The 'Manchester Is Blue' Thread

.Rossi

ever get that feeling of déjà vu?
Two to three months was the original prognosis. He's not likely to be playing for several weeks. This correlates pretty closely to the expected recovery time. Why the paranoia?
I said it was perfectly legit and that it wasn't at all suspicious. Best treatment in the world is in Barcelona.

As if I'd be suggesting anything dodgy at all...

el magico

Supports
Manchester City
I said it was perfectly legit and that it wasn't at all suspicious. Best treatment in the world is in Barcelona.

As if I'd be suggesting anything dodgy at all...
Apologies. Of course you wouldn't..

padr81

Supports
Man City
Things like this are what make us look so petty.

Better run club atm? Possibly, Better team atm? almost certainly, Better manager? yup, Bigger club? Nope.

robinamicrowave

Wanted to be bran, ended up being littlefinger
Supports
Man City
God, I almost felt sorry for you...for a moment
That wasn't my intention. It's just hard facts really.

We have a local support that's smaller than our stadium's capacity and we're not popular enough globally yet for the remaining 2-3,000 seats to be filled up by tourists. Add in the factor that quite a lot of die-hard City fans can no longer afford to go and haven't been able to since around 2013 and you've probably got your explanation for why our Champions' League games tend to be played in front of 75% of our usual attendance.

I've never been sure why it's such a big point for rivals to dig at each other over their attendances. Most of us are working class and know it's hard to make ends meet and go to football games at the same time. We should be working together to bring prices down, not using it as a stick to beat the other with. City fans do it as well and it kind of drives me mad. I remember your Europa League games under Van Gaal having a fair few empty seats, and immediately we were grabbing photos and laughing about it? The most concerning thing about La Liga choosing to play games in America is that, sadly, they see that attendances are dropping because people can no longer afford to go - but instead of bringing prices down so more people can attend, they sell the games to another country. It's like Richard Scudamore's idea to change the rules of the game so that matches are 60 minutes because supporters "aren't getting value for money" with the ball going out of play so often. Their first thought is always to change the fundamental aspects of the game before they'd even consider dropping prices. The fact is, whether you're red or blue, we're all in this together and it does worry me that people not being able to afford to watch football anymore is a point of ridicule?

burnageboy

Supports
Man City
I can only speak from a Chelsea p.o.v

When we were bought we were happy humbled, and all that. We were a good cup team and had good players prior to that. There was a connection between the club and the fans that was built over time, We had the big bad Arsenal as our version of united while we were just failing. When we got into the UCL we cherish it the bridge is full for every game and even some Europa games we sell out the bridge but you will never see that much amount of empty seats for a UCL game at the bridge never.

City tried to do a Chelsea but it didn't work, We went from 0 to a 100 real quick with winning right after we were bought, you guys took years to win something. We were robbed in the UCL 09 ghost goal at anfield etc etc but we kept on coming back because this is the pinnacle of club football to be crowned Kings of Europe the ultimate bragging rights of any fan. Ask Madrid fans if you think they are tired of winning the UCL. Bayern fans are begging for a UCL victory. liverpool fans just want to win something, anything.

While at City you have Pep playing some of the greatest football in europe world class players and your stadium is empty. The fanbase just doesn't exist.
a tad absurd. No fanbase and empty stadium? City don't have the fan base of many of the top 4-5 clubs in England and might only fill the stadium on the occasion of the big games. What the reason is for lack of uptake of tickets for the group stages of the CL, I have no idea. It is what it is and those of us that to go to all home and away games don't really care whether we do or dont have 10,000 less attending a CL group game compared to a normal PL game. Chelsea - bigger support - Bayern, Utd, Liverpool, Real, Barca etc, etc - all bigger support and filling out their stadiums for most CL games, its a given. But on all fronts, with the exception of the CL, since the City takeover, we are on a parr with Chelsea in terms of titles and trophies. From your takeover in 2003, it took you until 2012 to win the CL - 9 years. Unless City win it this year, we will be behind you.

In the meantime, try getting your owner to sort you out a decent size ground to provide for your fanbase. Arsenal and Tottenham are way ahead of you on that front.

burnageboy

Supports
Man City
Maybe I'm looking at it from a different angle - Taking into consideration that city have just amassed 100 points in the PL, then they were 'robbed'(their words) by an official in their quarter final of the CL last season, were they were going to go on win it, which is what they told us, they then told us all that they will come back and will win it next year and will also win the PL once again - so wouldn't you want to be there to say ' I saw all the games' ? And also have the ticket credits to make sure you got to those all important quarter and semi-final as as well as the final?

