The MMA thread

Oggmonster

Ariel hoping to get his credentials back off Dana :lol:
I don't like Helwani but it seems now he's not somewhat in bed with a UFC related company (ESPN) he'll go after the correct people instead of his weird matchmaking obsession he had where he'd take digs at the fighters.

It's obviously a money thing. Except Conor the rest of the current UFC fighters are probably seen as disposable and his stock will fall massively if he loses to Dustin again. The problem is people lap Dana's shite up, him coming out at every press conference and giving himself a platform (and having journalists in there who don't dare question him) won't make things any better cos it allows him to get his narrative over, give it a week or so and he'll feed his version to someone and people will be calling Ngannou a pussy etc and should of just taken the fight, similar to when they low balled Jones.....and in fairness I'm sure Ngannou was calling out Jones for not taking the fight so he looks a bit daft himself now.

Desert Eagle

Punjabi Dude
I don't like Helwani but it seems now he's not somewhat in bed with a UFC related company (ESPN) he'll go after the correct people instead of his weird matchmaking obsession he had where he'd take digs at the fighters.

It's obviously a money thing. Except Conor the rest of the current UFC fighters are probably seen as disposable and his stock will fall massively if he loses to Dustin again. The problem is people lap Dana's shite up, him coming out at every press conference and giving himself a platform (and having journalists in there who don't dare question him) won't make things any better cos it allows him to get his narrative over, give it a week or so and he'll feed his version to someone and people will be calling Ngannou a pussy etc and should of just taken the fight, similar to when they low balled Jones.....and in fairness I'm sure Ngannou was calling out Jones for not taking the fight so he looks a bit daft himself now.
Exactly. The fighters need to unionize or they will always be in this position.

Dirty Schwein

Has a 'Best of Britney Spears' album
Supports
Luton Town
Wasnt it a few weeks ago that some journalist was saying Dana and the UFC are single handedly keeping the 5th amendment going or some puke-worthy thing like that?

Then Ngannou speaks his mind and Dana instantly pulls out the whip. The same whip he used on Jon Jones.

Ladron de redcafe

He's going to be in deep trouble, in my opinion. I don't know how he can argue that this constituted self-defence. And he isn't helping himself with the posts on social media attempting to exculpate himself or -at the very least - extenuating the incident.

Paxi

Dagestani MMA Boiled Egg Expert
Absolute scumbag. Trying to say that his life was in danger as well. I mean the guy was just dancing there and there was absolutely no need to react this way.
This is just after somebody punched Bisping in the face and yet he walked away without defending himself.

Pogue Mahone

The caf's Camus.
"like a man in silk pyjamas shooting pigeons
Absolute scumbag. Trying to say that his life was in danger as well. I mean the guy was just dancing there and there was absolutely no need to react this way.
This is just after somebody punched Bisping in the face and yet he walked away without defending himself.
Didn’t Bisping absolutely destroy someone in a street fight a while ago? I’m sure I remember seeing some footage of him slamming someone onto the road and knocking them spark out.

Dirty Schwein

Supports
Luton Town
Didn’t Bisping absolutely destroy someone in a street fight a while ago? I’m sure I remember seeing some footage of him slamming someone onto the road and knocking them spark out.
I think he's been in a few fights on the past, even jailed for one. But he's now a lot more mellow since retiring.

Cowboy I think has been attacked in public whilst in the height of his career but usually keeps a level head.

Paxi

Dagestani MMA Boiled Egg Expert
I can't remember but these two incidents happened very close to one and other hence the comparison. Obviously, context matters. If someone starts teeing off on you, then you have every right to defend yourself with appropriate amount of force. What Schilling done was completely over the top.

Salt Bailly

Auburn, not Ginger.
I can't remember but these two incidents happened very close to one and other hence the comparison. Obviously, context matters. If someone starts teeing off on you, then you have every right to defend yourself with appropriate amount of force. What Schilling done was completely over the top.
Maybe he knew the guy's last name was Balboa and didn't want to take any chances.

Desert Eagle

Punjabi Dude
Clear assault from Schilling. That said Next Episode has probably made millions of guys feel tougher than they actually are.

cyberman

I think he's been in a few fights on the past, even jailed for one. But he's now a lot more mellow since retiring.

