The media-pedalled notion that we should drop Ronaldo

RUCK4444

Not just the media, a bunch of utter muppets on here too, @RUCK4444 guilty I think? Amongst about 100 others.
Guilty of what? I’m literally his biggest fan and want him to play every game bud.

Never said any different. Ronnie doesn’t press but he never has, he never pressed when he was 18 so I don’t know why anybody expected that he would at 36.

Dante

Average bang
Ronaldo's has weaknesses that need to be mitigated =/= Ronaldo should be dropped

Last edited:

tjb

That nonsense about pressing. Him and Bruno are consistently providing our magic moments, despite not having the support of a solid attacking structure to go off of. Greenwood, Sancho and Rashford suffer as a result of that lack of structure, so despite how good Greenwood may look on his own in a game, the lack of connectivity in the attack makes it almost impossible for him to be positioned with the ball in positive attacking situations. Sancho coming in pretty much proves that point. Put any of City's attackers in our team and I feel the same thing would happen. Same goes for Liverpool ( bar Salah) and Chelsea. It's not the midfield, its the shape, pressing, structure, build up. Ole needs to improve tactically or leave. We can't waste the sheer level of talent we currently have.

Lewnited

Guilty of what? I’m literally his biggest fan and want him to play every game bud.

Never said any different. Ronnie doesn’t press but he never has, he never pressed when he was 18 so I don’t know why anybody expected that he would at 36.
Yeah agreed, I don't know why there was this sudden expectation otherwise :lol: But the things he does do, he does brilliantly!

No prob. The goat has to play, what we need to do is make the absolute most of him, get up the pitch and sustain some attacks.

If we did that like we should be (as a team with our quality) he’d be scoring even more.
Agreed. He's absolutely lethal and should still be the difference between us winning titles or not, he shouldn't simply be the guy who forces past the CL and helps us get 4th spot in the league.

Rightnr

Wants players fined for winning away.
Neville should apologise by not doing punditry for a month

tomaldinho1

Just shows how out of touch they are, they've been out of professional football way too long

predator

Youth NITK
Whoever criticised him or called for him to be dropped were brave at the time and now should be called out for it.

Just don't call him out. His finishing is the best ever.

JebelSherif

Supports
Huddersfield Town
Seeing as the main thread questioning the decision to buy Ronaldo has been locked (not sure why) I shall put this here.... a brilliant piece in the Guardian today includes this line:

"Ronaldo will solve the problems that Ronaldo creates."

That sums things up perfectly. People need to stop getting giddy about Ronaldo coming to the rescue all the time. Had that £580,000 per week been invested on a DM, the team wouldn't keep going behind in the first place.... OK, it wouldn't have the same romantic/nostalgic effect, but how long can he keep pulling rabbits out of hats at 36, anyway?

(https://www.theguardian.com/footbal...main-in-thrall-to-strolling-cristiano-ronaldo)

Valencia Shin Crosses

Seeing as the main thread questioning the decision to buy Ronaldo has been locked (not sure why) I shall put this here.... a brilliant piece in the Guardian today includes this line:

That sums things up perfectly. People need to stop getting giddy about Ronaldo coming to the rescue all the time. Had that £580,000 per week been invested on a DM, the team wouldn't keep going behind in the first place.... OK, it wouldn't have the same romantic/nostalgic effect, but how long can he keep pulling rabbits out of hats at 36, anyway?

(https://www.theguardian.com/footbal...main-in-thrall-to-strolling-cristiano-ronaldo)
What an idiotic take. Buying Declan Rice instead of Ronaldo would have us probably in a worse position because we'd still be horrific defensively while not getting rescued in the UCL instead. And stop mentioning his fecking age, he isn't some random bloke hitting the pub after the game and he's still the best goal scorer in the world along with Lewa.

Artimities

Tom Brady is still playin American Football at the highest level and he is in his early 40's
Ronaldo, Ibra and several other elite atheletes have taken good enough care of their bodies to benefit from playing at an older age. With technology advancing and medical science we need to realize that player will be playing at older ages and its more about finding the balance of experience versus youth. Wisdom versus pace.

MDFC Manager

I love how his wages are brought into question, because there's no transfer fee to talk about :lol:. Declan Rice would have cost £100m, which we didn't have.

Irwin99

As others have said, I think the most irritating thing from my perspective is that there seems to be this narrative that we were a well oiled machine before Ronaldo came in and we've had to change to accommodate him and the first part of that is absolute bs.

Our points tally for out first season under Ole was absolutely dire-66points- and yet we somehow scraped 3rd place on the final game of the season. Jose's first season had him finish with 69 points in 6th place. The second season was better but the football was largely shite and victories were often won by the narrowest of margins amid mediocre performances.

