The MMA thread

Ladron de redcafe

If he reverts to his old karate style with the kicks then he knocks Dustin out within 2. Even the 'new' Dustin is no match for that Conor on the feet. However I'm expecting the same because the old style is hard on cardio so I reckon Dustin knocks him out in the third round.
He tried that karate style against Diaz in the first fight and he gassed out within 7 minutes because it's more taxing. He's older than he was then and Nate couldn't punish him the way Dustin can because Nate doesn't hit anywhere near as hard as Dustin does. Goodluck trying that karate style against this Dustin. He'd be out of it faster than he was last January.

Desert Eagle

Punjabi Dude

What’s this dickhead up to know?

(to be clear, McGregor’s the dickhead)
Bringing family into it is as classless as it gets. But this is a guy who has shit talked someones family, religion and race before not to mention his other transgressions. If it's not photoshopped it's probably an innocent dm thanking him for accepting the fight or something.

Raoul

Admin
Staff

What’s this dickhead up to know?

(to be clear, McGregor’s the dickhead)
Not particularly surprising given his past antics.

This is after all the same guy who sucker punched an old guy in a pub because he refused to sample his whiskey, and posted a pic of Khabib’s wedding to inform him he married a towel.

Dirty Schwein

Has a 'Best of Britney Spears' album
Supports
Luton Town
Not particularly surprising given his past antics.

This is after all the same guy who sucker punched an old guy in a pub because he refused to sample his whiskey, and posted a pic of Khabib’s wedding to inform him he married a towel.
He is the cokehead from crumlin so being a classless idiot is to be expected. That bolded bit was funny though.

poleglass red

He tried that karate style against Diaz in the first fight and he gassed out within 7 minutes because it's more taxing. He's older than he was then and Nate couldn't punish him the way Dustin can because Nate doesn't hit anywhere near as hard as Dustin does. Goodluck trying that karate style against this Dustin. He'd be out of it faster than he was last January.
first fight he punched himself out. He came into that fight having just knocked out Aldo, as he had done basically to all his previous opponents. He caught Diaz early and went for the finish. Difference was he had moved up 2 weight classes and Diaz could take his power.The 2nd fight he was much more reserved, He will have to adapt here in this 2nd fight also if he has a chance. Might be more competitive for 2-3 rounds, but see Dustin still stopping him.

Raoul

Admin
Staff
What continues to be evident with Conor is that he doesn't have a chin, which means he is vulnerable when matched against very good strikers (which Dustin clearly is). He also doesn't have ground game, so his fights end up being comical displays of him attempting to prove he's worked on his take down defense. Once he's on the ground he's finished. He also doesn't have the self-confidence and swag he had during the Aldo, Nate 1 & 2 periods...which tends to happen when you get humiliated by Khabib and Dustin.

bsCallout

What continues to be evident with Conor is that he doesn't have a chin, which means he is vulnerable when matched against very good strikers (which Dustin clearly is). He also doesn't have ground game, so his fights end up being comical displays of him attempting to prove he's worked on his take down defense. Once he's on the ground he's finished. He also doesn't have the self-confidence and swag he had during the Aldo, Nate 1 & 2 periods...which tends to happen when you get humiliated by Khabib and Dustin.
Lots of top strikers don't have strong ground game, and their fight resolves around TK defence and striking. Thats common sense and playing to your strengths, just look at Adesanya. Not sure how that can be used against anyone. Don't get how he was humiliated by Dustin or even Khabib? He was beat in a fight against two of the best fighters in the world. By that reckoning every fighter that has lost to them was humiliated.

Raoul

Admin
Staff
Lots of top strikers don't have strong ground game, and their fight resolves around TK defence and striking. Thats common sense and playing to your strengths, just look at Adesanya. Not sure how that can be used against anyone. Don't get how he was humiliated by Dustin or even Khabib? He was beat in a fight against two of the best fighters in the world. By that reckoning every fighter that has lost to them was humiliated.
Adesanya is obviously world class striker, which Conor is clearly not. He's a good striker, but in a much more one dimensional sense.

He got humiliated because of his shit talking persona. A "normal" fighter would've simply been perceived as losing to two very good fighters. When you build your brand around hype and puffery to the extent Conor has, losing makes you look exponentially more foolish.

bsCallout

Adesanya is obviously world class striker, which Conor is clearly not. He's a good striker, but in a much more one dimensional sense.

