The MLS thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

JB7

I didn't know that. What kind of crowds are they getting? I'm leery of MLS franchises in Florida after the abysmal turnouts from their previous 2 efforts. Tampa even had Valderrama, probably the highest profile player in MLS at the start.
Think they're getting between 6-10,000 atm but obviously that is at a lower level and their fanbase is certainly growing year on year (the franchise has only been in Orlando 3 years I think), obviously it would increase with proper MLS membership as well so there is definitely the scope for it. They're an MLS club playing at a lower level right now IMO.

brad-dyrak

how difficult is it to get walk up tix for a Sounders or Timbers game? thinking of heading up that way in mid to late August and was idly wondering about the possibility of catching a game.

I think the Timbers are about sold out most of the time, though there's always touts out and about. If you give me a week's warning, you can sit with me, and they're good seats. I've got an extra and I try to take someone different each time. Good timing to come up in August. Portland's got home games on the 3rd, 17th, and 21st.

utdalltheway

Sexy Beast
Just saw this brad. Thanks very much for the offer but I've gone ahead and booked 4 tix for the Seattle/Portland game on Aug 25th.
Best of both worlds, maybe.
Watched the Timbers win on TV on Saturday and the atmosphere looked great.

I was around when DC United had their winning seasons back in the day and that was good stuff but you guys in the NW take it to a whole new level.

ghaliboy

Snitches on Tom Hagen
Galaxy.

Nah I don't have a clue. Bout to go home from work and lay on the couch and watch it. Looking forward to watching the Galaxy for the first time in a long time. Since Beckham has departed at least.

:lol: Did not know that Fredrick Piquionne is playing for the Timbers!

Sir Matt

Blue Devil
:lol: Dallas get screwed after the lino misses a goal. It was over the line but cleared out. Too bad Don Garber refuses to implement goal-line technology.

:lol: They got an equalizer anyway! Likely was a foul on the keeper...

brad-dyrak

Has Slivestre been getting any game time, seemed off to a rough start tbh.

He was starting and player every game until he blew out his knee a month or so ago. He's out for the season. Timbers had to run off and get someone in to fill the void as they were already past stretched with injuries. The found Pa Madou Kah, who aside from having a cool name, is another Gambian for us, and played for Norway a couple of times. He's getting on though I think.

Timbers have been a joy to watch this year. It's been a hell of a turnaround.

brad-dyrak

:lol: Did not know that Fredrick Piquionne is playing for the Timbers!

Yeah, it took him a couple of games to find his legs, but he's done quite well since. His linkup play wasn't up to much at first, but he's playing in well with the rest of the team now. Honestly I'd take him over Johnson at this point.

Earthquake

Pokemon expert
He was starting and player every game until he blew out his knee a month or so ago. He's out for the season. Timbers had to run off and get someone in to fill the void as they were already past stretched with injuries. The found Pa Madou Kah, who aside from having a cool name, is another Gambian for us, and played for Norway a couple of times. He's getting on though I think.

Timbers have been a joy to watch this year. It's been a hell of a turnaround.
Ahhh, didn't hear about the injury, shame, I was hoping it'd go well for him there in the end.

I've greatly enjoyed every Timbers game I've seen this season. They seem to have a good, enthusiastic set of fans too, who deserve the good results.

brad-dyrak

Ahhh, didn't hear about the injury, shame, I was hoping it'd go well for him there in the end.
That first game was a rough start (reminded me of Evra vs City), but he settled in right quick after that. He was a much needed composed link in a rather frantic backline. It seems he adjusted to everything but the knee-bursting turf. One of the fellas I play with has gotten to know him very well since he moved here, and he's apparently quite the gent. A real class act. He was hoping to get him out to play with us, but that won't be happening now (especially as we're on turf now). It's a shame as we Alex Nimo used to play with us, and Khalif Alhassan has showed up with the other Ghanaians.

I've greatly enjoyed every Timbers game I've seen this season. They seem to have a good, enthusiastic set of fans too, who deserve the good results.
There's been sacks of of us turning out since 2001 with naught to celebrate, so we're pretty chuffed about it.

Earthquake

Pokemon expert
That first game was a rough start (reminded me of Evra vs City), but he settled in right quick after that. He was a much needed composed link in a rather frantic backline. It seems he adjusted to everything but the knee-bursting turf. One of the fellas I play with has gotten to know him very well since he moved here, and he's apparently quite the gent. A real class act. He was hoping to get him out to play with us, but that won't be happening now (especially as we're on turf now). It's a shame as we Alex Nimo used to play with us, and Khalif Alhassan has showed up with the other Ghanaians.
I saw that first game, just seemed he couldn't judge how the ball would react to the turf, but IIRC he was pretty much dropped into the team right away.

I actually thought the turf was easier on your knees, and lead to other injuries.

There's been sacks of of us turning out since 2001 with naught to celebrate, so we're pretty chuffed about it.
Nice one, congrats!

brad-dyrak

Not sure we deserved that one, but I'll take it. It was weird seeing the Timbers on the back foot. I didn't care for it one bit.

forevrared

Chivas should be thrown out of MLS and replaced. Waste of a spot when so many cities are crying out for a team.

MrMarcello

In a well-ordered universe...
Or force the Chivas ownership out and relocate the club (and not to Beckham's group).

Cities like San Antonio, St Louis, Indianapolis, Raleigh-Durham would probably provide amazing support to the club.

brad-dyrak

DC might be getting a stadium?!?! Still plenty of discussions to be had which could derail it, but this sounds more promising than the other offers I've seen. Good luck to them. Not a great spot, but whatever works.

Sir Matt

Blue Devil
MLS will expand by 4 teams by the end of the decade. Two of them would assumably be Orlando and Miami. I would love it if the Triangle got a team, but I don't see it happening. MLS would rather have another team in New York...

Garber defends Chivas USA and says they don't discriminate though avoids discussion of the legal case.

Brophs

The One and Only
I see Clint 'good enough for United' Dempsey is being linked with a move back to the MLS. Cheeky bid?

MrMarcello

In a well-ordered universe...
I doubt he'd leave Europe at age 30 but I would presume he'd go to Houston or FC Dallas, if he desires a return near home. Or could end up on a big market club like LAG or NYRB.

jem

Dempsey should have realized that Fulham was his level and stayed there.

Status
Not open for further replies.