Ronaldo brings an elite mentality to the team and a ridiculous goal scoring record but the problems the team has have long been evident and they're not going to go away.

rpg

Ronaldo currently at 36 i see he is still the sharpest shooter in the game. I will have him of all players at the end of any chances any day.

Artimities

It really is getting old listening to the same old rhetoric about him. He continues to score goals and for that alone should keep the age remarks out of peoples mouths, yet... constantly talking about how he hurts the team or doesnt do anything for the whole game.
If i were the manager I would set the team up as 10 plus him. Meaning, he is good enough to get his goals without others focusing on him. If the team can learn to play around him, they can be dangerous. He is always a threat to score, so focusing on the other attackers seems like a better way to play it out.
Either way, without him we would be in a much worse place I fear.

Reactions: Cheimoon

Bebestation

Im a doctor btw, my IQ destroys yours
https://www.google.com/amp/s/thebus...e-defensive-problems-cristiano-ronaldo-brings

Great article about the defensive problems Ronaldo brings.

Not for the light hearted, please don't read it if it will hurt you just to take it out on me.

Pictures, Stats, Videos and interviews, everything. Proof.

INTRO:
" United finished last season second in the Premier League in goals scored, but sixth in shots, fifth in non-penalty xG, and a whopping ninth in xG per shot. They did have the third highest npG-xG, which means that only two teams (Manchester City and Tottenham) outperformed their xG more than United did, a testament to their finishing ability.

Those numbers don’t suggest that United’s problem was ‘lack of ruthless finishers.’ Quite the contrary, it tells you the problem was more being able to create shots, and good ones at that.

Cristiano Ronaldo does not solve that problem. If you create the chances, he is (probably) the best in the world at putting them in the net, but those chances still need to be created. So what does Ronaldo do when he’s not finishing chances? These days the answer is, not much else, and it wasn’t hard to see that this was going to cause problems."

Last edited:

Reapersoul20

Can Anderson score? No.
https://www.google.com/amp/s/thebus...e-defensive-problems-cristiano-ronaldo-brings

Great article.

Not for the light hearted, please don't read it if it will hurt you just to take it out on me.

Pictures, Stats, Videos and interviews, everything. Proof.

" United finished last season second in the Premier League in goals scored, but sixth in shots, fifth in non-penalty xG, and a whopping ninth in xG per shot. They did have the third highest npG-xG, which means that only two teams (Manchester City and Tottenham) outperformed their xG more than United did, a testament to their finishing ability.

Those numbers don’t suggest that United’s problem was ‘lack of ruthless finishers.’ Quite the contrary, it tells you the problem was more being able to create shots, and good ones at that.

Cristiano Ronaldo does not solve that problem. If you create the chances, he is (probably) the best in the world at putting them in the net, but those chances still need to be created. So what does Ronaldo do when he’s not finishing chances? These days the answer is, not much else, and it wasn’t hard to see that this was going to cause problems."

:lol: :lol:

After all of this, you still -...

:lol:

Fair play.

The Siege

We aren't the team Ronaldo should be playing in, is how I feel this should be phrased.
Not because we're beneath him or anything, but Ronaldo at this point needs accommodating, not someone you can throw on and consistently expect to trouble defenders.
Ole's lack of tactical ability has already left him with a bunch of players who he has no clue what to do with, Ronaldo's another name on the list at the moment.
He fits no attack that the team builds, which is pretty much all focused on predictable pacey wing forward play at this point, occasionally accompanied by a wingback overload.
So what he's on the pitch for is basically a moment of individual brilliance from Bruno or Pogba to play him in close enough to goal so he can do the one thing he does brilliantly regardless of what his age is - finish. We have a shit plan A that Ronaldo has no real part to play in aside from a few connecting passes, and our plan B is hoping Ronaldo buries one.

Lentwood

The point of having a manager and coaches is to find solutions that lead to the team as a collective being better than the sum of its parts. There is arguably only one team in world football (City) who had the luxury of working from a blank canvas with unlimited funds, and could build a near-perfect squad as a result. All other clubs have to find workarounds.

The point is, Ronaldo is not THE problem right now, but his physical limitations at 36 can be a problem if we don't find a way of covering his weaknesses and playing to his strengths.