He got humiliated because of his shit talking persona. A "normal" fighter would've simply been perceived as losing to two very good fighters. When you build your brand around hype and puffery to the extent Conor has, losing makes you look exponentially more foolish.
Conor isn't a world class striker? Ok. No more needs to be said. Also Conor didn't trash talk against Dustin in the second fight so your theory doesn't hold up.

Pogue Mahone

The caf's Camus.
"like a man in silk pyjamas shooting pigeons
I'll give you that with Khabib. Though hard to claim anyone getting in their doing that can be humiliated.
But that’s where I agree with @Raoul that Conor is much more at risk of being humiliated than everyone else because he’s constantly talking shit. So much more pressure on him than other fighters to back up his tough talk or look like a chump.

Raoul

Admin
Staff
Conor isn't a world class striker? Ok. No more needs to be said. Also Conor didn't trash talk against Dustin in the second fight so your theory doesn't hold up.
No he's not. He's fought 3 times in 5 years and lost two of those fights. The only reason he won the other is because Dana intentially gave him an easy fight against a late career, punch drunk Cowboy. So if he hasn't demonstrated being a world class striker in over 5 years then its safe to say he probably isn't one.

bsCallout

But that’s where I agree with @Raoul that Conor is much more at risk of being humiliated than everyone else because he’s constantly talking shit. So much more pressure on him than other fighters to back up his tough talk or look like a chump.
Of course but humiliated is a stretch. Also it seems his shit talking is just as much a part of him getting prepared mentally as anything.

bsCallout

No he's not. He's fought 3 times in 5 years and lost two of those fights. The only reason he won the other is because Dana intentially gave him an easy fight against a late career, punch drunk Cowboy. So if he hasn't demonstrated being a world class striker in over 5 years then its safe to say he probably isn't one.
Completely dominated Cowboy. Was striking well in Khabib fight despite TD risk and was striking very well in the Poitier fight. Losing doesn't change that. Your hatred is blinding you if you're really going to claim McGregor isn't a top class striker. Absolute nonsense.

Dirty Schwein

Supports
Luton Town
I think Conor was 100% humiliated by Khabib. He acted too much the big daddy before the fight and then got whooped in such a one-sided beating and claimed "it's only business" between rounds. It was akin to the beating my dad would give me back in the day.

The Poirier loss wasn't as embarrassing as the lead up wasn't as toxic but the stuff with the refusal to donate to the charity after saying he would was a bad look.

Raoul

Admin
Staff
Completely dominated Cowboy. Was striking well in Khabib fight despite TK risk and was striking very well in the Poitier fight. Losing doesn't change that. Your hatred is blinding you if you're really going to claim McGregor isn't a top class striker. Absolute nonsense.
Do you actually watch MMA ? I just told you that he has demonstrated feck all in terms of being a world class striker.

Khabib, the grappling goat nearly knocked Conor out.

Dustin then actually did TKO him.

(No one cares about a washed up Cowboy on the verge of retirement).

So where in his latest fights has he demonstrated "world class" striking ?

bsCallout

Do you actually watch MMA ? I just told you that he has demonstrated feck all in terms of being a world class striker.

Khabib, the grappling goat nearly knocked Conor out.

Dustin then actually did TKO him.

(No one cares about a washed up Cowboy on the verge of retirement).

So where in his latest fights has he demonstrated "world class" striking ?
Not only do I watch it, I fight. I imagine you don't and that's why you're so quick to claim people are humiliated or isn't good at something just because of a loss.

Being beaten doesn't mean he's not a world class striker. And he didn't nearly get TKOd by Khabib, give over! Absolute troll comment.

He got handily beaten by Khabibs wrestling but Conor was striking nice. In the Poirier rematch Conor was striking very very well until his leg was chopped to bits and then Poirier being one of the most relentless punchers. Poirier even admitting had Conor put it on him after catching him he could have been out.

Like I said your hatred is clouding your judgement. He is one of most accomplished strikers in the UFC and you're trying to claim he isn't world class?

Just ignore all his accomplishments. That'll work.

Raoul

Admin
Staff
Not only do I watch it, I fight. I imagine you don't and that's why you're so quick to claim people are humiliated or isn't good at something just because of a loss.

Being beaten doesn't mean he's not a world class striker. And he didn't nearly get TKOd by Khabib, give over! Absolute troll comment.