Cowboy I think has been attacked in public whilst in the height of his career but usually keeps a level head.
Cowboy has admitted he starts fights in bars for fun. He's an asshole.

kidbob

Dana is a piece of shit with this Francis stuff but in a way we are all responsible as fans. The amount of times I heard that Jones was scared of Francis or that DJ was scared of TJ was ridiculous. All these fans bought into Dans's bullshit. He wants you to think they don't want the fight because the opposite is realising that these guys want to be paid what their worth. So the next time that you find yourself thinking that guys who literally get into a cage to fight another person are scared then stop to think about how fecking shitty Dana and the UFC are to fighters.

If they paid the right money (as in what they deserve after years of being the best fighters in the UFC) then DJ would have fought TJ and we'd be looking forward to Jones vs Francis right now. Stop being vocal supporters of their bullshit.

Dirty Schwein

Supports
Luton Town
Dana is a piece of shit with this Francis stuff but in a way we are all responsible as fans. The amount of times I heard that Jones was scared of Francis or that DJ was scared of TJ was ridiculous. All these fans bought into Dans's bullshit. He wants you to think they don't want the fight because the opposite is realising that these guys want to be paid what their worth. So the next time that you find yourself thinking that guys who literally get into a cage to fight another person are scared then stop to think about how fecking shitty Dana and the UFC are to fighters.

If they paid the right money (as in what they deserve after years of being the best fighters in the UFC) then DJ would have fought TJ and we'd be looking forward to Jones vs Francis right now. Stop being vocal supporters of their bullshit.
Completely agree. I remember being laughed at when I said this exact thing during the Jones Ngannou fight that didn't happen.

Brown Toothpick

Supports
FC Barcelona
It's kinda sad what UFC fighters actually make compared to other sports.

Add to that the expenses, injuries and trauma. I'm surprised it lasted this long to be honest.

Oggmonster

The other fighters are 100 times worse than the fans. I agree with your sentiment but use the Jones example. Ngannou himself was saying Jones was scared of the fight, if he didn't say that or maybe even sympathised with him it may be beneficial in the long run. Instead he alludes to Jones being scared etc. Its not just Ngannou of course they all do it.

Beans

Supports
Neutral
The other fighters are 100 times worse than the fans. I agree with your sentiment but use the Jones example. Ngannou himself was saying Jones was scared of the fight, if he didn't say that or maybe even sympathised with him it may be beneficial in the long run. Instead he alludes to Jones being scared etc. Its not just Ngannou of course they all do it.
The other fighters generally do the WWE thing of fake beefs, for attention, like in boxing. Sure a few are genuine but it's mostly for show.

kidbob

Oh as @Beans stated I 100% agree with you. The fighters absolutely don't help themselves but that doesn't absolve the UFC of their bullshit. I mean, for example, Dana stated that Rob Whittaker didn't want the Izzy fight again after he beat 3 top contenders and just wanted time with his newborn child. And this is a guy who never talks shit to anyone. But yeah what the fighters really need to do is come together to combat this shit but unfortunately they won't. Conor is the real one that could make a difference if he took a stand but for me its a stain on the UFC that the fighters should be expected to do this in order to be paid what they deserve.

Oggmonster

The other fighters generally do the WWE thing of fake beefs, for attention, like in boxing. Sure a few are genuine but it's mostly for show.
Yep I get that and it's fair ebough to hype a fight that way as it works. But when a fight is called off due to your opponent wanting more money etc coming out calling him a pussy isn't a great look, especially when it comes out that you agree with him.

If fighters (rightfully) have a problem with pay then they should be trying to sort it together, slating your opponent cos they want better working conditions just gives Dana more ammo to shoot fighters down with.

Oh as @Beans stated I 100% agree with you. The fighters absolutely don't help themselves but that doesn't absolve the UFC of their bullshit. I mean, for example, Dana stated that Rob Whittaker didn't want the Izzy fight again after he beat 3 top contenders and just wanted time with his newborn child. And this is a guy who never talks shit to anyone. But yeah what the fighters really need to do is come together to combat this shit but unfortunately they won't. Conor is the real one that could make a difference if he took a stand but for me its a stain on the UFC that the fighters should be expected to do this in order to be paid what they deserve.
I'm not making excuses for Dana or the UFC, they're clearly the worst of the lot but the fighters don't help it.

I think it was Nate who said it about Cowboy, people like hm who'll fight whoever, whenever, wherever aren't helping the fighters cos it gives the UFC a fall back option and Dana will always praise fighters like that cos he knows he can keep fecking them over and they'll always come and fight. Fighters slating others for wanting better pay are the similar for me, Ngannou for example knew the reasons Jones didn't want the fight and it turns out he agrees with them, so why slate him after the fact? Especially someone like Jones where there's a million other things to go at him for!