Think about it, we're forever talking about what our players can't do. Maguire isn't as quick as van Dijk. AWB isn't great on the ball. Lindelof is poor in the air. McFred aren't great at passing forwards. Greenwood is too greedy to be a wide-player. Rashford struggles against a low-block. Martial doesn't work hard enough. Pogba drifts through games leaving gaps. Bruno presses at the wrong times, gives the ball away too often and plays in the wrong areas. Matic isn't mobile. I could go on and on. However, there is no such thing as a "perfect player", and I think our total lack of organisation and chaotic approach to matches brutally exposes our players at times.

Nobody is telling me that these aren't good players. You can split hairs when comparing one player to another, but I don't think Liverpool or Chelsea have significantly better individuals, they are just far more organised and play effectively as a team

Spaghetti

Mom's
He doesn’t need dropping, he needs using properly. Same as most of the players.

McTominay and Fred are starters, and play important roles, for their national teams. Yet they are on the verge of becoming memes for their club form.

Pogba is a World Cup winner and a leading player in multiple serie A titles. Can’t pass or tackle for United and hasn’t scored a goal in months.

Sancho and Maguire were playing so well for their previous clubs that they cost close to 100m each, yet they look like Sunday league players.

Lindelof is the captain for an in-form Sweden. “Rubbish and needs replacing” for United.

By point being, Ronaldo is not the problem, and benching him isn’t going to solve the deep problems that United have.

Ixion

If people had actually given the disastrous Europa League Final more scrutiny they'd realise our problems existed long before Ronaldo returned but Ole was just gven a free pass.

Iker Quesadillas

Supports
Real Madrid
I don't think Ronaldo should be dropped but I'm surprised United are playing him so much.

Bebestation

Im a doctor btw, my IQ destroys yours
Playing with 10 men. He does absolutely shit all except put the ball in the net. Playing with a cigar on the middle of the pitch doing crap all.

He doesn't even stay centrally in the game - he is seen alot of the time on the left hand side of the pitch because he was a LW in his prime. We do not have a central striker alot of the time. No hold up play. No link up play. Nothing.

Him scoring a goal means shit all to me.

We were not this bad last year and the only thing that changed was we got a new starter who is our striker who wasn't wasn't a striker in his prime.

Ole is just a crap manager to not realise this.

I don't care how many of you lot think that every 10 player in our team is shit - except Ronaldo, because he hasn't got his chances - but what has Ronaldo given to the rest of the team?

Worse than last year because of him. We were no where near this bad last year.

Gehrman

Phallic connoisseur, unlike shamans
Playing with 10 men. He does absolutely shit all except put the ball in the net. Playing with a cigar on the middle of the pitch doing crap all.

He doesn't even stay centrally in the game - he is seen alot of the time on the left hand side of the pitch because he was a LW in his prime. We do not have a central striker alot of the time. No hold up play. No link up play. Nothing.

We were not this bad last year and the only thing that changed was we got a new starter who is our striker who wasn't wasn't a striker in his prime.

I don't care how many of you lot think that every 10 player in our team is shit - except Ronaldo, because he hasn't got his chances - but what has Ronaldo given to the rest of the team?

It's quite amazing to see the biggest Ronaldo fanboy in the Messi vs Ronaldo thread say this.

But yeah he's a poacher, if he doesn't score, he offers very little. Still the whole team is disjointed. For now I'll blame Ole.

George Bright

Dropping Ronaldo will sort the defensive woes. Brilliant!
We have a coach who sought a right winger for ages and finally got one but now plays him on the left when he rarely plays and Ronaldo is the problem.

I don't think his signing was necessary, but thinking he's "the problem" is idiotic!

Di Maria's angel

Captain of Moanchester United
Yes, its Ronaldos fault we're so shit. Not the fact that we can't actually play football because we're managed by someone who should lead a circus.

Jeppers7

Pogfamily Mafia

This is literally zero to do with Ronaldo. We have had no control of this game and our defence is a shambles. Our midfield is shockingly bad and Bruno appears pissed. He’s all over the place and it isn’t an exception. He lacks the control needed in his game to help the team, we could be 3 down due to his rashness and his possession stats are way too low for a team of uniteds standing. Your obsession with blaming Ronaldo is bizarre.

RUCK4444

It’s not the cause of the issues we are seeing, we’ve had like 2 shots at goal, we aren’t even progressing the ball through the pitch, how Ronaldo is effecting that is negligible really.

In a cohesive attacking team he does what he does better than anybody, put it in the net.

sullydnl

Ross Kemp's caf ID
Current Ronaldo is what he is, both good and bad. A top level goal poacher who offers very little in other areas of the game.

You either find a way to fit a player of that profile into your team coherently, or you leave him out.

Atm we can't do anything coherently, so there's not much point in being overly critical. If our next manager were to decide he does/doesn't fit his team then that's fair enough either way really, as long as whatever he does looks like working.