He got handily beaten by Khabibs wrestling but Conor was striking nice. In the Poirier rematch Conor was striking very very well until his leg was chopped to bits and then Poirier being one of the most relentless punchers. Poirier even admitting had Conor put it on him after catching him he could have been out.

Like I said your hatred is clouding your judgement. He is one of most accomplished strikers in the UFC and you're trying to claim he isn't world class?

Just ignore all his accomplishments. That'll work.
What accomplishments would those be ? The Aldo and Alvarez fights were 7 and 5 years ago respectively. What has he done lately to warrant being referred to as a "world class" striker against quality opposition (which Cowboy Cerrone at this late stage of his career is clearly not).

bsCallout

What accomplishments would those be ? The Aldo and Alvarez fights were 7 and 5 years ago respectively. What has he done lately to warrant being referred to as a "world class" striker against quality opposition (which Cowboy Cerrone at this late stage of his career is clearly not).
It doesn't matter when it was, and you discredit what ever fights you want. You're picking and choosing to try and make a ridiculous claim.

He is one of the best strikers the sport has seen and his accomplishments prove that. Whether or not he'll back to the level he was fighting at is irrelevant to that.

He completely outstruck Poirier in the first round, Poirier cleverly adjusted and took him legs from under him. That doesn't mean he's not a top striker. Just like Izzy being outstruck by Jan doesn't mean he's not a top striker. They are two of the best in the world.

And what are you going to claim if he wins this weekend?

Raoul

Admin
Staff
It doesn't matter when it was, and you discredit what ever fights you want. You're picking and choosing to try and make a ridiculous claim.

He is one of the best strikers the sport has seen and his accomplishments prove that. Whether or not he'll back to the level he was fighting at is irrelevant to that.

He completely outstruck Poirier in the first round, Poirier cleverly adjusted and took him legs from under him. That doesn't mean he's not a top striker. Just like Izzy being outstruck by Jan doesn't mean he's not a top striker. They are two of the best in the world.

And what are you going to claim if he wins this weekend?
I'm dealing in facts - you're dealing in adolescent "you're just a hater" talk.

Depending on the circumstances, if he beats Dustin I will probably be impressed. Will that prove he's a world class striker ? Probably not, since he hasn't been one in half a decade. We're talking about a fighter who has lost 3 of his past 6 fights here.

bsCallout

Depending on the circumstances, if he beats Dustin I will probably be impressed. Will that prove he's a world class striker ? Probably not, since he hasn't been one in half a decade. We're talking about a fighter who has lost 3 of his past 6 fights here.
You're not dealing in facts. Don't equate your opinion with a fact.

Losing fights doesn't mean you arent a top striker. Perhaps you should learn that.

I'm not going to break down the losses, but they certainly don't show him as not being a top striker, any of them. The only thing you could claim is that his power doesn't seem to carry up to the higher weight classes, although that could be contested.

Edit: The fact you won't give him his dues for beating someone as good as Poirier because of inactivity basically shows you're blinded.

Oggmonster

I think Conor was 100% humiliated by Khabib. He acted too much the big daddy before the fight and then got whooped in such a one-sided beating and claimed "it's only business" between rounds. It was akin to the beating my dad would give me back in the day.

The Poirier loss wasn't as embarrassing as the lead up wasn't as toxic but the stuff with the refusal to donate to the charity after saying he would was a bad look.

He did donate in the end didn't he? I criticised him at the time as well but didn't loads of stuff come out where he/his team was checking the legitimacy of the charity and had some questions about it? Seems fair enough when donating a million quid. In fact from what I remember Poirier was the one who had to apologise for doing that cos he made McGregor look a bit of a prick when he'd actually done nothing wrong in that instance.

I think regarding all the other stuff it seems McGregor always divides opinion, I don't know if he's at the level of the Alvarez fight (which for me was his best performance) cos he has only fought 3 times since then and 2 of them were elite opposition. I thought he did alright in Round 1 of Poirier and looked good but obviously it's only 1 round so can't really show that much. I do think people go way OTT when criticising him though and try and play down anything he's ever done.

The one thing it does show though is no one generates as much interest as him, I did think if he lost this fight he'd be done at the top level but I don't think that's the case, he could probably lose 3 or 4 in a row and still be the biggest name in the sport, no one comes close to him.

