was and decided to swim an entire ocean back. Is that true to the lore or just a random writers decision I wonder.

Also the rock-floating analogy is probably the single worst monologue I've seen in a fantasy for a while.

But with all that said it's a gorgeous show and I've enjoyed it a lot more than I expected so far. I'd say it's far superior to the Hobbit movies, for instance, which were unwatchable to me.
All the main cities/locations have been breathtaking. Most major films don't have CGI as good as this.

Godfather

EP3 the worst yet? Oh God I already thought 1 and 2 were a bore. Well I'll watch it anyway. Didn't really expect much from the show anyway.

Jagga7

I am enjoying it despite it being full of cliché's. Gladriel smile while ridding the horse was one of the most unnerving smiles I have ever seen, what on earth was going on there?

I thought Halbrand might be Sauron but after the revelation he has royal ancestry, I think he will end up becoming one of the Nazgul.

Organic Potatoes

Supports
Colorado Rapids
What the hell was the point of the slo-mo horse scene? :lol: And the way it was shot it was like they had just ridden out of the ocean.

The show is watchable, still ‘just better than The Hobbit or Wheel of Time at least’ for now. But it’s not blowing me away.

Last edited:

Gehrman

The elves in LOTR had this other wordly aura. In this show, you can only tell they are elves by the pointy ears and that's it.

Red Shorts

Forrest Gimp
I am enjoying it despite it being full of cliché's. Gladriel smile while ridding the horse was one of the most unnerving smiles I have ever seen, what on earth was going on there?

I thought Halbrand might be Sauron but after the revelation he has royal ancestry, I think he will end up becoming one of the Nazgul.
Not a bad theory that

Donaldo

Caf Vigilante
Supports
Arsenal
The Witch-King of Angmar

amolbhatia50k

Sneaky bum time - Vaccination status: dozed off
Shame to hear that this isn't good. Amazon not making the most of an great opportunity. The movies are fricking all time greats.

Red Shorts

Forrest Gimp
Shame to hear that this isn't good. Amazon not making the most of an great opportunity. The movies are fricking all time greats.
I wouldn't go so far as saying it isn't good. It was always going to be a big ask to replicate the success and adoration of the trilogy.

There is a balance of pros of cons to this. We have only seen 3 episodes too which has focussed a lot on setting the groundwork for this season as well as overall series. If you havent started now and are happy to wait, I would recommend waiting until end of October when all episodes are out and you can watch without delay, or wait until everyone gives a summarised opinion

caid

Its not bad either. Dont think its particularly suited to a weekly schedule. Still early i guess, hope it picks up a bit over the season.

Bobski

The Galadriel slow mo had me waiting for the voice over trying to sell me a car.

It is so very pretty, but the writing is not up to scratch. Pick and Mix of the things they want to use from Tolkien as well, that would be fine if it made for a great show but when it is hovering around average it becomes another issue to irritate.

It is definitely not bad though, the productions values, the sets, the Orc design and how they have made them a tangible threat again, the music, they are all top notch and seeing some elements of that world brought to life with such quality is a joy, but hamstrung by some shitty writing and characterization so far.

Last edited:

Gehrman

Not sure it's bad. It's just that predictably the writing is very medicore. It really just feels like they are trying to milk it. On the other hand, they have all the time in the world to create a true epic. I've watched 3 hours now and it feels like nothing has really happened apart from meteor man.

sport2793

It's definitely better than the Hobbit films, time will tell how much better though.

Nou_Camp99

what would Souness do?
I'm really enjoying it. I just think some people can't see past the films sadly. This was never ever going to live up to them so if you went in thinking it might you will understandably feel short changed.

Sounds like they plan on making series after series too so this is just the beginning really.

Swedish_Plumber

Think if they can tread water with a decent amount of the fan base this season (I’m enjoying it) then the writing can always get better in future seasons (?)

Hope it can set up bigger things to come to a decent enough standard.

Lecland07

A bit too much flying around in the fighting. Not my style, to be honest.

Seemed a pretty flat episode the third one.

Mogget

Supports
Arsenal
Yeah episode 3 has definitely been my favourite so far. It's such a pretty show

ha_rooney

Correctly predicted France to win World Cup 2018
The horse scene was a bit random but otherwise a good episode.

P-Nut

fan of well-known French footballer Fabinho
Enjoyed every episode so far. Think I'd enjoy them even more if I could binge them as watching just 1 today felt a bit crap, but I know if I tried waiting until the end I'd get a load of spoilers so I'll just watch it now and then likely rematch before the finale

Eriku

About to watch the 3rd episode, but I just have to say that I looooove the intro. I’m assuming it’s more or less depicting the music of the Ainur, and I love how they do the whole patterns of sand on a vibrating plate to illustrate it.

Habs

Strange, thought the 3rd episode was the best so far. Come on here and everyone hates it :lol:

caid

Strange, thought the 3rd episode was the best so far. Come on here and everyone hates it :lol:
I liked a lot of parts of it. I think part of my bad review is the length. Its hard to get engaged in a story this broad in 1 hour pieces. I enjoyed the first 2 episodes more and watching them an hour or two apart but i think thats just how they were delivered. They have me hooked on a couple of storylines but possibly getting a 5 min piece every week or two is just such a slow, slow burn. I'll watch the first season but probably not as its delivered. I dont think I have a strong opinion on the quality, it could go either way with it being neither amazing or terrible so far. It looks great, its probably worth a watch for that.

lsd

The Oracle
A nothing episode after a decent second episode. Slow motion house riding we could do without and a lot more po faced dialogue.

They really need to stop their fake introduction of characters too. At least for times now they have mentioned a name and then cut away before we get to see who they are.

iammemphis

iwillnotaskforanamechangeagain
God im just gonna say it, but i just hate the Norri and Harfoot scenes, with them just chatting a load of Leprechaun bollocks while a young French and Saunders meander about fecking shit up.

The rest of it is pretty brilliant, though one or two of the new actors in episode 3 feel really hammy.

Member 125398

It really is quite good isn't it. Well paced, good character development, good acting and not too obvious exposition.The production is of a level never seen before on television. It's so easy to watch and, as soon as it's finished, I can't wait for more.

nimic

something nice
Scout
It really is quite good isn't it. Well paced, good character development, good acting and not too obvious exposition.The production is of a level never seen before on television. It's so easy to watch and, as soon as it's finished, I can't wait for more.
Some of the dialogue is pretty bad. Also, the orc method of hiding seemed a bit silly. I had to laugh a bit when the camera zoomed out and showed this incredibly conspicuous "tunnel", with 100 meters of chopped down forest on both sides. Why didn't they just dig the tunnel a little bit deeper, and not have to make that silly roof?

Still, it's worth a watch, I suppose. The production value is good, as you say.

Edit: what was with that horse scene? Have we been shown that Galadriel really loves horses, or something?