I'm not trying to stick the knife ion here on city's fanbase, but what is it that they actually want? They're not bothered by European competitions, yet they want to win everything, they're supposedly best fans in the land, but won't go and support their team in large numbers befitting of a team in such high adulation, they complain about the pricing yet are offered the best priced ticket package that I pretty much know for a fact - every other English team in the CL fanbase, would snatch their respective clubs hand off if they were offered that,whihc makes me wonder, what is it they actually want? Free entry to every game and everyone to bow down to them because they have won the PL and affirmed as the richest club on the planet and have had this massive complex built for them around their pre-paid ground? I just don't know what it is.
Every club have their own story about being 'robbed' of all sorts of results. Even last night against Hoffenheim, apart from the Hoffenheim fans, no one can say it was not an outright penalty for their goalkeeper challenge on Sane or the reason for pulling back the throw in by Silva, putting Sane through one on one with the keeper. Yes, as was supported by all the pundits and game reports from the Quarter Final of the CL, City were 'robbed' of what would have been a different result. I don't think you will find any City 'official' stating City would have eventually won the CL were it not for being robbed earlier. Again, no official at City as ever stated they were going to come and a 'Win' anything. They do state that City want to try and win every competition they enter into and having experienced successes in the PL, FA & League cups, the CL remains the holy grail.

Every fan base claim their are the best fans in the land. That has noting to do with the City fans relationship with UEFA and their reluctance to engage with the CL to the same extent as most PL, FA Cup and League cup games. But I think you will find that the better CL fixtures at City have seen the stadium sold out and should we progress from the group stages and get some decent fixtures, it will sell out again. For whatever reason, many City fans do have a serious 'beef' with UEFA, rightly or wrongly, and have decided to translate that into not going to the lesser CL matches. But then, it works the other way around. Lyon, could only manage to send over 400+ fans for their game at the Etihad, despite knowing that their next home game in the CL was going to behind closed doors. And it was an easy trip from Lyon to Manchester......................it goes on right around Europe.

You do mention an interesting point about free entry into every game. As we know, the top english sides could still make a profit without any match day revenue. Perhaps the CL should be free, though still not sure that would fill the 10,000 empty seats!

.Rossi

Why would you post that here?
To illustrate that 'Manchester is blue'?
Maybe he want's a City lover banner?
To illustrate how f**king low we've sank!

Can't sell tickets on the back that it's Manchester United vs Juventus, in the CL, so we say "hey, come see Ronaldo's comeback"

City might be a non entity. No one truly cares about City but, this shit is just as bad as anything they've done or do. It's pathetic and I am embarrassed

Sassy Colin

Death or the gladioli!
Aliens are in control of my tagline & location
To illustrate how f**king low we've sank!

Can't sell tickets on the back that it's Manchester United vs Juventus, in the CL, so we say "hey, come see Ronaldo's comeback"

City might be a non entity. No one truly cares about City but, this shit is just as bad as anything they've done or do. It's pathetic and I am embarrassed
Not complaining about you posting it, just not in this awful thread. :)

.Rossi

Not complaining about you posting it, just not in this awful thread. :)
Well, the place isn't blue. There mere fact Liverpool's season and us being shit is taking up more media time than Saint Pep and his disciples. That says it all. No one cares!

However, if Paul Pogba is supposed to be representing how red Manchester is, I'd be considering moving

That Juventus ticket thing is heartbreaking tbh

Sassy Colin

Death or the gladioli!
Aliens are in control of my tagline & location
Well, the place isn't blue. There mere fact Liverpool's season and us being shit is taking up more media time than Saint Pep and his disciples. That says it all. No one cares!

However, if Paul Pogba is supposed to be representing how red Manchester is, I'd be considering moving

That Juventus ticket thing is heartbreaking tbh
Like I have mentioned in at least 2 other threads, if Mourinho can't put bums on seats, he won't be lasting much longer. It will be a very big factor in how soon he gets the sack.

Speedicut75

To reiterate, as indicated by others: It is fecking foul, weather wise, here today and I'd give plaudits to anyone turning out to sit in an open stadium for 90+ mins.

AaronRedDevil

Bloody traffic!
I saw plenty of empty seats when United were playing Juventus at OT. Barely means anything. But saying City are a bigger club then United? Hell no. But they're are now more attractive in almost every other way.

Verminator

To reiterate, as indicated by others: It is fecking foul, weather wise, here today and I'd give plaudits to anyone turning out to sit in an open stadium for 90+ mins.
Do you seriously believe that United would have those gaps if we were playing like City, because of the weather?
Not just United. Liverpool, Arsenal, Chelsea?
Even smaller teams would be packed out.

tedketterman

Do you seriously believe that United would have those gaps if we were playing like City, because of the weather?
Not just United. Liverpool, Arsenal, Chelsea?
Even smaller teams would be packed out.
Plenty teams who play shite football pack their stadiums whatever the weather. There's just not that many real City fans.

Dante

Average bang
It is raining, but not that heavily. And it's 3 degrees outside. Cold, but not unbearably so.