Fortitude

TV/Monitor Expert
Scout
The exploitative chains of the UFC are already set in stone and it'll take a rival organisation poaching all the elite talent to break. Dana and co. snap these young hopefuls up when they are broke and both desperate and grateful to be getting paid to fight. Fair enough, that's fine and almost comes across as a noble exchange, but once these fighters become box office, they are undercut to such a degree that it makes the UFC a sham of an organisation.

There aren't many of these fighters - who feel indebted to the organisation for giving them their big break and changing their lives - who will speak out and certainly not enough to unionise or make a grand stand for fear of being blackballed or cut entirely. Dana rules with an iron fist and has shown even the likes of Jones and N'Gannou can, and will, be marginalised for stepping 'out of line' so what hope do those of a lesser profile have of being heard?

An unfortunate thing is Conor negotiated for himself. He's basically an island disconnected from the shite the others have to go through because of what he generates on PPV. It'd take another Conor, at the height of his value, rallying with the next rung down to even have their collective voice fairly heard and considered. Conor's worth cycle is almost at an end now and there's not another like him in the sport at the moment, so this route has no legs and is meaningless.

Basically, these guys are screwed and there's no fix in sight.

Desert Eagle

Punjabi Dude
The exploitative chains of the UFC are already set in stone and it'll take a rival organisation poaching all the elite talent to break. Dana and co. snap these young hopefuls up when they are broke and both desperate and grateful to be getting paid to fight. Fair enough, that's fine and almost comes across as a noble exchange, but once these fighters become box office, they are undercut to such a degree that it makes the UFC a sham of an organisation.

There aren't many of these fighters - who feel indebted to the organisation for giving them their big break and changing their lives - who will speak out and certainly not enough to unionise or make a grand stand for fear of being blackballed or cut entirely. Dana rules with an iron fist and has shown even the likes of Jones and N'Gannou can, and will, be marginalised for stepping 'out of line' so what hope do those of a lesser profile have of being heard?

An unfortunate thing is Conor negotiated for himself. He's basically an island disconnected from the shite the others have to go through because of what he generates on PPV. It'd take another Conor, at the height of his value, rallying with the next rung down to even have their collective voice fairly heard and considered. Conor's worth cycle is almost at an end now and there's not another like him in the sport at the moment, so this route has no legs and is meaningless.

Basically, these guys are screwed and there's no fix in sight.
There is a big lawsuit in the courts right now that could be a game changer but apart from that agree with pretty much everything you said.

Fortitude

TV/Monitor Expert
Scout
Dana White "these regulators are the weakest pussys I've ever seen" :lol:
Can you imagine him relinquishing [any] power graciously? It'll be a bloody affair with a few fighters falling foul along the way.

I know it's said he's doing the bidding of others and is basically their 'muscle' but it's clear he is that kind of character and everytime that's exposed, he has to retaliate. It will be very interesting to see what happens with N'Gannou now his team have spoken out. That's a prized asset that the UFC took time in building... so what will Dana do?

Dirty Schwein

Supports
Luton Town
Can you imagine him relinquishing [any] power graciously? It'll be a bloody affair with a few fighters falling foul along the way.

I know it's said he's doing the bidding of others and is basically their 'muscle' but it's clear he is that kind of character and everytime that's exposed, he has to retaliate. It will be very interesting to see what happens with N'Gannou now his team have spoken out. That's a prized asset that the UFC took time in building... so what will Dana do?
Dana will sort this out and come up on top. You're forgetting, this is a man who:

- Defeated the MMAAA by calling Bjorn Rebney "Bjork" in every press conference.

- Put an end to illegal streaming by "catching the fecker" responsible for all of illegal streaming.

- Responsible for bringing sports back DURING the pandemic, not after!

- He also re-instilled the 5th amendment, and the core values of America.

B0$$

Beans

Supports
Neutral
Yep I get that and it's fair ebough to hype a fight that way as it works. But when a fight is called off due to your opponent wanting more money etc coming out calling him a pussy isn't a great look, especially when it comes out that you agree with him.
I think that's a good point, on that point they should band together and not say something wild to get people to write an article. They need a fighters union.

Beans

Supports
Neutral
Hard to believe Conor will revert to his best. I’ll bet against him until he shows that form again.

kidbob

Hard to believe Conor will revert to his best. I’ll bet against him until he shows that form again.
If he reverts to his old karate style with the kicks then he knocks Dustin out within 2. Even the 'new' Dustin is no match for that Conor on the feet. However I'm expecting the same because the old style is hard on cardio so I reckon Dustin knocks him out in the third round.