The MMA thread

Paxi

Dagestani MMA Boiled Egg Expert
Wow. That’s was like a pro fighting an amateur.

redom

So this is the first Bellator event streamed on the BBC iPlayer right? Probably catch a few fights then watch the main event tomorrow. Hope being on the beeb gives them a boost.

Deery

Dreary
So this is the first Bellator event streamed on the BBC iPlayer right? Probably catch a few fights then watch the main event tomorrow. Hope being on the beeb gives them a boost.
I’ve watched bellator on BBC before not sure if live

redom

I’ve watched bellator on BBC before not sure if live
Ah ok, I just remember someone posting something about Bellator having a new deal with the BBC and I think whenever I've seen them on TV it was channel 5 or something. Either way it'd be great to see more MMA on terrestrial TV.

Deery

Dreary
Ah ok, I just remember someone posting something about Bellator having a new deal with the BBC and I think whenever I've seen them on TV it was channel 5 or something. Either way it'd be great to see more MMA on terrestrial TV.
Yeah be good alright, did Leah Mc Court fight already?

Paxi

Dagestani MMA Boiled Egg Expert
Nurmagomedov with a win and not a take-down in sight.

Oggmonster

Maybe because it might not be competitive if Conor don't take it seriously?

Dustin is training every day with top dogs, while Conor is living in a yacht in Abu Dhabi.
I think he took the last one seriously and I think he'll take this one seriously to, surely he's more motivated for this one? It's potentially the last interesting fight he's in (although if he loses I imagine he does a Manny fight or something.)

I don't think he's not motivated by being in Abu Dhabi, I'm sure he has a gym out there and trained there for one of his previous fights? Probably just a lot nicer than living in Ireland at the moment would be my guess, from what I've seen of it he's not doing anything mad there. Can't train 24/7

bsCallout

But Francis himself is beating up stars with high milage. The heaveyweights are all the same at the minute. Thats why Jones is moving up.
How do they even get in close to Fury because they cant get close to Francis without being shit scared of a slap and Fury is a lot bigger, rangier and deadlier with his hands.
Id believe Fury didnt have a chance if Negannu literally didnt win 5 fights in a row in under 2 minutes total with nothing but poor boxing technique. Jesus Fury would be 2 weight classes bigger than the Stipe who walked in the octogan last weekend.
We have seen Fury just come forward with scary pressure and physically dominate Wilder like a child. All he would do is rush fighters and what could they do?
:lol: please stop.

cyberman

:lol: please stop.
Why? Francis ran through a division and got the first title shot despite not knowing what wrestling was and how to to stuff a takedown? He admits it himself. He needed Usman in to show him the ropes. He dominated 90 percent of the division with only using poor boxing technique. Its not even a change of stance or any kind of adjustment, he just walked forward and knocked them out.
My point was, give the bigger, infinitely better boxer Fury 18 months to train basic takedown defence etc as Francis has.. How can he not be on a similar level?
The man has 19 professional fights at 34 years old ffs. He beat Blaydes 7 fights into his career! The man that was said to easily best Fury a few posts up.
He only started training late 20s so its not even a lifetime of learning his craft or such nonsense.
Give the bigger, more atheltic, better boxer in Fury 18 months and he would run through the same opponents imo. Mixed martial arts is a lot less mixed in the heavyweight division. Its a wasteland.

bsCallout

Why? Francis ran through a division and got the first title shot despite not knowing what wrestling was and how to to stuff a takedown? He admits it himself. He needed Usman in to show him the ropes. He dominated 90 percent of the division with only using poor boxing technique. Its not even a change of stance or any kind of adjustment, he just walked forward and knocked them out.
My point was, give the bigger, infinitely better boxer Fury 18 months to train basic takedown defence etc as Francis has.. How can he not be on a similar level?
The man has 19 professional fights at 34 years old ffs. He beat Blaydes 7 fights into his career! The man that was said to easily best Fury a few posts up.
He only started training late 20s so its not even a lifetime of learning his craft or such nonsense.
Give the bigger, more atheltic, better boxer in Fury 18 months and he would run through the same opponents imo. Mixed martial arts is a lot less mixed in the heavyweight division. Its a wasteland.
Your inability to understand the differences between hands only fighting and all limbs fighting is crazy.

Let's rattle offf a few points.

- Fury is top heavy, he has skinny legs, that is not a good base for TD defense or for absorbing kicks. His legs would get destroyed and hed be very easy to TD once you take even a single leg.

- Fury is a fighter that likes to roll punches and sit against the ropes to take some pressure off. You can't roll punches when someone is firing in 4oz gloves and can go for a TD. You also cant roll shots back against the ropes leaning, like he often does. Your back is against a cheese grater.

- Fury doesn't have the power to deter any UFC fighter from going for a TD. He couldn't even finish Wilder.

- Fury has the conditioning for boxing, jab and move for 3 minutes then rest. That is drastically different to ufc conditioning.

- Fury fights in the typical boxer stance and that lead leg would get destroyed.

- Fury isn't physically that strong, with one of the big UFC heavyweights on top of him he wouldnt stand a chance getting up.