I'd take the time of year as an excuse, but not the weather. Still, it doesn't look good on City.

MDFC Manager

I saw plenty of empty seats when United were playing Juventus at OT. Barely means anything. But saying City are a bigger club then United? Hell no. But they're are now more attractive in almost every other way.
Except that we've the superior manager, wherea theirs is a checkbook one. Or so I'm told.

Sterling Archer

That wasn't my intention. It's just hard facts really.

We have a local support that's smaller than our stadium's capacity and we're not popular enough globally yet for the remaining 2-3,000 seats to be filled up by tourists. Add in the factor that quite a lot of die-hard City fans can no longer afford to go and haven't been able to since around 2013 and you've probably got your explanation for why our Champions' League games tend to be played in front of 75% of our usual attendance.

I've never been sure why it's such a big point for rivals to dig at each other over their attendances. Most of us are working class and know it's hard to make ends meet and go to football games at the same time. We should be working together to bring prices down, not using it as a stick to beat the other with. City fans do it as well and it kind of drives me mad. I remember your Europa League games under Van Gaal having a fair few empty seats, and immediately we were grabbing photos and laughing about it? The most concerning thing about La Liga choosing to play games in America is that, sadly, they see that attendances are dropping because people can no longer afford to go - but instead of bringing prices down so more people can attend, they sell the games to another country. It's like Richard Scudamore's idea to change the rules of the game so that matches are 60 minutes because supporters "aren't getting value for money" with the ball going out of play so often. Their first thought is always to change the fundamental aspects of the game before they'd even consider dropping prices. The fact is, whether you're red or blue, we're all in this together and it does worry me that people not being able to afford to watch football anymore is a point of ridicule?
With you on this. These threads are pathetic once they go beyond a bit of ribbing - emptihad's a funny joke name - and become weekly screen grabs.

Was thinking about City's move from Maine Rd. Why did they choose to do so at such a stage? If I recall, the capacity wasn't far off from say, Highbury. And of course at that time of the move the club was not yet bought out. There really wasnt sporting reason to change was there?

Chipper

Adulterer.
The weather! :lol:

Only people who all sit together in decent sized groups have been affected by it and decided not to bother then?

OldSchoolManc

Why is the stadium half empty on 90 minutes, when they are winning 3-1, with 4 minutes added on?
Are the paid actors not paid to applaud the players at the final whistle? Must be off to another gig.
At 14.20, on a Saturday afternoon, the pitiful scene of an farcical support.

el magico

Supports
Manchester City
With you on this. These threads are pathetic once they go beyond a bit of ribbing - emptihad's a funny joke name - and become weekly screen grabs.

Was thinking about City's move from Maine Rd. Why did they choose to do so at such a stage? If I recall, the capacity wasn't far off from say, Highbury. And of course at that time of the move the club was not yet bought out. There really wasnt sporting reason to change was there?
From memory Maine Road held about 34000 (including two temporary stands in the corners by the Kippax), the new ground held 48000 and was immediately full. Plus it had all the potential around it in terms of land to be redeveloped and remained in an area of core support. The Commonwealth games provided the opportunity for both parties and everyone has benefited. City's loyal support plus the ground situation were possibly the two biggest factors in the takeover.

I still miss the pubs around Maine Road though..

SillyUsername

Tbh that image from today isn’t even that empty. There have been many more bright blue seats on show for other games this season from what I’ve seen on highlights.

Sterling Archer

From memory Maine Road held about 34000 (including two temporary stands in the corners by the Kippax), the new ground held 48000 and was immediately full. Plus it had all the potential around it in terms of land to be redeveloped and remained in an area of core support. The Commonwealth games provided the opportunity for both parties and everyone has benefited. City's loyal support plus the ground situation were possibly the two biggest factors in the takeover.

I still miss the pubs around Maine Road though..
Okay, the contributing geography factor is important. The jump in capacity, I understand that it makes sense to allow that when making a big move anyway. I'm just a fan of smaller stadiums - stateside one of the best things for football has been moving MLS teams to their own grounds when possible. On most occasions it means going from a 60-90k American football stadium to something half the size. And the result is a supremely more enjoyable and memorable atmosphere. If the game ever grows enough I'm sure you'll see the big stadiums come in too but you really lose something. Not to mention have to fill a lot of seats when economies are down

Trizy

Aye but we don't win often or score 5 goals a game. We are puke to watch.

zenith

Clubs like Chelsea, city and PSG need to keep winning to stay relavent in the footballing world. On top of that they need to keep playing attractive football and maintain fan goodwill as well. There are others such as us , Liverpool arsenal and the Spanish clubs who have a rich heritage which will sustain even through relegation and then there are those such as Bilbao, dortmound, West ham among others who are so rooted in their local history and fan base that nothing else matters .

The money bag clubs will forever keep striving for something which money simply cannot buy.