Dirty Schwein

Supports
Luton Town
He did donate in the end didn't he? I criticised him at the time as well but didn't loads of stuff come out where he/his team was checking the legitimacy of the charity and had some questions about it? Seems fair enough when donating a million quid. In fact from what I remember Poirier was the one who had to apologise for doing that cos he made McGregor look a bit of a prick when he'd actually done nothing wrong in that instance.

I think regarding all the other stuff it seems McGregor always divides opinion, I don't know if he's at the level of the Alvarez fight (which for me was his best performance) cos he has only fought 3 times since then and 2 of them were elite opposition. I thought he did alright in Round 1 of Poirier and looked good but obviously it's only 1 round so can't really show that much. I do think people go way OTT when criticising him though and try and play down anything he's ever done.

The one thing it does show though is no one generates as much interest as him, I did think if he lost this fight he'd be done at the top level but I don't think that's the case, he could probably lose 3 or 4 in a row and still be the biggest name in the sport, no one comes close to him.
I think he donated to some other charity instead? I could be wrong. As for fact checking, Poirier said his team were willing to help McG's team with whatever info they needed but McG's team wouldnt respond to any calls. Poirier apologised for making the spat public. Don't think McGregor paid anything to his charity in the end.

ZupZup

If you were to ask any 10 UFC fighters if McGregor was a world class striker... I am fairly confident every single one would say yes. Your opinion is almost certainly the outlier here.

Oggmonster

I think he donated to some other charity instead? I could be wrong. As for fact checking, Poirier said his team were willing to help McG's team with whatever info they needed but McG's team wouldnt respond to any calls. Poirier apologised for making the spat public. Don't think McGregor paid anything to his charity in the end.
Yeah I think with stuff like that though it's easy to judge (I am guilty cos I did it myself) without knowing all the facts. It's a lot of money to donate. I'm sure Dustin's charity is perfectly legit and for a great cause but someone donating money is well within their rights to do their own background checks etc. At the end of the day a charity got a lot of money so it's all good for me.

poleglass red

he did donate, Dustin confirmed it recently, he give it to another charity in the same area "He ended up donating $500,000 to the boys and girls' club over in Acadiana. It's a great charity and the money's going to go where it needs to and help the youth in south Louisiana so charity wins in the end; mission accomplished."
I think it was silly what happened and should never have went public. Don't think either was in the wrong, Dustin wanted the money asap and Conor's team were doing their due diligence to determine were funds would go.

Raoul

Admin
Staff
If you were to ask any 10 UFC fighters if McGregor was a world class striker... I am fairly confident every single one would say yes. Your opinion is almost certainly the outlier here.
This might have been the case around the time when he was beating the likes of Mendes, Aldo, and Alvarez (as in 6-8 years ago), but it certainly isn't the case now. World class strikers tend to win a majority of their fights, not 50 percent of them.

Raoul

Admin
Staff
You're not dealing in facts. Don't equate your opinion with a fact.

Losing fights doesn't mean you arent a top striker. Perhaps you should learn that.

I'm not going to break down the losses, but they certainly don't show him as not being a top striker, any of them. The only thing you could claim is that his power doesn't seem to carry up to the higher weight classes, although that could be contested.

Edit: The fact you won't give him his dues for beating someone as good as Poirier because of inactivity basically shows you're blinded.
He has lost two of this past three fights and three of his past 6. These are facts, not opinion. Losing half of your fights whilst being a world class striker is quite an accomplishment.

ZupZup

This might have been the case around the time when he was beating the likes of Mendes, Aldo, and Alvarez (as in 6-8 years ago), but it certainly isn't the case now. World class strikers tend to win a majority of their fights, not 50 percent of them.
It's absolute nonsense. There's more to winning a fight than just how good a striker you are.

I think Conor loses to Dustin again this weekend... I think he's a better striker than him though. Dustin is also brilliant. Yet Dustin has a better chin, better stamina and consistently shows he can dig very deep whenever he faces any adversity in a fight.

poleglass red

of course he was a world class striker, his record proves it. Inactivity, moving up in weight, age, slowing down means he probably isn't anymore. Conor had power but it was his speed more than anything, he caught fighters with punches they didn't see coming.

Raoul

Admin
Staff
It's absolute nonsense. There's more to winning a fight than just how good a striker you are.