- Whilst Fury is known to be elusive he's been caught big in pretty much every fight except against Wlad. In UFC his lights would be out.

Fury might be the fighter I'd least expect to be able to make the crossover. There is absolutely nothing he does that would translate and help him in the cage.

kidbob

Just re-watched the Holloway Kattar fight and honestly that was just just pure negligience from Herb Dean but especially from Kattar's corner. The fight could easily have been stopped halfway through round 2 but they let it go 5 rounds. How his corner ever thought that 2 rounds in Kattar had any hope of knocking out a guy that has never been dropped is insane. Honestly so many of the tragedies that have happened in these sports could be avoided if corners were more willing to accept their fighter has lost the fight and protect them from more damage.

Ironically for all the 'Stocktan' toughness Nate Diaz's corner threw in the towel after the head kick from Josh Thompson. I have to think that so much of that is because Nick was in the corner and had more than a financial care in the situation. There is a real chance that a very good fighter in Calvin Kattar will never be the same after that. Max landed more strikes than Kattar even attempted FFS.

Dirty Schwein

Has a 'Best of Britney Spears' album
Supports
Luton Town
Just re-watched the Holloway Kattar fight and honestly that was just just pure negligience from Herb Dean but especially from Kattar's corner. The fight could easily have been stopped halfway through round 2 but they let it go 5 rounds. How his corner ever thought that 2 rounds in Kattar had any hope of knocking out a guy that has never been dropped is insane. Honestly so many of the tragedies that have happened in these sports could be avoided if corners were more willing to accept their fighter has lost the fight and protect them from more damage.

Ironically for all the 'Stocktan' toughness Nate Diaz's corner threw in the towel after the head kick from Josh Thompson. I have to think that so much of that is because Nick was in the corner and had more than a financial care in the situation. There is a real chance that a very good fighter in Calvin Kattar will never be the same after that. Max landed more strikes than Kattar even attempted FFS.
Agree with every word there. But as for the bold part... Ask Nate about that fight. He'll probably tell you he won :lol:

Andersons Dietician

HaS anyone seen any of the build up stuff to Craig Jones vs Gabi Garcia? Craig Jones is hilarious. Basically Gordon Ryan was complaining nobody challenges him. Gabi Garcia did and Gordon just ignored it. Craig Jones however accepted it and they having a match. Craig Jones 194lbs. Gabi Garcia 230lbs never been submitted and only 6 people have ever beaten her. One being Mackenzie Dern.

Death by snu snu

Fortitude

TV/Monitor Expert
Scout

Speaking a lot of sense; his take on N'Gannou is pretty much spot on. He's fully aware of the pitfalls and possible outcome and he's willing to test himself against that.

AgentSmith

Speaking a lot of sense; his take on N'Gannou is pretty much spot on. He's fully aware of the pitfalls and possible outcome and he's willing to test himself against that.
‘I believe he has a chance to knock me the feck out... but if I don’t get knocked out I believe I win that fight, I just gotta get through round one.’

Seems a reasonable assessment and I believe he wants the fight. Big round to get through though. If you try and push the pace on Francis you might leave yourself exposed but then if you go super cautious he’ll be able to maintain his energy levels into the second round. Then it’s another 5 minutes of avoiding bombs. An early takedown would change everything.

How do you see the fight playing out?

I also couldn’t watch more beyond the part that Jones started talking about his duty to a higher power to make sure he realises his potential. He comes across like such a sociopath, glib in the extreme. Phenomenal fighter but a rubbish human.

Fortitude

TV/Monitor Expert
Scout
‘I believe he has a chance to knock me the feck out... but if I don’t get knocked out I believe I win that fight, I just gotta get through round one.’

Seems a reasonable assessment and I believe he wants the fight. Big round to get through though. If you try and push the pace on Francis you might leave yourself exposed but then if you go super cautious he’ll be able to maintain his energy levels into the second round. Then it’s another 5 minutes of avoiding bombs. An early takedown would change everything.

How do you see the fight playing out?

I also couldn’t watch more beyond the part that Jones started talking about his duty to a higher power to make sure he realises his potential. He comes across like such a sociopath, glib in the extreme. Phenomenal fighter but a rubbish human.
Honestly? Without seeing Jones at HW before facing off with N'Gannou, I feel as though we enter the realms of hyperbole stating his effectiveness because what we know of Jones comes 30lb lighter against much weaker and less threatening men relative to the power of the heavies.

Even without factoring in what Francis brings to the table, I feel we need to see what Jones looks like as a heavyweight - whether he has his stamina, agility as well as what tools carryover to men who don't neccesarily have to respect what he's doing in favour of going for him directly, which LHW's simply could not do.

100% agree; he's a sociopath without a doubt, imo. Thing is, he's glib, but he talks a whole lot of sense within that, certainly not someone who is not completely aware of what he's putting on the line by going up to the heavies, and, I guess, in fighting N'Gannou specifically.

George Owen

LEAVE THE SFW THREAD ALONE!!1!
Eddie Alvarez just beat the crap out of some guy, but the ref gave him a red card (literally) and disqualified him, because he might have connected a few on the back of the head (debatable).