I think Conor loses to Dustin again this weekend... I think he's a better striker than him though. Dustin is also brilliant. Yet Dustin has a better chin, better stamina and consistently shows he can dig very deep whenever he faces any adversity in a fight.
I don't disagree with your first line. But that's a different statement than claiming Conor is a world class striker in the present when he hasn't demonstrated that he is. It would be like saying Weidman is a world class striker for beating Anderson Silva in 2014. No one would claim he is the same fighter today than what he was back then. The exact same thing applies to Conor. I actually think he will fight well against Poirier on Saturday because he has shown an aptitude to learn from past mistakes (such as the difference between Nate 1 and Nate 2). But again, these are different topics from him being a world class striker in the present. He has to demonstrate that first.

Raoul

Admin
Staff
of course he was a world class striker, his record proves it. Inactivity, moving up in weight, age, slowing down means he probably isn't anymore. Conor had power but it was his speed more than anything, he caught fighters with punches they didn't see coming.
When was the last time he did this against world class opposition ?

bsCallout

He took out cowboy quicker than anyone. He had Poirier admit he was caught bad and he outstruck Nate who doesn't go down to anything. There's nothing to suggest even an inactive Conor isn't a top striker. People here aren't even prepared to admit he's a top class striker if he best Poirier this weekend.

Dirty Schwein

Supports
Luton Town
I don't disagree with your first line. But that's a different statement than claiming Conor is a world class striker in the present when he hasn't demonstrated that he is. It would be like saying Weidman is a world class striker for beating Anderson Silva in 2014. No one would claim he is the same fighter today than what he was back then. The exact same thing applies to Conor. I actually think he will fight well against Poirier on Saturday because he has shown an aptitude to learn from past mistakes (such as the difference between Nate 1 and Nate 2). But again, these are different topics from him being a world class striker in the present. He has to demonstrate that first.
That's a bad comparison as Weidman was always a wrestler who just caught Silva.

A better one is: would you consider Anderson Silva a world class striker today?

ZupZup

But you are saying he is no longer a world class striker, based on what? I can admit it looks like he is past his best... but I don't know how you can say he isn't a world class striker now. Is it purely due to inaction so therefore he can't be? Cerrone was well past his best, but McGregor's striking in that fight was exceptional. Against Poirier I felt like he lacked variety, but despite that... won the first round before crumbling in the second after the leg kicks. Credit to Dustin who is an exceptional fighter.

Desert Eagle

Punjabi Dude
Conor is a great striker. No doubt about it. The question though is does his power translate to lightweight? His one good win at that weight class was against Eddie Alvarez and he needed like 5-6 clean shots to tko him. His ground game is also weak comparatively.

Schmeichel's Cartwheel

Correctly predicted Italy to win Euro 2020
The “its only business” pleading when Khabib was kicking his arse was fairly humiliating.
Was it ever confirmed that he actually said that? It came from Khabib's manager, who isn't exactly the best source. Conor himself claimed he said "don't be bitching" because Khabib was complaining to the ref about the numerous uncalled fouls McGregor was committing like grabbing the gloves and holding the cage etc.

We'll probably never know the true answer as both sides are unreliable and the audio is poor.

bsCallout

He has lost two of this past three fights and three of his past 6. These are facts, not opinion. Losing half of your fights whilst being a world class striker is quite an accomplishment.
Losing does not mean he is not a top striker. Don't you understand that? MMA is more than just striking.

He outstruck Nate even in the fight he lost. He outstruck Poirier in the first round in that fight he lost and the second to be honest, except the leg kicks. What else is there? A loss against the best wrestler in the game?

There is nothing that shows Conor is not one of the top strikers in the world, even now. And he can prove it again this weekend, but you won't accept that either for some bizarre reason

Raoul

Admin
Staff
But you are saying he is no longer a world class striker, based on what? I can admit it looks like he is past his best... but I don't know how you can say he isn't a world class striker now. Is it purely due to inaction so therefore he can't be? Cerrone was well past his best, but McGregor's striking in that fight was exceptional. Against Poirier I felt like he lacked variety, but despite that... won the first round before crumbling in the second after the leg kicks. Credit to Dustin who is an exceptional fighter.
Based on the fact that he hasn't demonstrated he is lately. You don't get to claim you're a world class striker for something you did earlier in your career, whilst not having shown you can do it recently or in the present. I thought this would've been perfectly laid out in previous posts.